Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 108474 times)

Offline The Letter M

Hello and welcome to the official BIG BIG TRAIN thread! I figured I'd put some relevant information about the band at the top of the first post for any new fans discovering this wonderful band!

If you are brand new to the band, be sure to check them out at their own website for news regarding new recordings, releases, and possible tour info! There are also fairly extensive pages for each of the band's releases, band members, and the band history. Definitely worth checking out if you are interested in learning more about the band as you discover their music!

You can also stream and buy most of their music digitally from their Bandcamp page!

If you wish to buy physical media and merch, you can find their storefronts at Burning Shed (for UK/EU orders, but they do ship internationally) and Band Wagon USA (for US orders).

You can also join the hundreds of other Passengers (the name for BBT fans) on the band's own Facebook Group Forum, where band members will occasionally interact with fans. Much of the discussion will focus on the band's music, individual band members and their own music, prog rock in general, trains, English culture and history, and sprouts (long story). It's generally a fun and peaceful atmosphere with little or no toxicity, and everyone is generally well-mannered and friendly!

Roughly 10 weeks after David Longdon's passing (November 20th, 2021), his last studio album with Big Big Train was released, their 14th studio album Welcome To The Planet, featuring a relatively new line-up that went back into the studio not long after recording their previous album, Common Ground (which was released less than six months before WTTP).

Revealed on March 31st, 2022, a new 270-page hardcover coffee-table book documenting the band's entire history from their early 90s roots all the way up to their 2022 album Welcome To The Planet, BETWEEN THE LINES will be coming on June 17th, including over 180 photographs and illustrations from across the band's career. The book will also include interviews with over 30 musicians, including Genesis' own Tony Banks, who discusses the late David Longdon's audition process following the departure of Phil Collins from Genesis. This is the most comprehensive collection of pictures and stories relating to the band, bookmarking the end of an era for the band.

On April 27th, 2022, the band revealed plans to go on with their Fall 2022 Tour and introduced new lead vocalist and front-man Alberto Bravin. Known for his work with Italian prog band PFM, he joins the now truly-international ensemble as they work towards getting ready for the tour (sans Carly Bryant, who has immovable family plans), as well as working on new music which will be released sometime in 2023. You can view the band's announcement video here!

Big Big Train will embark on Cruise To The Edge 2024, marking their first scheduled performance outside of the UK and mainland Europe!

CARLY BRYANT LEAVES & OSKAR HOLLDORFF JOINS BBT - Keyboardist and vocalist Carly Bryant has made the difficult decision to leave BBT due to family commitments that will prevent her from joining the band on their upcoming and potentially extensive touring over the next two years. Her 2022-tour deputy Oskar Holldorff, from Dim Gray, joins the band in an official capacity and has begun working with the band on their next set of studio material. While Carly is leaving the band, she is still staying in touch and is working on a solo album, to be released through English Electric Records.

If I have anymore information to post here, I will update as it becomes available!

(Last updated January 19th, 2023)

-----(My original post begins below!)-----

So I just recently discovered this great band after reading up on them and noticing they've had Nick D'Virgilio on their last few albums. I listened to a few tracks and then got their albums (they have a GREAT 6-disc bundle deal on their website) and now I am really looking forward to digesting their entire discography! Their recent stuff sounds great, especially their Peter Gabriel-esque vocalist, who sounds amazing without sounding too cheesy (like some Fish-era Marillion - oddly enough, Pete Trewavas guests on one of their albums).

This is great prog from the 90's-to-now, and I have NO idea how I have missed them and passed them by, especially with impressive albums with great acclaim, like The Underfall Yard and their recent release English Electric!

Has anyone else gotten into this band, or been fans from (nearly) the beginning of their career? What are your insights, your favorite albums and songs? I tried to see if there was already a thread on these guys here, but found none so I made this one! Discuss away and as I journey through their albums, I'll be sure to try and post my thoughts on them!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 04:35:09 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rogerdil

Re: Big Big Train v. Get on the train!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
Can't say I listen to them a ton, but The Underfall Yard is very good; have only spun their latest a couple of times so don't have a strong opinion on that.  But yeah, one of those bands that should get more recognition on a supposed prog-likers/lovers forum.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »
Got into these guys a couple of weeks ago because they were a recommendation on Amazon based on my previous purchases, and I love their last two albums to bits. English Electric Part 1 is a really good album, but The Underfall Yard is a masterpiece. Victorian Brickwork especially, with that glorious section that trades off between a lovely cornet solo and guitar leads that would make Steve Hackett weep. I was kind of shocked, given NDV's work with the band, that apparently these guys had flown under the DTF radar. Their albums are on Spotify if you want to give them a try; I can't imagine the average DTF poster not liking at least The Underfall Yard.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
I love them. I have 4 albums: The Underfall Yard, Difference Machine, Gathering Speed, and English Electric Part 1. English Electric is an excellent album and its in my top 10 of the year so far. After my first few listens I didn't think it was as good as The Underfall Yard but its grown on me a lot since then. Judas Unrepentant is probably my favorite but the whole album is worth listening to. Can't wait for Part 2!

Also, they have a Bandcamp with most of their albums available to stream (no commercials for those who don't have Spotify premium) and download.
https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Oh, good, I'm not alone. :D Been playing the hell out of their albums on Spotify lately-except for Underfall Yard, I bought the MP3s off Amazon because I loved it that much.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 04:58:00 AM »
I just discovered them and I've been listening to English Electric almost non stop for the last three days  :biggrin:

These guys are seriously awesome, which album shall I listen to, now?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
The Underfall Yard.  I'm not as impressed by the earlier two, although like I said I'm no expert on the band.

Offline jsem

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »
Have only listened to their latest release, blew my mind... I saw that it was #1 on PA for 2012, I've gotta go backwards in their discography now.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
Have only listened to their latest release, blew my mind... I saw that it was #1 on PA for 2012, I've gotta go backwards in their discography now.

And not only first, but first with an exceptional score! It's still around 4.50, right?
- Marco

Offline jsem

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »
4.49 now... it's now ranked 16 of all prog albums ever there...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
4.49 now... it's now ranked 16 of all prog albums ever there...

Whoa... I just went to see and wow... it's up there with the greatest albums from Rush, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, VdGG and Jethro Tull!!! And it is one of two albums in their Top 20 of all time from the last 10 years, the other being 2012's Viljans Öga by Anglagard, which sits at number 20.

Amazing feat for BBT!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »
Guys, wasteland is talking about this so much and hyping me, it's unreal :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »
The Underfall Yard.  I'm not as impressed by the earlier two, although like I said I'm no expert on the band.

Probably the next best thing to do. Start current and work your way backwards, but do not forget the 40-minute EP Far Skies Deep Time, which features the same line-up as TUY and EE1, and of which there are 2 tracklists, the second one has a re-recording of an older BBT track titled "Kingmaker"!

-Marc.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
Ok wow, finally got around to hearing a few tracks of English Electric. Album just ordered.

Thanks for the public awareness on this.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »
Ok wow, finally got around to hearing a few tracks of English Electric. Album just ordered.

Thanks for the public awareness on this.  :tup

You're welcome! I'm surprised this band hasn't had a great following, but I can understand their slow-ascent into the public eye with Nick D'Virgilio being in the band for the last few years.

I've been listening to Far Skies Deep Time, a 40-minute EP with 5 tracks which are all spectacular. They later re-released the EP with a new opening track, "Kingmaker", a re-recording of an older tune from their early days. I've put that track in front of the rest of the original EP tracklist and it makes for an amazing 51 minute "album" made by the same line-up that did The Underfall Yard and would do English Electric.

For me, this band (so far, and at least with their last few releases) is like a modern-day Genesis...not in the sense that they're also British, or have a vocalist who sounds remarkably like Peter Gabriel (and who also happens to play flute), but their style and sense of arrangement is very Genesis-like. Their newer releases all sound like albums that Genesis COULD have made in their 5-man configuration had they stuck around through the 90's and 00's.

They also sound like Genesis without sounding like dated 80's Neo-Prog (like Fish-Era Marillion and early IQ). They have a fresh sound without trying to sound too much like Genesis or other older prog bands.

-Marc.

Offline jsem

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
English Electric is going to end up being one of my favorite albums of all time.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
English Electric is going to end up being one of my favorite albums of all time.

It is pretty good, although I'm trying not to bog myself down on it too much as I explore their back catalog. I've been really liking FSDP and TUY, as well as TDM and GS. I think I'll revisit EE1 in the coming days, but it's got me REALLY excited for Part 2 and their following release Station Masters.

-Marc.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »

It is pretty good, although I'm trying not to bog myself down on it too much as I explore their back catalog. I've been really liking FSDP and TUY, as well as TDM and GS. I think I'll revisit EE1 in the coming days, but it's got me REALLY excited for Part 2 and their following release Station Masters.

-Marc.
I knew about Part 2 but I haven't heard anything about Station Masters. Just looked it up and it appears to be a double disc of b-sides, outtakes, and re-worked old songs. Sounds great!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
Not a fan. Sorry.

Offline Rob

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 05:41:46 AM »
English Electric 1 is absolutely incredible, no doubt about that.  :metal

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 06:40:32 AM »
I've been discovering The Underfall Yard for the last week. Needless to say, it's another incredible album. How come these guys aren't as famous in the prog scene as many other great new bands like Haken are? :)
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
I've been discovering The Underfall Yard for the last week. Needless to say, it's another incredible album. How come these guys aren't as famous in the prog scene as many other great new bands like Haken are? :)

I guess that depends on who you ask, like for instance, I have NO IDEA who "Haken" are... I thought Haken was the maker of Jordan Rudess' Continuum keyboard? :lol

Anyways, TUY is a great album! It's right up there with EE1 and FSDT for me. It's unusual that I find a band's latest material to be their greatest, but it's true. Everything from TUY onward is just magic, but I also really love The Difference Machine and Gathering Speed, the two albums with Sean Filkins.

-Marc.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »

I guess that depends on who you ask, like for instance, I have NO IDEA who "Haken" are... I thought Haken was the maker of Jordan Rudess' Continuum keyboard? :lol

Anyways, TUY is a great album! It's right up there with EE1 and FSDT for me. It's unusual that I find a band's latest material to be their greatest, but it's true. Everything from TUY onward is just magic, but I also really love The Difference Machine and Gathering Speed, the two albums with Sean Filkins.

-Marc.

Yes, Haken isn't just a cool instrument, it's much, much more :)

Big2Trainwise, what does FSDT stand for? Whatever it is I havn't listened to it yet...
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »

-Marc.

Yes, Haken isn't just a cool instrument, it's much, much more :)

Big2Trainwise, what does FSDT stand for? Whatever it is I havn't listened to it yet...

FSDT is Far Skies Deep Time, an EP that was released after The Underfall Yard and has the same line-up as that album and English Electric. It's made up of 5 tracks, and runs about 40 minutes long, but if you do what I did and add the changed-first-track-for-2nd-release of the EP, and toss in "Kingmaker" at the beginning of it, it becomes an amazing 6-track album at over 50 minutes long!

-Marc.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
Just saw this on the band's Facebook. Release date March 4, 2013.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/262786_10151162476754397_1475273948_n.jpg

Edit: Can't get the picture to show up, so here's the link to the album cover.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 03:06:12 AM »
I'm giving English Electric Part One a first spin now, sounds really promising.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 03:12:15 AM »
Just saw this on the band's Facebook. Release date March 4, 2013.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/262786_10151162476754397_1475273948_n.jpg

Edit: Can't get the picture to show up, so here's the link to the album cover.

*excited*

Did you get to Judas already? If that does't hook you up you are not cut for this band, I'm afraid  :D
- Marco

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 03:13:43 AM »

Did you get to Judas already? If that does't hook you up you are not cut for this band, I'm afraid  :D

I'm on that very track right now, really digging it :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 03:28:34 AM »

I'm on that very track right now, really digging it :tup

Read the lyrics if you havn't yet! They are among the best I could ever imagine. It's not every day that a band is able to throw in stuff like "anachronism, x-rayed and Rembrandt" and making it sound epic as if we were listening to the The Fall Of Gondolin made song!  :)
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 02:29:54 AM »
https://bigbigtrain.com/main/shop/ee2

You can now pre-order English Electric (Part 2)!!!

-Marc.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 03:16:20 AM »
https://bigbigtrain.com/main/shop/ee2

You can now pre-order English Electric (Part 2)!!!

-Marc.

I'm doing this as soon as I get home! I can't possibly miss it!
- Marco

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:07 AM »
I've recently started spinning The Underfall Yard more and more frequently, and I can really say that the album is absolutely glorious, not at all inferior to EE1! The title track (....) and Victorian Brickwork are just brilliant composition, brilliant!

This band deserves more credit.
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »
I've recently started spinning The Underfall Yard more and more frequently, and I can really say that the album is absolutely glorious, not at all inferior to EE1! The title track (....) and Victorian Brickwork are just brilliant composition, brilliant!

This band deserves more credit.

My thoughts exactly, and their high marks (for last year's English Electric Part One) in the recently published DPRPoll for 2012 will undoubtedly bring the band to the attention to many proggers who have passed them by over the years, especially with said album having recently been released on vinyl and Part Two coming out in less than a month, it'll be a big year for BBT and its fans!

-Marc.

Offline Mr. Mustard

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
Man English Electric is so good, I mean like top 10 for me currently. Can't wait for EE2.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »
EE2 is now available to download or stream!! Just bought it and I'm going to listen to it soon!

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/