Author Topic: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use  (Read 66615 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use
« Reply #1085 on: November 19, 2018, 06:29:37 AM »
To everyone's surprise, MA announced last Friday afternoon that cannabis will be legally sold in the state starting on Tuesday 11/19!! Only two stores will be open on day one, but they rest have the green light to open whenver they pass inspection and code. I'm out of work at noon on Wednesday and only about a half hour south of where I can purchase it. I'll be taking a detour before heading home  :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1086 on: November 19, 2018, 08:07:56 AM »
That's awesome, I definitely want to do a Boston trip again in 2019 so I'll have to make a detour to check it out.

Actually going to LA in a few weeks for the weekend and plan on checking out a store there, I haven't been back to LA since it was legal to buy recreationally. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1087 on: November 26, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/drug-sniffing-dogs-facing-early-retirements-due-to-legalization-of-marijuana

This is an interesting angle. I knew they weren't really training new dogs to sniff for pot, but it didn't occur to me that the old dogs that still do could blow Johnny's PC. If a dog alerts after detecting a legal substance you can't use that as grounds to toss somebody's car or luggage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1088 on: December 07, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
I think El Barto mentioned awhile ago about eventually a mass produced joint made by the cigarette companies for the casual smoker...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marlboro-maker-leaps-cannabis-trade-131137711.html

looks like they just made a large investment, seems like that's a good call for the future of the industry

Which brings me to a similar point.  I am going to LA tomorrow morning and noticed there's a dispensary right by the airport so I think I'll be stopping by and looked at their menu online and there's packages that look like cigarette packs for pre-rolled joints.  Never saw that before but made also me think about the future of mass marketing joints.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Don't play with me, cause you're playing with fire

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1090 on: December 12, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »
Great news. I've been across the border into MA twice now and have given that state nearly $70 in tax revenue so far.

I was listening to a morning show out of MA this morning and they were saying that the state's two dispensaries have generated $7.1M in recreational sales in the three weeks they've been open. That works out to nearly $1.5M in tax revenue from just those two stores in less than a month.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1091 on: December 12, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »
 :yarr

Also, I did buy a three pack of small joints in LA legally and it was a nice experience and perfect for my situation just flying in.  Always interesting to see how different states do their shops.  This was different than Colorado in that I could shop and hold and look at all the products and they are not all just behind a counter and had multiple budtenders working the floor to help people.  I worked with two to go through some products I was questioning about. 

The multi-agency study that was released in summer concluded, "The positive effects of a regulated marijuana market in New York State outweigh the potential negative impacts," according to a summary.

and that's exactly what I am talking about with the shopping experience.  Getting information and knowledge about what you are purchasing vs. buying from a dealer is just one of many reasons why legalization is more positive than negative.  It's safer and informative.  Oh and there was from my math roughly a 25% total tax rate (not sure how that works since there's probably a few taxes involved, and they did provide information about taxes but I did not read those).

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1092 on: December 12, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »

Also, I did buy a three pack of small joints in LA legally and it was a nice experience and perfect for my situation just flying in.  Always interesting to see how different states do their shops.  This was different than Colorado in that I could shop and hold and look at all the products and they are not all just behind a counter and had multiple budtenders working the floor to help people.  I worked with two to go through some products I was questioning about. 
Damn.  A quick bit of research suggests that people are paying $15-20/ea for pre-rolls. WTF? What'd you pay for a 3-pack?

To be honest, I don't see how people can afford legal bud nowadays. As long as it's priced the way it is there's still room for an underground market. Be it the Mexicans or a friend of a friend who grows his own. Sooner or later the states are going to have to crack down on it to protect their profit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1093 on: December 12, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »

Damn.  A quick bit of research suggests that people are paying $15-20/ea for pre-rolls. WTF? What'd you pay for a 3-pack?

I paid $75 for a 5 pack of 1 gram joints. Each joint was a different strain ranging anywhere from 24% to 27.5% THC. $15 bucks a gram is street pricing around here, so that price point is fine for me. Also, the thing you need to keep in mind is that there are only two dispensaries in all of MA. Super low supply with incredibly high demand. Once there are 20+ stores opened throughout the state, you'll see those prices drop real quick. And tbh, the bud I'm getting at the dispensary is better than what I can get from any of my dealers. Sure, they'll occasionally get their hands on something competition worthy, but it's nowhere near the consistency of the stores. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1094 on: December 12, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »

To be honest, I don't see how people can afford legal bud nowadays. As long as it's priced the way it is there's still room for an underground market. Be it the Mexicans or a friend of a friend who grows his own. Sooner or later the states are going to have to crack down on it to protect their profit.

They had a few options, some as high as $20 for a single pre rolled J.  But those were quite large (maybe 1G but I didn't even ask since the price was too much for one J) and also high quality strains which they made sure to say when showing me the products.  The three pack was $20 and they were smaller which is exactly what I was looking for.  They had other varieties for the multipacks, but I personally like the smaller J's (since I was able to sneak them into the forum).  The larger ones can't fit in my wallet and I feel like I end up wasting a lot of bud smoking a J any way.

And is it expensive?  Sure but it's super simple and effective and without the store it's much more difficult and time consuming as well as risky to go find someone to sell to me in the black market.  I'd rather pay the tax and do it this way personally.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1095 on: December 12, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »
I totally get paying for convenience and legality. There's just a tipping point where it seems like you're getting ripped off. A 1g joint is pretty hefty, and it's a wasteful way to smoke anyway, so I just couldn't see buying one for $15. Three/20 is a whole lot more reasonable.

And like I said, it just seems to to me that at the current pricing they're going to miss out on a couple of the stated goals. They're not going to eradicate the underground market if the price of legality is too high, and that supply line is not going to be paying the state taxes. Using Chino's example, if you can get bud that's 85% as good as what the dispensaries sell at $9.25/g instead of $15, isn't that what you're going to do regularly (not counting travel)? That's pretty much where things are in my circle.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1096 on: December 12, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
Yea that's true and I think we will see taxes fade a bit once the fad of it being legal has faded and people start to realize it's expensive and sales go down a bit.  But some people would rather the quality too.  When you think of something like "85% as good as what the dispensaries sell at $9.25/g instead of $15" you also don't need to smoke as much for something of higher quality.  I don't know exactly where that price point is of where price per quality because less on the street, but you are right that it exists and it will keep the black market open until they fix the taxing of it.

However, if we are talking costs and all, isn't it just cheaper to grow your own?

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1097 on: December 12, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »
Yea that's true and I think we will see taxes fade a bit once the fad of it being legal has faded and people start to realize it's expensive and sales go down a bit.  But some people would rather the quality too.  When you think of something like "85% as good as what the dispensaries sell at $9.25/g instead of $15" you also don't need to smoke as much for something of higher quality.  I don't know exactly where that price point is of where price per quality because less on the street, but you are right that it exists and it will keep the black market open until they fix the taxing of it.

However, if we are talking costs and all, isn't it just cheaper to grow your own?
I don't equate quality with THC content, so the quality/quantity paradigm doesn't really come into play. Some of what I get in the 85% arena is >20% THC. We're not talking ditch weed vs KB. We're talking very good weed vs exceptional weed. The upper fifteenth percentile is there because of a better smoking experience.

And the tax rate is set in stone. In fact, next time somebody needs a new stadium or the teachers go on strike it'll be going up. The base prices might drop, though as the market settles. Might not, though.

I evaluate every state's marijuana laws by how generous they are in what they let you grow. Some states are pretty stingy and others quite generous. Maine allows 12 plants with six in flowering. Their neighbors New Hampshire don't allow you to grow at all.  The problem is that growing your own in that 85% area is something most people won't be able (or more likely willing) to do. It takes a lot of effort and skill. What we'll likely see are something akin to collectives. One guy gets good at growing and grows enough for ten or so of his buddies, making some scratch in the process. How much of an effect this will have on the market is anybody's guess. I suspect that when times get rough, though, that's one are the state governments will have to after.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1098 on: December 12, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Are you sure those tax rates are set in stone?  I thought I read colorado would review theirs to help fight the black market.  But I'm guessing the reality is... when do taxes ever go down? 

As for the growing, yea thats kind of my point though, if you really wanted to save money you'd put in the effort and would likely be OK with a lesser quality product, but many people like myself just want the convenience and that comes at the cost of the tax. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1099 on: December 12, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
As for the growing, yea thats kind of my point though, if you really wanted to save money you'd put in the effort and would likely be OK with a lesser quality product, but many people like myself just want the convenience and that comes at the cost of the tax.
At this point you likely don't have any alternatives. If tomorrow your neighbor shows up and says "here, try this. I grew it myself. If you like it I'll sell you a quarter for $70," wouldn't you be interested? As more people decide to grown their own that will become more common.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1100 on: December 12, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
I totally get paying for convenience and legality. There's just a tipping point where it seems like you're getting ripped off. A 1g joint is pretty hefty, and it's a wasteful way to smoke anyway, so I just couldn't see buying one for $15. Three/20 is a whole lot more reasonable.

Of the 5 joints I got, I only smoked one of them in joint form. The other four were opened and I'd just roll a little product out into one of my pipes as needed. The the cannabis being as high in THC as it is, you don't need much.   

Also, weed vape pens have changed the game entirely.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:09:28 AM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1101 on: December 12, 2018, 10:58:31 AM »

Of the 5 joints I got, I only smoked one of them in joint form. The other for were opened and I'd just roll a little product out into one of my pipes as needed. The the cannabis being as high in THC as it is, you don't need much.   

This is definitely true. That's what I can't reliably get down here, and it definitely has the potential to change the whole model. When I was up North last month a few of those is was what I was really hoping to snag. 

What I'd like to see, though, is some sort of regulation. Or even certification. There's only so much you can do to adulterate bud, and mostly we're just talking about some inert minerals. You really have no idea what people are doing to extract the oil for those things. In the amateur world it's all butane, which is bad enough. At the industrial level there's no telling what sort of stuff is being used.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1102 on: December 12, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »
At this point you likely don't have any alternatives. If tomorrow your neighbor shows up and says "here, try this. I grew it myself. If you like it I'll sell you a quarter for $70," wouldn't you be interested? As more people decide to grown their own that will become more common.

Possibly but also I probably wouldn't because I don't see a reason to buy from anyone if I can buy at a store even at a discount.  It would have to be a steep discount and equal or better quality to make me want to break the law for otherwise an inferior product.  Now my GF has some botanic lovers who I bet could grow something awesome strains and maybe I'd consider buying from such a person, as friends and a trustworthy source. 

Now, as it's still illegal, for me to get my hands on any I would already need to break the law so buying that stash from the neighbor would be an option because it may be my only option.  I don't want to be in that position anymore and I don't mind paying a bit more via taxes for that.  I don't really see the point in breaking the law further personally just to save a few bucks.

However, I think the reality, if I were allowed to grow, I would grow some shit stuff in my back yard and buy quality products and just use both depending on occasion.   I'd imagine you could also buy one of those like inside grow kits you can buy now for like tomato plants and just use it for a marijuana plant (my brother converted one of those and it worked well :lol)

Yup that too.  Concentrates and edibles make the flower itself not as popular anymore.  I've met quite a few people who won't smoke but will only use edibles or vapes.  So it's changing the game how these products are evolving due to the legality. 

Would I buy my neighbors homemade weed brownies for $5 each or a package from the store at $10 each?  :lol

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1103 on: December 12, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »

Possibly but also I probably wouldn't because I don't see a reason to buy from anyone if I can buy at a store even at a discount.  It would have to be a steep discount and equal or better quality to make me want to break the law for otherwise an inferior product.  Now my GF has some botanic lovers who I bet could grow something awesome strains and maybe I'd consider buying from such a person, as friends and a trustworthy source. 

Now, as it's still illegal, for me to get my hands on any I would already need to break the law so buying that stash from the neighbor would be an option because it may be my only option.  I don't want to be in that position anymore and I don't mind paying a bit more via taxes for that.  I don't really see the point in breaking the law further personally just to save a few bucks.

However, I think the reality, if I were allowed to grow, I would grow some shit stuff in my back yard and buy quality products and just use both depending on occasion.   I'd imagine you could also buy one of those like inside grow kits you can buy now for like tomato plants and just use it for a marijuana plant (my brother converted one of those and it worked well :lol)
I put that question out when we were discussing legal markets. My point was assuming it was legal either way.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1104 on: December 12, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »
Actually funny with the vape pens.  I went to the Steven Wilson concert in NJ recently and the security stopped me at the door when she saw my vape pen and said this pen is not allowed in.  It was the first time someone recognized it for what it was, I've never had issues before getting into any concert or event or on a plane either.  I hid it in a plant (since I took an uber) came back to enter and the lady apologized and said I'm allowed in with it  :lol  I ended up using it outside in the smoking area and chatting with her for awhile during intermission.  She's from Jamaica and knew what it was but I guess didn't realize the rules are kind of OK with it.

Also asked the budtender about bringing that to the Forum in LA and he said its fine but if they ask, say its tobacco.  No one asked and I've never had anyone ask what it is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1105 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:07 AM »
I put that question out when we were discussing legal markets. My point was assuming it was legal either way.

If it were legal to both buy my neighbor or the store and the neighbor was say 25% cheaper for the same product, I'd buy from the neighbor.  Now if the price and difference of product varies, then my answer varies too. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1106 on: December 12, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »

Won't it be sort of the "iPhone" effect for a while?   I mean, the shit moonshine that my great uncle used to make was way cheaper than Tito's, but as the dust settles and all is said and done, it'll become priced at the point that it's just too easy to do what Cram did than try to find the illegal dude and hope there's not fentanyl in it. 

I'll tell you what, though; hearing Chino's story makes me so mad I could spit.   My sate... my god.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1107 on: December 12, 2018, 12:12:56 PM »
Actually funny with the vape pens.  I went to the Steven Wilson concert in NJ recently and the security stopped me at the door when she saw my vape pen and said this pen is not allowed in.  It was the first time someone recognized it for what it was, I've never had issues before getting into any concert or event or on a plane either.  I hid it in a plant (since I took an uber) came back to enter and the lady apologized and said I'm allowed in with it  :lol  I ended up using it outside in the smoking area and chatting with her for awhile during intermission.  She's from Jamaica and knew what it was but I guess didn't realize the rules are kind of OK with it.

Also asked the budtender about bringing that to the Forum in LA and he said its fine but if they ask, say its tobacco.  No one asked and I've never had anyone ask what it is.
I had some friends get stopped walking into a concert in Vancouver for having a joint in a pack of smokes. The guy who confiscated it was apologetic to the point of seeming racked with guilt. He felt so bad about having to take their stash that they felt bad for putting him in that situation.  "It's OK, sir. We forgive you." :lol  Canadians are a trip.

And back in the mid-80s I found a sneak-a-toke outside the doors at a Priest concert. Somebody like you, but they panicked at the sight of the metal detectors and dropped it. I didn't think twice about picking it up and walking in with it. Turned out to have some great smoke inside it, which really hit the spot, and was a treasured piece of paraphernalia for many years after. I suppose nowadays if I found your pen stashed somewhere I wouldn't take it. I'd know you were coming back for it. It'd probably be quite a few mg lighter when you got it back, though.  :biggrin:
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1108 on: December 12, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
 :lol I was looking all around to make sure no one was watching me hide my stash