Author Topic: Stone Sour Thread  (Read 6680 times)

Offline RuRoRul

Stone Sour Thread
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
Haven't seen much in the way of posts to lead me to believe there's a lot of fans here, but there are threads for other similar bands so what the hell.

Today is the UK release date of their new album House Of Gold And Bones Part 1, which I'd definitely recommend to anyone who likes anything from this band - and if you've never listened to them, I'd recommend trying it out.

House Of Gold And Bones Part 1 streaming here.

Anyone else like the band? Favourite album / song? Thoughts on the new album?

I've only been listening to HOGAB Part 1 since it first streamed a few days ago, but right I'd say it's probably their best album (although I'm not too familiar with their first one). It's a great listen from start to finish, each song is good and none sound particularly like each other.

Tired is my favourite from the new album (although that could change with time) - my favourites in general are probably Zzyzx Rd., Through Glass, Say You'll Haunt Me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:31:30 PM by RuRoRul »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stone Sour Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
I enjoyed Come What(Ever) May. I haven't listened to the others though.

Favourite song? "30/30-150".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
Haven't listened to these guys for ages, didn't realise they had a new album out.

I enjoyed their first 2 albums, especially Come What(ever) May, but I can't remember a thing about the third album. Will have to give them a listen again soon  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
Really dig their 2nd and 3rd albums.

The 1st has some great songs, but their drummer is just so awful that I never listen to it.

Looking forward to this new one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
I liked "Bother" way the hell back when that single first came out.  Can't say I've listened to anything else from them.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
I liked "Bother" way the hell back when that single first came out.  Can't say I've listened to anything else from them.

Eh. I remember when that song had every 15 year old female slipknot fan getting wet. In fact that song alone made me avoid anything Corey Tayler for quite some time. However I finally listened to their songs that weren't ballads written for the purpose of showing he's more than just a clown in a mask, and I dug it. Thankfully they made a HUGE improvement when they got their new drummer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »
Stone Sour is awesome. I didn't think much of Audio Stinkrecy but their first two albums are great. I never heard anything wrong with their first drummer. He got the job done, but I suppose when you're a drummer, you might hear drumming differently, which I guess is the case with you, Adami. As for the new album, holy shit is it awesome. I was afraid it might suck, but they're back on track, and not trying too hard like with the last album. I can't wait for part 2. Tired is my favorite as well.

Offline Adami

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
Stone Sour is awesome. I didn't think much of Audio Stinkrecy but their first two albums are great. I never heard anything wrong with their first drummer. He got the job done, but I suppose when you're a drummer, you might hear drumming differently, which I guess is the case with you, Adami. As for the new album, holy shit is it awesome. I was afraid it might suck, but they're back on track, and not trying too hard liek with the last album. I can't wait for part 2. Tired is my favorite as well.

Nothing "wrong" with him really. But he was by far the stiffest drummer I've heard. No groove what so ever, no interesting fills or beats, just the most basic stiff beats you can imagine. Every time I heard him play, it felt like he was struggling to do what he was doing (which happened to be beginner level stuff). However once they got Roy or Ray or whatever, it was a world of difference.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
For me, after hearing Shannon Larkin on 3030-150, I wasn't impressed with RoyRay much at all, but on the new album, he's bloody brilliant.

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »
For me, after hearing Shannon Larkin on 3030-150, I wasn't impressed with RoyRay much at all, but on the new album, he's bloody brilliant.

Well I mean he's not like Neil Peart or anything. But given their music, he adds a great deal of spice to it.

And yea, he and Shannon are like drumming twins.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
Corey Taylor knows how to write a solid hard rock song, I'll give him that.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
It seems like I am the opposite of a few people on here. I love the first album to Death. CWEM had a couple good songs but really meh, Audio Secrecy sucked. But This....House of Gold and Bones Part 1, DAAAAAAAAMN. I was not expecting to enjoy this when I got the promo last week. Its very, VERY damn good. I actually literally just got done playing The Travelers on my show a couple minutes ago.

One of the best damn Hard Rock albums of the year!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Online Mladen

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:06 AM »
Audio secrecy was a disappointment after the immensely enjoyable Come what(ever) may. But I'm really looking forward to their new album, being that the two singles kicked some serious ass. I'll try to give it a listen today.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 03:30:38 AM »
Will give a more indepth listen tomorrow, but I liked the first song a lot!  Never really felt very interested in this band but this is good stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 04:47:39 AM »
Audio Secrecy is by far my fav album from them, IMO it's incredible.  Listening to the new album for the second time right now, it's pretty damn good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
I love Audio Secrecy and Come What(ever) May. I only got into the band a couple of years ago even though I was a Slipknot fan since I was 13, love Corey Taylor's vocie and Stone Sour's style of music matched my tastes more than Slipknot's did.

I love Audio Secrecy, it is (or was) my favourite album. I understand it has more accessible songs and soft ones but I have no problem with the fact that nearly every song has a chorus that is really meorable or catchy, and I enjoy most of the ballads. Come What(ever) May is close as it mabe has more of their very best songs like 30/30-150, Through Glass, Zzyzx Rd., but it has songs I find a lot less memorable than anything on Audio Secrecy.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »
Never dug the first album too much, Come What(ever) May was pretty good, but Audio Secrecy IMO is their finest album by far.....Miracles, Threadbare, Unfinished, all great songs. House pt. 1 is great too but it just pisses me off to no end that bands can't even release a fucking double album in 1 package anymore these days.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
My only complaint with the new album would be that My Name Is Allen's verse melodies are the same as 3030-150's, and the pre choruses are the same style too. Other than that the album is awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
I love Audio Secrecy and Come What(ever) May. I only got into the band a couple of years ago even though I was a Slipknot fan since I was 13, love Corey Taylor's vocie and Stone Sour's style of music matched my tastes more than Slipknot's did.

I love Audio Secrecy, it is (or was) my favourite album. I understand it has more accessible songs and soft ones but I have no problem with the fact that nearly every song has a chorus that is really meorable or catchy, and I enjoy most of the ballads. Come What(ever) May is close as it mabe has more of their very best songs like 30/30-150, Through Glass, Zzyzx Rd., but it has songs I find a lot less memorable than anything on Audio Secrecy.

Never dug the first album too much, Come What(ever) May was pretty good, but Audio Secrecy IMO is their finest album by far.....Miracles, Threadbare, Unfinished, all great songs. House pt. 1 is great too but it just pisses me off to no end that bands can't even release a fucking double album in 1 package anymore these days.

I concur with pretty much every word of both of these quotes.

I'm also really digging the new album.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
From what I could remember from a few years back, they were never really my thing. I had Come What(ever) May and really only liked 30/30-150 for some reason. I gave it a spin today, and liked it quite a bit. I'll have to check out the new one, it seems.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Adami

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:57 PM »
New album ain't bad.

I like that it's more aggressive. But it really sounds like....Stone Sour just doing their thing. There wasn't a whole lot of new ground broken here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
Does there have to be new ground?

My motto is: "If it aint broke, don't fix it... Just don't be Disturbed"

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
New album is pretty good, I haven't really delved much into their stuff but definitely solid stuff. Really really liked The Travelers.

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:24 PM »
Does there have to be new ground?

My motto is: "If it aint broke, don't fix it... Just don't be Disturbed"

True. But a lot of this just sounded like ideas they've already covered.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Mladen

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
I'm really enjoying this so far.  :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 02:20:24 AM »
Just had a listen to the new album. Pretty awesome stuff!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »
I've been hearing "Absolute Zero" on the radio lately. Definitely better than the previous singles I remember getting radio play in years past. I'm intrigued.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 07:12:30 AM »
Really good new album, although I like Come what(ever) may the most....

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »
Listening to the new album now. Gone Sovereign absolutely slays.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
The new album is really boring so far IMO.

Every song just sounds like a reworking of a previous stone sour song.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
I LOVE the new record. Stone Sour's finest. "Tired" is downright killer. Most cohesive record they've ever done. The concept is cool (from what I can tell so far), and there's no filler on this disc.

Corey Taylor was right, AIC's Dirt meets PF's The Wall on steroids.

Totally diggin' it.

Influence of a Drowsy God is awesome too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
I LOVE the new record. Stone Sour's finest. "Tired" is downright killer. Most cohesive record they've ever done. The concept is cool (from what I can tell so far), and there's no filler on this disc.

Corey Taylor was right, AIC's Dirt meets PF's The Wall on steroids.

Totally diggin' it.

Influence of a Drowsy God is awesome too.

I agree 100%

The new album is really boring so far IMO.

Every song just sounds like a reworking of a previous stone sour song.

I agree 0%

Online Mladen

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:41 AM »
I didn't expect this album to grow on me this much, it might be even their best album so far, but we'll still see about that. I'm happy that most of the reviews I keep reading are very positive.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
It deserves positive praise, it does indeed grow every listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »
Listening to the new album again today, really good stuff.  Looking forward to part 2 in April. Any of you guys heard the new single, it's definitely more modern but the more I listen to it the more I like it.  It's called Do Me A Favour.