Author Topic: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. #1: -.---.----..  (Read 64113 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Big Hath's Top 50 Albums v. #1: -.---.----..
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »
Ok folks, this is my list.  I've had to force myself to a max of 3 albums per band as it not only gives you a bit more variety, but it probably helps me get a truer list out there since I tend to obsess over certain bands.  However, there is absolutely no way I could name less than 3 albums for some bands and say this is my top 50.  I'm sure a lot of the albums on my list are pretty well known by many here, so for some I may just talk more about my experience with the album rather than give a "review".

And I also should state that previous to getting into hard rock/prog/metal/etc, I was likely coming from a very different background than most here.  I mostly just listened to what was popular at the time up through high school, and living in the rural south US, I probably had more country albums than anything else as I started college.  Then my experiences playing trumpet and bass led me through some funk, soul, R&B and jazz phases.  Some of that influence you will see throughout my list.

Anyway I hope you enjoy this journey.  I hope to have the first entry or two posted by Monday.  But first I want to talk about a couple of items.

To start off, I want to list two works of distinction that really don't fit anywhere else.  These are not part of my top 50 proper, however I would be remiss if I did not talk about them at the outset.  Both works are very special to me and were both introduced to me as a vocalist performing them as part of a chorus/choir.  And both are by contemporary classical composers.

The first is an a capella composition by Morten Lauridsen entitled "O Magnum Mysterium".  I have such a deep connection with this song having performed it a few times in college, but it is not the performances I remember, it is the hundreds of times rehearsing it with 12-15 other people that are also enjoying it and as invested in making great music just as much as I am.  I still get goose bumps listening to it.  This is what will be played at my funeral (if I get goose bumps then - watch out!).

Get relaxed, empty your mind, and take 7 minutes out of your day and listen to this.  Pay attention to the dissonance introduced by the altos around 3:17 and that great crescendo into the 4 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZxRnG6XvZo

The Bay Brass also has recorded a most awesome version for a brass choir.

The second is an extended work by John Rutter for choir and orchestra entitled Requiem.  In high school I was named to a national select choir that was to perform this song, conducted by Rutter himself.  And I also had the good fortune that our performance took place in none other than Carnegie Hall.  This was quite an experience!  The work has seven movements and each of them is awesome in their own way.  This has been recorded several times and can be found on CD, usually coupled with other works.

Probably not the start you were expecting, but these two works are so ingrained in my soul that I can't not bring them up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:02:32 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Big Hath's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »
Bring on the 'don!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:16:56 AM »
Following.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 04:23:35 AM »
SO following.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 04:30:35 AM »
I follow alot of top 50 lists, I love reading the mini-reviews :3
I love beautiful things.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:35:01 AM »
Just don't forget to write the year after each album.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 04:37:02 AM »

:clap:

Well played
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 04:41:39 AM »
The listmaster himself will do his top 50? Definitely following.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 05:14:08 AM »
The listmaster himself will do his top 50? Definitely following.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 05:23:53 AM »
following

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »
Bring on the 'don!

they will definitely make an appearance or two.  Although you are probably not going to be satisfied with the selections.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »

YES!!!
Winger would be better!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
Le'go!!!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

:rollin :clap:

SO following, btw.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
I'm in.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
Let's get it on!!

#50 - Tower of Power - Tower of Power (1973)

For those not familiar, TOP is a soul/funk band from the Bay Area in California.  Their heyday was the early to mid-70's, then they made a comeback in the late-80's and the band has continued strong on through today.  They have gone through numerous lineup changes (60 individuals have toured or recorded with them over their 40+ years), most notably at vocals, but the bedrock is awesome musicianship and pinpoint precision against impossibly complex and funky arrangements.  I would say this is the tightest band I have ever heard, quite a feat when you consider it consists of 10 to 13 or so members.  They are also known for lending their horn section out to artists including Santana, Heart, Huey Lewis, Poison, Toto, Aerosmith and many more.

While they found some success with their first two albums East Bay Grease ("Knock Yourself Out", "Sparkling in the Sand") and Bump City ("You're Still A Young Man", "Down to the Nightclub", etc), for me the classic TOP period began in 1973 with their self-titled album.  This album marked the debut of vocalist Lenny Williams who would sing on the next two TOP albums and go on to have a notable solo career.  It was also the debut of current Saturday Night Live band leader and saxaphone badass Lenny Pickett.  This self-titled album reached #15 on the US charts.

The album kicks off with possibly Tower's best known song, "What Is Hip?" and you immediately know what this band is all about - Garibaldi laying down a funky beat, horn hits, awesome guitar licks flowing in and out, smooth vocals, and Rocco knocking out a constant stream of 16th notes on the bass.  The other classic song included here is a real cooker, "Soul Vaccination".  The breakdown section from 2:28 to 3:15 in that song is musical perfection.  Other standouts include "So Very Hard To Go" and "Just Another Day".

"Soul vaccination, all across the nation, people been catchin' honkypox"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:25:41 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
Following!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 07:18:02 PM »
Tower of Power was going to come to my town, but the show never happened.... :P

I don't have the album, but what I have heard from them, epic funkyness!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »

if I remember, you play trumpet right?  I can't express how awesome the TOP horns are/have been for the past 40 years.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »

if I remember, you play trumpet right?  I can't express how awesome the TOP horns are/have been for the past 40 years.
Yeah dude! Some great Horn Sections emerged in the 70's, Chicago, Earth, Wind and Fire, and naturally Tower of Power. The list could go on endlessly.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
most definitely.  EWF and Chicago are great.

Have you heard of Chase?  They're another jazz-rock group from the 70's led by trumpeter Bill Chase.  They had four(!) trumpets that could absolutely wail.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
Haven't but I'll check 'em out!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
I heard Tower of Power used performance enhancing suppliments.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 10:12:26 PM »
I'm a fan of Tower of Power and those true Funk, R&B, Soul bands of that era. Great stuff  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:28 PM »
I heard Tower of Power used performance enhancing suppliments.

ha, can you imagine the amount of "substance" they went through?  That is the primary reason they pretty much disappeared as a band in the late-70's/early-80's.  Of course, I'm sure you're referring to Victor Conte (BALCO) who played bass in the band in the late-70's.  His cousin, Bruce Conte, was a long time guitarist in TOP and actually played on the album above.
Winger would be better!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 04:46:07 AM »
Following!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:45 PM »
#49 - Dan Swano - Moontower (1999)

After the good Dr. DTVT posted this entry in his under-appreciated thread, I listened to it on constant loop for about a week straight.  This album is right in my wheelhouse.  I love the progressive nature Mr. Swano injects into this Death Metal album.  But that may be a misnomer - you hear the growling and immediately think death metal, but it is so much more.  This album is as much progressive rock as it is death metal.  The keyboards up front in the mix are awesome and Swano uses some really great sounds on this album.  And the production is top notch.  The growling vocals set against the keyboard heavy instrumental mix really works.  There are only certain growling vocals I can listen to; Swano and Akerfeldt are right at the top of the list.  Aside from his production on Opeth's Morningrise, I had never heard any of his work.  But this album has led me to explore Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, and his Odyssey project.

Some of my favorite songs: The opening track "Sun of the Night" has great keyboards and crunching guitars but also some acoustic guitar and piano emerging later in the song.  After a brief atmospheric keyboard intro, "Patchworks" continues the energetic keyboard/guitar assault before moving into a mid-tempo section that leads into a great groove over which Swano releases some machine-gun growling lines which is probably my favorite moment on the album.  "Uncreation" has perhaps the most depressing lyrics on the albums that contrasts with an almost uplifting guitar solo.

It's amazing to think that one guy did pretty much everything on this project from the writing, instrumentation, arranging, production, etc.  I just wish he would do more like this.

"I will have to confess, the music you listen to now is pretty damn far from the truth.  In league with machines, that help me to play all of the harmonies born in my head"
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
I love what Arjen did with Swano on the two Star One albums.  I tried some of Nightingale... didn't work for me.  I'm not much of a growlie/death metal guy (as Mason knows full well), although a couple things recently have grown on me.

Nice writeup though.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 01:40:07 AM »
I've never heard that album before, but it sounds really interesting. Will give it a listen soon.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 01:54:33 AM »
That album is the cat's pajamas! I love it. Will definitely be in my top 50 as well.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 03:23:34 AM »
Time to finally start listening to this one. I found it on Spotify after having tried (and failed) to download it multiple times in the past.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 03:24:50 AM »
Moontower is incredible, quite similar to his Edge of Sanity project which are some of the best progressive death metal I've ever heard.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »
I've never heard that album before, but it sounds really interesting. Will give it a listen soon.

Time to finally start listening to this one. I found it on Spotify after having tried (and failed) to download it multiple times in the past.

yes, definitely check it out, but it can be quite difficult to find.

should have mentioned this in the write-up, but you can tell he put his heart and soul into this album.  He pours his insecurities about his dreams, death, songwriting, etc into the lyrics.  And the cover is as if you are peering right into his soul.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »
Moontower is incredible, quite similar to his Edge of Sanity project which are some of the best progressive death metal I've ever heard.

yep, both of those are awesome, however I would note that Edge of Sanity is coming from a definite death metal stance whereas the solo album is much more in the progressive rock/metal vein albeit with death vocals.  Just making that distinction so someone isn't expecting the Moontower sound from EoS.
Winger would be better!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
Holy shit, this album is fucking amazing. Why haven't I tried hearing it before?  :metal
Squ