Author Topic: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use  (Read 45617 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
"
On Tuesday night, Amendment 64 -- the measure which sought the legalization of marijuana for recreational use by adults -- was passed by Colorado voters, making Colorado the first state to end marijuana prohibition in the United States."

"Under Amendment 64, marijuana is taxed and regulated similar to alcohol and tobacco. It gives state and local governments the ability to control and tax the sale of small amounts of marijuana to adults age 21 and older. According to the Associated Press, analysts project that that tax revenue could generate somewhere between $5 million and $22 million a year in the state. An economist whose study was funded by a pro-pot group projects as much as a $60 million boost by 2017."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/amendment-64-passes-in-co_n_2079899.html

Your thoughts?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »
... Somehow it seems really strange to me that it would be Colorado. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Lost within a world I chose to hide
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:12 PM »

Why?  If I remember correctly, Boulder is basically a hippie commune.  And, in spite of the state's conservative politics, the vibe is supposedly pretty laid back.

Good on Colorado for doing something that desperately needed to happen.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:18:53 PM by ReaPsTA »
We must learn to rise above the past
Before we can at last
Begin again

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:00:52 PM »
Washington passed for recreational use too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/marijuana-legalization-results_n_2074168.html

:Initiative 502 legalizes it but only for people over the age of 21. And sorry green thumbs: personal cultivation without a license is still illegal.:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
Why?  If I remember correctly, Boulder is basically a hippie commune.  And, in spite of its conservative politics, the vibe is supposedly pretty laid back.

I really don't know.  It just seems odd to me.

Anyway, yeah, great for them.  I predict a lot of people very suddenly moving to Colorado. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
 :'(
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »
personal cultivation without a license is still illegal.:

That honestly seems like the most bullshit part about this initiative. It's obviously a sell-out to moneyed interests. It honestly reminds me of the kind of nespotism that really started the American Revolution, when the British Parliament tried to give the East Indies Tea Company an obviously hand out, and we had the Tea Party.

By the way, what power of the government is used to argue that you can tell people what they can grow in their back yard? It's always seemed like an obvious Constitutional overstep to me. The Commerce Clause is obviously the rational for how they can prevent trafficking, but growing a plant in your back yard for personal use? What?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Do NOT, complain about this :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
The Colorado deal is pretty cool.  The Washington version is a sham.  Still, it's a nice step forward.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:29 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:15:48 PM »
Do NOT, complain about this :lol

Oh, Colorado is obviously a step forward. And I think this might get the discussion going on the national scale. It's a discussion that needs to happen, but it is disappointing that the Washington initiative is so obviously flawed.

The best news about it, though, is that people were cool with legalizing it, despite it's flaws. It shows the popular support for the idea.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »

Why?  If I remember correctly, Boulder is basically a hippie commune.  And, in spite of its conservative politics, the vibe is supposedly pretty laid back.

Good on Colorado for doing something that desperately needed to happen.

Knowing personally of Colorado's closet hippie-dippieness, I'm actually more surprised that it didn't happen sooner.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
The best news about it, though, is that people were cool with legalizing it, despite it's flaws. It shows the popular support for the idea.
I suspect a helluva lot of it's supporters don't realize just how screwed up it is.  The Cali proposition was even worse, and the stoners supported it in droves.  None of them had a clue that they were screwing themselves by voting for it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
I suspect a helluva lot of it's supporters don't realize just how screwed up it is.  The Cali proposition was even worse, and the stoners supported it in droves.  None of them had a clue that they were screwing themselves by voting for it.

Basically what I was going for  :lol

People supported legalizing it, and that's good in and of itself. Forget how flawed it's implementation is.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:28:27 PM »
I'm curious if the heads in Colorado are already publicly celebrating.  If it had happened here, I'd be walking down the street burning one right now.  After forty years of having to be sneaky about it, the prospect of no longer fearing asshole cops would be monumental to me. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
One of my friends in Colorado says that the smoke from his neighbors is seeping through their door.  :lol

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 10:37:03 PM »
It's their right as a state to legalize whatever they want (so long as it doesn't violate the Constitution). It's also their right to tax it into oblivion. I imagine they will.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
One of my friends in Colorado says that the smoke from his neighbors is seeping through their door.  :lol
My guess is that applies to the entire state of Oklahoma.  (backwards-ass hicks could use a good buzz)
E.F. Benson

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »
I'm going to celebrate now.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:33 PM »
People on Tumblr are saying that Puerto Rico is going to become a state. I haven't seen anything official and am extremely skeptical. I'm I rightfully so?

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »
Congrats to Colorado, huge step in the right direction. Now they only need to end the State regulation and taxing and it would be complete.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »
Congrats to Colorado, huge step in the right direction. Now they only need to end the State regulation and taxing and it would be complete.
While I agree in principle, the effect of this law is such that their limited regs and taxation don't trouble me at all.  Six plants growing with three flowering, and the ability to transfer up to a lid with no questions asked really makes the tax part of it a factor only to the people who would rather buy it commercially than grow it.  Few people can distil their own bourbon, but anybody can grow decent bud, so this is already a big improvement over alcohol taxation.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »
Taxing drugs is a really good idea, IMO.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »
I'm really surprised it didn't pass here in Oregon.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
This is a good step foward, now we get to see what happens and work to improve flaws.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 04:21:21 AM »
Taxing drugs is a really good idea, IMO.

Yeah y'know I'm inclined to agree. Taxation = government revenue = money that can go toward paying off state, and perhaps eventually federal debt.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 04:27:51 AM »
So, now the Netherlands can follow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 05:38:30 AM »
The question returns: does that mean if someone who works in Colorado tests positive for THC at a test his employers demanded; can he still get fired or can he say "It's legal fool!"?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:25 AM »
The question returns: does that mean if someone who works in Colorado tests positive for THC at a test his employers demanded; can he still get fired or can he say "It's legal fool!"?

I know of companies that are firing/not hiring people that test positive for nicotiene, so I'd imagine that it's up to each employer how they want to go about it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 06:27:42 AM »
People on Tumblr are saying that Puerto Rico is going to become a state. I haven't seen anything official and am extremely skeptical. I'm I rightfully so?

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Puerto-Rico-votes-on-US-ties-and-chooses-governor-4012422.php

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 06:46:38 AM »

It should be allowed if it is suppose to be treated the same as alcohol. You can do it as long as it's not at work. The problem with marijuana is that you can't test it on the spot like you can alcohol. I've read about a device that takes a very tiny sample off your tongue and it can determine if you have had THC introduced your system recently. It is also much harder to tell when someone is on it (which in that case you can argue if that's even a problem). I hope most employers after the transition look at it as though nothing has changed other than the fact that they now know their employees smoke pot, and probably have been all along.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:09:09 AM by Chino »

Online eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:18 AM »
It doesnt matter if pot is legal, a private employer can absolutely use it as a reason for termination or non-hire.  And THC stays in your system WAY longer than other drugs.  Even weeks depending on usage levels.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 07:31:43 AM »
while I would not want to go on record for being for cannabis use (considering the down sides of it), I think the laws are silly and give a thumbs up to CO.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »
It doesnt matter if pot is legal, a private employer can absolutely use it as a reason for termination or non-hire.

Exactly, you can't discriminate based on race, nationality, religion, color, etc., but pretty much everything else is up for grabs. If an employer doesn't want pot smoking employees, there is nothing that stops them from having "clean" employees.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
  • SDN>SDV
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 07:45:50 AM »
Party at Jackie's house!