Author Topic: Genesis Discography  (Read 54814 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Genesis Live (1973)
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »
Seconds Out was mostly from the Wind & Wuthering tour, with a little bit from the A Trick of the Tail tour.  It's basically a chronicle of the four-piece era, after Peter had left but while Steve was still in the band.

Marc is correct; until the Genesis Archive 1 came out, there was no other official live material with Peter.  And sadly, Peter insisted on overdubbing some of the vocals on the live material, so in my opinion, they're "tainted".  Overdubbing over 20 years later?  His voice doesn't even sound the same.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »
It's entirely possible that I was thinking of Peter's solo live album. :loser:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
Genesis Live was purchased out of sync with my buying Genesis albums backwards and was actually the last Gabriel album I bought because it was live, and only a single live album to boot by a band I already owned two double live albums by, so why bother? But on the day I bought GTR's sole album (there's GTR again, Orbert!), I saw an import copy of Genesis Live in my local record store and said, what the hell, it'll complete the set.

I was rather silly as a younger man.

These days, getting Genesis with Gabriel live is pretty easy to do. Hell, there's complete versions of Supper's Ready with Gabriel singing floating around on Youtube. But for the longest time, this was the sole document of Genesis live with Peter Gabriel, and it is a totally ripping one in fact. Yes, it's lacking Supper's Ready, which had it been on the album would have made it the best prog rock live album of the 70s, but what is left is brilliant. Genesis might have been a theatrical band in terms of presentation in concert with Gabriel, but they smoked as musicians live. This is an awesome live document of a great period for the band. If only it could have been a double live album. Returning to it now, with my new found appreciation for The Knife, man, does Phil totally KILL it on drums. There's some parts where it sounds like he's playing fast double bass, but with only one foot. Man, Phil's such an underrated drummer.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:24:11 PM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Yeah, I love this version of "The Knife".  I think my favorite part is the great ad-libbing by Peter on flute, which is pretty rare.  I was listening to the live version of "Supper's Ready" from this show, and there's a lot of flute in there, too.

Nowadays there's YouTube and other "long lost" video sources, but back in the 70's, this is all we had.  You had to imagine Peter and his costumes, acting out the parts, while the rest of the band sat and played.  What I'd really love to see is a high-quality release of video from the Gabriel era.  As far as I know, there really isn't any.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:07:04 PM by Orbert »

Offline Jaq

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
HD quality of a Gabriel show is one of those holy grail things for me. Pretty sure if it existed it would have turned up by now, so I make due with what I find on Youtube. I suppose if I could tell my younger self that I could someday SEE Genesis play in the 70s live, I would have been too excited to care that it was low def.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »
I think these guys are as close as you are gonna get.

https://www.themusicalbox.net/

(Seriously, if you have the chance, go see them. They are stunning.)
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »

Apparently their current tour may be their last, or so I've heard. They plan on retiring after they wrap up their current tour (which I think is another tour of TLLDOB).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
much like the Yes thread (purchased Tales and Close to the Edge), this one is inspiring me to pick up something from Genesis.  I take it Foxtrot is as good a place as any to start?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2012, 08:54:10 AM »

Apparently their current tour may be their last, or so I've heard. They plan on retiring after they wrap up their current tour (which I think is another tour of TLLDOB).

-Marc.
:sadpanda: I was hoping to see them again. The Lamb was magical.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »
much like the Yes thread (purchased Tales and Close to the Edge), this one is inspiring me to pick up something from Genesis.  I take it Foxtrot is as good a place as any to start?

Definitely.  Each Gabriel-era album is good to excellent, and while there are obviously similarities, each is rather different from the others as well.  The two which are most similar to each other are probably Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, with Foxtrot IMO being slightly better.  But because they are so similar, and Nursery Cryme came first, you might want to start there if you intend to move through the catalogue more or less chronologically.  That's just an option, of course.

The only one I would not recommend starting with, other than the debut (for hopefully obvious reasons), is The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  It's amazing and epic, but also sprawling, self-indulgent, and probably too much to take in all at once, especially for starters.  Any of the others would be fine.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »

Definitely.  Each Gabriel-era album is good to excellent, and while there are obviously similarities, each is rather different from the others as well.  The two which are most similar to each other are probably Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, with Foxtrot IMO being slightly better.  But because they are so similar, and Nursery Cryme came first, you might want to start there if you intend to move through the catalogue more or less chronologically.  That's just an option, of course.

The only one I would not recommend starting with, other than the debut (for hopefully obvious reasons), is The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  It's amazing and epic, but also sprawling, self-indulgent, and probably too much to take in all at once, especially for starters.  Any of the others would be fine.

What he said, but when I started, I started with getting Trespass and Nursery Cryme first, and THEN got Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound. If you can only get two at a time, I'd suggest doing it this way if you like going chronologically. If you can get 3 at once, get NC/FT/SEBTP. And if you can get all 4, go for it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »

Sure - though, you could probably just as well start with Nursery Cryme or Selling England By The Pound.

I also would NOT recommend starting with The Lamb, simply because you need proper context first.  Even though it IS my favorite of the Gabriel era albums, I'd say to familiarize yourself with Foxtrot (or whatever you decide to get first) and THEN dive in.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2012, 03:39:50 AM »
Seconds Out was mostly from the Wind & Wuthering tour, with a little bit from the A Trick of the Tail tour.  It's basically a chronicle of the four-piece era, after Peter had left but while Steve was still in the band.

Marc is correct; until the Genesis Archive 1 came out, there was no other official live material with Peter.  And sadly, Peter insisted on overdubbing some of the vocals on the live material, so in my opinion, they're "tainted".  Overdubbing over 20 years later?  His voice doesn't even sound the same.

Aye, but it is still a really good collection (I got given it for completing my A-levels), and it is what made me really appreciate The Lamb.

Anyway: back to Genesis Live. I have to admit I've only heard this one a couple of times, as I generally tend to stick to studio stuff, but I do like to give live albums a blast to see what they're like. I do remember this album being really good (well, of course, it starts with Watcher and has The Musical Box on it). That said, I do have to admit, I would have liked the album more if it were to have Can-Utility on rather than Get 'Em Out By Friday. I just enjoy the middle section a hell of a lot more, but GEOBF is still pretty awesome.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2012, 03:51:58 AM »
I'm not really into live albums overall, so I haven't given this that many spins. I can't really argue about what's included, more than what ISN'T included. I would have loved to see more songs, like Supper's Ready, Harold The Barrell, and some songs from Trespass (Looking For Someone, White Mountain).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2012, 04:28:23 AM »
^ Harold The Barrel gets not enough love.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2012, 04:43:02 AM »
He just can't jump.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2012, 04:51:10 AM »
Said you couldn't trust him, his brother was just the same.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:30 AM »
His shirt's all dirty.  There's a man here from the BBC!

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
What I'd really love to see is a high-quality release of video from the Gabriel era.  As far as I know, there really isn't any.

The 1973 Shepperton film is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74

Its history:
https://www.planetnana.co.il/shepperton/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:38:37 AM by ddtonfire »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2012, 10:28:39 AM »
Wow, thanks! I'll watch it later :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »
Wow!  Thank you for that.  I think I've seen that footage before, but not at this quality.  Man, I feel like burning that to a DVD or something.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »

Interestingly enough, Lamb was my very first Genesis album.  I think it also helped that before getting to it, I was also in the midst of drowning in the amazingness that was Transatlantic's first two albums.

As for this live record, my only comment is this:  holy fuckballs, the musicianship is crazy good.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
If you're okay with epics and extreme prog (whatever that means) then The Lamb can work as a starting point.  But you have to admit, starting with the double concept album really doesn't work for most people.  Also, it is musically atypical of that period of Genesis.  Gabriel-era Genesis had lots of longer songs, mini-epics if you will, but mixed them up with shorter songs, almost vignettes.  The Lamb is a series of scenes, some of which have been fleshed out into full-blown songs, but mostly vignettes.  Also, the song-to-instrumental ratio is much higher because there's so much story to tell.  I consider it a masterpiece, their apex, but I never recommend anyone start with it.  It's too much, too over-the-top.  Most people have to work up to it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
As for Genesis Live, yeah, those guys were animals.  I was listening to the "Supper's Ready" again (seriously, everybody should download this) and it was just blowing me away what these guys could do live.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
What I'd really love to see is a high-quality release of video from the Gabriel era.  As far as I know, there really isn't any.

The 1973 Shepperton film is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74

Its history:
https://www.planetnana.co.il/shepperton/

I am all over this. Thanks!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2012, 03:01:46 PM »
^ Harold The Barrel gets not enough love.
He just can't jump.
Said you couldn't trust him, his brother was just the same.
His shirt's all dirty.  There's a man here from the BBC!

Up at the window
Look at the windooooooooooow

:heart

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
Glad you enjoy it, no prob. Great thread here!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »
I think the best way to describe this performance is HOLY SHIT.  :metal

I'm pretty sure this is the source of the live version of Supper's Ready I've seen elsewhere on Youtube, but, wow, getting to see Genesis live in this timeframe, in this good a video quality...it's like that website about the DVD said, this is the Holy Grail's older brother. Awesome.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2012, 04:33:23 AM »
I saw this article this morning and although not applying to Genesis Live directly, may be of interest...

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec01/articles/retrozone1201.asp

Offline Jaq

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2012, 08:05:59 AM »
I think I learned more about the history of keyboards in prog rock from that one article than I have in all my time following the genre.  :lol Also, so THAT'S how Jon Lord got his sound!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2012, 08:37:12 AM »
Ditto that, incidentally, I gave Live a blast again today. It was way better than I remembered.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2012, 10:01:51 AM »
Thanks for that article, Sketchy.  More history about RMI than I really needed, but it did fill in some gaps and explained a few things.  I played an RMI once, sitting in on another guy's rig, and it was pretty cool, but at the time, I wasn't quite ready to just sit down on a moment's notice and make the most of it (actually I was too intimidated to mess with his rig too much), so I stuck to the basic piano sound.

The reason why RMI (and Hohner and others) could get away with such crappy piano sounds was because, for the most part, they didn't actually have to sound like pianos.  All they had to do was provide a "piano-like" sound to mix in with the guitars and drums.  It was a different texture, vaguely piano-like, and if you ran it through a fuzz box (or just crank the pre-gain) it sounded pretty cool.  Nothing like a piano, but pretty cool. 

I was fortunate enough to find a used Wurlitzer for my first band, later a Rhodes, and finally went with an early Yahama back in my day.  Each of these, IMO, were better choices than the RMI.  We had three Genesis songs in our setlist, but "Firth of Fifth" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" weren't among them, so versatility was more important than a great piano sound.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Genesis: Selling England by the Pound (1973)
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
Genesis: Selling England by the Pound (1973)

Tony Banks - Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Background Vocals
Phil Collins - Drums, Percussion, Vocals
Peter Gabriel - Lead Vocals, Flute, Oboe, Percussion
Steve Hackett - Electric and Acoustic Guitars
Mike Rutherford -  Bass, Bass Pedals, Guitar, Electric Sitar, Cello, Background Vocals

Dancing with the Moonlit Knight
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
Firth of Fifth
More Fool Me
The Battle of Epping Forest
After the Ordeal
The Cinema Show
Aisle of Plenty

----------

The most successful album thus far by the classic five-piece lineup, it reached #3 in the UK and spent a total of 21 weeks on the charts.  It was also the first album to have a single in the charts.  "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" reached #21 on the UK Singles Chart.  Selling England by the Pound seemed to finally pull together the elements which Genesis had been developing separately on the previous albums, while still breaking new ground and taking some chances, resulting in an album with even greater artistic peaks than ever before.

The album opens a capella, for the first time since Trespass.  "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" is the quasi-title track; its refrain contains the line "selling England by the pound", and if one didn't know better, one might think that that is actually the title of the song.  There are many examples of wordplay on this album, including the title itself, which references dividing England and selling it a small quantity at a time, and also the fact that the pound is the standard English unit of currency.  The musical theme introduced in "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" returns in the closing song "Aisle of Plenty" which also contains a number of plays on words.  An "isle of plenty" refers to an island paradise where one wants for nothing; here it refers to aisles in a grocery store.  The lyrics mention Safeway and Fine Fare, two grocery store chains in the U.K., and the phrase "Tess co-operates" likely refers to Tesco and The Co-op, two other grocery stores.

Mike, perhaps the most versatile musician in the band, not only plays bass, bass pedals, and guitar on this album, as he has in the past, but his cello makes another appearance, and he adds electric sitar to his resume, on the single "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)".

Tony has had acoustic piano breaks in the past, but he takes the spotlight here with his magnificent introduction to "Firth of Fifth".  As with other albums from this period, all songs are credited to all five band members, but it's pretty obvious that Tony had a major hand in this one, and Mike and Steve both refer to it as "one of Tony's finest".  The title, by the way, is likely a play on words based on the firth (estuary) of Scotland's River Forth, where it feeds into the North Sea.

Side One of the original LP closed with Phil's second outing on lead vocals, "More Fool Me".  As with "For Absent Friends" from Nursery Cryme, it is a short song with only voice and acoustic guitar.  While "For Absent Friends" was written and performed by Phil and Steve, as their way of introducing themselves (Nursery Cryme was the debut for both of them), "More Fool Me" was by Phil and Mike, who also performed it as a duo on the Selling England by the Pound tour.

"The Battle of Epping Forest" is the longest track on the album and opens what was originally Side Two.  While its title might seem to evoke a battle involving knights and armies, it's actually about territorial gang wars.  More wordplay, perhaps.

A rare Genesis instrumental follows, Steve's composition "After the Ordeal".  A somewhat uneven piece, Peter and Tony were actually against including it on the album.  It was likely included because it was one of Steve's only songwriting contributions this time around.

Another mini-epic "The Cinema Show" follows.  Its two characters are Romeo and Juliet, but these are not Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.  The lyrics, written by Tony and Mike, are instead inspired by T. S. Eliot's "The Wasteland".  After a flute solo by Peter and a reprise of the chorus, the song leads into an extended trio instrumental with Tony, Mike, and Phil.  The trio in 7/8 is a series of musical vignettes by Tony on various keyboards with contrasting sounds.  Genesis would revisit this format several times on later albums ("Second Home by the Sea" from Genesis, "Duke's Travels" from Duke, and "Fading Lights" from We Can't Dance all feature similar sections) but this was the first, and possibly the most interesting due to its unusual time signature.

The instrumental section of "The Cinema Show" switches to 4/4 and, after a few clever modulations courtesy of Tony, falls into a reprise of the opening track titled "Aisle of Plenty", bookending the album.

For the first time, the album features a cover painting not by Paul Whitehead, and not inspired by lyrics found on the album.  Instead, the band commissioned a piece by Betty Swanwick called "The Dream".  With a little imagination, the painting seems to reference bits of "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" but the lawnmower was added at the band's request so as to make the assocation more clear, so it was actually the other way around.

----------

At over 53 minutes total time, this was Genesis' longest album yet, and in some ways its most ambitious.  Many Genesis fans regard it as their favorite, but that is true of pretty much every Genesis album.  They are each so different, with not a weak one in the lot, that it's only natural that each one would have its champions.

Personally, I had a lot of trouble getting into this one.  I recognize its brilliance, but while there's a lot of great work on this album, somehow it never quite comes together for me.  It starts strong, but 5:35 into "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" when it seems to be building up to a big ending to cap off a great instrumental section, it instead downshifts and switches to a quiet, introspective bit that wanders around for another two and a half minutes.

The instrumental "After the Ordeal" just doesn't seem to work.  Everything sounds quite nice, and there's some great guitar work and nice guitar-and-keyboard interplay, but it all feels rather tentative.  Then halfway through, a strong melody on lead guitar finally emerges, making everything up to that point feel like an introduction.  But it doesn't last; instead it falls into refrain which repeats, introduces a few variations, and fades out.  It just seems rather unsatisfying, and I wasn't surprised to learn that Tony and Peter (the band's unofficial leaders) really didn't want to include it.  As much as I like instrumentals, I think the album may have been stronger overall without it.

Part of my problem with this album -- and I freely admit that it's my problem -- is that I picked it up after owning Seconds Out for many years.  While I was thrilled to discover that "Firth of Fifth" had that amazing piano intro in 13/16 (which inspired myself and I'm sure countless other pianists to spend hours learning it by ear) and flute solo by Peter, my reaction to "The Cinema Show" was the exact opposite.  On Seconds out, the 7/8 instrumental makes the 4/4 transition, then switches back to 7/8 and builds up to a great ending.  Here, it seems to fizzle out.  True, the way it segues into "Aisle of Plenty" is actually pretty clever.  But as with the opening track, we get a hint of building up to a big ending, and instead things downshift and honestly leave me feel more than a little unsatisfied.

"I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" is nice enough, but again, I've been spoiled by the live version, with the tambourine dance and that great solo by Steve and its quotes from various other Genesis songs.  Here, it's a single.  Peter says that the band had been trying to write a hit single for a while and finally managed to do it; Tony seems rather embarassed by it and doesn't seem to hold the song in high regard.

"The Battle of Epping Forest" is another song that sounds good on paper (a 12-minute mini-epic) but it just seems to suffer from too many ideas and not enough direction.  There's some great playing and some clever lyrics, but overall it just doesn't gel for me.

Okay time for me to shut up and let others talk about this album.  It's not a bad album by any means, and it even has probably my single favorite Genesis track in "Firth of Fifth".  But other than the debut, it's my least favorite Gabriel-era album.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:03:51 PM by Orbert »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Genesis: Selling England by the Pound (1973)
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »
I love this album, and consider it probably their 2nd best, but I am sometimes surprised that prog fans hold it in such high regard; it is, after all, a mainstay in Prog Archives' all-time top 3.  That seems strange since The Battle of Epping Forest and More Fool Me seem to get dogged a lot (I like the former despite its obvious flaws; I can do without the latter), and you'd think a consensus top 3 prog record would be one almost everyone considers flawless from start to finish (like Close to the Edge).  Then again, maybe it is off of the strength of the three longer songs, which are all undoubtedly fantastic and deserving of any and all praise.  I could easily make the argument that Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show are their two best songs ever. :coolio

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Genesis: Selling England by the Pound (1973)
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2012, 01:18:54 AM »
Ah here we are. My favourite Genesis album and a Top 10 album overall for me. I love everything about it. This was the first Genesis album I got into when I decided to check out their early stuff beyond the later radio hits. Like KevShmev I too consider Firth Of Fifth and The Cinema Show to be their two best songs ever. Steve's solo on Firth is as close to a musical orgasm I've ever gotten. For a long time the only song I've never quite loved on this album is Epping Forest, but I've learned to enjoy it over time.

My ranking:

1. Firth of Fifth
2. The Cinema Show
3. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
4. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
5. More Fool Me
6. The Battle of Epping Forest
7. After The Ordeal
8. Aisle of Plenty

"Can you tell me where my country lies..."