Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 108508 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. Grimspound (Out on April 28th)
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2017, 11:35:41 PM »
I bought The Underfall Yard last week. (The album, not the boatyard in Bristol.) Once again, absolutely magnificent music! I feel like the title track will become a real favourite of mine once I get properly familiar with it. What a powerful voice David Longdon has too! Bearing in mind this is his first album aboard the Train, I can imagine the impact it had on release-era fans.

Onwards to Grimspound in 5 weeks' time!

Ahh yes, TUY is an amazing album, great opening instrumental, "Victorian Brickwork" has that climactic outro with the trumpet solo, and of course the title track, a modern masterpiece epic. When Longdon came on board, they put out an amazing album. It was also the first album with Nick D'Virgilio as a fulltime member, as he had guested on their previous album. I need to revisit this one in a couple of weeks before Grimpsound drops, which I've already pre-ordered from BurningShed, and for fairly cheap too!

Underfall also has made me a huge fan a few months after it came out. I think it's still their most concise album. A friend of mine wrote BBT a message and they said there would be a vinyl release in 2019 too, if I remember correctly.

But now I can't wait for Grimspound! Folklore was already amazing, I hope they can live up to that. I already ordered the limited colored vinyl version. (Man I'm spending too much money on music, seriously.)

Yes, I think the band are working on releasing their earlier albums on vinyl, as they started with both English Electric albums, and have continued with Folklore and Grimspound, so it shouldn't be too long until it comes out! I hope they do an expanded/complete Far Skies Deep Time vinyl, with "Kingmaker" as the first track, "Master of Time" as the second, and the rest of the album as usual. With all 6 tracks, it's practically a full-length album!

Listened to Folklore enjoyed it. Decided to check out Underfall the song, loved it. Checked out their debut on YouTube (the original 1994 version) fell in love with it.

These guys are amazing and I'm glad I finally decided to hear their songs.
I could never get into any of their stuff from before The Difference Machine.. I don't know why.

Their earlier stuff can be a bit hit-or-miss, though there are inklings of where they would eventually end up by the time they made TDM and TUY, especially in some of their longer songs, but you can tell their earlier stuff feels a BIT dated. The remasters the band released a few years ago for their first two albums are really good, though. I say, if you like the band, their first two are worth checking out just to hear where they came from and how they go to where they are today. It's quite an interesting journey!

It's hard to believe that their debut came out around the same time as the debuts for bands like Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, and Porcupine Tree, but they largely went unknown until The Underfall Yard hit, at least to me. I had never heard of them until that album came out, and then all of a sudden, everyone was getting into them. For the longest time, I couldn't get past their band name - it sounded really silly and dumb to me at the time, so I dismissed their work (which was HIGHLY foolish of me to do so).

It wasn't until about 3 months after EE Part One came out (around the end of November 2012) that I got into them, and ordered both EE1 and the "Tera-Bundle" (6 discs, which contained Goodbye To The Age Of Steam 2011, Far Skies Deep TIme,  The Underfall Yard, English Boy Wonders 2008, The Difference Machine 2010, and  Gathering Speed 2009). After 6-7 weeks of digesting those 7 albums, I promptly pre-ordered EE2 a couple months before it came out in March 2013 (what a birthday gift!), and I have since been a huge fan of the band and have been pre-ordering their music ever since (even getting English Electric Full Power + Make Some Noise EP, so I essentially have 2 versions of the same set of songs). Needless to say, they shot up my list of favorite bands of all time pretty quickly 4.5 years ago!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2017, 02:31:54 AM »
Has anyone heard the new song already? I'm trying to stay strong and not listen but I'd love some mini-reviews.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »
M,
 What are the must haves for you? I don't have any BBT but am listening to Fokelore on youtube right now.

For some reason their albums are sort of silly expensive on Amazon.com.... at least older releases..

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2017, 12:34:52 AM »
M,
 What are the must haves for you? I don't have any BBT but am listening to Fokelore on youtube right now.

For some reason their albums are sort of silly expensive on Amazon.com.... at least older releases..

Easily anything the band has released since David Longdon and Nick D'Virgilio have joined the band:
The Underfall Yard
Far Skies Deep Time EP (there are two versions, but if you get one, you can probably track down an mp3 download of the other one for the 6th track)
English Electric Full Power (the compiled double album was re-released last October, with remastered sound)
Folklore (the "complete" version, used for the vinyl LP and also available for high-quality download, which includes all three tracks from their Wassail EP)

For pre-Longdon stuff, definitely check out The Difference Machine (the newest version from 2010), and if you like that, go back one more album to Gathering Speed. The first three albums are interesting, but I'll be honest, I do not spin them very often, at least not anywhere near as much as their last three albums, but if you like everything else, it's worth checking out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
Is that Folklore "Complete" available on physical media? How would I be able to tell on amazon if it was the right one? I don't see one marked "Complete" or whatever.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
Is that Folklore "Complete" available on physical media? How would I be able to tell on amazon if it was the right one? I don't see one marked "Complete" or whatever.

It's on vinyl, but not CD. You'll have to get the Wassail EP to get the three extra tracks not included on the Folklore CD.

(Or, if you're quite patient, wait until the compilation release that I'm somehow expecting will happen at some point, combining all songs from the Folklore era, like they did with English Electric: Full Power. (Again, this is entirely my own speculation.))

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »

It's on vinyl, but not CD. You'll have to get the Wassail EP to get the three extra tracks not included on the Folklore CD.

(Or, if you're quite patient, wait until the compilation release that I'm somehow expecting will happen at some point, combining all songs from the Folklore era, like they did with English Electric: Full Power. (Again, this is entirely my own speculation.))

Back when Grimpsound was just an EP named Skylon, I would have agreed to the notion that there'd be a full compilation of Folklore music, combining the album, the Wassail EP, and the then-to-be-released Skylon EP, but now that it's a full-blown album, I'm not so sure.

I think Grimspound is still being marketed as a companion album to Folklore, though, so there's still a small possibility that we may see a tweaked tracklist compilation, a la English Electric Full Power, combining all 19 tracks into a massive double album. If they do that, then BBT gets even MORE of my money.

I became a fan between EE1 and EE2, so naturally, after having bought EE1 (and the rest of their back catalog), I pre-ordered EE2, then later on when EEFP was announced, I got that version with the Make Some Noise EP as well, so I've got every track at least TWICE. Totally worth it, though, especially since the EEFP packaging is REALLY nice.

Regarding the "complete" Folklore, you can do what I did - just buy the high-quality audio from the band's bandcamp page, and make a 2-CDr version of the vinyl LP, or just buy the vinyl (unless of course, you don't own a record player/really want the CD). Either way, as RoeDent said, there is no officially released CD version of the complete Folklore track list, just ones you can make at home like I have!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
I genuinely have not come across a band like BBT ever before. I'm getting feelings from this music that I've not got from anything else. This is skillful tone painting akin to the great orchestrators of the classical tradition, but transferred to rock music. Just take East Coast Racer for one example. The middle section especially takes you on the record-breaking run aboard the Mallard. The way the music just races along at great speed, with Longdon's delivery at a slower pace so you take the words in. And what a line is "A rocket in blue, at two miles a minute"! Anyone can say 120mph, but that's just genius!

And then you have that glorious crescendo from 8:47 onwards, culminating after a few minutes in one of THE great euphoric moments in all of prog history: "Into history, and into legend...she FLIIIIIIIES!!!" OHH YESSS MY SON!!! And after experiencing the highest of highs, they even make sure you land safely and comfortably too. A thing of absolute beauty.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2017, 06:13:07 AM »
I loved the one track I goth rom these guys in a roulette.  I should probably take a run at their catalog.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »
I genuinely have not come across a band like BBT ever before. I'm getting feelings from this music that I've not got from anything else. This is skillful tone painting akin to the great orchestrators of the classical tradition, but transferred to rock music. Just take East Coast Racer for one example. The middle section especially takes you on the record-breaking run aboard the Mallard. The way the music just races along at great speed, with Longdon's delivery at a slower pace so you take the words in. And what a line is "A rocket in blue, at two miles a minute"! Anyone can say 120mph, but that's just genius!

And then you have that glorious crescendo from 8:47 onwards, culminating after a few minutes in one of THE great euphoric moments in all of prog history: "Into history, and into legend...she FLIIIIIIIES!!!" OHH YESSS MY SON!!! And after experiencing the highest of highs, they even make sure you land safely and comfortably too. A thing of absolute beauty.

I feel you, man, there's a LOT of moments in BBT's music that are pretty euphoric, musically speaking. In my recent Genesis-binge-listening between February and March, I came to see and hear and feel how much of BBT has Genesis in their blood (not to mention that Nick D'Virgilio was actually on Calling All Stations, and that David Longdon was on the list of auditioned vocalists for that same album). But not only is it in their blood, but they take that influence and amplify it 100 times, pushing that pastoral English feel into modern times, weaving a smoother, sometimes silkier blanket of sounds that is so aurally pleasing to my ears. The combination of Longdon's vocals, the lush keyboards and guitars, the proficient drumming, the soaring violin and strings, the dreamy brass and horns...everything just mixes together so well and creates a sound so similar, so familiar, but so unique to BBT. Of the bands that I have discovered in the last 5 years, BBT definitely stands out and above the rest, and so whenever new material is coming out, I am anxiously and eagerly awaiting it!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:38 AM »
New video for part of Experimental Gentlemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlOm97Yh7U

Highlights include David Longdon air-guitaring with a walking cane.  ;D Oh, and the chorus chords are the same as for The Transit of Venus Across the Sun, thus tying this album and Folklore together.

Also, one week until Grimspound is released!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:35:23 PM by RoeDent »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2017, 12:23:46 PM »
New video for the second half of Experimental Gentlemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlOm97Yh7U

Highlights include David Longdon air-guitaring with a walking cane.  ;D Oh, and the chorus chords are the same as for The Transit of Venus Across the Sun, thus tying this album and Folklore together.

Also, one week until Grimspound is released!

Not feelin it. I turned it off 1/4 of the way through. I'll try again later.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »
My CD has been shipped from Burning Shed, so it should be on its way here shortly! Hard to believe it's only been a year since Folklore and we're already getting another album. Big Big Train certainly know how to spoil their fans!

And thinking about it in the car ride home earlier, it dawned on me that the band, with the release of Grimspound, will have released just as many albums with David Longdon (and NDV) as they have without, and the 5 albums with David have all been released in an 8-year time-span, whereas their first five studio albums were released in their first 13 years. I'm glad the band have been very active since 2009's The Underfall Yard. In fact, since 2009, they've had at least one release a year except in 2011 and 2014, including EPs with LPs. Pretty impressive, so I hope they keep that up!

I might get my wish on that, though, because apparently Station Masters, a 3-disc compilation of re-recordings of old songs (and some new ones) might get released in 3 separate volumes (which I would be OK with), and they're still working on those as the years go by. They also have a huge concept album in the works as well (a double album, I believe), so they've got PLENTY of material to release over the coming years, not to mention any live albums or EPs they decide to toss out there as well!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2017, 04:39:11 AM »
My CD has been shipped from Burning Shed, so it should be on its way here shortly! Hard to believe it's only been a year since Folklore and we're already getting another album. Big Big Train certainly know how to spoil their fans!

And thinking about it in the car ride home earlier, it dawned on me that the band, with the release of Grimspound, will have released just as many albums with David Longdon (and NDV) as they have without, and the 5 albums with David have all been released in an 8-year time-span, whereas their first five studio albums were released in their first 13 years. I'm glad the band have been very active since 2009's The Underfall Yard. In fact, since 2009, they've had at least one release a year except in 2011 and 2014, including EPs with LPs. Pretty impressive, so I hope they keep that up!

I might get my wish on that, though, because apparently Station Masters, a 3-disc compilation of re-recordings of old songs (and some new ones) might get released in 3 separate volumes (which I would be OK with), and they're still working on those as the years go by. They also have a huge concept album in the works as well (a double album, I believe), so they've got PLENTY of material to release over the coming years, not to mention any live albums or EPs they decide to toss out there as well!

-Marc.

Don't forget the awesome The Difference Machine! I think it's crazy the Sean Filkins sounded a lot like David on that album :D I didn't even realize it was a different singer at first!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »

-Marc.

Don't forget the awesome The Difference Machine! I think it's crazy the Sean Filkins sounded a lot like David on that album :D I didn't even realize it was a different singer at first!

I think the two BBT albums with Sean Filkins are pretty underappteciated, Gathering Speed more so than The Difference Machine,  but I really enjoy both. I agree, Sean sounds quite a bit like David on TDM, but I think that may have been a stylistic choice as it suits the music very well. I really hope one or two songs from that album get re-recorded for the Station Masters compilations - I'd love to hear David on that material!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2017, 05:14:50 AM »
My Grimspound Vinyl has been sent the day before yesterday - when do you guys think it will arrive here in Germany? I can't wait  :mehlin

I'd love the whole Difference Machine with David! I couldn't get into Gathering Speed too much though, don't know why. But TDM certainly is a great album, a lot more weird, rock-based and Crimso/VdGG-influenced than the following albums.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »
I discovered this band on Monday!  I went to amazon to Pre Order the new 'Mew' album, and glanced at the 'people who ordered this album also brought.....' section and first up was 'Grimspound'.  I'd never heard of Big Big Train before so as I had a few minutes popped on to their wiki page - 'prog with folky undertones' sounded up my street.  Off to youtube hit up 'Folklore' the song - Oh wow this is great.  Off to iTunes (sorry physical media lovers) and brought the album, 3 spins later and I'm loving this band.  Back to iTunes and brought the 'Full Power' double album - Holy shit this is even better!  Got 'Grimspound' on order to now :)

I had a feeling I'd find a thread about em on this site :)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
I discovered this band on Monday!  I went to amazon to Pre Order the new 'Mew' album, and glanced at the 'people who ordered this album also brought.....' section and first up was 'Grimspound'.  I'd never heard of Big Big Train before so as I had a few minutes popped on to their wiki page - 'prog with folky undertones' sounded up my street.  Off to youtube hit up 'Folklore' the song - Oh wow this is great.  Off to iTunes (sorry physical media lovers) and brought the album, 3 spins later and I'm loving this band.  Back to iTunes and brought the 'Full Power' double album - Holy shit this is even better!  Got 'Grimspound' on order to now :)

I had a feeling I'd find a thread about em on this site :)

Welcome aboard the Train!

And Happy Grimspound Eve to one and all!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2017, 11:00:35 AM »
I've heard a few songs here and there from this band (Folklore's title track and some songs from English Electric albums), and I know our local record store has English Electric Part I for sale, so I'm getting there tomorrow to grab that one, and possibly the new album if they have it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »
I've heard a few songs here and there from this band (Folklore's title track and some songs from English Electric albums), and I know our local record store has English Electric Part I for sale, so I'm getting there tomorrow to grab that one, and possibly the new album if they have it.

I'd recommend you to buy English Electric Full Power rather than the two parts separately. You'd have to get the Make Some Noise EP to get the complete thing. Also I think that EEFP is a great overall masterpiece as it is.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »

I'd recommend you to buy English Electric Full Power rather than the two parts separately. You'd have to get the Make Some Noise EP to get the complete thing. Also I think that EEFP is a great overall masterpiece as it is.

I know, but then I'll have to pay shipping costs from abroad, and this will end up being way more expensive.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2017, 05:06:58 AM »
So does anyone already have his Grimspound? I'm still sitting at home waiting for the mail guy to ring... I hope it arrives today.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2017, 05:53:02 AM »
I listened to it twice.  It's good (to hard to tell how good atm, and I'm very new to this band at the minute).   Brave Captain, Ivy Gate & Mead Hall have stood out so far.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2017, 06:34:02 AM »
Got my copy today, the old-fashioned way (ie. I went to the shop and bought it). Waiting until the evening for my first full playthrough though, as is my usual custom with new albums.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Right now, As the crow flies is probably my favorite.  Need to do more spins, the album is really well put together and beautiful. 

Mead hall in winter is awesome too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:21:09 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
My copy didn't arrive today  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Which means it won't arrive tomorrow and not Monday because of 1st of May, BUT TUESDAY!! I am so pissed, I was looking forward to hearing it this weekend so much.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:34:14 PM by Fritzinger »

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
You can listen right now. They are cool enough to have a bandcamp

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/grimspound-hi-resolution-audio

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »
I got a download code from the band as well, but I wanted the first listen to be at home with my vinyl player :/

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
An amazing album start to finish.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
Having listened several times, I can agree - the opener, "The Ivy Gate" and "A Mead Hall In Winter" are easy favorites, but I also really like NDV's drumming in the instrumental second track. The whole album feels more of a grower than Folklore did for me, but I think that's a good thing. I'd rather let this one sink in after some time.

Also, Greg posted today (or yesterday?) on Facebook that they won't have any new material next year (Yeah, they've spoiled us last year and this year), but will likely release volume 1 of Station Masters, so that's something to look forward to. Honestly, they could release SMv1 next year, their double-album concept in 2019, SMv2 in 2020, and then something else in 2021. I would just love to see them release a new album every year - a new studio album, a live album, or a compilation of re-recordings.

-Marc.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
I'm listening to the new album right now for the first time. It's an impressive piece of work so far. Right now I'm loving the track, A Mead Hall in Winter. They take you through so many twists and turns throughout the song. Besides the obvious Peter Gabriel-style vocals, the music reminds me of everything from Kansas to Pink Floyd to Gentle Giant. These guys never disappoint. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2017, 02:43:27 AM »
Sorry I think I missed something, what is the Station Masters please?  :huh:

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Depending on how the new Anathema turns out, this Grimspound may be my album of the year. I like it more and more with each listen

I do hope that the female singer is on more songs in future releases though. She is really good
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:24:14 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »
I'm listening to the new album right now for the first time. It's an impressive piece of work so far. Right now I'm loving the track, A Mead Hall in Winter. They take you through so many twists and turns throughout the song. Besides the obvious Peter Gabriel-style vocals, the music reminds me of everything from Kansas to Pink Floyd to Gentle Giant. These guys never disappoint.

"A Mead Hall In Winter" just might be the track of the album for me, and not just because it's the longest song, but because it just has so many great moments and the way they get into the chorus with its soaring vocal melody just hits me in all the right spots. The lyrics are very romantic too, and I like their songs like that. Everything about AMHIW is just spot-on.

I too got the huge Kansas-vibe in "Brave Captain", as well as an Hogarth-era Marillion vibe in the middle of that song, where David's vocals are using an effect and it's a rising melody with a great build-up - VERY Marillion-ish there! These guys all definitely hit some influential vibes but do it all in a way that keeps it consistent and unique to BBT and doesn't smell of cheap-rip-off-ness.

Sorry I think I missed something, what is the Station Masters please?  :huh:

According to what I can find on the band's blogspot, it was first announced back on a blog post back in September 2013:
"We have commenced work on a new album as well as the Station Masters retrospective and Nick returns to England at the end of September for some more recording."

After that, the next mention of it was a few months later in January of 2014:
"Alongside our Real World preparation we are well into recording a new studio album, and work continues on Station Masters where we are revisiting some of our earlier songs with the new line-up."

A year after the initial announcement, in September 2014, this was post:
"We are slowly making progress with the Station Masters retrospective release and will try to get that finished off alongside the new songs."

Since 2014, however, news on the compilation's progress has been sparse until as of late. I think it was originally one or two discs, but not it seems to have been realized as a three-volume retrospective of re-recordings, which may sound like a lot, but they have plenty of material to pick and choose from in their Pre-Longdon/TUY days, so even 3-4 hours worth of re-recordings would be great, but not everything (because I would LOVE to hear their pre-TUY albums all re-done with the new line-up).

Either way, it seems like Station Masters Volume 1 is set for release next year, hopefully. It was originally meant for a 2014 release, but I suppose doing live shows and getting Folklore and Grimspound put together took a long time, too.

Depending on how the new Anathema turns out, this Grimspound may be my album of the year. I like it more and more with each listen

I do hope that the female singer is on more songs in future releases though. She is really good
BBT have been in Top 5 albums of the year for me every time they've released a new album, so this one stands a good chance at being AOTY for me, though like you said, its got some competition, especially if Anathema puts out a good one, but for me, there's also Ayreon (which I need to listen to more), The Tangent, and possibly the third Flying Colors album. Either way, it's another good year for new prog! And I agree, the female vocalist adds a nice touch to the band!

-Marc.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2017, 09:13:53 PM »

"A Mead Hall In Winter" just might be the track of the album for me, and not just because it's the longest song, but because it just has so many great moments and the way they get into the chorus with its soaring vocal melody just hits me in all the right spots. The lyrics are very romantic too, and I like their songs like that. Everything about AMHIW is just spot-on.

I too got the huge Kansas-vibe in "Brave Captain", as well as an Hogarth-era Marillion vibe in the middle of that song, where David's vocals are using an effect and it's a rising melody with a great build-up - VERY Marillion-ish there! These guys all definitely hit some influential vibes but do it all in a way that keeps it consistent and unique to BBT and doesn't smell of cheap-rip-off-ness.

I always feel like they throw a curve ball at you. Just when you think they're done with the surprises, they hit you with something else. It's great.