Author Topic: Political Humor  (Read 25633 times)

Offline Tick

• Cleavage is a drug! Dracula is a junkie
  • DTF.org Member
  • We will, we will, Trump you, boom boom, clap!
Re: Political Humor
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
I'd say there is, in fact, a kernel of truth there, based on their policies.  It may not necessarily true, but it isn't necessarily not true, either.

Even if you were convinced that it isn't true, it is certainly a perception.  And perception is truth, nowadays.

No, silly, "truth" is when you repeat something over and over and over again and again and again (see: WMD, "...we'll be greeted as liberators...", etc).

Also:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
I'd say there is, in fact, a kernel of truth there, based on their policies.  It may not necessarily true, but it isn't necessarily not true, either.

Even if you were convinced that it isn't true, it is certainly a perception.  And perception is truth, nowadays.

This guy's got it.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »

Truly, America's institutionalized system of inequality at work:  the fat white guy gets two heaping plate fulls and the black guy gets a single hot dog.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »

Wouldn't argue that for a second.  You are, of course, 100% correct.

But that's what gets us reality TV, music with no real musicians playing anywhere on the track, and movies made almost entirely on a computer.   I'd like to take those opportunities - on those rare times when they arise - to point out where the perception and the reality are at odds.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2014, 07:53:42 AM »
I don't think it is enough for reasonable Republicans to point out stuff like that.  Reasonable Republicans must confront and call out irrational Republicans who espouse things that cause those perceptions.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:38 AM »
Fair point.  More than fair point, actually.

Some of us are doing that, and you're seeing some of that in the recent elections.  It's a process, but it is happening.   But part of that is making sure that the candidates DON'T toe the (Tea) Party line don't get swept away in the rhetoric.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »
Agreed.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2014, 02:08:58 PM »
The really shitty thing about today is that every issue has to have either a democratic or a republican identity. If that issue is on the other side, it's like you have to hate it by default. For example, all those signs about the illegals crossing the border that say "No Illegal Democrats". Those people out there protesting couldn't give a shit about what happens to those people. Their only concern is that it's primarily a democratic 'agenda' that they need to rally against. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama went on TV and spoke in favor of all the republican demands in regards to the border, I bet the majority of republicans would do a complete 180 overnight. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »
The really shitty thing about today is that every issue has to have either a democratic or a republican identity. If that issue is on the other side, it's like you have to hate it by default. For example, all those signs about the illegals crossing the border that say "No Illegal Democrats". Those people out there protesting couldn't give a shit about what happens to those people. Their only concern is that it's primarily a democratic 'agenda' that they need to rally against. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama went on TV and spoke in favor of all the republican demands in regards to the border, I bet the majority of republicans would do a complete 180 overnight.

Well, you realize that it digs a bit deeper than that; assuming those people could actually vote, they would vote almost 100% democrat.  So the notion (not saying it is accurate, but see a previous post re: "perception") is that the only reason the Dems support that is because it bolsters their voting block. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

Well, you realize that it digs a bit deeper than that; assuming those people could actually vote, they would vote almost 100% democrat.  So the notion (not saying it is accurate, but see a previous post re: "perception") is that the only reason the Dems support that is because it bolsters their voting block.
Yeah, that's not entirely true. For one thing Mexicans tend to be a pretty conservative bunch. The whole family values thing is pretty strong with them. Furthermore, contrary to popular belief, they don't really approve of freeloaders. They'll take advantage of tax breaks the same as you or I would, and they'll take welfare if they can get it, but they'll also contribute quite a bit. The other thing is that once they get here, a whole lot of them start wanting the borders closed up. Maybe give it long enough to get their Tio Juan over, but beyond that they don't really like illegals much other than their immediate compadres. It used to be that Mexicans were considered a strong GOP base, and that's certainly changing, but they're not quite a solid democratic base yet, either.

However, I agree with Chino's point. A lot of people (and if you think this is specifically teabaggers then I'm fine with that) just want to bitch about Barrack Hussein and his libtard minions, and it really makes no difference what it's about.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »

*snip*
However, I agree with Chino's point. A lot of people (and if you think this is specifically teabaggers then I'm fine with that) just want to bitch about Barrack Hussein and his libtard minions, and it really makes no difference what it's about.

I saw another perfect example while driving into work this morning. A guy had had two gun stickers on his truck. He had the CCDL (Conencticut Carriers Defense League) logo to the right, and he had a stick family to the left. Each stick figure kid was holding a pistol, the mother was holding a rifle, and the father was holding two rifles. Smack dead in the center of the rear windshield, there was a giant sticker that read "Does this ass make my truck look big" with a big picture of Obama under it. There are plenty of people (like myself) who don't hate Obama and still are okay with people wanting to own guns. That guy isn't doing any good for his cause (gun rights) in the eyes of many democrats. If he didn't have to include childish president bashing into his argument, maybe someone would listen to what he's trying to say.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2014, 07:40:01 AM »
Another example, frankly, is the ACA.  Virtually everything in it started out as a proposal by a Republican.  And when surveyed on individual parts of the ACA, most Republicans are in favor of them.  But group it all together and slap Mr. Blackocrat's name on it and it is a demonic invention from the pit of Hell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
I deleted your comments on Mexicans for space, not because it wasn't well-written or important.   I think it might be somewhat geographic, both in terms of where they came from and where they went.   It's leaning a lot more liberal in Florida for instance, though having said that, I think many in NY, LA and DC would be surprised how much the locals in some of those areas welcome the immigrants.  In Florida, a seasonal, very transient state, their economy depends a LOT on that demographic.  Sending them home is not an option, economically speaking, to those who know the issue in Florida.

Yeah, I hear you.  I guess I should say to you both that I am at the stage where I tune them out.   On both sides.   Yeah, yeah, yeah, Bush looks like a monkey, it was funny the first 40 times I heard that.   Do some f-ing homework, give me something of substance.   And the same for those you are referring to above.  I probably share a lot more in terms of platform than you do, but I have no more love for the tactics and antics of the Tea Party than you do.   My career has been, literally, built on the concept of negotiation, and I can count on one, MAYBE two hands the number of times I have ever had to resort to their dumb tactics.  The concept that by conceding any point you weaken all your points says more about you as a negotiator and your integrity as a politician than it does about how the world actually works.     

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
Another example, frankly, is the ACA.  Virtually everything in it started out as a proposal by a Republican.  And when surveyed on individual parts of the ACA, most Republicans are in favor of them.  But group it all together and slap Mr. Blackocrat's name on it and it is a demonic invention from the pit of Hell.

I know a lot of people that will feel the need to fight if they hear someone say "Obamacare". If it's refereed to as the Affordable Care Act, they don't even know what it is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »

I guess I would ask you and Chino, what's your point?   That there are Republicans that are uninformed on the issues?   I know I wrote a novel, but look at my post in the other thread where I recount the interview with the young girl that was SO happy that Obama won, because "now everyone would have free gasoline!!!".   

And while I don't tend to resort to the silly name-calling tactics, it's not like this is a new phenomenon (google "Kill Bush") and it's not like the guy in the pickup truck or the ACA opponents are entirely wrong.    I will forever hold a personal grudge against Biden for parading those poor victims of Sandy Hook - my god, they looked like deer in headlights - out to pimp his new gun control law.   TOTALLY ignoring that a) Connecticut (my home state; the temporary school the Sandy Hook kids are going to until their new school is built was the very school I spent 6th, 7th, and 8th in; I had my first kiss in that building) already had one of the most restrictive laws in the country, b) the law he was pimping would not, likely, have prevented the tragedy, and c) isn't likely to prevent any future tragedy. 

And Hefdaddy42, I am "one of those Republicans".  I would prefer not to have a law like ACA (I lean more libertarian) but I also tend to be a pragmatist in the sense that I could live with the individual sections.   But I can also live with chocolate, steak, and Fritos.  That doesn't mean I want all of them together in one recipe.     Some of you might have conveniently forgotten, but Obama's first step - the very first step! - to getting ACA passed was to cut a back-door deal with the pharmaceutical companies, essentially guaranteeing their profit in exchange for their support against the healthcare insurance lobby (which would have already bought into a law that made sense, since much of it already existed in pieces and pockets).  Since pharmaceutical costs are one of the biggest components of the spiraling health care costs (and pharmaceutical profits are some of the highest in the industry) that told me right there that despite the good intentions of some of the "individual pieces", Obama didn't give two shits about improving the healthcare of this country. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »

I guess I would ask you and Chino, what's your point?   That there are Republicans that are uninformed on the issues?   I know I wrote a novel, but look at my post in the other thread where I recount the interview with the young girl that was SO happy that Obama won, because "now everyone would have free gasoline!!!".   

My point is that (and this goes for both sides) politics has become about the party, and the party's future, not the people and the people's future. The ACA could have all the language in it that the republicans could demand, and they'd still vote it down. They'd rather delay it and have a republican president succeed with it than have to let a democratic president take all the credit. Having a democrat in office when it gets voted in favor for somehow looks weak I guess. Mitt Romney would have come in and written up something very similar to the ACA. Hell, he did it in Massachusetts and it was a great success. The republicans would have been all over in support of that (most of them). And that's something that perplexes me. How can republicans stand by and repeatedly write off the ACA as a failure when there is clear evidence that it works in Massachusetts. My ultimate point is that the bickering that goes back and forth between the people of congress has now transferred to the voting booths. People literally know nothing about the ACA but will argue against it until they are blue in the face just because they hate Obama. People getting so angry and hating each other because they've been convinced to think a certain way by a handful of rich pieces of shit.   

Here's an example of the need to hate by default.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3184368/posts

Apparently what happened was, a pregnant women in labor couldn't get to the hospital because of the motorcade. Obama's fault. Regardless of the fact that I'm sure there is protocol and this same scenario would have played out regardless who the president was.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:42:12 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »

My point is that (and this goes for both sides) politics has become about the party, and the party's future, not the people and the people's future. The ACA could have all the language in it that the republicans could demand, and they'd still vote it down. They'd rather delay it and have a republican president succeed with it than have to let a democratic president take all the credit. Having a democrat in office when it gets voted in favor for somehow looks weak I guess. Mitt Romney would have come in and written up something very similar to the ACA. Hell, he did it in Massachusetts and it was a great success. The republicans would have been all over in support of that (most of them). And that's something that perplexes me. How can republicans stand by and repeatedly write off the ACA as a failure when there is clear evidence that it works in Massachusetts. My ultimate point is that the bickering that goes back and forth between the people of congress has now transferred to the voting booths. People literally know nothing about the ACA but will argue against it until they are blue in the face just because they hate Obama. People getting so angry and hating each other because they've been convinced to think a certain way by a handful of rich pieces of shit.   

Here's an example of the need to hate by default.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3184368/posts

Apparently what happened was, a pregnant women in labor couldn't get to the hospital because of the motorcade. Obama's fault. Regardless of the fact that I'm sure there is protocol and this same scenario would have played out regardless who the president was.

Chino, we don't know each other from a row of assholes, so I'm going to beg your forgiveness ahead of time.  I'm not trying to be an ass, but I have to ask:  if this is your concern - really your concern - why the continued use of "Republicans" vis--vis the ACA, especially when the analysis isn't accurate, and to me sounds more like a condemnation of REpublicans (or overt support for the ACA) than a more general critique of the two party system?   Of COURSE the parties are out for party survival.  That Obama is still begging for a pass on the economy six years in because it is supposedly "Bush's fault" can tell you that.   

Your ACA example is flawed on several respects.   One, not all Republicans supported the Massachusetts law, a law that was passed by a Republican governor, but in one of the most liberal states in the Union (yes, I know it is a commonwealth, not a state).   Two, the Federal ACA is not the equivalent of the Massachusetts law in terms of it's components.    Three, and this a MASSIVE miss in terms of the attack on the Republicans, many Republicans (myself included) would be far more supportive of the Federal ACA if it was, as was done in Massachusetts, implemented on the state level.   In other words, you're bundling all the criticisms up into one, when it is not appropriate to do so. It need not be the criticism of the law as "Obama's Law" as much as it is an indictment of the way Obama is making literally EVERYTHING a Federal government issue.   Granted, the current Republican party is about as far from true, authentic conservatism as you can get (a true conservative doesn't give a shit about gay marriage and what not, they want the Federal government to issue social security cards, collect the taxes, and fund the military and not much else.  And only the first two because you can't do the third without them) but don't ignore the Fed/State tension in this. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Where's the funnies?  Let's get back to the funnies

Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »
Oh, I wasn't even equating Obamacare (dislike the term) with Romneycare (also dislike THAT term).  A lot of the ideas in it go back to Bob Dole's plan, or before.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
Hey guys, remember when this was supposed to be a funnies thread? Yeah, me neither.

I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »
Perhaps the P/R chat thread for the various tangents, which is where I'll be responding to Stadler's post about Los Mojados.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
Not political humor per se, but this is hilarious:

A Congressman in a hearing mistakes two testifying U.S. bureaucrats as Indian representatives.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/07/25/one-of-the-most-awkward-exchanges-you-will-ever-see-inside-or-outside-the-capitol/

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2014, 02:49:08 PM »
Not political humor per se, but this is hilarious:

A Congressman in a hearing mistakes two testifying U.S. bureaucrats as Indian representatives.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/07/25/one-of-the-most-awkward-exchanges-you-will-ever-see-inside-or-outside-the-capitol/
That was amusing, but I found the people who did drugs at the Whitehouse article linked on that page much more amusing.

Tobias is now on my list of awesome, awesome people.
Quote from: David Cross
"It wasn't even that much cocaine. It was literally the size of, I don't know, a tick. It was a tiny granule of coke that I put on my wrist and said, 'Watch this. I need a witness ... And then I ducked under the table and did it. It wasn't like I got high. The jolt was similar to licking an empty espresso cup. It wasn't about that. It was just about being able to say that I did it, that I did cocaine in the same room as the president."
It's not that he wanted to get high there, Willie Nelson already did that the right way, with style. It's that he wanted to do it for the experience. Not enough people recognize the significance of a bad ass, one-off experience like that. Sometimes just knowing that you can and did do something is greater than the experience itself.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »

Truly, America's institutionalized system of inequality at work:  the fat white guy gets two heaping plate fulls and the black guy gets a single hot dog.
I don't see a fat white guy there? Unless you have a different definition for fat?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
Note that corporate Ronald McDonald is fighting WITH the government.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2014, 04:46:13 AM »

Not exactly, but close enough.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2014, 04:28:35 PM »
Not all that different than posting something showing "Christian Science" and declaring the world to be just over 6,000 years old.

Scary either way.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »
I just made this.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:10:48 PM by Chino »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
My dad has that hung on his office wall.  ::)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
One of my first memories ever was learning that the earth is round in an Islamic religion class back in Egypt, but I'm used to things working this way; our dumb right wingers strive on pointing out things that dumb Western right wingers say and vice versa :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »
Since the Supreme Court won't allow cameras during their proceedings and those artist renditions kind of suck, John Oliver crafted alternative footage to accompany the audio files they already release and made it readily available for others to be crafty with. They made great choices for some of the justices, Breyer and Ginsburg in particular. Most of them are actually immediately recognizable as their respective justice.

And while I never saw Alito try to hump Ginsburg, the real justices really are as hyperactive as portrayed here. The only thing missing is Thomas spinning around in his chair and cracking jokes with Breyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvUzHrRJbXQ

Here's Oliver's introduction to the whole thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9prhPV2PI
E.F. Benson