Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 64317 times)

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #1540 on: January 11, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »
It would be an astonishing coincidence if he posted that today and didn't intend it to be a tie-in to the Medicaid story.

In any case, I'm aware of what their argument is. I find it dodgy on principle, and more to the point, contrary to what they actually care about.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #1541 on: January 11, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
Good point.

I don't know who "they" is. I am personally tired of seeing millions and millions of dollars spent on homeless services that do nothing to actually address the situation, but instead not only make it easier to perpetuate the situation and attract more and more vagrants to my area, all while creating more and more 6-figure government positions and Non-Profits for their friends. The Military Industrial Complex is going to seem like an anthill compared to the burgeoning Homelessness Industrial Complex.

We can take this offline or to a non-humor thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1542 on: January 14, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/951821984987574274
NORWAY

Happiest country #1 (US #14)
Most gender equality #2 (US #49) damn you, Iceland
Most political freedom #1 (US #45)
Most press freedom #1 (US #43)
Most prosperous #1 (US #18)

People there must be clamoring to come to America.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1543 on: January 15, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1544 on: January 15, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »
Hahaha, "Haitii".   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #1545 on: January 15, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
Hahaha, "Haitii".

Surprised it wasn't Haitittii.   :lol
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?
And TAC can suck it  :biggrin:, this is heavy in all the right places.  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1546 on: January 17, 2018, 06:08:04 AM »
Oh god... :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1547 on: January 17, 2018, 06:27:24 AM »
ouch  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: January 17, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »
President Donald J. Trump, 6'3", 239 pounds.   NFW, mofo.  I'm 5'8" 240, and there's NO WAY Trump is more svelt than I am.   Muscle is heavier than fat, granted, and I'm jacked*, but still. 

* Not jacked, under any definition of the word.  None.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #1549 on: January 17, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »
Regarding the update of Toto's classic *vomits on to keyboard song Africa, maybe we need to change other things, like Neil Diamond's song America.

"In the backs of trucks, and through underground tunnels,
They're coming to America"

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #1550 on: January 19, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
President Donald J. Trump, 6'3", 239 pounds.   NFW, mofo.  I'm 5'8" 240, and there's NO WAY Trump is more svelt than I am.   Muscle is heavier than fat, granted, and I'm jacked*, but still. 

I'm 5'11", 220, and I look like fucking Adonis compared  to his fat ass.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: January 19, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »

I know we're not supposed to do this anymore, but this is the perfect time to quote your avatar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »

Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1553 on: January 19, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »
 :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: January 19, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
Hey they're in synch!  That's pretty cool!

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1555 on: January 19, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
Of course.... Thrusty's got hella rhythm bro.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
    • my music
« Reply #1556 on: January 20, 2018, 10:03:23 PM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1557 on: January 22, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
This is almost worth it all....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSuregWhlWk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1558 on: January 22, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »
This is almost worth it all....

Pretty sure I posted that a few pages ago, but yeah... priceless.

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #1559 on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »
Really? This is the only P&R thread I follow faithfully, surprised I missed it.

Now watch me go back and see I responded to it already....getting old sucks man... 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1560 on: January 22, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
Absolutely brilliant...

Trump / Talking Heads / Once in a Lifetime

"How did I get here?"   :lol

Well, at least you didn't respond... just ignored me.

:'(

:laugh:

Offline Lucien

• my music
« Reply #1561 on: January 22, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1562 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #1563 on: January 23, 2018, 08:50:16 AM »
If you changed the name to Hillary it would still be funny. Except the grandma would be called a hateful sexist misogynist pig.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:06 AM »

This is legendary.   I've literally been laughing for about four minutes now. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:45 AM »

Sorry, but this latest trend - of comparing politicians (almost always Republican) unfavorably to Jesus - are ridiculous and not at all funny.   In my humble opinion, it's just a mean-spirited way to get two jabs in at once (let's stick it to politicians that we don't agree with AND make fun of that myth they call religion!).

Entitled to opinion, free speech, yadda yadda yadda, but these are the kind of jokes that say more about the teller than the subject, also in my humble opinion.   

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1566 on: January 23, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
Nonsense. When you have people like Pence and Cruz who espouse so openly their Christian cred, calling them out for acting contradictory to their chosen mythos is fair game. I don't find that particular picture funny, but I'm all for the style of humor.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
Nonsense. When you have people like Pence and Cruz who espouse so openly their Christian cred, calling them out for acting contradictory to their chosen mythos is fair game. I don't find that particular picture funny, but I'm all for the style of humor.

But if one knows even a passing bit about the legend of Jesus, one knows that it's a lame comparison.  Pence and Cruz, to my knowledge anyway, have never said THEY were the son of God and could turn one fish into enough food for the "multitudes" (Cruz might have; who the fuck knows).  It wasn't at all about "giving things to people".  It wasn't an economic or charitable statement.  The people in the multitude weren't poor, and in fact, were to be sent away to buy their food.   Jesus turned the five loaves and two fish into enough food not to show the benefits of an egalitarian society, but to prove his compassion, and as such, provide further proof he was the Messiah in the wake of the death of John the Baptist.

I'm not sure we really want Pence and Cruz to start going around trying to prove they're the next Messiah.  There are certainly ways in which Pence and Cruz could show their compassion, sure, but the jokes are about economics, and the "real" event has nothing to do with that.

Offline Lucien

• my music
« Reply #1568 on: January 23, 2018, 05:10:04 PM »
If I remember correctly, Christianity is about living as close to Jesus' values as possible. Fucking the poor (a consistently Republican pastime) is not something Jesus would do, I've a feeling.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1569 on: January 23, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »

But if one knows even a passing bit about the legend of Jesus, one knows that it's a lame comparison.  Pence and Cruz, to my knowledge anyway, have never said THEY were the son of God and could turn one fish into enough food for the "multitudes" (Cruz might have; who the fuck knows).  It wasn't at all about "giving things to people".  It wasn't an economic or charitable statement.  The people in the multitude weren't poor, and in fact, were to be sent away to buy their food.   Jesus turned the five loaves and two fish into enough food not to show the benefits of an egalitarian society, but to prove his compassion, and as such, provide further proof he was the Messiah in the wake of the death of John the Baptist.

I'm not sure we really want Pence and Cruz to start going around trying to prove they're the next Messiah.  There are certainly ways in which Pence and Cruz could show their compassion, sure, but the jokes are about economics, and the "real" event has nothing to do with that.

But I didn't think the message of Jesus was "Look, I'm the son of God, you can't compete with me so don't bother trying to do good deeds to prove you're the Messiah." Seems to be more about encouraging people to follow in his example. So I don't think there's anything wrong with calling out people who invoke Jesus' name while taking positions that people don't think live up to his ideals. There might be lots of cases of people also criticising Christian beliefs too, but I actually don't think things like the picture above are really an example of people wanting to make fun of the myth as well - you can not believe the magical aspects of the story but still think that following some of the core messages would actually be a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:56:09 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline Lucien

• my music
« Reply #1570 on: January 24, 2018, 12:55:28 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1571 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:46 AM »
If I remember correctly, Christianity is about living as close to Jesus' values as possible. Fucking the poor (a consistently Republican pastime) is not something Jesus would do, I've a feeling.

Ah, finally some humor in this thread.   That's pretty funny. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: January 24, 2018, 08:27:16 AM »

But I didn't think the message of Jesus was "Look, I'm the son of God, you can't compete with me so don't bother trying to do good deeds to prove you're the Messiah." Seems to be more about encouraging people to follow in his example. So I don't think there's anything wrong with calling out people who invoke Jesus' name while taking positions that people don't think live up to his ideals. There might be lots of cases of people also criticising Christian beliefs too, but I actually don't think things like the picture above are really an example of people wanting to make fun of the myth as well - you can not believe the magical aspects of the story but still think that following some of the core messages would actually be a good idea.

How did we get to the point that "giving shit to freeloaders" was considered "compassionate" or considered a "good deed"?    I'm being facetious, of course, but still.   I think NOT forcing people to buy insurance packages they don't want and don't need is "compassionate".   I think serving our country in itself is a "good deed".   I think working hard to give more and more opportunity to people ("pursuit of happiness") is "compassionate".    I think there are legit ways - non-partisan, non-semantic ways - of reframing this so that Pence and Cruz ("Republicans") fit the bill.   I'll concede the position on gays - one I patently do not share with Mike Pence - but some of this is just "it's not MY way, so it must not be JESUS's way" which is just as off base as anything that Pence and Cruz (who I despise, by the way) have or haven't done. 

I do agree with your last sentence, by the way.  Fully. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1573 on: January 24, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »
I have a problem with the conditional compassion that republicans seem to be so keen on. Particularly when Jesus's compassion was unconditional, as it was something he seemed to genuinely get off on. No, I don't think Pence or Cruz need to be the next Jesus, though I doubt any of us would complain if they allowed themselves to be nailed to a fucking tree. I do think if they're going to exploit Christianity to further their career, they should at least pay some token lip service to the spirit of its teachings, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: January 24, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
I have a problem with the conditional compassion that republicans seem to be so keen on. Particularly when Jesus's compassion was unconditional, as it was something he seemed to genuinely get off on. No, I don't think Pence or Cruz need to be the next Jesus, though I doubt any of us would complain if they allowed themselves to be nailed to a fucking tree. I do think if they're going to exploit Christianity to further their career, they should at least pay some token lip service to the spirit of its teachings, though.

Don't disagree at all.  I'm just saying that it's not necessarily our place - other than through our votes - to tell them how to do that.  I don't at all think it's as simple as "expanding welfare is Christian, encouraging people to work and earn their keep is not".  On top of that, people are flawed, people are fallible.   With a few exceptions, I've never been one of those that questioned someone's commitment to their religion because of actions I deem problematic.  Not being judgmental is also a Christian tenet (there's a softball for you).  :)