Author Topic: The Def Leppard thread  (Read 3681 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Def Leppard thread
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
Hear's something you don't hear everyday. Def Leppard is looking to take legal action against One Direction because one of their recent tracks is similar to Pour Some Sugar On Me.

https://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/did-one-direction-rip-off-def-leppard-for-new-song/

It kind of sounds like a cover of PSSOM, I don't know but one thing I do know is that I would happily see Def Leppard win over One Direction anyday of the week.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
That article made me listen to a One Direction song of my own free will for the first time of my life...only to hear about 3 seconds and 3/4ths of a chord progression in the chorus that sounded like Pour Some Sugar on Me.  Not sure they have much of a case over that as opposed to something like a full melody like the Satch/Coldplay suit back in 2008. 

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 06:37:27 AM »
One has to laugh at the idea that "One Direction" ripped off Def Leppard, as if any of One Direction could write a song if their hair depended on it. I'm sure they all get songwriting credits here and there in the time honoured tradition of "change a word, take a third", though.

The chorus of the song bears a resemblance to Sugar, but I'd say the verses bear more of a resemblance to The Who's My Generation.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 06:33:55 AM »
THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR ANY FANS OF DEF LEP:
https://www.defleppard.com/albums/slang-deluxe-edition

Their most underated album, and one of their best.
Yes it was different, but this album is 100% pure class!! :metal

Lots of rare tracks and songs versions in bonus.
And the artwork is sooooo beautiful. :tup
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR ANY FANS OF DEF LEP:
https://www.defleppard.com/albums/slang-deluxe-edition

Their most underated album, and one of their best.
Yes it was different, but this album is 100% pure class!! :metal

Lots of rare tracks and songs versions in bonus.
And the artwork is sooooo beautiful. :tup

So, you get more bonuses with the iTunes version than the CD?   :tdwn

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »
Don't care about the itunes version, I already know those tracks (there is very little) and to be honest, they are far from being great, compared to the material of the 2 cds. ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »
Never been a fan of this album.  Definitely in my bottom 3, along with Adrenalize and X.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:48 AM »
Wow...
That means that you consider that "Euphoria" and "Songs from the spark lounge" are better than "Slang"... :yeahright

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
By leaps and bounds.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sylvinception

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 05:28:13 AM »
I just don't get it.

"Euphoria" and "SFTSL" are shit albums. :yeahright

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 07:05:44 AM »
I think you're doing Def Leppard wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
I haven't really been into DL for a very long time.   But I just had to jump in and defend Euphoria.   I thought that was their best album since Pyromania.  (My like for Hysteria is more of a guilty pleasure)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
But I just had to jump in and defend Euphoria.   I thought that was their best album since Pyromania.

I would put Hysteria and Retro-Active ahead of it, but yeah, I feel similarly.  My top 3 are HND, Pyromania, and Hysteria (awesome 3-album run, by the way), and I'm not even sure which order I would rank them in.  Retro-Active would follow closely behind at #4, and Euphoria closely behind that at #5.  Then there is a dropoff to me where I would put the "okay" albums (On Through The Night and Sparkle Lounge) and then a dropoff to the "do not like" albums (Adrenalize, Slang, and X). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:16 PM »
I haven't really been into DL for a very long time.   But I just had to jump in and defend Euphoria.   I thought that was their best album since Pyromania.  (My like for Hysteria is more of a guilty pleasure)

I'm an old DL (HnD era) fan too, and Euphoria was stongly suggested for someone like me, being someone that swore off DL ages ago.

Man, did it suck..

I'm sorry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 05:02:45 PM »
I haven't listened to anything other than HnD, Pyro and Retroactive in ages.   If memory serves correct my fave tracks from the Euphoria era were the ones that didn't make the cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M62PWvWGec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JsUIEfbIRg

I like the line at the start of Burnout  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
For me, Hysteria will always be on top. There just isn't a song I don't like on there. I also think it sounds the best of all their albums.

I used to hate Adrenalize, but I gave it a second chance and one by one it grew on me. There are still two songs on there I don't listen to, but I like the rest. I found that it seemed to follow the natural progression of their sound from HnD -> Pyro -> Hysteria -> Adrenalize. Adrenalize is where it becomes too a bit too poppy for me though, which is why I rank it lower.

Euphoria is a good album with a couple bad songs on it IMO. A lot of the songs sound like classic Def Leppard, and then there is some 90s pop songs stuck right in between. It also suffers from a bad mix I think. I would love to remix that album. All of the sounds are there, but they aren't in balance with each other like they should be. Perhaps that may just be a product of the times.

For their recent output, I don't know. I just don't like how it sounds. Some songs on Sparkle are ok, but to me they sound like standard rock songs (and instrument sounds) with some Leppard elements thrown in. That's why I'm not excited at all about them starting to record a new album. When I think of Def Leppard I just can't get past that huge 80s sound. Somehow I doubt that any new release will have that.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
When I think of Def Leppard I just can't get past that huge 80s sound. Somehow I doubt that any new release will have that.

Vivian has said as much in recent days - they're laying down a few tracks and doing it very raw/live for the first time in eons
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »
Just got Viva Hysteria on Blu Ray and it's really awesome. Great performance and the Ded Flatbird tracks were great especially all the High n Dry stuff.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
Song from new album I happened to stumble across.

https://soundcloud.com/defleppard/01a/s-JSOoc

avenuex.bandcamp.com