Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 84251 times)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »
I had a German teacher in high school who was getting pretty old. Occasionally, one of his students would ask about when he was going to retire. His answer usually went something like this: "You know who invented retirement? Some guy who didn't like his job. I like my job, so why would I retire? I'll tell you when I'll retire. I'll be teaching class one day, and then I'll yell out the German word for heart attack and then I'll die."

He was (and still continues to be) one of the schools most-beloved teachers.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »
Jeez. It's not even funny when people believe that.

Wayyyyy funnier than "We have to pass the bill to know what is in it!".  (And yes, I have read the entire speech, and know the context.  Still doesn't excuse that the tactic was "ram this through and figure it out later" while businesses and people pay for it.).  At least you know this guy isn't dealing with all six strings on his guitar and can vote accordingly.   

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2015, 07:56:54 AM »
It shocks me when I read anyone talk like that.  How do people for for someone who says that?!  Makes me wonder about a lot of people, sad to say.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2015, 08:12:55 AM »
It shocks me when I read anyone talk like that.  How do people for for someone who says that?!  Makes me wonder about a lot of people, sad to say.

I'm just curious, but why?   Isn't it just the fact that people have different beliefs?  How is that any different than that girl in Philadelphia that voted for Obama because she thought she was going to get free gasoline as a result? 

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »
Yeah, it's the shocking reality that some politician says that Moses lived for 600 years of that a person can believe that once Obama was in office that she would not have to pay taxes anymore.  I guess it's a bit scary that common sense is thrown out the door.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »

I'm just curious, but why?   Isn't it just the fact that people have different beliefs?  How is that any different than that girl in Philadelphia that voted for Obama because she thought she was going to get free gasoline as a result?

It's different because the girl is just stupid and doesn't have the slightest concept of economics. Thankfully, she won't be writing legislation any time soon. The politician, someone who should be using data and evidence to make decisions for this nation, proudly declares that he believes that a 600 year old man built a boat (we'll ignore the insane amount of resources that would have been needed for such a project) that fit two of every creature on it, despite the fact that many creatures would have had to cross oceans (kangaroos) or survive in conditions which were the exact opposite from which they came (penguins) just to get to the boat. He then managed to keep them all alive, somehow sustaining the lions while preserving the zebras, and then figured out a way to circumvent all of the problems with inbreeding. All the animals got off the boat to a land with no vegetation left, yet they still managed to flourish, repopulating the exact same regions of the world from which their species originated. They did this without leaving a single bone out of place in the fossil records. The politician chooses to adhere to a story written by a couple guys who didn't know where the sun went at night.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2015, 10:16:52 AM »

It's different because the girl is just stupid and doesn't have the slightest concept of economics. Thankfully, she won't be writing legislation any time soon. The politician, someone who should be using data and evidence to make decisions for this nation, proudly declares that he believes that a 600 year old man built a boat (we'll ignore the insane amount of resources that would have been needed for such a project) that fit two of every creature on it, despite the fact that many creatures would have had to cross oceans (kangaroos) or survive in conditions which were the exact opposite from which they came (penguins) just to get to the boat. He then managed to keep them all alive, somehow sustaining the lions while preserving the zebras, and then figured out a way to circumvent all of the problems with inbreeding. All the animals got off the boat to a land with no vegetation left, yet they still managed to flourish, repopulating the exact same regions of the world from which their species originated. They did this without leaving a single bone out of place in the fossil records. The politician chooses to adhere to a story written by a couple guys who didn't know where the sun went at night.

I'm really struggling to see the difference.   SOMEONE put that guy in office.   He could think the moon is made of cheese, the election process is there to vet those people.   I see no difference between that guy and Obama, except you agree with Obama on more things.  If anything, Obama is worse, because some of his predicates for making decisions are less stark and less easily proved (though no less invalid).

Put it a different way, there is NO difference between the girl who voted for Obama, and the person that voted for that guy.   

Anything else is a substantive discussion about beliefs and political platform, and once you get to that point, ridicule all you want, but he has the right to his beliefs, and you have the right to have your beliefs. 

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Oh, that I agree with. 

It's like what I'm dealing with my father now.  He had MS.  It has affected his thought process.  He can't get words out quickly or talkes about the same things over and over because with his memory gaps, it's what's comfortable.  I know this, but to this day it still hurts to have these conversations.  It's more on a personal level but I do know going in we'll have the same conversation and I should be ready for it, but I'm not.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »
Put it a different way, there is NO difference between the girl who voted for Obama, and the person that voted for that guy. 
Did Obama ever make free gas part of his platform?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
No, I do remember seeing a woman on the news with her hands in the air after Obama won in 2008 claiming now that he was president, she wouldn't have to pay taxes anymore.

If only.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
No, I do remember seeing a woman on the news with her hands in the air after Obama won in 2008 claiming now that he was president, she wouldn't have to pay taxes anymore.

If only.
Oh, I have no doubt that people thought that they'd get free gas; stupid people abound. But, if he'd come out and promised free gas for all, then I'd naturally call him a liar or a idiot and send my hypothetical vote elsewhere. In the case of this Montana nimrod, I'd call him a jackass and vote for somebody sane.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Calvin6s

« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »
AFAIK, he's a candidate ... not somebody actually elected.

I'd look into the context of what he said as opposed to snippets if he were to appear on my ballot.  But he's not, so I won't waste my time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:42:49 PM by Calvin6s »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »
Did Obama ever make free gas part of his platform?

No, but I was living in Queen's Village in Philly then (on 2nd Street) and they had mobile cams set up over by the Art Museum, and while I was watching the news they interviewed this girl on Ben Franklin Boulevard and that is what she said.  I heard it with my own ears, and it was on YouTube for a while.

(By the way, it's not unreasonable that I know these details.  I know where I was living because of the date, and if you know Philly, you know that the Art Museum is where the "events" are; that's where the New Year's Eve celebrations are, and that's where the people congregated and where Mayor Nutter spoke the night of the election. It should be noted that HIS comments included the comment "We've waited 400 years for this day to happen".   One can only surmise that it was less about politics or advancements within the then 232-year old country, and more about race.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2015, 01:18:28 PM »
Awful lot of non-humor on this page.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:44 PM »

My bad.  Dumb people blow my mind. You'd think I'd be the last person serious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »
Yes, I think you are the last person serious.

What?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2015, 03:13:37 PM »

My bad.  Dumb people blow my mind. You'd think I'd be the last person serious.

Wha?  Free gasoline is wicked funny.

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
It is but I've heard so many stories like that now I'm a little numb to it.

Calvin6s

« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »
Perhaps the political humor should be left to things that were meant to be funny?  Otherwise, it will just turn into another war of ideologies debate.

For example, a cartoon or satirical article on the Noah retirement thing would be political humor, but just quoting a politician and saying "that's crazy" is more just to create a political wedge.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2015, 06:56:41 AM »
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/scalia-arrested-trying-to-burn-down-supreme-court

Back at the Supreme Court, Justice Scalias colleagues said they hoped he would get the help he needed, except for Justice Clarence Thomas, who said nothing.

I lol'd

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG6fhub9HDQ]I'm running for Parliament![/url]

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2015, 11:19:37 AM »

So much in this picture. I love the sign. Is her name Lord?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:07 AM »
That is wonderful.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »
I don't like judging people. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt as much as I can. That woman holding her baby out for Trump to touch... Look at her face. It screams insanity.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2015, 12:10:41 PM »
I don't like judging people. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt as much as I can. That woman holding her baby out for Trump to touch... Look at her face. It screams insanity.

Haha, I thought the same thing.   But what's worse?  That, or the guy next to her taking the photo; I'm betting that that screen is 65% pink-shirt-covered boob, and the other 35% is red-hat-covered-boob Trump.

(No, I don't think Trump is a boob; I just couldn't resist the joke).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
My favorite is the girl (or long haired male) to Trump's left with her back toward him so she could take a selfie.

Calvin6s

« Reply #238 on: August 25, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #239 on: August 25, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »
Take the Sanders hate to the 2016 thread.

Calvin6s

« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2015, 05:18:22 PM »
Like clockwork

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2015, 06:13:41 AM »
I'm just not understanding the humor element. It may very well be hysterical, I just don't understand it. Kind of like British humor to most people I guess. I'm going to try and see if I understand your sense of humor. Is it in Bernie's arms? Is the picture funny because they are up? Let me know if I'm getting this right.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:18:45 AM by Chino »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:36 AM »
We need captions for those photos, STAT!!!!

What do you think each guy is saying/describing?

Jeb:  "Take my brother.  PLEASE."
Chris:  "The turkey was only THIS BIG.  You call that a Thanksgiving turkey?  Not in Jersey!"

Rand Paul is clearly describing boobies, and I'm pretty sure Rick Perry is defending the size of his jimmy.   

The rest, I don't speak sign language. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
Take the Sanders hate to the 2016 thread.
Why, do you want to share the wealth?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi