Author Topic: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use  (Read 40457 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »
I think to best help the new law, is to respect it.  I think the people in these states did a great thing, but if they are going to be stupid, then they don't deserve the privelage IMO.

I did read that the state doesnt plan to enforce parts of the law like smoking outside just yet until they spread more word about the details to the people, but yea, if you cant smoke cigarettes inside, you arent going to be able to smoke marijuana obviously.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
That might depend upon how the law is worded.  If it specifically says "no smoking of tobacco products" because they were trying to cover cigarettes, cigars, or pipes, because anything else was illegal anyway, then there is a loophole now that pot is legal.  If it says "no smoking of anything" (or whatever appropriate legal wording) then yeah, that would include pot as well.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
Quote from: RCW 70.160.020
(1) "Smoke" or "smoking" means the carrying or smoking of any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, or any other lighted smoking equipment.

Doesn't say that it has to be tobacco.

edit: copied section number wrong...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:26:45 PM by slycordinator »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
One Seattle bar is trying to beat the competition by officially advertising that they allow pot smoking inside. Someone might want to explain to the owner why restaurants/bars in Washington haven't had "smoking sections" for many years. Idiot.
Doesn't mean you have to follow them.  When smoking in bars was banned in South Dakota, some owners shouldered the fines for as long as they could, because they felt their business, their right to decide, which I agree with.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
Quote from: RCW 70.60.020
(1) "Smoke" or "smoking" means the carrying or smoking of any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, or any other lighted smoking equipment.

Doesn't say that it has to be tobacco.

Well there you go.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »
One Seattle bar is trying to beat the competition by officially advertising that they allow pot smoking inside. Someone might want to explain to the owner why restaurants/bars in Washington haven't had "smoking sections" for many years. Idiot.
Doesn't mean you have to follow them.  When smoking in bars was banned in South Dakota, some owners shouldered the fines for as long as they could, because they felt their business, their right to decide, which I agree with.
The fines are easy to handle (up to $100 per day where a violation occurred). The fact that the health department is enforcing the ban isn't as easy to avoid. And it requires the health department to call upon their attorneys, those of the cities/towns involved, or the county prosecutor to obtain separate civil penalties.

All that can add up quick.

And they run the risk of being shut down outright.

Offline black_floyd

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »
I can understand the legality thing if someone wants to use that as the basis of their anti-weed smoking in establishments argument but I think the main beef with smoking tobacco indoors was the issue with its aroma. I've heard from numerous sources that it would take an unfathomable amount of second hand weed smoke ("impossible" may actually be a more accurate way to describe it) to cause a non-weed smoker to fail a drug test.

Also, it's pretty doubtful that nearly as many people are as grossed out by weed aroma as they are by tobacco aroma and that has a huge deal to do with the fact that weed is usually not drenched in toxic chemicals (to artificially boost its addictive properties) which means you're merely smelling a burning plant instead of a hazmat fire. Lastly, tobacco smoke odor can linger for days on the clothing of non-smokers who spent an evening in a bar  whereas the stench weed smoke leaves on clothing can dissipate in just a few hours even if you were the person smoking it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:46:47 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2012, 04:15:12 AM »
I can understand the legality thing if someone wants to use that as the basis of their anti-weed smoking in establishments argument but I think the main beef with smoking tobacco indoors was the issue with its aroma. I've heard from numerous sources that it would take an unfathomable amount of second hand weed smoke ("impossible" may actually be a more accurate way to describe it) to cause a non-weed smoker to fail a drug test.

Also, it's pretty doubtful that nearly as many people are as grossed out by weed aroma as they are by tobacco aroma and that has a huge deal to do with the fact that weed is usually not drenched in toxic chemicals (to artificially boost its addictive properties) which means you're merely smelling a burning plant instead of a hazmat fire. Lastly, tobacco smoke odor can linger for days on the clothing of non-smokers who spent an evening in a bar  whereas the stench weed smoke leaves on clothing can dissipate in just a few hours even if you were the person smoking it.
Not sure where you're getting your info.  The problem with smoking indoors is secondhand smoke, not the aroma of cigarettes. 

Likewise, most non-weed-smokers dislike the aroma of weed.  A lot.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »
I think it's probably both, in both cases.  Now that I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, I find the smell of cigarette smoke pretty disgusting, but I'm also quite aware of the second-hand smoke issue.

I haven't completely given up weed, but I do know that not everyone enjoys the smell.  And I wouldn't be surprised if some people are paranoid about the second-hand effects, both the health issue and the possibility of it showing up in a drug test.  Justified or not, if these are actual concerns of people, they will affect behavior, and voting.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2012, 01:57:12 PM »
If the main beef about it was the smell, then why does the anti-smoking law specifically have the health department involved? Could it be because the people see it as a health concern? They purposely framed it as being about how workers shouldn't be forced to hang around second-hand smoke that isn't good for your lungs just to have a job. And although it can be fair to say "people choose to have jobs with smoking allowed" it's not as fair in the economic climate of today.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
This is why I have a problem with people who smoke weed. Despite the secondhand smoking fact that I'm not interested in at all, the aroma is just god awful.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
This is why I have a problem with people who smoke weed. Despite the secondhand smoking fact that I'm not interested in at all, the aroma is just god awful.

I beg to differ.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »
I don’t have a problem with people smoking weed, or people who do partake. But goddamn do I hate the smell, and am glad it is included in our non-smoking laws that someone indicated above.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »
Most of the smell you guys find objectionable is the paper, not the grass.  Zig-zags are damned effective but they really do stink.  If y'all were around somebody smoking out of a bong or a pipe, you'd probably not smell it at all, or in the case of some really nice bud, think it smells nice.  Really good grass might as well be potpourri. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2012, 04:21:42 AM »
If you were vaporizing it'd smell like popcorn.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2012, 05:47:51 AM »
High quality bud smells really good but I do wonder if a pot smokers mind is tricked by associating the smell with the knowledge of the good feeling and therefore like the smell. I wonder this because I only know of one non smoker who enjoys the smell.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2012, 07:43:50 AM »
Most of the smell you guys find objectionable is the paper, not the grass.  Zig-zags are damned effective but they really do stink.  If y'all were around somebody smoking out of a bong or a pipe, you'd probably not smell it at all, or in the case of some really nice bud, think it smells nice.  Really good grass might as well be potpourri. 

I think you're right.  When people are smoking joints, you smell the weed, but there's a "dirty" quality to the smoke.  If people are hitting a pipe, you just smell the sweetness of the herb.  I'm not sure why I've never really thought about it like that before.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
High quality bud smells really good but I do wonder if a pot smokers mind is tricked by associating the smell with the knowledge of the good feeling and therefore like the smell. I wonder this because I only know of one non smoker who enjoys the smell.
No, it's definitely the bud.  If you've been around somebody smoking hash or keef, it almost smells like candy.  The plant matter still has some unpleasantness, but all those sticky crystals will overpower that. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
My college roommate and his pals smoked a bong all the time and I hated that smell just as much. But now that you mention it, I do recognize it as a different odor. Still foul though :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
The smell of bud in a fresh pipe is good. Like an inscence, i know a lot of people whom dont smoke but like the smell.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »
Looks like the DEA is raiding dispensaries in Seattle....

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2013, 04:01:05 AM »
Looks like the DEA is raiding dispensaries in Seattle....

I read about this. I'm trying to remain optimistic. I believe it was four shops that were raided. I guess all four were raided more than two years ago, before the legalized laws erectus put in place. The Feds are saying that these raids were part of an ongoing/unfinished investigation.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »
(slight tangent)

So my office was contracted to do the design for an indoor greenhouse with controlled environment for a "weed farm" as we now come to call it.  Its a very large scale operation; the tent in the photo is one of at least 4.  This is 100% legal as its contracted for a medical facility.  There are strict government protocols that has to be adhered to. 

Funny background:  There were three partners that invested in this.  Of course the government did a full background check of each of them.  Turns out one of the guy was an active member of the mafia!  Needless to say, the entire project was shutdown for months while everyone (including our office) were investigated further.

The main investor on this is a friend of my boss; he was explaining how he is getting his foot in early in what is undoubtedly an industry that can only grow in the foreseeable future.

The purple is from the UV lamps used.  Sorry for the camera lens protector;  :facepalm:

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/9959/gjvz.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/2649/v0f3.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/5992/63vo.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img823/8382/zzlh.jpg

Free samples soon, i hope :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
That place is beautiful.

Sidebar. Over a dozen cities in Colorado are not allowing the distribution of marijuana despite the fact that it is legal on the state level. I'm guessing they'll come around real quick when they see how much revenue their neighboring towns are generating.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
(slight tangent)

So my office was contracted to do the design for an indoor greenhouse with controlled environment for a "weed farm" as we now come to call it.  Its a very large scale operation; the tent in the photo is one of at least 4.  This is 100% legal as its contracted for a medical facility.  There are strict government protocols that has to be adhered to. 
The fact that it's for a medical facility is meaningless, imo, considering that the federal government has marijuana in schedule I, defining it as having no medical value. Add the fact that it's a felony to grow (and with possible large prison time and fines for such a large operation) and that they ruled that you don't even have the right to grow your own pot, it's definitely not "100% legal."

Not meant to be a killjoy, but just pointing out what the feds would have to say about it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2013, 05:50:42 AM »
What exactly have the feds said about it?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »
From the looks of that crop those free samples are still a few months away  :corn

:beentheredonethat.jpg

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »
(slight tangent)

The fact that it's for a medical facility is meaningless, imo, considering that the federal government has marijuana in schedule I, defining it as having no medical value. Add the fact that it's a felony to grow (and with possible large prison time and fines for such a large operation) and that they ruled that you don't even have the right to grow your own pot, it's definitely not "100% legal."

Not meant to be a killjoy, but just pointing out what the feds would have to say about it.

The federal government was involved.  In my post I mentioned criminal backgrounds, which was partially conducted at the federal level  It might not be 100% legal to the book, per se, but it does have its ok from the state and federal.  Not sure how they finagled it though...

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »
(slight tangent)

Funny background:  There were three partners that invested in this.  Of course the government did a full background check of each of them.  Turns out one of the guy was an active member of the mafia!  Needless to say, the entire project was shutdown for months while everyone (including our office) were investigated further.

The main investor on this is a friend of my boss; he was explaining how he is getting his foot in early in what is undoubtedly an industry that can only grow in the foreseeable future.

The purple is from the UV lamps used.  Sorry for the camera lens protector;  :facepalm:

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/9959/gjvz.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/2649/v0f3.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/5992/63vo.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img823/8382/zzlh.jpg

Free samples soon, i hope :biggrin:
Not how I'd do it. Should work well for bulk, but I'd want considerably more room for quality control. That's a one size fits all plan. It's also very low maintenance, which I guess is a plus, but see above; good quality takes effort.
E.F. Benson

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
(slight tangent)

The federal government was involved.  In my post I mentioned criminal backgrounds, which was partially conducted at the federal level  It might not be 100% legal to the book, per se, but it does have its ok from the state and federal.  Not sure how they finagled it though...
Sure, you mentioned criminal background checks... which only means that the feds did a background check on the individuals not that they approved the facility to grow weed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »
Update:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/29/politics/holder-marijuana-laws/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The Justice Department said it won't try to block state laws that legalize marijuana and issued loosened enforcement guidelines for federal prosecutors intended to focus on serious trafficking cases.

Attorney General Eric Holder, in a conference call Thursday morning, notified the governors of Colorado and Washington that the department, for now, will not seek to pre-empt those states' laws, which followed voters' approval of ballot measures that legalized recreational marijuana use.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
Update:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/29/politics/holder-marijuana-laws/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The Justice Department said it won't try to block state laws that legalize marijuana and issued loosened enforcement guidelines for federal prosecutors intended to focus on serious trafficking cases.

Attorney General Eric Holder, in a conference call Thursday morning, notified the governors of Colorado and Washington that the department, for now, will not seek to pre-empt those states' laws, which followed voters' approval of ballot measures that legalized recreational marijuana use.

Just came here to post this.

The Huff Post has a few more details about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/29/eric-holder-marijuana-washington-colorado-doj_n_3837034.html

The memo also outlines eight priorities for federal prosecutors enforcing marijuana laws. According to the guidance, DOJ will still prosecute individuals or entities to prevent:
 •the distribution of marijuana to minors;
 •revenue from the sale of marijuana from going to criminal enterprises, gangs and cartels;
 •the diversion of marijuana from states where it is legal under state law in some form to other states;
 •state-authorized marijuana activity from being used as a cover or pretext for the trafficking of other illegal drugs or other illegal activity;
 •violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana
 •drugged driving and the exacerbation of other adverse public health consequences associated with marijuana use;
 •growing of marijuana on public lands and the attendant public safety and environmental dangers posed by marijuana production on public lands;
 •preventing marijuana possession or use on federal property.

I'm cool with it.  :hat

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
Wait.... environmental dangers caused by marijuana being grown? What exactly is that?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
Wait.... environmental dangers caused by marijuana being grown? What exactly is that?

I'm guessing a Marijuana farm dumping hazardous fertilizers into a nearby stream or something. It's a stretch, but it could go as far as the energy efficiency of the building. No excessive carbon emissions, enviromentally friendly grow lights, etc...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:44:55 PM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
So does that mean it it practically legal for recreational use in the country?  By practically I mean it is still illegal, but will not be enforced unless you are an idiot and break one of those outlined rules?