Author Topic: Genesis Discography  (Read 54777 times)

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
About the "meaning" of the album. My interpretation (that I actually read somewhere online and thought it made sense) is that Rael dies in "Fly on a windshield" (right after the "waiting for the windshield on the freeway" line, when the music just explodes) and is sent to some sort of limbo. He is doomed to be there until he sacrifices himself to save his brother (if he would have chosen to go through the gate to broadway in "The Light Dies Down" the whole thing would have restarted from "Back in NYC"). I think that his brother is the part of him that he repressed while trying to be a tough kid in New York and also the part that he needs to embrace to move on.

That probably didn't make much sense but I'm satisfied with that explanation.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
I don't think the fact that the story is REALLY disjointed ever bothered me - it was always the quality of the music that pulled me in and made me love this album the way that I do/have.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »

But I really don't get too bogged down by the story/concept.   When I listen to it, I approach the album like it's a big fantastical dream ... and dreams are supposed to be disjointed and nonsensical anyway. 

This describes my thoughts about The Lamb's storyline to a 't.'  :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
I personally don't have problems with it, but one of the critiques I kept seeing when I was researching this one is that the story doesn't make any sense, so I figured I'd mention it.  Turns out it bothers some people, but obviously not everyone.

Also, I tend to listen to this one end-to-end, and the music is just amazing.  I listened a couple times in the car, a couple times with earphones while working out, and a couple times with headphones while surfing the net, and I kept getting blown away by how intricate and just plain amazing the music is.  I found myself trying to tune out the vocals and just listen to the awesome music.  So no, the story doesn't really matter.  Heck, I grew listening to Yes, and their words never make sense!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
I know this is a thread about GENESIS themselves, but has anyone listened to Nick D'Virgilio's cover of this album with Rewiring Genesis? It's an amazing cover-album and it really brings out some nuances of the original by use of different instruments and arrangements, as well as changing styles and moods while staying mostly true to the original. It breathed new life into an old and over-played favorite of mine.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »
I only found out about Rewiring Genesis recently, while doing research for this thread.  I made a mental note to check it out sometime, but I tend to lose mental notes.  Thanks for the reminder, and the recommendation.  I do remember it striking me as a cash-grab ripoff thing.  I tend to not be impressed by projects like this where the whole point is be to derivative of something else.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
I only found out about Rewiring Genesis recently, while doing research for this thread.  I made a mental note to check it out sometime, but I tend to lose mental notes.  Thanks for the reminder, and the recommendation.  I do remember it striking me as a cash-grab ripoff thing.  I tend to not be impressed by projects like this where the whole point is be to derivative of something else.

Being a huge fan of Genesis AND Nick D'Virgilio, I knew that if ANYONE in the modern prog would could do The Lamb any justice, it would be him. After all, Nick WAS on a Genesis album with Tony and Mike!

His vocals are perfect for the album, and the use of horns/winds/strings in place of many of the keyboard lines are just too perfect! There's an amazing accordion solo in "The Colony Of Slippermen", a clarinet solo in "Riding The Scree" that is mindblowing... you just never really think that Tony's blazing solos could be adapted to other instruments, but the sounds and the performances themselves are truly awe-inspiring. The whole band on the album is just top-notch, and Nick's drumming really does Phil's justice.

Before you listen to it, though, I would read Nick's write-up about the album in the liner-notes (and it is also online somewhere as well). Nick had recorded "Colony" back a few years ago with Mark Hornsby, and at the time of it's release online, no one knew if it was for a cover project, or just a one-off, but as we eventually found out, it turned out to be a whole album cover! The styles of jazz, fusion, and even New Orleans ragtime really pump new blood into this prog-rock classic. I highly recommend it to fans of the original, but go into it with an open mind. It wasn't made with the intention to offend die-hard Gabriel-era/Lamb fans, but for fans of that album to hear things that other fans of it (Nick and Mark) wanted us to hear, and they do an amazing job of it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:07 PM »
So, a bit of a back-track, but I wanted to post this before we left the Gabriel-Era...

Awhile ago, when I got the LIVE Boxset, I combined the entire Live At The Rainbow 1973 show with 3 tracks from Genesis Live and one track from Archive 1 to form a 2 disc mega-live album that covers all the officially released live songs of the Gabriel-Era (except the Lamb show):

135:02

Disc 1 (68:36)
Watcher Of The Skies
Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
The Cinema Show
I Know What I Like
Firth Of Fifth
The Musical Box
More Fool Me
Stagnation (Archive 1)

Disc 2 (66:26)
Get 'Em Out By Friday (Live)
The Return of the Giant Hogweed (Live)
The Battle Of Epping Forest
Supper's Ready
The Knife (Live)

*All tracks from LATR unless noted

Unfortunately, there haven't been any officially released live tracks of "The Fountain Of Salmacis" or "Horizons" or "Time Table" or...actually, any of the rest of the songs from NC/FT. At least there's 6/8 for SEBTP, and 3/6 for FT, and 2 each from NC and TP.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Genesis: A Trick of the Tail (1976)
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »
Genesis: A Trick of the Tail (1976)

Outer jacket gatefold
Inner jacket gatefold

Tony Banks - Keyboards, Background Vocals, 12-String Guitar
Phil Collins - Lead and Background Vocals, Drums, Percussion
Steve Hackett - Guitars
Mike Rutherford -  Bass, Bass Pedals, 12-String Guitar

Dance on a Volcano
Entangled
Squonk
Mad Man Moon
Robbery, Assault and Battery
Ripples (originally "Ripples...")
A Trick of the Tail
Los Endos

----------

With Peter Gabriel, their eccentric lead singer and front man, gone, Phil suggested that the band continue as an instrumental group.  He claims that this was a serious consideration "for about five minutes".  But as music for the next album was nearing completion, and over 400 singers had been auditioned with none of them being truly satisfactory, the idea came up again, this time championed by Tony.  He had written most of the music for the next album and generally did not consider how vocals would work with the music anyway; that had always been Peter's job.

Phil had recorded guide vocals for some of the songs, so that the singers who auditioned would have an idea of what was expected.  After hundreds of auditions, Mike said that none of them sounded better than Phil, and that they should just have Phil sing lead.  He had, after all, sung lead on a few earlier songs, although those were both mellow songs with just voice and guitar.  He had about the same vocal range as Peter had, but what they really needed to know was how he would sound singing the heavier stuff.  Reluctantly, Phil gave "Squonk" his best shot.  They recorded it and listened to it as a group.

They had found their new lead singer.

Musically, A Trick of the Tail is not a true successor to Peter's swan song, The Lamb Lies Down on BroadwayThe Lamb was an intentional stylistic departure and was written and recorded very differently from previous albums.  A Trick of the Tail is much more a followup in style and tone to Selling England by the Pound and other earlier albums, which feature a good dose of English whimsy and storytelling.

The album sold better than anyone expected, reaching Number 3 on the British charts and remaining on the charts for 39 weeks.  Tony said that it doubled previous album sales.

A Trick of the Tail opens with a heavy rocker in 7/4, "Dance on a Volcano".  The song goes into a high-speed instrumental in 7/8 (the "dance") which was originally written separately but worked well with the song as both were in 7.  Steve's guitar hook which opens the album returns in the closer "Los Endos" which also features riffs from "Squonk" (the other heavy rocker) and a song which did not make the final cut, "It's Yourself".

"Entangled" has an extended instrumental featuring keyboard leads over six- and 12-string acoustic guitars, and "Ripples..." has a duet between keyboards and lead guitar over acoustic piano.  Overall, the album has a lot of guitar work, but very little lead guitar.  In a departure from previous albums, songs have individual writing credits (as opposed to all songs by written by Genesis) and Tony clearly dominates the songwriting credits.  His name appears in the credits for every song, and he has sole credit on "Mad Man Moon" and the title track.  There are two songs credited to all four members ("Dance on a Volcano" and "Los Endos"), two credited to Tony and Mike ("Squonk" and "Ripples..."), and one each credited to Tony and Phil ("Robbery, Assault and Battery"), and Tony and Steve ("Entangled").  From this album forward, all songs have individual writing credits.

Towards the end of the final track, during the "Squonk" reprise, Phil can be heard singing two lines from "Supper's Ready": "There's an angel standing in the sun" and "freed to get back home".  These lines were meant as a farewell to Peter.  "Los Endos" sounds Spanish or perhaps some derivative of Spanish, but doesn't actually mean anything in any language.  Phil says they made it up, choosing something that sounds like "The End".

Cover art is by Colin Elgie of Hipgnosis and features characters from each of the songs on the album.

When the time came to tour to support the album, they had to solve the problem of Phil not being able to sing and drum at the same time.  As it happened, King Crimson had recently broken up (again), and drummer Bill Bruford was available.  Bill played drums on most tracks, freeing Phil to sing lead vocals.  During some of the extended instrumentals, both drummers played.  The most notable exception is "The Cinema Show" which was always played as a trio by Tony, Mike, and Phil.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:09:16 PM by Orbert »

Offline The Letter M

Re: Genesis: A Trick of the Tail (1976)
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:08 AM »
When I first discovered Genesis and learned about their history, this album and Wind & Wuthering were two of my favorites, but after some time, I began to favor the latter over the former. I didn't really take to the tracks on "Trick", but over the years since, I started becoming immersed in each track, understanding and enjoying each song individually, and eventually, the album as a whole (with "It's Yourself" thrown in the middle between each vinyl side).

The lay-out does indeed remind one of SEBTP, but the lack of long epics (long being relative, anything over 9 minutes) initially drew me back a bit, but there's a lot of awesome epicness here - the instrumental sections in odd meters in songs like "Dance On A Volcano" and "Robbery, Assault And Battery" (with it's unusual 13/8, or 7/8+6/8 mixed-meter bridge/keyboard solo), or beautiful sections like in "Ripples...", "Entangled" and "Mad Man Moon".

Now I think I love this album as much as the one that follows it. I love it, and I find that it's a great effort from a band that was trying to recover from a huge loss. They showed that they were still definitively Genesis - it's a very lyrically and musically strong album, and of course, still very English.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:59:46 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2012, 07:30:08 AM »
Another great album, although not one of my Top 5. Many great songs here. My favourites are Mad Man Moon, Entangled, Ripples, and the title track.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2012, 07:51:47 AM »
Marc, once again I'm struck by how parallel our tastes and experiences are regarding Genesis.  The two 1976 albums, this one and Wind & Wuthering, are probably my favorite Genesis period.  The musicians really had a chance to stretch out, without Peter's vocals on top of everything.  This period features the highest instrumental-to-vocal ratio, probably because Phil wasn't yet comfortable singing all the time.  I too have "It's Yourself" right in the middle, between Side One and Side Two, on my iPod.

The break in "Mad Man Moon" is amazing.  It's like a miniature piano concerto, with winds, brass, even tympani, all played by different keyboards.  I think it's brilliant.  I read an interview with Tony where he sounded very proud of that piece, but a little sad for Steve, who only has that one line in the entire song.  I never thought about it until he mentioned it.  I think the descant guitar line behind the vocals during the verse is beautiful and adds a lot to the feel.

Tony said that the chase scene in "Robbery, Assault and Battery" was in 13 because they wanted a feeling like "you never quite get there".  The thief does get away, after all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
Great album! Probably my 3rd favorite of theirs. :hat

IMO, Mad Man Moon, RA&B and Ripples is one of the greatest three-song runs the band ever did.  Many go nuts over Squonk, but while I like it, I think it is one of the two songs on the album I wouldn't call great (the title track being the other).  But the other six songs are all very, very great.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »
First thing I want to say about this album: it was, when I bought it and Seconds Out on the same day, and it remains to this day, my single favorite album cover, inside and out. I spent ages reading the lyrics and looking at the art that went with each song. When people say "they don't make them like they used to" about album covers, they're talking about this one. Magnificent.

Second note: the summer I bought this album, my family got a puppy, a girl dachshund/chihuahua mix. And while she grew up to be an adorable dog, when we first got her, she looked kind of funny. In fact, she looked a great deal like a bedraggled rat. I was looking at the cover of Trick as I was playing it one day, with the puppy running around, and I said "she looks like a Squonk." I said this to my sister, showed her the album cover, and she agreed. And while once she got a few weeks older, she became a truly adorable dog, to this day, even though she's been long gone, me and my sister refer to her as the Squonk.

Musically, Trick does continue the direction the band had established on Selling, although it continued to do so at the cost of Steve Hackett. I've read articles that strongly suggested that this two album period was really the closest to the time that the band became the Tony Banks show, and it's kind of hard to argue aganst that; I had a crappy stereo at the time, and it wasn't until I replaced it that I even NOTICED Steve plays on Mad Man Moon. Though Tony's work on that is so gorgeous, and I feel this is the time to say that my favorite keyboardist of the classic prog era was in fact Tony Banks, it's kind of hard to complain. It is true that the album has a lot of guitar work on it, but it isn't until I finished it until the first time that I thought "wait, how many solos were there on this album that weren't keyboards?" In the interest of disclosure, if I was to list my ten favorite guitarists, Steve Hackett would solidly be in the top ten, so I had an interesting dynamic listening to this era of Genesis: it's great for my favorite keyboardist, lousy for one of my favorite guitarists. Thankfully the songs are so damned strong that I can overlook that-and I really can't think of a place on the album where it WOULD be right for Hackett to cut loose, but still, there you have it.

Phil does a great job in his debut as the lead singer-in fact, I've always thought he was a stronger singer than Gabriel in terms of actual voice, whereas Gabriel was definitely a stronger performer on stage, so to me, this was kind of an upgrade. Lyrically the band maintains the mix of whimsy and quirkiness that it had with Gabriel, but it adds a sense of melancholy that really wasn't around before with songs like Ripples. The must have version of this album is the re-issue that comes with a DVD of a concert that was filmed on the tour supporting Trick, featuring Bruford on drums. which is pretty neat to watch, especially since it's an artifact of the days when Phil was finding himself as a singer instead of being the drummer. That it features about half of Supper's Ready is just icing on the cake.

While I really like this album, I really love Wind And Wuthering, and Seconds Out has a place in my heart that I'll explain when we get there, so to me, we're really getting to the good stuff. :D
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »
This right here is my favorite Genesis album. Squonk is still one of my all time favorite songs ever. And Mad Man Moon is absolutely beautiful.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »
And... this is where Genesis starts to lose me.

Squonk is the only song from this album that aged well for me, I'm sorry to say.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
Marc, once again I'm struck by how parallel our tastes and experiences are regarding Genesis.  The two 1976 albums, this one and Wind & Wuthering, are probably my favorite Genesis period.  The musicians really had a chance to stretch out, without Peter's vocals on top of everything.  This period features the highest instrumental-to-vocal ratio, probably because Phil wasn't yet comfortable singing all the time.  I too have "It's Yourself" right in the middle, between Side One and Side Two, on my iPod.

The break in "Mad Man Moon" is amazing.  It's like a miniature piano concerto, with winds, brass, even tympani, all played by different keyboards.  I think it's brilliant.  I read an interview with Tony where he sounded very proud of that piece, but a little sad for Steve, who only has that one line in the entire song.  I never thought about it until he mentioned it.  I think the descant guitar line behind the vocals during the verse is beautiful and adds a lot to the feel.

Tony said that the chase scene in "Robbery, Assault and Battery" was in 13 because they wanted a feeling like "you never quite get there".  The thief does get away, after all.

:tup

Maybe, subtly, it was the fact that there was more quite more guitar on W&W that lured me to it more than ATTOT initially, or perhaps the over-all sound of W&W was a bit more closer to SEBTP than ATTOT was, or maybe it was more because Phil had a better foothold on the vocal duties so his output on their 2nd album as a 4-piece was a bit more solidified.... whatever it was, I did like it more first!

And you're right about the instrumental-to-vocal. The songs have longer non-vocal breaks, and the end of the album is entirely instrumental (save for the two "Supper's Ready" quotes), while on W&W, we're treated to 3 instrumentals, and a couple more longer non-vocal breaks in the songs.

Interesting quote from Tony about RAAB. That is probably one of my favorite songs on the whole album, and that quirky mixed-meter break is what does it for me. The best part about that break - when the beginning of the phrase changes. Initially, it starts out as 7/8+6/8, but when the vocals come back it, it switches to 9/8+4/8, or rather, they flip the measures and it becomes 6/8+7/8, but it sounds like 3+3+3+4! It's bloody brilliant!!!

-Marc.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
Best album with Phil Collins.

Ranking

Dance On A Volcano
Ripples
Squonk
Los Endos
Robbery Assult & Battery
Entangled
Title Song

Mad Man Moon

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
I do really like this album, but I have to admit, I think this album is sadly lacking the guitar work that I think it probably would have benefitted from. I think as a result of hearing Seconds Out as my first quartet era recording, I always think Squonk is a bit of a shame. It's a great song, but I always expect it to come in with mad drumming, and then it doesn't...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
Having grown up in the late 80s/early 90s, For most of my life I was under the impression that Genesis was "I can't Dance" and "land of confusion" and I didn't pay much attention, until one night 2 years ago. I was going through some of my uncle's albums and just happened to stumble upon A Trick of the Tail and figured "what the hell, I'll give it a shot" just out curiosity. My mind was blown and I was like "damn, this is really good". Then I got to Entangled and it brought a tear to my eye. Entangled has since become one of my favorite songs ever written.

It was on that day that I fell in love with Genesis and they have since become one my favorite and most respected bands. And even though I bow down to Peter Gabriel, A trick of the Tail is my favorite Genesis album.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:21:18 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
Phil has always had an ear for unusual harmonies, and he gets a chance to really dig in on this album.  "Entangled" has some really odd, yet really beautiful vocal harmonies.  I was listening to a boot of The Lamb , and with there's a lot of times when it's just Peter and Phil singing (either that or Mike wasn't in the mix) and Phil is all over the place.  The way he jumps from 3rds to 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths is effortless and gives the illusion of much fuller chords.  Here, he gets to actually fill in the chords.

I always think Squonk is a bit of a shame. It's a great song, but I always expect it to come in with mad drumming, and then it doesn't...

I like the drumming on the studio version of "Squonk", the way it starts with the roll in and doesn't let up.  To me it's even stronger than the live version.  What disappointed me was the ending.  I too started with Seconds Out, and of course all of those songs have proper endings.  The way "Squonk" fizzles down and fades is pretty weak by comparison (not unlike the way I feel about "The Cinema Show").

Offline Jaq

« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Oh, yeah, the choruses on Entangled are perhaps the best Genesis ever did. That song has some fantastic vocal parts on it.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
It's also interesting to note that ATTOT has 6 out 8 songs released live in some form or another:
Four tracks ("Dance On A Volcano", "Robbery, Assault And Battery", "Squonk" and "Los Endoes") appear on Seconds Out
Two tracks ("Ripples..." and "Entangled") appear on Archive 2

This ties SEBTP for having 6/8 tracks released live on CD (the two exceptions being "Aisle Of Plenty" and "After The Ordeal"). I believe, these two tie for third in terms of having the most material/songs released live from a single album (with Invisible Touch with 7/8 as "Anything She Does" was never played live, and the Lamb, which had a complete live release on the first Archive set).

Which brings me to my question here...Were "Mad Man Moon" or "A Trick Of The Tail" ever played live?

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »
I would bet that "Mad Man Moon" was not.  It required a lot of keyboard work to happen in real time, which Tony was actually not fond of doing, and as mentioned upthread, there's almost nothing for the guitarist to do.

I don't know about "A Trick of the Tail".  It was a shorter song and actually had a video, so that would seem to indicate that the band considered it one of their more accessible songs, but I don't know of any live recordings of it.

Hmm, so actually I don't know about either one.   ::)

Edit: I just dug through a dozen or so bootlegs, including 1976, 1978, and 1980, and neither of those songs were in there.  They were still playing a lot of Gabriel-era stuff, which we knew, so they couldn't play every single song from the newer albums.  Six out of eight from A Trick of the Tail is a pretty good representation, and I'd bet that those other two just weren't played.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:15:20 PM by Orbert »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »
I am pretty sure I once read or heard that Mad Man Moon has never been played live, but I cannot remember where. 

But for those of us who are fans of both Genesis and Neal Morse, I always think that the verses to Mad Man Moon are one of the Genesis sections that had a massive influence on Neal.  He channels that vibe a lot, especially when having sections where it is just him singing over a piano.

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:28 PM »
When I first started listening to Genesis, I was sort of a Gabriel snob, and I really shortchanged myself by not giving the post-Gabriel era enough of a chance for too long. Now--and I mentioned this earlier in he thread--my top three Genesis albums are SEbtP, followed by this one and W&W in no particular order. (I guess that makes me a Hackett snob now!)

I have a tough time picking between this one and W&W, and I move back and forth between then pretty regularly. This is a very sloppy generalization, but while they're both very much Tony albums, I sort of see W&W as a little bit more keyboard-drenched. Love the compositions top to bottom on both albums.

Incidentally, my daughters (age 8 and 6) love Genesis, and regularly request to listen to them in the house. This album is probably their favorite, which speaks a bit to the strength of the vocal melodies here.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »
That's awesome!  I have a son and daughter myself, and have done what I can to introduce "good music" to the next generation.  You know, as opposed to the stuff they will inevitably be exposed to via TV, the radio, and their friends.

A couple of years ago, our schedules worked out so that once a week, I'd pick up my daughter from the skating rink, have dinner with her, then drop her off at home while I went back to work for a while.  I'd recently picked up the first two Genesis box sets and was working through them, and while driving in the car, I'd give her the booklet so she could read the lyrics and follow along.  She thought things like "Get 'Em Out by Friday" and "Harold the Barrel" with the different characters were really cool.  Different from the stuff she'd listen to in Mom's car.  This was when she was maybe 11 or 12.

One time I picked her up and we grabbed some McDonald's or something, and I asked her if she wanted to sit and eat inside, or in the car, or what.  She said "Let's sit in the car while we eat.  We can listen to Genesis."  Ah!  Success.  I actually got deja vu for a second, because it reminded me of all those times 30 years ago when my college roommate and I would get out of class and try to decide what to do, and the answer was often "Let's go back to the dorm and listen to Genesis."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »
Sorry, couldn't get through The Lamb lies down on Broadway. So I decided to stop it halfway through and put on A Trick of the tail, and that's more like it!

This album is excellent. It has everything about Genesis I've grown to love, except for Peter's vocals, but Phil does an exceptional job. Favorites: title track, Dance on a volcano, Entangled, Mad man moon, and the massively underrated Robbery, assault & battery.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »
The strangest thing happened this week when I listened to A Trick of the Tail from start to finish, thanks to this thread: I sat there thinking, "This might be their most consistent album to date." Every song is a winner (even the least best songs); it doesn't have a More Fool Me, The Waiting Room or Your Own Special Way.  Granted, its highs might not be as high as The Cinema Show or In the Cage, but track to track, it is amazingly consistent. :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »
It is very consistent.  That's one of the things I love about this album, it's so strong from start to finish.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »
While I like Wind And Wuthering from this era more, because its highs are so high, I am willing to admit that Trick of the Tail is easily the band's most consistent album in terms of quality. It never sinks below good. It's just a consistent and solid album, in a good way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Genesis: Wind & Wuthering (1976)
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »
Genesis: Wind & Wuthering(1976)

Back cover

Tony Banks - Keyboards
Phil Collins - Vocals, Drums, Percussion
Steve Hackett - Guitars, Kalimba, Autoharp
Mike Rutherford -  Bass, Bass Pedals, Guitars

Eleventh Earl of Mar (Banks, Hackett, Rutherford)
One for the Vine (Banks)
Your Own Special Way (Rutherford)
Wot Gorilla? (Collins, Banks)
All in a Mouse's Night (Banks)
Blood on the Rooftops (Hackett, Collins)
"Unquiet Slumber for the Sleepers..." (Hackett, Rutherford)
"...In That Quiet Earth" (Banks, Collins, Hackett, Rutherford)
Afterglow (Banks)

----------

This album is much like the sophomore efforts from many bands.  With the debut album, you have to grab your audience from the start, keep their attention, show them what you can do, and prove that you are worthy.  Following the loss of lead singer and founding member Peter Gabriel, that is exactly what Genesis had to do with A Trick of the Tail, and they did an admirable job.  This album, then, allowed them a bit of breathing room in that they'd established themselves and could now, to some extent, stretch out a little bit.  But they also had to provide a follow-up which was at least comparable to the debut, otherwise the debut would be seen as a fluke, a one-off.  Most Genesis fans agree that Wind & Wuthering is a worthy successor to A Trick of the Tail (and many even prefer it).  These two albums are more alike than any two since Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, and for one obvious reason: They are the two albums which feature the four-piece lineup of Banks, Collins, Hackett, and Rutherford.

As was pointed out upthread, the instrumental-to-vocal ratio on this album is pretty high, probably the highest of any Genesis album.  There are three bona fide instrumental tracks, and of course the instrumental sections on four of the other six songs.  Track 3, "Wot Gorilla?", was primarily Phil's composition, based on a riff from Tony's "One for the Vine" and likely inspired by Phil's recent work with jazz-fusion band Brand X.

Tracks 7 and 8 were originally a single piece, but according to Tony they were split so as to give Steve more writing credits.  As the most prolific writer in the band, Tony seemed aware that his name would dominate the credits, now that tracks were credited to individuals and no longer to "Genesis".  Steve, on the other hand, was never a huge contributor in terms of writing.  This is partly due, however, to the democratic process within the band.  It is known that there were pieces submitted by Steve that were not particularly popular with the rest of the band, and it can be assumed that there were pieces he submitted which were voted down altogether.  Also, Steve has cited this as one of the reasons why he left Genesis.

It is interesting, then, that this album and A Trick of the Tail both start with Steve playing what would become classic hook lines.  His sinister "Eleventh Earl of Mar" riff opens this album just as his 7/8 "Dance on a Volcano" hook opened the previous one.  All previous Genesis albums opened either with Tony's keyboards or Peter singing a capella.  (The sole exception was Nursery Cryme , which began with Tony and Mike together playing an F# riff actually written by Anthony Phillips before he left the band.)  It is almost as though the band was embarassed by how little spotlight was given to Steve during this time, and did what they could to help him out.  There is more lead guitar from Steve on this album than on A Trick of the Tail, and Steve appears in the writing credits a bit more.  Then there is his beautiful acoustic guitar solo which serves as the intro to "Blood on the Rooftops", a song that he and Phil wrote together.  In the end, however, Steve felt stifled by working in Genesis, and after finishing out the Wind & Wuthering tour, he announced his resignation from the band.  And then there were three.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:15:29 PM by Orbert »

Offline The Letter M

Re: Genesis: Wind & Wuthering (1976)
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
Absolutely LOVE this album, and every track on it. Still think it was a crime (cryme?) that they omitted "Inside And Out", and as many would say, they replace "Your Own Special Way" with it in their own mixes, although I really do like YOSW very much. It's a touching ballad and probably one of their best ballads, and I think it says a lot that the band played it as late as their Abacab Tour (IIRC).

My own special mix of W&W includes the three Spot The Pigeon EP:
Eleventh Earl Of Mar
One For The Vine
Your Own Special Way
Wot Gorilla?
Inside And Out
All In A Mouse's Night
Pigeons
Blood On A Rooftop
Match Of The Day
Unquiet Slumber For The Sleepers...
...In That Quiet Earth
Afterglow

It's a great 64:24 long album, and I actually really do enjoy the campy-ness of "Pigeons" and "Match Of The Day", a bit of a callback to tracks like "Harold The Barrel".

The closing trilogy of tracks are some of my favorite closers of any album, especially Genesis albums! I would rank it up there with "The Cinema Show/Aisle Of Plenty", "Los Endos", "Duke's Travels/Duke's End", "Fading Lights", and of course "Supper's Ready" (well, from Apocalypse In 9/8 to the end). There's some great playing (especially the keyboard parts) in "In That Quiet Earth", and I love how they reprise themes from "Eleventh Earl Of Mar", something they did back on SEBTP and ATOTT, and would do again with Duke. I also enjoy that "Wot Gorilla?" uses a theme from the middle of "One For The Vine"!

-Marc.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:40 PM »
Ahh, Wind & Wuthering.

This album has a bit of a personal meaning to me beyond my love of it as a Genesis album-since this thread began, I have gone through their entire body of work, trying to rank it as a whole, and I keep getting W&W as my favorite-because it was part of a murderer's row of albums I bought with my very first paycheck when I graduated high school. I was bumming around, not doing much of anything-I'd right fucked myself out of going to college due to sheer laziness in my senior year, and, yes, I'd love to go back in time to the start of my senior year and punch my younger self in the face and tell him to knock it off-and my dad, who worked for a construction company, offered me a job as unskilled labor. My dad had said for years that he wished he'd never gotten into construction and that I should avoid it at all costs. I went to tell him that, when a voice in my head said "but Jack! If you have a job, you can buy all those expensive double albums you like! Like Pink Floyd's The Wall!" I agreed with that voice, and said to myself, it's probably just a summer time job anyway!

I went to work, and my first week was right memorable. The night before my first payday I went to a friend's keg party at the beach, which meant I greeted the next morning with a purely stunning hangover. I dragged myself to work, got paid, and actually got off early. I went home, took a nap, and later that evening I hit the local mall, descending on the nearest record store with a vengeance. I walked out of there with the following albums: Misplaced Childhood by Marillion, Pink Floyd's The Wall, Yessongs by Yes, and Seconds Out and Wind and Wuthering by Genesis. If you're gonna start blowing money on albums, GO BIG. But that's one of the reasons why I am so fond of Wind & Wuthering. I'd love to tell you I took that pile of albums home and went straight for the Genesis, but I'd be lying. I spent the next week or so utterly hypnotized by Misplaced Childhood.  :lol

As for the album itself-another reason I love it so is the simple fact that One For The Vine is my favorite Genesis song. Regardless of era. It's pretty much a masterpiece of playing for Tony Banks, who does so much on the song it's ridiculous. In a lot of ways, it cements the sound Banks went for over the first couple of albums the band did as a trio. Despite being nearly 10 minutes long, sonically it would fit in perfectly on either ATTWT or Duke. It goes in so many directions, laying out its circular story perfectly. I love the recurring guitar/piano motif that goes through the song, and especially love the instrumental sections of the track, especially the first one, where the music builds up until it EXPLODES in one of the best sections the band ever did. It's one of the best vocal performances Phil does with the band as well, and everything else is solid as well. And that piano at the end is magnificent. One For The Vine isn't just my favorite Genesis song, it's my favorite by a great distance.

The rest of the album is pretty good too. The instrumentals are all fairly varied and interesting. I loved how on the 83 tour the band added ...In That Quiet Earth to the In The Cage Medley, it's got a good driving riff and some nice soloing by Tony. Eleventh Earl Of Mar makes a strong case for being the best opening song Genesis ever did, which given how well they opened their albums is saying a lot, and I still air drum to it today. Two things that are striking about the album is how instrumental heavy it is, but also how ballad heavy it is. Your Own Special Way, Blood On The Rooftops, and Afterglow are all ballads, or at least "ballad-esque." I have no problem with Your Own Special Way, as Genesis ballads go its nowhere near as saccharine as their 80s ballads. And I love All In A Mouse's Night, which reverts a bit to the quirky character styled stories of the Gabriel era. Always loved the last bit with the cat trying to explain how he got knocked out, inventing a monster mouse to cover up how he knocked a jar onto his head. I've always approached Afterglow at a bit of a distance, since I went backwards through the band's discography, which for the longest time made the definitive version of the song the one on Three Sides Live, but it's still a great way to close out the album. Even if it doesn't have Phil and Chester Thompson playing those monster fills at the end.   :lol

Hackett does get to do a little more on this album-he's not quite as invisible as he was on parts of Trick-but looking back with the benefit of hindsight it was obvious he wasn't happy. A shame, really, but the band does carry on with admirable fashion after he leaves. Wind & Wuthering is a fantastic album, and it bridges effectively the purer prog era with the sounds the band was going to start making on their next three albums. I've loved it since I got around to listening to it that summer-and despite that being decades ago, I'm STILL in construction, so that turned out to be a bit more than a summer job for me-and I just find it to be the perfect Genesis album.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
And I somehow quoted myself. Disregard this post  :rollin