Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 108443 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Big Big Train v. English Electric (Part Two) - NOW OUT!
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »
Since this is the closest thing to a Big Big Train thread that I am aware of: New EP being released June 1st.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/506/6614/

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:50 PM »
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
The EP is out and can be streamed at Bandcamp.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
The EP is out and can be streamed at Bandcamp.

Listened to the EP last night on a car ride around the city and it's pretty awesome! It's definitely whet my appetite for more BBT next year. I think their next album will be titled Folklore and is due for release early next year. Cannot wait for more!

I've been spinning a lot of their albums lately because of the new EP and I'm reminded just how quickly they became one of my favorite bands since discovering them a couple of years ago.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Big Big Train v. New EP WASSAIL - NOW OUT!
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »
Gave the EP a couple of listens on Spotify today, really nice stuff! Makes me want a full-length though, the EP is a bit too insubstantial.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2016, 03:23:24 AM »
They've just announced a new album named Folklore, for release May 27th. :metal

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8MzlCvQqn8

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2016, 04:13:09 AM »
Yay, finally! :D

EDIT: Sounds really great!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »
Don't announce your album on April 1st! People might think you're playing a Fools' prank.  ;D

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. FOLKLORE - New Album May 27th!
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
Hard to believe they'll have a new album out! it feels like forever since English Electric Full Power came out, and to be honest, I hadn't spun Wassail much since it was an EP, and was going to wait til the new album (which has "Wassail" on it) to really dive in to everything.

Coincidentally, another long-awaited album also comes out May 27th in the form of Frost's third album! Summer will be coming in hot with these two albums!!! Now to order both from Burning Shed...just as soon as I have the money to. :(

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
Also, gotta say, while I love the new album's cover art, it's very blue-and-grey, which reminds me a lot of Riverside's last album, as well as Echolyn's last album. Is this a trend in prog now?!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2016, 08:54:32 AM »
Surprised this hasn't been put up yet. Title track from the new BBT album, Folklore.

Over the last few days, I've really started to get into this band, after stumbling across Uncle Jack (from English Electric 1). That song is a beautiful breath of fresh summer air. I've also heard Wassail since then. Looks like May 27th will be an expensive day with this and the new Frost* coming out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
Surprised this hasn't been put up yet. Title track from the new BBT album, Folklore.

Over the last few days, I've really started to get into this band, after stumbling across Uncle Jack (from English Electric 1). That song is a beautiful breath of fresh summer air. I've also heard Wassail since then. Looks like May 27th will be an expensive day with this and the new Frost* coming out.

Ah yes, Frost* and BBT will be the start to my summer of prog!!

As for the new title track, I listened/watched "Folklore" just once. I don't want to over-play it and have it become stale before the rest of the album when it comes out. Whether by coincidence or  accident, I also have not spun the Wassail EP much in the last year since it came out, and now the whole EP is part of the album (well, the vinyl version, but that tracklisting is how I'll listen to it given that, in addition to pre-ordering the physical CD from BurningShed, I also pre-ordered the high quality FLAC audio from BBT's bandcamp, which features the vinyl tracklist). Easily one of my most anticipated albums of 2016!

My impressions of the title track are pretty positive. It's got a great vibe and has a damn catchy chorus. The solo-trading at the end is spectacular, too, between all of the instruments. It's a very playful tune overall, and I hope the rest of the album is like that.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2016, 05:03:43 AM »
So, a mere nine days before their next album is released, today I received my copy of English Electric: Full Power in the post. First of all, what a package! The thickest digibook I've ever seen. Wonderful detailed liner notes about each of the songs. The songs are magnificently orchestrated, incorporating not just prog/rock instruments, but flutes, violins, banjos and a brass band.

And there's 135 minutes of this incredible music too, making this my longest studio album, beating The Astonishing by c. 5 minutes.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
The digital formats are out today, at least from the band's own bandcamp page, and WOW. What an album. Given it at least one full spin with mostly intent listening, and there's some great moments across the whole thing, though I really like "The Transit Of Venus Across The Sun" a lot.

I got the vinyl tracklist in high-res audio format, so it includes all 3 studio tracks from the Wassail EP in it, which I didn't burn myself out on last year (thankfully), so now the whole album sounds fresh to me. "Folklore" and "Wassail" are easily the catchiest tracks on the album with some of the band's most powerful and memorable choruses to date. The "London" suite of Side 2 features some nice moments, especially the epic. And speaking of epics, "Brooklands" is pretty sublime as well. The whole album is so good, and just as good as any of their works since Longdon joined the band.

-Marc.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
First listen now, the title track is awesome :tup Great opener.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »
The band is really firing on all cylinders here.  Really solid effort, can't wait to get more time with this album.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »
The band is really firing on all cylinders here.  Really solid effort, can't wait to get more time with this album.

No kidding, they've really tapped into something great. The song writing is at such a high and consistent level. Their last few albums are essential listening.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

No kidding, they've really tapped into something great. The song writing is at such a high and consistent level. Their last few albums are essential listening.

I couldn't agree more. This album, along with every album since The Difference Machine, have all been pretty amazing. David Longdon's vocals are top-notch, full of soulful melody and British gracefulness that harkens back to Gabriel-era Genesis, but with a bit more "oomph" thrown in. Couple all of that with gorgeous string and horn arrangements, and this band is definitely a must-listen for fans of that 70's era British prog rock like Genesis.

The run of "The Underfall Yard - Far Skies Deep Time (w/King Maker) - English Electric Full Power - Folklore (high-res/Vinyl tracklist )" has to be one of my absolute favorite runs of albums/studio work in recent years. Big Big Train rose quickly into my Top 10 bands of all time because of this, and I'm sure with their upcoming EP (next year's Skylon) and re-recorded songs compilation (Station Masters, probably next year), they'll definitely cement their standing with me, if not move into coveted Top 5 Bands territory.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06:49 PM »
I finally got Folklore today! I was considerably moved by the ending of London Plane. What a soaring final chorus and guitar solo! We have here a truly special band.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. A Stone's Throw From The Line - LIVE ALBUM Out 12/2/16!!!
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2016, 06:41:31 PM »
Bump because the band JUST released their first full-fledged live album, A Stone's Throw From The Line, a 2-disc set featuring all of the songs performed at their 3-day gig last summer, though it is a compilation, most of the songs come from the tighter Sunday show (the last of three).

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but if it's as good as their live-in-the-studio release from earlier this year, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Looking forward, it was announced today on Facebook that their next album, Grimspound (formerly an EP titled Skylon), will contain (I believe) 8 tracks, and is set for an April release date! That's less than a year since Folklore!!! The band definitely have their creative juices on full steam ahead!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2016, 03:44:51 AM »
Looking forward, it was announced today on Facebook that their next album, Grimspound (formerly an EP titled Skylon), will contain (I believe) 8 tracks, and is set for an April release date! That's less than a year since Folklore!!! The band definitely have their creative juices on full steam ahead!

-Marc.

True (and I'll forgive the train pun). The English Electric 'cycle' was two albums and an EP (all then combined on Full Power), and as Grimspound is a companion to Folklore, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually those two albums were packaged together in the future. And, if what you say on another thread is correct, the follow-up will be a 2-disc concept album. Perhaps making up for lost time now they're finally finding success and have such a great lineup with so many instruments at their disposal.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2016, 08:40:39 PM »

-Marc.

True (and I'll forgive the train pun). The English Electric 'cycle' was two albums and an EP (all then combined on Full Power), and as Grimspound is a companion to Folklore, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually those two albums were packaged together in the future. And, if what you say on another thread is correct, the follow-up will be a 2-disc concept album. Perhaps making up for lost time now they're finally finding success and have such a great lineup with so many instruments at their disposal.

It'd b e neat to get Grimspound repacked with Folklore (and Wassail EP) as EEFP was made from both parts of EE and the Make Some Noise EP. The digital version of Folklore, as well as the vinyl version, features all 3 tracks from the Wassail EP in a unique running order that I feel is well-intended to be the actual running order of the album, considering side 2 creates a sort of "London Suite", though I'd be interested in hearing all of THOSE tracks mixed in with the 8 or so songs coming out in Grimspound for a massive 19-track experience (a la Full Power).

Oddly enough, they could have almost done the same thing with The Difference Machine, The Underfall Yard and the Far Skies Deep Time EP, as that EP contained outtakes from the previous two albums, so it'd be neat to have all of those packaged together too.

But that would be a LOT of money and double-dipping on the part of fans, though the die-hards definitely do not mind that (especially as I own both parts of English Electric, the MSN EP, and the Full Power version of the albums).

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
As I've already said, I only bought Full Power out of the English Electric albums, and I really can't picture East Coast Racer as an album opener (as it is on EE2). To me, that whole buildup leading to "Into history, and into legend...she FLIIIIIIIES" just sends shivers down the spine, and is the climax of the entire 2-hour English Electric journey, much like BAI is the climax to Dream Theater's ADTOE. What comes after it (in EEFP's case, the end of ECR and then Curator of Butterflies) is the comedown after the ultimate high.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Big Big Train v. Grimspound (Out on April 28th)
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »
Just read a post on FB, an album update from Greg Spawton, the 70+ minute album is about 50 minutes mixed by Rob Aubrey, and should be done in time for release on April 28th!

Hard the believe that, less than a year after the AMAZING Folklore album, we're al ready getting another full album!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2017, 07:43:57 AM »
Great news! April 28th could be an expensive day for some, with Ayreon's The Source coming out on the same day.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »
Great news! April 28th could be an expensive day for some, with Ayreon's The Source coming out on the same day.

BBT have a knack for releasing an album on the same day as another big album. Last year, they released Folklore on the same day at the new Frost* album, their big comeback record Falling Satellites.

Either way, May will be a busy month for me getting both albums and trying to digest each. It's been awhile since the last Ayreon album, so that might take precedence over BBT, who just released an album last year, although I won't lie - I am probably more excited for BBT than Ayreon.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
BBT have a knack for releasing an album on the same day as another big album. Last year, they released Folklore on the same day at the new Frost* album, their big comeback record Falling Satellites.

I was going to say that April 28th feels like this year's May 27th. Also, it took me a while to grasp this:

Just read a post on FB, an album update from Greg Spawton, the 70+ minute album is about 50 minutes mixed by Rob Aubrey

Thought you'd got the timings mixed up and it was either 70 mins or 50 mins, but I get it now. Over 70 minutes of new BBT music is something to look forward to, big time! Apparently some substantial songs in there, with talk of the band "letting their hair down a bit".

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2017, 06:31:42 AM »
Artwork and tracklist announced: https://teamrock.com/news/2017-02-22/big-big-train-announce-new-album-grimspound

1. Brave Captain
2. On the Racing Line
3. Experimental Gentlemen
4. Meadowland
5. Grimspound
6. The Ivy Gate
7. A Mead Hall in Winter
8. As the Crow Flies

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
Artwork and tracklist announced: https://teamrock.com/news/2017-02-22/big-big-train-announce-new-album-grimspound

1. Brave Captain
2. On the Racing Line
3. Experimental Gentlemen
4. Meadowland
5. Grimspound
6. The Ivy Gate
7. A Mead Hall in Winter
8. As the Crow Flies

Greg Spawton posted a graphic yesterday featuring the track times - looks like the album will run just shy of 68 minutes. Pre-orders will go live on March 2nd.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »

Greg Spawton posted a graphic yesterday featuring the track times - looks like the album will run just shy of 68 minutes. Pre-orders will go live on March 2nd.

-Marc.

Can you post them here, or a link to the graphic?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »

-Marc.

Can you post them here, or a link to the graphic?

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154475680024397&id=607319396&set=gm.10154512872733668&source=48

Hope that works!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2017, 01:16:16 AM »
I bought The Underfall Yard last week. (The album, not the boatyard in Bristol.) Once again, absolutely magnificent music! I feel like the title track will become a real favourite of mine once I get properly familiar with it. What a powerful voice David Longdon has too! Bearing in mind this is his first album aboard the Train, I can imagine the impact it had on release-era fans.

Onwards to Grimspound in 5 weeks' time!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2017, 01:36:07 AM »
Underfall also has made me a huge fan a few months after it came out. I think it's still their most concise album. A friend of mine wrote BBT a message and they said there would be a vinyl release in 2019 too, if I remember correctly.

But now I can't wait for Grimspound! Folklore was already amazing, I hope they can live up to that. I already ordered the limited colored vinyl version. (Man I'm spending too much money on music, seriously.)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2017, 11:17:46 PM »
Listened to Folklore enjoyed it. Decided to check out Underfall the song, loved it. Checked out their debut on YouTube (the original 1994 version) fell in love with it.

These guys are amazing and I'm glad I finally decided to hear their songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2017, 04:28:19 AM »
I could never get into any of their stuff from before The Difference Machine.. I don't know why.
any rock can be made to roll