Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The End  (Read 30589 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Into The Top 20
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
Can't really say I like Katatonia.  When they were playing with Devin Townsend I just wanted them to get off the stage so Devy could get on.  It seemed like every song started off heavy as fuck, then transitioned into the singer singing in the same pattern/range the entire time, going back to the heavy music, and then the singer doing the same thing again, and again.

Hella sweet album cover though  :biggrin:

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give them another chance, so maybe I'll pop them on at work tonight.

Katatonia does follow the heavy chorus / calm verse / repeat structure quite a lot. Personally I think that actually works pretty damn well in a live setting.
I'd definitely recommend checking out Dead End Kings. It's so much better than the rest of their albums.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Into The Top 20
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »
Can't really say I like Katatonia.  When they were playing with Devin Townsend I just wanted them to get off the stage so Devy could get on.  It seemed like every song started off heavy as fuck, then transitioned into the singer singing in the same pattern/range the entire time, going back to the heavy music, and then the singer doing the same thing again, and again.

Hella sweet album cover though  :biggrin:

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give them another chance, so maybe I'll pop them on at work tonight.
I do like Dead End Kings but I didn't really enjoy seeing them live. Luckily, they were the last band of the night so I didn't have to wait for them to finish before I saw Devin.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Fables Of The Way Of All Flesh
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
#18: Unexpect - Fables Of The Sleepless Empire (2011)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Unsolved Ideas Of A Distorted Guest (2) Words (3) Orange Vigilantes (4) Mechanical Phoenix (5) The Quantum Symphony
(6) Unfed Pendulum (7) In The Mind Of The Last Whale (8) Silence This Parasite (9) A Fading Stance
(10) When The Joyful Dead Are Dancing (11) Until Yet A Few More Deaths Do Us Part

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Unexpect, to sum them up in seven words would be something like “What the hell am I listening to”. They’re one of the craziest, weirdest, most insane-sounding bands out there, and they’re freaking amazing. This is their most recent album, and while it’s still crazy as hell, it’s not quite as ridiculous as their previous record, In A Flesh Aquarium. It’s more “controlled madness” as opposed to “sheer insanity”. Therefore, if you’re new to the band I definitely recommend checking out this record first. Songs like Unsolved Ideas Of A Distorted Guest and Words are quite accessible for the band while still being incredibly avant-garde, and the same could be said for most of the other songs on the album. There seems to be more of a focus on the female vocals and violin than on the previous record, and the album sounds quite bright and majestic, as opposed to the very dark and disturbing In A Flesh Aquarium. (We’ll get more in-depth about that album sometime later…) Other great songs are The Quantum Symphony, Unfed Pendulum, and the final three tracks that form the excellent suite Until Yet A Few More Deaths Do Us Part. There’s a lot to love on this album, as long as you aren’t turned off by something more on the strange side.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Unsolved Ideas Of A Distorted Guest, Words, The Quantum Symphony, Unfed Pendulum, Until Yet A Few More Deaths Do Us Part (the final three tracks)

#17: Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh (2008)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Oroborus (2) Toxic Garbage Island (3) A Sight To Behold (4) Yama's Messengers (5) The Silver Chord (6) All The Tears
(7) Adoration For None (8) The Art Of Dying (9) Esoteric Surgery (10) Vacuity (11) Wolf Down The Earth
(12) The Way Of All Flesh

Gojira, simply put, is everything that’s good about metal. With their face smashing but incredibly creative guitar work, amazing drumming, awesome vocals and fantastic composition skills, they’re hands-down one of the greatest bands in the genre. The Way Of All Flesh contains all of these good elements, and is my personal favorite of their albums. Once again, what makes this album shine is its songs. There are barely any weak tracks, you’ve got some of their best songs, and there’s enough variety to hold your interest from start to finish. Toxic Garbage Island is insanely heavy and features some guitar work that only Gojira could pull off, and A Sight To Behold introduces some electronic elements to their usual sound, like synth-focused verses and a vocal filter that makes Joe sound like some kind of pissed off alien robot. The real standout tracks are the more epic and progressive songs. The Art Of Dying goes on for almost ten minutes and has several epic-sounding segments that give me goosebumps every time I hear them, and the title track The Way Of All Flesh closes off the album on a strong note. (Minus the fact that it has one of those “hidden” songs tacked onto the end that makes the song appear three times longer than it actually is.) There’s not much else to saw about this record other than it truly is one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Toxic Garbage Island, A Sight To Behold, The Art Of Dying, The Way Of All Flesh
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
I don't know if it's my favorite Gojira album, but it has one of the coolest metal productions I've ever heard. I once read they mixed ages on this. And it has the one-two punch of 'Oroborus' tap-groove and 'Toxic's insane breakneck opening.

Reminds me of going to a gathering at the city hall to demonstrate against the closing of a music venue. When I entered out of the parking garage they were blasting 'Toxic Garbage Island' over a ridiculously powerful soundsystem in front of their doors to piss them off. Amazing. Play this album loud folks.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
Yeah, the production is absolutely fantastic.
From Mars To Sirius sounds really awesome too, but in a completely different way. It's sound is freaking COLOSSAL.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
Fuck yes Fables. :metal Also, ( ) earlier. :tup The second half of Untitled 8 is probably the only section of all Sigur Ros' music I'd call angry.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »
Cool choices. Never really got into Unexpect, but Gojira is cool.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The Grand Combustion
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
#16: Opeth - Ghost Reveries (2005)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Ghost Of Perdition (2) The Baying Of The Hounds (3) Beneath The Mire (4) Atonement (5) Reverie / Harlequin Forest
(6) Hours Of Wealth (7) The Grand Conjuration (8) Isolation Years

What is there to say about Opeth? Everyone here knows and loves them. Not only is this album one of their greatest, but it was also a pretty big turning point for the bad. It was the last album to feature Martin Lopez and Peter Lindgren, the first to feature a full-time keyboardist, and showcased a more progressive style that showed that the band was starting to distance itself from its death metal elements. While there are still plenty of Mikael’s harsh growls, the extra clean sections, proggier riffs, and abundance of keyboards made the record sound very new for the band. If for some strange reason you’re reading this and have never checked out Opeth, this would definitely be a great place to start, especially if you aren’t much of a metalhead. My only real complaint with this album is that while it starts out perfect with amazing songs like Ghost Of Perdition and The Baying Of The Hounds, it definitely loses some of its momentum and its flow towards the end. Still, the latter half has some fantastic tracks like the progressive Reverie / Harlequin Forest and the sad, beautiful closer Isolation Years. I’m sure pretty much everyone here already has this album, but if you don’t, something is seriously wrong with you.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Ghost Of Perdition, The Baying Of The Hounds, Beneath The Mire, Reverie / Harlequin Forest

#15: Meshuggah - obZen (2008)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Combustion (2) Electric Red (3) Bleed (4) Lethargica (5) obZen (6) This Spiteful Snake (7) Pineal Gland Optics
(8) Pravus (9) Dancers To A Discordant System

Meshuggah’s back, and they’re here to kick your ass. obZen, the band’s best album, is a nonstop barrage of brutality that will assault your ears as you beg for more. Like Koloss, this record is everything that Meshuggah does great rolled into one. You’ve got fast, heavy as hell tracks like the opener Combustion and the infamously difficult to play Bleed, as well as slower, groovier songs like the fantastic Lethargica. All the performances on this album are absolutely flawless, with the precision and coordination of a machine. An extremely pissed-off machine. The songs are all great, with barely any forgettable tracks and some of their best songs like the title track obZen and the epic closer Dancers To A Discordant System, which sounds King Crimson if they were a Swedish extreme metal band playing during the apocalypse. This album is technical metal at its finest, and it’s hard to see Meshuggah ever top it in the future.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Combustion, Lethargica, obZen, Dancers To A Discordant System

Offline Mladen

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »
Ghost reveries is a good album, although not one of my favorite Opeth releases. I also don't think it is a good starting point for non-metalheads, as I consider it pretty heavy. Watershed, on the other hand, might have a better balance between their metal and prog elements.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
Ghost reveries is a good album, although not one of my favorite Opeth releases. I also don't think it is a good starting point for non-metalheads, as I consider it pretty heavy. Watershed, on the other hand, might have a better balance between their metal and prog elements.
Watershed is a very underrated album and has a good metal / prog balance, but Ghost Reveries is a much better representative for Opeth's whole discography than Watershed is, imo.

Offline adace

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
Two fantastic albums  :tup

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
I never could get into opeth. I have no clue why, they just never clicked for me. I've tried to check them out multiple times, but it never worked.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »
 :2metal: Ghost Reveries :2metal:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The Steven Wilson Drinking Game
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
#14: Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (2005)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Deadwing (2) Shallow (3) Lazarus (4) Halo (5) Arriving Somewhere But Not Here (6) Mellotron Scratch (7) Open Car
(8) The Start Of Something Beautiful (9) Glass Arm Shattering

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Mellotron Scratch, The Start Of Something Beautiful, Glass Arm Shattering

Deadwing is one of the most popular and acclaimed albums on these forums, and with great reasons. It’s amazingly consistent, has a great atmosphere, and contains all the elements of a perfect Porcupine Tree record. But hey, don’t take my word for it, lots of other people have included this album in their top 50 albums list, often pretty high on it. So instead of repeating the same stuff that you’ve probably already heard many times before, I’ll bring something new to the table.

*drum roll*

INTRODUCING, THE STEVEN WILSON DRINKING GAME!

[WARNING:] MAY CAUSE A TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL AND/OR DEATH IF PLAYED WHILE LISTENING TO THE DEADWING ALBUM.

---RULES---
Gather some friends, bring lots of alcohol, and line up the shots. Put on a Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson album (no mp3s allowed!) from start to finish.

1: Whenever a mellotron comes in, take a shot. It doesn’t matter what kind of mellotron it is, as long as it is, indeed, a mellotron.

2: Whenever trains are mentioned in the lyrics or song title, or whenever train sound effects are used, take a shot.

3: Whenever Steven Wilson layers his voice to create his unique vocal harmony effect, take a shot. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, it’s used in pretty much every Porcupine Tree song, especially in choruses.

4: Whenever Steven Wilson uses any of these four chords, take a shot.
   - Asus4
   - Dm9
   - Em7/C
   - Bb7sus4/F
These four chords are used (in order) during the chorus to The Sound Of Muzak and the vocal section of .3, as an example. If you keep an ear out, Steven Wilson spams the everloving shit out of these four chords, especially in choruses.
IMPORTANT: If multiple chords are used in the same riff/progression, you must take a shot for each one. If the riff/progression loops, you only need to take a shot the FIRST time the chords are used. However, if the riff/progression goes away then comes back again later, you have to take the shots again.

Have fun, and enjoy murdering your liver to Steven Wilson’s amazing music!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:20:47 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
Very good album. Possibly my fave from PT. ASBNH is choice :tup Of course, it's hard for a song with Mike Akerfeldt's involvement to not have a leg up on the rest when you're juding with my taste in music.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
5th favourite from PT. Here's me hoping you'll include at least my top 3, which I know isn't happening. Also, I've had enough beer already, so I'm not doing the SW drinking game.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
Very good album. Possibly my fave from PT.

From my brain to floydie's typing fingers.  Well done. :biggrin:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »
Word. Although, I must say that IA or FoaBP could also contend strongly. The weird thing for me and PT albums is that I've been so thoroughly turned off by their softest ballads that my level of dislike for them is actually a bigger factor in which PT albums I enjoy most than the level of love I have for the remaining songs. That's not even spite-driven toward those ballads but just a matter of how my level of enjoyment for the rest of their songs (those ranging from "regular ballads" such as Trains to full-on rockers such as Blackest Eyes) can be somewhat compromised by the interruption of the album's flow every time I have to skip through the songs I classify as snoozers.

And before the beyond-worn-out meathead metalhead versus sappy prog fan cliched can of worms is opened for the millionth time on DTF, I didn't just take a vow to not like softer songs when I became a teenage metalhead several years ago. I've never liked ultra-soft ballads at any point in my life unless they brought something to the table that could appeal to me enough to make look past the possibly-mundane vibe.

For instance, on GR, we have Hours of Wealth and Isolation Years which are about as soft as Opeth have ever gotten but there's a fragile beauty in them that's both comforting and delightful to my ears. Also, AiC's Whale and Wasp has a nearly-tearjerking vibe to it especially when the song shifts into that new section toward the end.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
I'm with you on Fear, for sure.  IA?  Eh, besides Blackest Eyes, The Sound of Muzak, and Strip The Soul I just do not see why IA is held in so much higher regard than Deadwing.  Deadwing absolutely SLAYS IA IMO.

Your mileage may vary. :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
Porcupine Tree does soft ballads better than pretty much any other musical artist ever, imo...

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
Not disagreeing with ya, Buddy. :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2012, 08:12:12 AM »
Awesome album is awesome.  :metal

And that game sounds so amazing, it might actually help me start drinking.  :lol

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »
Epic album!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
And that game sounds so amazing, it might actually help me start drinking.  :lol

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
cool list.
checked out pendulum for the fuck of it. expected that it wouldnt be up my alley. and maybe it isnt. but it IS a place in my neighborhood that i dont mind taking a stroll through. its even kinda  :metal

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »
Dat picture... :rollin

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Learn To Swim
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
#13: Tool - Ænima (1996)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Stinkfist (2) Eulogy (3) H. (4) Useful Idiot (5) Forty Six & 2 (6) Message To Harry Manback (7) Hooker With A Penis
(8) Intermission (9) jimmy (10) Die Eier Von Satan (11) Pushit (12) Cesaro Summability (13) Ænima
(14) (-) Ions (15) Third Eye

Part grunge, part prog, part alternative, part metal, and always experimental, Tool has a sound all their own. Not only was this record such a step-up from their first album, it was something completely new and amazing. Everyone’s performances on this album are flawless. Maynard’s wide range of vocal styles are all fantastic and accommodate every musical mood the band creates. Adam Jones’s guitar tone sounds almost alien at times, and he uses all of his effects creatively. Danny Carey is quite simply one of the greatest drummers alive, and Justin Chancellor’s bass is more noticeable than the guitar at times. This truly is a unique-sounding record, and it has some great songs too. The opener Stinkfist mixes sludgy, groovy riffs with a thick and unsettling atmosphere. (Don’t click that link if you don’t like watching strange and disturbing music videos…) The follow-up song, Eulogy, starts out slow and calm then transitions into a faster, more energetic second half. The title track, Ænima, is a heavy rocker about Los Angeles sinking into the ocean, and has a great anger-filled energy that’s sure to get you pumped up. The album closes with Third Eye, a sprawling, psychedelic voyage inspired by LSD trips. If there’s one complaint I have with this album, it’s that the segue tracks get a bit annoying after a while. They don’t really transition the songs, making them mostly pointless filler, and there’s far too many of them. (Though Die Eier Von Satan is one of the most hilarious things ever.) If you’re one of the unfortunate people who haven’t given this album a listen, pick it up as soon as you can. It’s a one-of-a-kind experience you won’t soon forget.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Stinkfist, Eulogy, Ænima, Third Eye

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »
my bud mentioned yesterday how Aenima/Lateralus/10KDays would be his top 3 albums ever if it weren't for the segues. and i think he was exaggerating less than normal.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2012, 01:11:23 AM »
Ænima was my favorite album my senior year in high school, which is when it came out.

Also, most people consider Ænima to be their third album, with Opiate being first and Undertow second.

You're going to die of cancer, I promise.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:29 AM »
Fantastic album. Far and away my fave from Tool. There was an atmosphere created on this album that they've yet to top and I used to listen to this album like every day, especially because I'd borrowed it from my cousin, didn't know how long it'd be before he'd want it back, and this was back in '96 when no one had access to burners or could rip CDs unless you had really good (and rare for that time) tech connections. I guess a CD/Cassette player's dubbing feature could've worked but by that point in time cassettes were starting to feel like an antiquated pain in the ass.

Back to the story, I remember fall had just started when Stinkfist hit the radio and the colder, dreary days were such a perfect complement to the unsettlingly bleak vibe which was so prevalent throughout the album. I remember once H came out, I hauled ass to Blockbuster Music and got Ænima and Undertow. After a couple listens, I was floored by Eulogy. As my only in-depth exposure to rock as of that point in time had been grunge, a song of Eulogy's caliber hit me probably as hard as 2112 hit rockers who were old enough to legitimately appreciate music in 1976. The duck-core CB squawks of Adam Jones' guitar laying on top of the ominous vibe established by Danny Carey's eclectic percussion created such a captivating buildup and when things like the first chorus, the middle section at 5:24 when the swift beat kicks in, and "GOOD BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" hit my eardrums for the first time, I was in awe that music could make such an impression on me.

A masterpiece if ever one was written.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »
Has my all-time favorite Tool song, Forty-Six & 2. :letam: :2metal: :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2012, 03:03:28 AM »
You're forgetting 'Pushit'. That song litteraly floored me when I heard it first. Yeah, this one is definetely in my top 10 list of greates rock records EVER.   :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2012, 03:05:52 AM »
LOVE the Bill Hicks sample they used too.