Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The End  (Read 30599 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.SO HEAVY SOUND, YAAAH
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
Lower half of their albums for me. But I don't dislike it like I used to.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
The thread-title made me hope this was Awake

Nah, people actually like that album. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »
The thread-title made me hope this was Awake

Nah, people actually like that album. :P

Including me, top 10 album of all time.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »
I like it overall but This Dying Soul and Honor Thy Father are the only two that don't disappoint me in some way.

As I Am is fun to listen to but isn't nearly heavy enough to get by on heaviness alone since it seems to be lined up as the album's de facto asskicker given its simplicity coupled with the fact that it's track 1 on their "heavy" album.

This Dying Soul is just awesome. JP's intro solo gets off, the verse is an unexpected shift into a dark/mellow vibe, and the song is a labyrinth of exciting moments and unexpected twists. Sure, it may get a little nutty in the final third or so but the final minute is just sheer insanity.

Endless Sacrifice is kinda good in the first half but really drags on for me. The real excitement lies in the instrumental section though I know everyone will disagree with me.

Honor Thy Father is just fantastic. Explosive intro with unrelenting energy and groove (DT has always benefitted from adding groove) as well as a chorus that was far more instrumentally interesting than most of theirs in the years leading up to ToT. The instrumental section was excellently built up as well.

Vacant is JLB at his absolute worst as far as my taste for his vocals go. Basically it reached uncomfortably effeminate levels and the delivery almost came off as a whiny dude hitting on me.

Stream of Consciousness is up and down for me. Most of it's pretty good but the middle groove miserably destroys the vibe for me right down to the forced segue back into SoC's main anthem.

In The Name of God never did anything for me except for the chorus and even that doesn't hold up anymore. I guess the middle section with all the unison stuff slightly grew on me over time but not a whole lot. It's probably in my DT bottom 25.

When I first heard the album, it threw me for a loop since I wasn't expecting an album that was almost entirely heavy material. As I made it all the way through, I kept on hoping to hear some stuff reminiscent of I&W, Awake, or SFAM. Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by it and it took a month or two to grow on me though I did generally like it at least a little.

I think I was just bummed out that it really came off as nu metal with shred. I just couldn't fathom how DT could so badly miss the mark for what their fanbase wanted as far as heavy goes. I used to listen to nu metal for a couple years and so did many of their fans but, for most of us, it's not really something we still like and I think they'd have been far better served by making each track a prog-infused take on a different genre of "extreme metal" (I hate that umbrella term too, so sorry for using it) with JLB's clean vocals. It'd be awesome to hear DT take a stab at black, death, technical, and power (I know it ain't considered extreme, but I'm just throwing it in there for variety.) Shit, they basically were doing technical with The Dance of Eternity anyway and that song is fairly well regarded.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »
It made my top 50. Great album.  I know plenty of people here that agree.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:05:46 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:55 PM »
I think I was just bummed out that it really came off as nu metal with shred. I just couldn't fathom how DT could so badly miss the mark for what their fanbase wanted as far as heavy goes. I used to listen to nu metal for a couple years and so did many of their fans but, for most of us, it's not really something we still like and I think they'd have been far better served by making each track a prog-infused take on a different genre of "extreme metal" (I hate that umbrella term too, so sorry for using it) with JLB's clean vocals. It'd be awesome to hear DT take a stab at black, death, technical, and power (I know it ain't considered extreme, but I'm just throwing it in there for variety.) Shit, they basically were doing technical with The Dance of Eternity anyway and that song is fairly well regarded.

...Nu metal? I have never even thought of associating that genre with Train Of Thought. The only parts that even come close to that style would be like, twenty or so seconds in This Dying Soul and Honor Thy Father.
As I explained in my write-up, I've always thought of the album as progressive metal cranked up to completely over-the-top levels.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

• DT.net Member
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
Not quite. ToT would've been fairly heavy if it had come out in the mid 90s but it was barely average heaviness when compared to the full spectrum of metal styles that were around in 2003. Endless Sacrifice's chorus has a very  Sevendust-ish sound as well with the way the harmonic cuts right into the riff. HtF's intro is straight System of a Down too. It's been a while since I listened to ToT but I remember listening to it all the way through with a friend after it had just been released and he and I picked out several clear similarities to nu metal bands.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:57 AM »
Not even a top 4 Dream Theater album.  I was going to count how many albums I own that I like more than ToT, but I was at 81 after going through bands/artists that start with A or B and decided that estimating not in my top 500 was fair enough  :lol

I don't dislike ToT, it just really doesn't stack up well against most of my library.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2012, 02:24:40 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is a MUCH better song live, but it's still the weakest link on ToT.  Killer album though.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2012, 04:57:22 AM »
I love ToT, but both TDS and HTF are not among my favourite DT songs, sadly.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
Vacant. While it’s just an okay song on its own, its place in the album is absolutely perfect. If it were cut from the album, the whole thing would have collapsed under its own weight.
Great point. The song itself isn't one of my favorites, but whenever I play the entire album, I massively enjoy it. A nice write up as well, and a cool pick.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
In the Name of God is my favourite pure wankery section of theirs.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:12:21 AM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2012, 12:07:33 AM »
Like in a good way or a bad way?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »
I accidentally a word. Fixed. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »
This Dying Soul is the most hilarious song they have ever done, in a bad way.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2012, 04:16:29 AM »
This Dying Soul is the most hilarious song they have ever done, in a bad way.

Even more than BMU,BMD?  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
There's nothing funny about BMUBMD I think, it's just a good hard rocking song. This Dying Soul however, I think suffers from that ending that feels completely out of place and comes across as complete instrumental wankering for no reason at all. I don't think it really fits the song and even if it would have, musically it's uninteresting to listen to as well. But that's just me.
Squ

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2012, 04:39:34 AM »
This is shockingly surprising place.

I mean, having ToT in top 5 album of all the time is one thing but the favourite ones you choose and love are absolutely... uhmm strange.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
I approve of this. ToT is the last DT album which I loved from the first second til the last one, with just several minutes I found off. A really great album.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »
There's nothing funny about BMUBMD I think, it's just a good hard rocking song. This Dying Soul however, I think suffers from that ending that feels completely out of place and comes across as complete instrumental wankering for no reason at all. I don't think it really fits the song and even if it would have, musically it's uninteresting to listen to as well. But that's just me.

I understand where you're coming from, but I've always enjoyed TDS. Hell, it used to even be one of my favorite songs by DT before I became more familiar with the rest of their material. I'm just a BMUBMD hater though, don't mind me.  :lol I think the chorus is catchy and enjoyable but the rest of the song just sounds like a sloppy nu-metal like mess to me.

Offline Onno

« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
I don't have that same problem with TDS, the ending is pretty cool IMO. But the parts I find uninteresting are the rapping parts, and the parts where JLB almost sounds like Dave Mustaine.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2012, 10:32:35 AM »
Loving the discussion, guys. :)

#3 will be up tonight. It'll gain me back some credibility before I lose it all once again with #1. :P

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
Loving the discussion, guys. :)

#3 will be up tonight. It'll gain me back some credibility before I lose it all once again with #1. :P

It's been a fun list to follow  :) I'm looking forward to seeing the top 3.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.DEADLY. BADGERS.
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
#3: Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) The Leper Affinity (2) Bleak (3) Harvest (4) The Drapery Falls (5) Dirge For November (6) The Funeral Portrait
(7) Patterns In The Ivy (8) Blackwater Park

Oh hey, Blackwater Park is on another top albums list. I bet you’re all surprised. Unlike some of my other picks, this record is almost universally regarded on these forums to be pretty damn awesome, so I’ll keep this relatively quick. Simply put, this is Opeth at their finest. Every element they do right is done better on this album than the rest of their discography. The contrast between the heavy bits and the softer bits is perfect, it has that distinct, wintery atmosphere, and most importantly, the songs are all great. What really makes this album special to me, however, is just the sheer power it has. While it might not be their heaviest record, it definitely feels like the “biggest” and most energetic. It’s hard to put into words, but once you hear the sheer force and driving power behind songs like the amazing Bleak, you should know what I mean. From the crushing intro of The Leper Affinity to the bombastic finale of the title track, this album is an amazing ride throughout. Speaking of the title track… Oh God. My top three albums contain my three favorite songs of all time, and Blackwater Park stands loftily at number two. I love that song so much you don’t even know. It starts out with a fantastic, heavy intro that pumps you up and prepares you for the sheer greatness that’s to come. Then, it suddenly retreats into a quiet, ambient section out of nowhere. Now, I fucking LOVE when a quiet section suddenly breaks into a bombastic, heavy section out of nowhere, and oh man, this section completely EXPLODES into it. The quiet part of the song makes the rest of the song seem even heavier than it already is, and once said transition is complete, it’s a nonstop barrage of sheer, orgasmic brutality that builds and builds into the absolutely stunning finale. Amazing song, amazing album, completely worthy of all the praise it gets.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
The Leper Affinity, Bleak, The Funeral Portrait, Blackwater Park

• DT.net Member
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
Terrible album. No longer following.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »

:lol
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #201 on: December 16, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »
My first Opeth album, and still one of my favourites. :tup Bleak may be one of the best songs that Opeth have ever written.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #202 on: December 16, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
:floydapproves:
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »

NOOOOOOOOO! This was supposed to make people love me again!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #204 on: December 16, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »

:slowclap:

:jets:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
Despite the fact I can't make it through a full Opeth album in one sitting, great album. The title track is one of the best songs ever.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #206 on: December 16, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
Such a odd top-33 list.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Onno

« Reply #207 on: December 17, 2012, 12:25:14 AM »
Fantastic, my favourite Opeth album!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #208 on: December 17, 2012, 12:37:44 AM »
Make it your avatar then, sissy!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2012, 02:27:06 AM »
Such a odd top-33 list.

No, it's not. There's no set standard for top 50 lists, because it's all based on taste. You disagreeing with it doesn't make it an 'odd list', especially considering there's many people on this board that listen to different music than others. The only 'odd' thing about this list, I think, is that it only has 33 albums, instead of the standard 50.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:07:36 AM by Elite »
Squ