Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The End  (Read 30597 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Learn To Swim
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »
This list is pretty cool.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2012, 03:18:09 AM »
I've been following your list for a while, and I dig your writeups. Also, I know you get this a lot, but your avatar is fucking amazing, every time it gets to "is that a mellotron riding a train?" I completely lose it :laugh:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2012, 04:56:51 AM »
Buddy's avatar is :hefdaddy

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:58 AM »
Also, most people consider Ænima to be their third album, with Opiate being first and Undertow second.

Opiate is an EP. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2012, 09:40:01 PM »
I think he knew that. I agree with his stance, though, that most longtime Tool fans lean more toward counting Opiate as their debut rather than Undertow because songs like Jerkoff, Opiate, and Cold and Ugly are pretty well known for most of their fans I've encountered over the years so it's not like how some bands who released an EP before an LP have the EP as some obscure, somewhat forgotten chapter of their discography.

Mastodon's Lifesblood (yes, "Lifesblood", before any Mastonewbs try to erroneously correct me on this by saying "Ya mean 'Call of the Mastodon'?") is a good example of the forgotten EP since even back when Leviathan was "that new Mastodon album", most of their fans would've been hard-pressed to name more than 2 or 3 tracks from it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Ayreon? Nope...
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
#12: Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day (2009)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Twisted Coil (2) Leland Street (3) Green And Cream (4) Season Of Denial (5) Over (6) Perfection?

…And now for the most controversial pick on my list. Arjen Lucassen is mostly known as the man behind the Ayreon project, but he’s also done a few side-projects over the years, like Star One and his recent solo record. Honestly, I’m not a fan of any of these projects, including Ayreon. They just aren’t really my thing. And then there’s this album. I absolutely love it, and for whatever reason, I seem to be pretty much the only one that does. So, how would one describe the sound of this record? Well, it definitely does share a lot of similarities with Ayreon, so let’s use that as our starting slate. First, get rid of the whole rock opera thing with all the characters and plot. Throw out all the cheesy lyrics about aliens and science fiction and replace it with personal, poetic lyrics about guilt, depression, and other somber but relatable subjects. Arjen stepped down from writing the lyrics and had the guitarist do them all, and she did an absolutely amazing job. Secondly, remove all the guest vocalists and replace them all with just one guy. While the whole cast of vocalists on the Ayreon albums is one if its defining features, it’s mostly just a gimmick to me. The vocalist for this record is fantastic, and has such a wide range that fits every mood the album has to offer, making multiple vocalists unnecessary. Last but certainly not least, the composition on this record feels much more polished and mature than on the Ayreon albums. It’s more somber, flows much better, has much more texture and fullness to it, and all the songs cover a lot of ground without ever feeling bloated. There are only six songs on the album, with four of them over ten minutes, and with the exception of the fifth track, they’re all great. The opener Twisted Coil starts with a quiet, building into that explodes into a bombastic heavy section after several minutes. Leland Street alternates between ambient and energetic, Season Of Denial is bleak, somber, and progressive, and the closer, Perfection?, spins the whole mood of the album around and ends with an optimistic note that no matter how dark your past is, the future can always be bright. Fans of Arjen Lucassen’s work always seem to rank this album among his very lowest, but if you ask me, it’s a masterpiece. Perhaps it’s not for everyone. But it’s my personal opinion that not only does it blow all the Ayreon albums out of the water, it’s one of the best records out there.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Twisted Coil, Leland Street, Season Of Denial, Perfection?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2012, 05:15:38 AM »
I'm curious... was this the first Arjen album you heard?  Regardless, it is a good album.  There isn't anything of Arjen's that I don't love.  I think the reason I probably don't come back to this one though is for all the reasons you listed that it's great.  What I love and want most out of Arjen's work is everything you listed about what you don't like about Ayreon.  I love the story's, love the vocalists and the diversity they bring.  Sure, lyrics get a little stinky sometimes (I'm looking directly at you, Connect The Dots), but I can deal with that.  So, relatively speaking, being such a divergence from all of that is probably the reason Arjen/Ayreon fans rank it low.  I'd put this above a couple of Ayreon works, and I probably like it better than Ambeon (but it's a totally different style).  For me, it's probably on par with his solo release from the summer.

None-the-less, I think I'll go back to this and listen to it through your ears.  Really nice writeup.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »
That makes sense.
Still, I think the music itself on this album really shines through on this album. It sounds more... mature and developed, imo.
It also helps that the record only has six songs and isn't like, an hour and a half long.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.They're back! Already!
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »
#11: Tool - Lateralus (2001)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) The Grudge (2) Eon Blue Apocalypse (3) The Patient (4) Mantra (5) Schism (6) Parabol (7) Parabola (8) Ticks & Leeches
(9) Lateralus (10) Disposition (11) Reflection (12) Triad (13) Faaip De Oaid

Tool again? Already? Yes, not only did Tool manage to reach the brilliance of Ænima once, but they were able to do it again five years later with their follow-up album. The two records are VERY close together in terms of quality (hence why they are so close on the list), but I personally like this one just a tiny bit more. There are several improvements made to this album that put it over the edge. The segue tracks are almost all gone, and the very few that remain actually do their job of transitioning into the next song perfectly. Maynard’s voice has gotten even more powerful, with powerful screaming on the intro track The Grudge, and the song Ticks & Leeches (which also features Danny Carey’s most amazing drum work to date.) Most importantly, the quality of the songs on this album is more consistent, and features some of their greatest songs like the dark but mostly calm Schism, the two-parter Parabola that starts out quiet and ambient then suddenly explodes into an amazingly powerful heavy riff, and the title track Lateralus, which might be their best song ever. The record also has more dynamics, better flow, and an overall calmer and less-trippy atmosphere. You can’t go wrong with either Ænima or Lateralus, they’re both amazing experiences. That said, this record is just barely superior to me, and is a great final album before we enter my top ten.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
The Grudge, Schism, Parabola (both parts), Lateralus

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
Never could get in to Tool.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline adace

« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
Gotta disagree with you two gents. Lateralus is a brilliant album, one of my all-time favorites.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2012, 07:24:09 AM »
Tool's best for sure, it just missed out on my top 50 when I did mine, but it will show up in a top 100. Great album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »
Lateralus is so amazing.

Offline Jiangsu

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
I love Tool, and am in firm agreement that Lateralus is their best.  An absolutely wonderful album.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
Great call on Lateralus, although I think I would put it even higher on my list. Lateralus (the song) epitomizes eargasmic
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The Top Ten
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
#10: Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion (2012)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Drag Ropes (2) Storm Corrosion (3) Hag (4) Happy (5) Lock Howl (6) Ljudet Innan

Let’s start my top ten off with a bit of a surprise. Storm Corrosion, the recent collaboration between Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt, is an amazing, amazing record. My expectations before the album came out weren’t all that high. I had gotten pretty tired of the “70s throwback” records everyone was putting out, and the news that the whole album would be entirely ambient made things even more risky. When I picked the album up, it took some time to grow on me, but before too long I soon realized that this record is truly something special. I guess in a way I shouldn’t be too surprised, since it was made by two of my favorite musicians of all time. As I’ve mentioned before, I love atmosphere in music. You could say it’s a musical fetish of mine. Not only might this be the most heavily atmospheric record ever made, but it has a striking amount of variety within it, too. Every song creates vivid mental images in your head. The title track, Storm Corrosion, is one of the most beautiful songs ever made, and creates images of extensive fields with rain coming down from the cloudy skies above, empty buildings being overtaken by nature, and a beautiful sunset. It is definitely one of my favorite songs of all time, made even more lush by Steven’s soothing vocals and the single most beautiful guitar solo I’ve ever heard. Hag is very dark and brooding, evoking images of a shady, candlelit cult, an empty room with no light. The closer, Ljudet Innan, is another beautiful song, creating images of a large, peaceful cathedral, a glimmer of shining light in the middle of darkness. There isn’t a single weak song on the album, and each one is unique. The only complaint I have is that while I prefer Steven’s clean vocals, I wish Mikeal got to sing more often. The harmonies between them on the opener Drag Ropes are fantastic, and aside from that song, pretty much all the vocals are handled entirely by Steven. Still, he does such a great job that it doesn’t really hurt the album. Now, as much as I love this record, it’s not for everyone. If you don’t like ambient, atmospheric music, you won’t like this album. Don’t wait for something exciting to happen on this record, because it rarely ever does. However, if you’re the type that likes long passages of quiet, ambient, and beautiful music, you should absolutely adore this album.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Drag Ropes, Storm Corrosion, Hag, Ljudet Innan
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:11:04 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
WAY too early to put in a top 50, let alone a top 10..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »
I believe out of the four 2012 albums on this list, this one's the oldest. :lol

edit: Nevermind, Koloss is. 2nd oldest. :P
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:42:14 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2012, 01:42:59 AM »
Wow, a surprise pick. It's a damn good album.  :tup

• DT.net Member
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2012, 03:38:18 AM »
WAY too early to put in a top 50, let alone a top 10..

If an album's good, it's good. Death's Symbolic entered my alltime top 10 within its first day or so and, 13 years later, it remains there.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
Yes, but often an album can initially be very good, but doesn't age well at all. I can think of several examples of such album in my case. When composing a top *anything* you should take this into account as well. For my top 50, when I did mine, I excluded all albums I hadn't known for more than 6 months. Taking this into account, he could place Storm Corrosion there, since i's been out for more than 6 months if I recall correctly. Keep in mind I was drunk when I wrote the first comment :lol
Squ

• DT.net Member
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
There definitely is validity to your angle but just not enough to completely eliminate the possibility of something aging as well as its initial "new car smell" era. Another wrinkle is that people sometimes include material that isn't currently in their 50 favorite albums of all time but still include it because it had been for an important portion of their lives yet no one seems to consider that invalid.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Woohoo, Storm Corrosion is awesome!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2012, 11:08:59 AM »
Keep in mind I was drunk when I wrote the first comment :lol

Don't drink and post!  :coolio

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.MY TEETH TASTE FUNNY TODAY
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
#9: Between The Buried And Me - Colors (2007)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Foam Born (A) The Backtrack (2) (B) The Decade Of Statues (3) Informal Gluttony (4) Sun Of Nothing (5) Ants Of The Sky
(6) Prequel To The Sequel (7) Viridian (8) White Walls

On the other hand, here’s an entry that shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. Between The Buried And Me’s magnum opus, Colors, plays out like one gigantic song, and a freaking amazing song, too. As one would guess, it’s definitely a lot to take in the first few listens. There’s no way you’ll be able to absorb the whole thing without repeated listenings, because not only is it one huge song, it has the typical Between The Buried And Me “random composition” style with barely any song structure to speak of. That’s not to say that the album feels disjointed or lacks flow though, it flows as smoothly as a river of butter. The transitions in this record are incredible, and while you don’t exactly need to listen to the whole album start to finish to get anything out of it, once you start listening, it’s incredibly hard to stop until the record has finished. While the album starts out a bit slow, it just gets better and better as it goes on. Once you’re about halfway through the first big track, Sun Of Nothing, things really start picking up, and when that song transitions directly (and I mean DIRECTLY) into the complex, sprawling Ants Of The Sky, the album goes from great to amazing. And just when you think it can’t get any better, the album concludes with White Walls, one of the greatest and most orgasmic closing tracks of all time. Once that absolutely jaw-dropping outro is done and the last piano note fades out, all you can do is just look back and marvel at what an amazing musical journey you just experienced. While Colors is hard to get into at first, and the heavier segments with Tommy’s harsh vocals might take some time to get used to, once this album clicks, it becomes perfectly clear that this is one of the greatest progressive metal albums ever created.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Sun Of Nothing, Ants Of The Sky, Prequel To The Sequel, White Walls

Offline Jiangsu

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
Great choice, and an even better description.  I love Colors and would have this album even higher in my own rankings.  The run of tracks from Sun of Nothing to the end of White Walls might be my favourite run of all time.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
If your CD collection was 10 times bigger than it currently is, this would still probably be a top 10 album.  Fucking beast it is.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »
...they seem more jagged than normallll!!!!  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:58 AM »
Indeed a brilliant album. Also, what doc said. It stayed in my top 15 since I've known it, even as my CD collection is growing still.
Squ

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »
This album is SOOOOO good.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.iPods & Xboxes
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »
#8: Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (2007)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Fear Of A Blank Planet (2) My Ashes (3) Anesthetize (4) Sentimental (5) Way Out Of Here (6) Sleep Together

When compared to the rest of the Porcupine Tree discography, Fear Of A Blank Planet sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of mood and feel. Porcupine Tree has always been a pretty somber-sounding band, but with this record, they took it to the next level and created one of the most dark, bleak, and depressing albums of all time. There’s not a single happy song on the album, it’s a completely cold and dark journey throughout. That said, it’s easily the best Porcupine Tree record in my eyes. I absolutely love the composition on this album. The keyboards are especially great, adding just the right atmosphere to each song with ambient soundscapes and moody synths (Richard Barbieri doesn’t get anywhere near as much credit as Steven Wilson or Gavin Harrison, but Porcupine Tree wouldn’t be anywhere near as good without him). Being such a dark album, there’s a good amount of metal elements to be found, and they always fit in well and feel like they serve their purpose. And of course, Steven Wilson’s vocal style works perfectly for the somber mood. Where this record really shines is its flow. Being a concept album, it plays out like a big suite, and the tracklist is structured perfectly in this regard. There are only six songs on the album, and they seem to go by pretty quickly. The centerpiece of the record is Anesthetize, one of the band’s longest songs. It starts out ambient, transitions into a heavy middle movement, then ends with a heart-wrenching and emotional finale. You’ve also got Sentimental, the most melancholy song on the album (which is saying a lot), My Ashes, the album’s most “warm” sounding song (which isn’t saying much), and the incredibly bleak Way Out Of Here. …There’s also the first and last tracks, because honestly, the whole record is amazing. There’s not a weak moment throughout, it’s designed and executed perfectly, and it’s a truly unique-sounding album. And that’s why I rank it as the best of Porcupine Tree. (…Oh yeah, and the lyrics were pretty damn relatable during my phase of typical teenage angst depression bullshit, so if you’re going through that time of your life, you’ll probably relate to them too.)

---FAVORITE SONGS---
My Ashes, Anesthetize, Sentimental, Way Out Of Here

Offline adace

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
One of my all-time favorite albums  :metal  :tup

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Yeah, great album!