Author Topic: Instructional DVD from Mike Mangini  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Stonestef

Instructional DVD from Mike Mangini
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
As posted by him on FB:

I will be performing in Austin at PASIC November 3, Signing at M&G in Memphis, TN November 10, Performing at Chops Percussion in Indianapolis November 11 and finally shooting an instructional DVD and 'Packs' Short clips packages November 26.

Great news!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Instructional DVD from Mike Mangini
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:16:04 AM »
As posted by him on FB:

I will be performing in Austin at PASIC November 3, Signing at M&G in Memphis, TN November 10, Performing at Chops Percussion in Indianapolis November 11 and finally shooting an instructional DVD and 'Packs' Short clips packages November 26.

Great news!

I can see how this will be heavily focused on his drumming on ADTOE.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
Please, don't name it like "A Drumatic Turn of Events" or "A Dramatic Turn of My Drums" or something like that.  :facepalm:

(or why not...)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
ORLY?!

:caffeine:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
Please, don't name it like "A Drumatic Turn of Events" or "A Dramatic Turn of My Drums" or something like that.  :facepalm:

(or why not...)

" How to create great Toooooooone such....that.....the drums sound great & you get every job you've ever applied for ( 42 and counting )

and 16 pretty cool other tricks too......"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:56:00 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Polis

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »

(or why not...)

" How to create great Toooooooone such....that.....the drums sound great & you get every job you've ever applied for ( 42 and counting )

and 16 pretty cool other tricks too......"

loool I laughed my ass off reading this

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »

(or why not...)

Kind of ironic that right after MP left, the band releases an album whose title is ridiculously conducive to those puns.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
I read that it won't be about DTs music really and that it'll just be a general instructional DVD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline thyer

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
From Mangini FB:

If you have friends that are not DT fans, then my DVD will help them understand what makes it and all music what it is, but I won't be demoing or using DT music. I did not write it and do not own the copywrites. My upcoming DVD is an instructional one using my most potent learning system ever that is not in my Rhythm Knowledge books. It is actually the seed of everything I do and will allow me to
film many, many more DVD's based on it. It will allow musicians that previously could not improvise, understand (my DT playing) or grow as players to do so in less than 30 minutes and for the rest of their lives. It will help anybody understand what possibilities there are for musicians. It will help understand Rhythm Knowledge if they don't already. Friends will understand just how deep DT music is and why it isn't as easily absorbed as pop music. I tested this system for a few years while at Berklee. It never failed. It never took more than one half hour lesson. Students who studied for 3 years that made no improvement and not able to play with people very well were able to improvise in five musical styles that they didn't get, felt like they were forced to learn, practice or find any joy in in less than 30 minutes. It also allowed everyone of them to see who and what they are and where they go as musicians. Finally, it removed music prejudice. What was once music (and musicians/people) that a person didn't like or even respect became one (the music AND the musician) they finally understood and didn't disrespect anymore. It didn't matter the instrument. It didn't matter the person's background, likes, dislikes or color of their socks. I have about 200 'thank you' emails from the students which I thank them for because it proves just how potent this system is. I will demo the core of ' drum moves and grooves' that I used for ADToE as an additional set of clips. I'll speak about it more in December. I need to film it first, but I wanted to clue in whomever is interested.

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
Here are two more posts from MM on facebook:     :tup

"You'll be able to see the ADToE drum parts on the DT DVD. The footage I'll film on November 26 will display all that there is to be played, has ever been played and ever could be played by looking at just one piece of paper. Therefore, the ADToE drum parts stem from this information. This is why my 1st DVD needs to be the source, not just a usage of the source. ADToE is just a tini bit of expression. I want to share the whole universe so one can see where it all comes from. I promise you nothing short of you jaws dropping to the ground when I explain myself on film. It isn't about me. It is about the system that always existed but was never put on paper. How often is the reason for all the disagreement in the world summed up by the phrase, "not everyone is on the same page?" Like all the time ... with everything from music to politics to religion to language to everything there is? Well I made the page for music and anyone who has spent a little time with me explaining it gets it. I only used this at the very end of my time at Berklee as it wasn't finished when I left."

"The system (still naming it) I'll use in the DVD has components that require the Rhythm Knowledge books to make the mechanical things easier to achieve. RK Volume 1 is a book about behavioral change based on the mechanics of a human being (spirit, mind and body) while Volume 2 is a collection of Five "root" systems that handle all the mental and physical aspects of playing any rhythm. That's why it is called Rhythm Knowledge. The information does apply to all instruments because all instruments use rhythm and are orchestrated by humans. I used it to teach non drummers. Again, this DVD is not an explanation of RK, but is connected to it. This DVD is about what happens inside the human mind when improvising and and shows what musical possibilities exist outside of it in order to grow. About my books: A handful of guitar students at Berklee came to me and the RK books worked although they are just sub systems. I was needed (only at first) to explain them as the material applied to each individual person. Two guitarists ended up touring with me. They went from not understanding the time signatures of the music they liked to being able to compose using it and even have me play with them, and/or on their material in the case of Masaki Watanabe, who's music I recored and toured with along with his teacher in Japan, Isao Fujita. I make the bulk of the Video November 26-28. The release ought to be in the spring, but I don't know how long it will take except that I know that Hudson does top quality work and does not take forever to churn out product."

Calvin6s

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
So does Mangini have this Instructional DVD out yet?  I've heard he is a great teacher, and even though I'm a guitarist, I'm sure he can teach me quite a bit.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:11:52 AM »
So does Mangini have this Instructional DVD out yet?  I've heard he is a great teacher, and even though I'm a guitarist, I'm sure he can teach me quite a bit.

Ιt's been out for a while now, i don't have it though so i can't comment on the quality.

Calvin6s

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 04:08:19 AM »
Thanks.  I think I found it.
https://www.amazon.com/Mike-Mangini-Grid-Creative-Drumming/dp/B00EA0Q0DC

Anybody here get it yet?

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 12:10:15 PM »
I have it.  I personally enjoyed the hell out of it.  There's two discs and it starts really basic and works up to polyrhythms and more complicated patterns.  It really is about introducing the concept of the Grid and then working all sorts of examples out of it.

He works on a small kit and on the big DT kit which was nice to see up close.  You get a lot of insight into how the man does what he does and why but be forewarned, it is very dry. If you're looking for two discs full of oh wow moments, this isn't it.  If you want to see how much that dude knows and how musical he can be, then this will do it.  There's still quite a few oh wow moments, don't get me wrong, it's just not the focus.

Alex

Calvin6s

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
I have it.  I personally enjoyed the hell out of it.  There's two discs and it starts really basic and works up to polyrhythms and more complicated patterns.  It really is about introducing the concept of the Grid and then working all sorts of examples out of it.

He works on a small kit and on the big DT kit which was nice to see up close.  You get a lot of insight into how the man does what he does and why but be forewarned, it is very dry. If you're looking for two discs full of oh wow moments, this isn't it.  If you want to see how much that dude knows and how musical he can be, then this will do it.  There's still quite a few oh wow moments, don't get me wrong, it's just not the focus.

Alex

Alex !!!! Hey.  How's it going?

The idea of taking it from basics to the complicated sounds like it was well done.  I don't really need oh wow moments (drum solos and fills).  I like instructionals that deal with how your instrument works in the bigger picture.  One thing I do enjoy though is when they relate some things to actual songs they've been a part of in the past.  Any of that?

BTW, I have it on my to buy list.  The list is just so long though that it might take some time to make it to the front of the line.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »
I want this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »

Alex

Alex !!!! Hey.  How's it going?

The idea of taking it from basics to the complicated sounds like it was well done.  I don't really need oh wow moments (drum solos and fills).  I like instructionals that deal with how your instrument works in the bigger picture.  One thing I do enjoy though is when they relate some things to actual songs they've been a part of in the past.  Any of that?

BTW, I have it on my to buy list.  The list is just so long though that it might take some time to make it to the front of the line.

It is a really well done instructional video, you can tell how much of a teacher Mike is.  There isn't a whole lot in the way of actual tunes being referenced which is unfortunate because I dig that as well.  Lots of playing though and it can be staggering to see how much control he has over what he plays.

Alex