Poll

Which decade of music do you like better?

70s Led Zeppelin
25 (41%)
80s Rush
36 (59%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: November 09, 2012, 11:08:20 AM

Author Topic: Decade Battle #3: 70s Led Zeppelin vs. 80s Rush  (Read 2944 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Decade Battle #3: 70s Led Zeppelin vs. 80s Rush
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »
70s Led, easily.

70s Rush is much better than 80s Rush.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »
I can't belive that non-prog era Rush have won against classic Zep.

Why?

For one, two of LZ's best albums are from the 60's and thus are not a factor in this poll, and for two, this is not a prog snobbery forum, so it doesn't phase most that the majority of Rush's albums do fall under the stereotypical banner of what is called "prog."  Good music is good music, regardless of style or genre. :hat

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
70s Zep, easily.

Can't think of many bands that would beat that.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:44 PM »
Any Rush over any Led Zeppelin (as much as I love LZ).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 06:46:11 AM »
Rush of the 80s is slightly better, I also prefer that decade of theirs. I love Zeppelin of the 70s as well, though, but six of those Rush albums are 9/10 or above, while Zepp was dragged down by Physical graffiti and Presence - both good albums, but not good enough for comparison.

This was extremely tough, Kev, you paired two of my top 5 bands. Can't wait to see what are you gonna come up with next.  :smiley:

I'm a Rush fan, and Physical Graffiti towers over every album in the Rush catalogue with the possible exception of Hemispheres, and even that, I concede is just my preference.

I get it, these threads are all about "I like!" as opposed to anything objective or quantifiable, but some time in the future, this thread will be the example of the fanboy-ism of Rush fans.   There is no "Rush" or "Caress of Steel" in the Zeppelin catalogue.   And as good as Moving Pictures and Hemispheres are, there's no Zofo in the Rush  catalogue.   My 16-year old went to a dance about a year ago and the final song was "Stairway to Heaven".   There was no dancing to Rush songs in that dance.  I think even Alex and Geddy would concede that there was a Zeppelin without Rush, but there would  be no Rush without Zeppelin. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
There is no "Rush" or "Caress of Steel" in the Zeppelin catalogue.   

Coda would like a word with you.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »
I get it, these threads are all about "I like!" as opposed to anything objective or quantifiable, but some time in the future, this thread will be the example of the fanboy-ism of Rush fans.   There is no "Rush" or "Caress of Steel" in the Zeppelin catalogue.

Well...a decent argument could be made that "Rush" is a Led Zeppelin album, so I disagree with that.  As far as Zeppelin having no Caress of Steel, I would compare it favorably to Presence.  Presence features what is, in my opinion, Zeppelin's best song (Achilles), but the rest of the album just goes through the motions.  Nothing on Caress is as good as Achilles, but it's overall a far stronger album.

And as good as Moving Pictures and Hemispheres are, there's no Zofo in the Rush  catalogue.

Well...it's certainly true neither Rush nor almost any other band has an album that sold as many copies as ZOSO, but these polls aren't about raw sales figures (and keep in mind that sales of "Jagged Little Pill" and the soundtrack from "Grease" are in the same range as those of ZOSO, so....).  I could listen to Hemispheres and/or Moving Pictures on a loop for the rest of my life.  As good ZOSO is, I have to be in the right mood to listen all the way through.

My 16-year old went to a dance about a year ago and the final song was "Stairway to Heaven".   There was no dancing to Rush songs in that dance.

I remember the glory days of dancing to Jacob's Ladder and the marathon sessions of dancing to side 1 of 2112 (my moves during the Presentation guitar solo were legendary).  Seriously, though, I don't think anyone really considered danceability in responding to this poll, and the there's no debate that Stairway is a more culturally significant song than any Rush song.

I think even Alex and Geddy would concede that there was a Zeppelin without Rush, but there would  be no Rush without Zeppelin.

Probably so, but does that then mean that, in a poll that pitted Zeppelin against Spirit or Jake Holmes (or any of the myriad Blues artists Zeppelin plagarized), only Zeppelin "fanboys" would choose Zeppelin?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 12:03:35 PM »
I respect your opinion, but I think you missed the forest for The Trees (pun oh so gloriously intended!).  I don't LITERALLY mean "dancing"; for all the women at a typical Rush concert, your admission doesn't surprise me one bit (I'm kidding with you).   I was meaning to get the point across that Zeppelin has a transcendent aspect to it that Rush doesn't have.  They just don't.   They are literally the largest cult band in the history of rock.   That's a complement; I'm not bagging on Rush; I love them.  I really do. Have every SONG ever put out by them officially, and have seen them more than all but I think three bands.   Peart is on my Mt. Rushmore (pun also intended) of drummers (Bonham, Collins, and Portnoy are there too).  "Hemispheres" is one of my five top albums of all time by any band (as I noted, Physical Graffiti is the only Zep album that makes the top ten).  And I am not at all second-guessing anyone's right to like Rush more.   But as much as I love, say, Cheap Trick, or Oasis, I'm not going to pretend they are somehow BETTER than the Beatles.  That would be ludicrous.   Just that I would like to listen to "Heaven Tonight" over "With The Beatles" every day of the week. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
I was meaning to get the point across that Zeppelin has a transcendent aspect to it that Rush doesn't have.  They just don't.

Concur.

I am not at all second-guessing anyone's right to like Rush more.   But as much as I love, say, Cheap Trick, or Oasis, I'm not going to pretend they are somehow BETTER than the Beatles.  That would be ludicrous.   Just that I would like to listen to "Heaven Tonight" over "With The Beatles" every day of the week. 

Well...the poll asked which band "do you like better," and that's nothing more than a subjective preference, and I don't think it's terribly surprising that the denizens of this forum subjectively prefer Rush.  If you were to ask which band "is better," then I'd respond by asking, "what does 'better' mean?" or "better in what way?"  However you answer those questions, it's still going to be subjective unless you ask about things that are quantifiable like album sales (or things like cultural impact which, while not quantifiable, is not reasonably debatable in this case).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »

Well...the poll asked which band "do you like better," and that's nothing more than a subjective preference, and I don't think it's terribly surprising that the denizens of this forum subjectively prefer Rush.  If you were to ask which band "is better," then I'd respond by asking, "what does 'better' mean?" or "better in what way?"  However you answer those questions, it's still going to be subjective unless you ask about things that are quantifiable like album sales (or things like cultural impact which, while not quantifiable, is not reasonably debatable in this case).

You are right.  No argument.