Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The End  (Read 30596 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The End
« on: October 25, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
Hey guys! As you probably guessed, this is my top 33 albums list. Why such a random number? That's just a mystery you'll have to solve yourself.

Anyways, here's some general stuff about my list:
-I'm a pretty young fellow, so don't be surprised if nearly all my list is from the 21st century.
-Maximum of two albums per band.
-Most of the bands on my list are pretty well-known around here, but some of the actual album choices and their rankings might be quite unexpected.
-Along with selecting my four (sometimes more or less) favorite songs from the album at the end of each write-up, I will mention the best songs in the write up, and you can just click on the song name and it'll take you straight to a YouTube video!

-FULL LIST ON PAGE 8
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:49:00 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.The First Three
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »
#33: Gorillaz – Demon Days (2005)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Intro (2) Last Living Souls (3) Kids With Guns (4) O Green World (5) Dirty Harry
(6) Feel Good Inc. (7) El Mañana (8) Every Planet We Reach Is Dead (9) November Has Come (10) All Alone
(11) White Light (12) Dare (13) Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head (14) Don't Get Lost In Heaven (15) Demon Days

While this might be a pretty odd album to start off my list, it just wouldn’t be right to leave it out. Why? Well, it’s pretty much the album that got me into music in general. I was in like 5th grade when I first got into Gorillaz, and while my musical tastes have definitely grown a lot since then, they’re still pretty awesome. One of the best things about them is they don’t really have a consistent genre; they just do whatever the hell they want to do. With this album especially, you never really know what the next song will be like. Feel Good Inc. is definitely deserving of the popularity it got when the album came out, alternating between funk, hip-hop, and a beautiful guitar and synth section seamlessly. El Manaña is a dark, somber, acoustic guitar-driven track, and Every Planet We Reach Is Dead is one of the most unique-sounding songs you’ll ever hear, throwing so many different elements together it’s hard to keep track of them all. Think the variety ends there? Nope. You’ve got disco, gospel, hard rock and everything in between. There’s even a song where fucking Dennis Hopper sits down and reads a story to you. While I’ve listened this album to death over the years, this album is without a doubt one of the best examples of creativity and variety in all of music.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Dirty Harry, Feel Good Inc, El Manaña, Every Planet We Reach Is Dead

#32: Meshuggah – Koloss (2012)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) I Am Colossus (2) The Demon's Name Is Surveillance (3) Do Not Look Down (4) Behind The Sun
(5) The Hurt That Finds You First (6) Marrow (7) Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion (8) Swarm
(9) Demiurge (10) The Last Vigil

On the other hand, here’s a band I’ve gotten into pretty recently.  This is their newest album, and they’ve basically taken all of their sound elements from over the years and rolled them up into one. You’ve got the crushing brutality, insane polyrhythms, groovy riffs, speaker-shaking guitars (literally) and everything. I Am Colossus starts off the album with a very doomy-sounding song, and sounds, well, colossal. Do Not Look Down has one of the band’s grooviest riffs ever, and Behind The Sun and Demiurge have that huge, epic “holy fucking shit the entire goddamn universe is being sucked into a gigantic black hole and we’re all gonna fucking die” sound that Meshuggah does so well. If you’re into brutal, technical metal and you haven’t checked this band out yet… Why the hell haven’t you?

---FAVORITE SONGS---
I Am Colossus, Do Not Look Down, Behind The Sun, Demiurge

#31: Mastodon – Crack The Skye (2009)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Oblivion (2) Divinations (3) Quintessence (4) The Czar (5) Ghost Of Karelia (6) Crack The Skye (7) The Last Baron

This album I picked up because so many people on the forums loved it, and I was initially not really sure what was so great about it. However, it’s grown on me a lot and I can say that it’s deserving of all the praise it gets. Why? Well, it’s kind of hard to say. It has a very unique sound, taking the typical prog-metal elements and merging them with Mastodon’s style to create something that’s hard to describe, but is very original and undeniably great to listen to. It’s also incredibly consistent throughout, with no real filler. Oblivion starts the album off great, and The Czar and The Last Baron are incredibly proggy, lengthy songs that take you on quite the musical journey. There’s not much else to say about this album other than yeah, go listen to it. Most of you probably have already, anyway.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Oblivion, Divinations, The Czar, The Last Baron

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:37:06 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:37:31 AM »
Meshuggah is great!

Offline adace

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »
Meshuggah and Mastodon  :metal :metal :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:54:02 AM »
Weakest Mastodon album IMO, but will be following the list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »
What's your favorite, out of curiosity? I haven't listened to their first two albums yet, but I really should.
And thanks for following. :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 05:47:31 AM »
Leviathan
Remission

Blood Mountain
Call of the Mastodon/Lifesblood
The Hunter
Crack the Skye

Offline Ruba

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 06:25:32 AM »
Koloss  :metal :metal :metal!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »

that's odd considering it has some of their best songs.  :biggrin:
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »
Crack the Skye is my favorite Mastodon album as well - it's heavy, progressive, catchy, epic, it's pretty much everything. I really think it has a perfect balance of all Mastodon elements. It's nice to see it in your list.  :tup

I loved Demon days when it came out, but I rarely return to it. I might have to give it a spin one of these days, just to see if it still gets me going.  :smiley:

Following this, obviously.  :corn

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
Yeah Crack the Skye is my favourite Mastodon album I've heard.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Blood Mountain is my favourite Mastodon record, with Crack the Skye as a close second. Following, but why 33?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
Blood Mountain is my favourite Mastodon record, with Crack the Skye as a close second. Following, but why 33?
Blood Mountain's my least favorite of the three that I've heard, but hey, to each his own.

And because:
1: I don't want my list to take forever
2: I haven't really listened to enough albums to do a full 50
3: It gives the lowest albums more points on Big Hath's database.

Maybe I'll do a full top 50 in the future.
Anyways, new update soon! :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Once Upon A Periphery
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
#30: Nightwish - Once (2004)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Dark Chest Of Wonders (2) Wish I Had An Angel (3) Nemo (4) Planet Hell (5) Creek Mary's Blood
(6) The Siren (7) Dead Gardens (8) Romanticide (9) Ghost Love Score (10) Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan (11) Higher Than Hope

Nightwish is pretty hit-or-miss with me, but this album is definitely a hit. A home run, even. While symphonic metal has the tendency to be incredibly cheesy and overblown, this album has perfected the genre. It not only succeeds in having tons of good songs, but striking a fantastic balance between the “symphonic” and the “metal”. The two styles always compliment each other perfectly, and each gets enough time in the spotlight. You’ve got heavy, guitar-focused songs like Dark Chest Of Wonders and Planet Hell where the orchestra adds to the bombastic and intense sound, and other songs that are more calm and symphony-based, like Creek Mary’s Blood. The highlight of the album is easily Ghost Love Score. The orchestra is absolutely flawless and the guitars add to it to create one of the most epic-sounding songs ever. Great variety, great composition, great album.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Dark Chest Of Wonders, Planet Hell, Creek Mary’s Blood, Ghost Love Score

#29: Periphery - Periphery II (2012)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Muramasa (2) Have A Blast (3) Facepalm Mute (4) Ji (5) Scarlet (6) Luck As A Constant (7) Ragnarok
(8) The Gods Must Be Crazy! (9) Make Total Destroy (10) Erised (11) Epoch (12) Froggin' Bullfish
(13) Mile Zero (14) Masamune

If you’ve shrugged off Periphery for being yet another modern, generic djent metal band, well, stop it and go listen to this album right now. Periphery followed up their first release from 2010 with an album that is better in pretty much every way. Spencer’s vocals, both clean and harsh, have improved dramatically. There’s less of a focus on Misha’s guitar riffs and the whole album feels much more like a band effort. (Probably because it was.) Despite being quite heavy, the album has a very optimistic and bright feel to it, especially on songs like Have A Blast (which features a couple fantastic guitar solos from the legendary Guthrie Govan) and Mile Zero. Other highlights include the centerpiece Ragnarok, which starts out face-smashingly brutal with the 7-string guitars pounding your ears like jackhammers, abruptly transitions to an uplifting climax with some amazingly powerful clean vocals, then mellows out into an ambient clean section all in the course of six and a half minutes. The closer Masamune is also fantastic, and has one of the most hellish and demonic-sounding outros in all of metal. Periphery II is a fantastic follow-up to their first album, and I’ve got a feeling it will get even better from here.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Have A Blast, Ragnarok, Mile Zero, Masamune

Offline adace

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
Two more amazing albums.  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »
One of the downsides of owning nearly 1000 albums:  A really good album like Once wouldn't even be considered if I was making a top 100 list, and I really like that album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 03:50:16 AM »
One of the downsides of owning nearly 1000 albums:  A really good album like Once wouldn't even be considered if I was making a top 100 list, and I really like that album.

Yeah, a coupla thousand albums and 30+ years of music listening makes a top 50 very very hard.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 04:38:29 AM »

Yeah, a coupla thousand albums and 30+ years of music listening makes a top 50 very very hard.

All of this.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »

Despite owning nearly a thousand albums, Once is fantastic enough to make my Top 50.  Planet Hell was the song that introduced me to symphonic and female-led metal, and GLS usually wins (or places) in the Nightwish survivor.

However, as I've always said... Century Child is the best them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Long Write-Up Is Long
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
#28: Thrice – The Alchemy Index (2007 / 2008)

Here’s a type of musical project that needs to happen more often. Different albums usually have their own “feel” to it, represented by a certain color, season, etc. This often comes unintentionally, but when an artist tries to replicate a certain feel with their music and does so successfully, the result is something truly special. The Alchemy Index is a collection of four six-song EPs, each representing a different element. (Fire, Water, Air, Earth.) Both the music and the lyrics revolve around the EP’s respective element, and the end result is a very interesting concept that is executed fantastically. While The Alchemy Index is meant to be taken as one big album, I’m just going to go over the four elements separately to keep things organized.

---Volume 1: Fire---
(1) Firebreather (2) The Messenger (3) Backdraft (4) The Arsonist (5) Burn The Fleet (6) The Flame Deluge

It was a great idea to open up the collection with the heaviest and most energetic EP, and Fire definitely succeeds at sounding like a raging, unstoppable inferno. That said, it’s probably my least favorite of the four. I love heavy music and everything, but for this particular album I like the calmer, atmospheric sounds of the other three elements better. Still, Fire is definitely an enjoyable listen.

---Volume 2: Water---
(1) Digital Sea (2) Open Water (3) Lost Continent (4) Night Diving (5) The Whaler (6) Kings Upon The Main

Water beats fire. It’s just a fact. This is definitely my favorite of the four, and provides a relaxing, soothing, but rather cold-sounding experience. It definitely sounds like you’re in the middle of an ocean. Compared to the rest of the EPs, Water is the most electronic-based, the most atmospheric, and the most consistent in quality. All of those things are good, if you ask me, and that puts this EP above the others.

---Volume 3: Air---
(1) Broken Lungs (2) The Sky Is Falling (3) A Song For Milly Michaelson (4) Daedalus (5) As The Crow Flies (6) Silver Wings

Air is my second favorite of the four, but it’s also the hardest to describe. It’s probably the most accessible (because air is everywhere, duh) but also manages to be heavily atmospheric. Air is a pretty hard thing to make music sound like, with my first guess to the EP’s sound being something along the lines of Opeth’s Damnation. Instead, Thrice focused on making all the songs sound like you’re flying over the land, high in the sky. The music is both uplifting and melancholy at the same time (if that makes any sense at all) with some heart-wrenching lyrics thrown in for good measure. While not as consistent as Water, it comes pretty close in terms of overall quality.

---Volume 4: Earth---
(1) Moving Mountains (2) Digging My Own Grave (3) The Earth Isn't Humming (4) The Lion And The Wolf (5) Come All You Weary
(6) Child Of Dust

Earth is very folky-sounding, with all of the songs except the excellent Come All You Weary using exclusively acoustic instruments. It’s very simple and down-to-Earth. (See what I did there?) There’s not much else to say about this one except that it’s good and very unique.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Fire: Firebreather, The Arsonist
Water: Digital Sea, Night Diving
Air: Broken Lungs, The Sky Is Falling
Earth: The Earth Isn't Humming, Come All You Weary

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:00:51 AM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
No love for The Alchemy Index? You guys need to listen to it if you haven't before.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
Daedalus is their best song. :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
My #7 when I did mine, so good choice.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 09:47:01 PM »
Much love for The Alchemy Index, one of the best albums ever by one of the best bands ever   :tup

Daedalus is their best song. :metal

I don't know about that, but it's a great tune for sure  ;)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Top 33 Albums! v.Appreciated, Underappreciated
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »
#27: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1-5 (2) Welcome To The Machine (3) Have A Cigar (4) Wish You Were Here
(5) Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 6-9

Wish You Were Here on another top albums list? Shock and horror! After the monster write-up of The Alchemy Index, I’ll keep this one pretty short since most of you here have probably already heard it. Easily the best Pink Floyd album in my opinion, it’s somber, calm, and holds your attention from start to finish. There isn’t a bad moment on the album, and Welcome To The Machine is definitely my favorite Pink Floyd song. Recommended tracks? All of them.

#26: Oceansize - Frames (2007)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt (2) Unfamiliar (3) Trail Of Fire (4) Savant (5) Only Twin (6) An Old Friend Of The Christy's
(7) Sleeping Dogs And Dead Lions (8) The Frame

This album was a grower, but it was definitely worth the time. While Oceansize is a very modern-sounding band, this is without a doubt a very progressive album, with the shortest track being six minutes and barely any use of a standard time signature. Except for the mostly forgettable second track, this record is consistently great and has a fantastic share of variety. You’ve got heavier songs, quieter songs, proggy songs, an instrumental, everything. Trail Of Fire and Only Twin are the best songs on the album, taking their time to steadily build and build in intensity; but while the former is bright and uplifting, the latter is a bleak, chilling, and frightening trip through Hell. Savant and The Frame are also great, both being soft and warm with some of the best outros you’ll ever hear. It’s a shame Oceansize isn’t around anymore, but what they left behind is something to cherish.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Trail Of Fire, Savant, Only Twin, The Frame

#25: Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect (2009)

---TRACKLIST---
(1) Mirrors (2) Obfuscation (3) Disease, Injury, Madness (4) Fossil Genera - A Feed From Cloud Mountain (5) Desert Of Song
(6) Swim To The Moon

While Between The Buried And Me is one of the most popular bands on these forums, the fanbase seems to be pretty split on this album. There’s nothing wrong with that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everything, but a lot of the criticism for this album has bugged me. A lot of people say that this album is just a bunch of random ideas stitched together to form structureless tracks that wander around without really going anywhere. Well, first of all, you’re pretty much describing every single Between The Buried And Me album right there. That’s just the band’s style, and they always pull it off quite well. But the thing is, out of all the band’s recent albums (post-Alaska) the songs in this album have the MOST structure of them all. Each song is split into noticeable segments, they all have pretty great flow, and they never feel like they overstay their welcome. The only exception to this is the fourth song, but the rest are fine. It just makes no real sense that this album is criticized for being structureless while Colors and Parallax II are praised for it. Besides, the songs on this album are just plain good. Disease, Injury, Madness has the typical BTBAM heavy sections, but also features a quiet and atmospheric part in the first half and an all-out progressive instrumental section in the second half. Swim To The Moon is the band’s longest and most progressive song to date, and manages to hold my attention and be consistently fantastic throughout. While it does end a bit abruptly, the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Great band, underappreciated album.

---FAVORITE SONGS---
Mirrors, Obfuscation, Disease, Injury, Madness, Swim To The Moon

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:33:58 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 02:38:36 AM »
Always good to see Wish you were here.  :tup

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 03:42:26 AM »
Lots of great albums here! Love Wish You Were Here, Crack The Skye is by far my favourite Mastodon album, and I still need to check out The Alchemy Index and Periphery II.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »
Yet ANOTHER appearance by WYWH.  Deservedly so.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
 :heart Frames  :heart

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »
Both great albums. :)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »
TGM is good, but if I had to rank quality of albums that were released after Colors, it would be at the bottom. Still enjoy it though, as BTBAM is my favorite band.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
Both great albums. :)
Which two? There's three. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »
Silly me. For some reason I remembered only WYWH and Frames. All three are great. :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 08:35:11 PM »
Silly me. For some reason I remembered only WYWH and Frames. All three are great. :lol
Glad you agree. :tup

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
New update in a bit!
(Posting this so the update won't be the last post on this page)