Author Topic: The random thoughts thread.  (Read 115676 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The random thoughts thread.
« Reply #735 on: February 14, 2014, 03:45:32 AM »
You know what would be more romantic than a gift on Valentines' Day ?

A gift on ANY OTHER DAY.

:P ;D

Kotowboy, the lady killer!

Same deal with Christmas. It's all well and good to be generous and kind in the designated time period, but it's more meaningful when it's unprompted and spontaneous.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: February 14, 2014, 05:56:17 AM »
Its funny / lame how many people actually get properly miserable on Valentine's Day if they're single :lol.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: February 14, 2014, 05:56:45 AM »
I am so omniscient; if there were to be two omnisciences, I would be BOTH!!

Woah, chill man !

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #738 on: February 14, 2014, 10:43:46 AM »
Its funny / lame how many people actually get properly miserable on Valentine's Day if they're single :lol.

Makes me the happiest motherfucker around. I truly abhor this useless fuckin' day, and since every swingin dick and gaping twat is gonna be swooning over each other because there was a massacre some-odd years ago and they've decided to follow that tradition by finally showing some love to one another and/or meaninglessly buying shit for one another...I'll be stuck serving their happy asses all day...

Now, despite that vehement rage on account of me being a waiter/bartender on this horrid day, I actually am so very happy I'm single for this day of dipshits. No meandering, no two-faced swoonings that last a day, none of the bullshit that comes along with it, and especially no spending absurd amounts of money simply because this half-retarded nation deemed it so. Halle-fuckin-luiah. Now if this day could just be over and I have my paycheck, I'd be all dandy. *Deep breath, chugs red bull* LET'S DO IT! STORM THE BEACHES OF THE LOVERS!

Now, the thought I'll be thinking when I go into work: "I wonder how many of these mofos know how full of shit they are?"

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: February 14, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »
It's like - if you buy your wuv'd wun a gift today - it means less than if you'd bought it a week ago - THAT would have been unexpected and romantic.

Today it's just like - well here you are. Cool thanks.

And if you don't buy anything - that somehow means you don't give a shit :lol

It's like in The Simpsons when they invent "Love Day" because they're not selling enough crappy cards or stupid love paraphernalia.

" happy love day ! but we already have valentines day ! "

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: February 17, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
Does anyone actually care if a band is "relevant" or not ?

Bands make music. They write songs / they record albums / they tour that album.

Who gives a shit if that music is RELEVANT or not ?

To me - saying something like " Oh U2 should split up " should only apply if it's pretty much universally accepted from both fans and non-fans that their last few albums

were all awful or they keep doing projects that nobody likes or lose money. Metallica for instance.

Nobody gave a crap about Lulu , the 3D movie or the Antarctica gig and their last album was 6 years ago let alone their last GREAT album.

So what does being relevant actually MEAN ?

I couldn't care less about Metallica being relevant or not -  just that since 2000 - they've put out ONE album that's at least "decent" -

- one album that is pretty much slated across the board and a shitload of vanity projects that nobody asked for or made money.

Discuss.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #741 on: February 17, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »
oikos banana cream yogurt isnt as good as i was hoping

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: February 17, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »
To me - saying something like " Oh U2 should split up " should only apply if it's pretty much universally accepted from both fans and non-fans that their last few albums

were all awful or they keep doing projects that nobody likes or lose money.

As far as I'm concerned, statements like that are pretty much always bullshit.  As long as a band wants to keep making music together, they should keep making music together, and if everybody else hates it, that's everybody else's problem.  Of course, if nobody buys the music, the band probably won't be able to afford to keep making music for very long, but that's another matter.  No artist should ever feel obligated to stop just because some people don't like their art. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: February 17, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
Yes that's sort of what I was getting at but veered away from :lol

Who's to say when a band should call it quits ?

Being in a band is their *job* - and as long as they're making a tidy profit and can afford to keep doing it - then so be it.

When nobody comes to the shows or buys the records anymore and your extra curricular activities all lose money - it's probably time to call it a day.

But as long as you can afford to keep doing what you do - then who the fuck cares whether or not you are "relevant" ?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: February 17, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
Yep.  If a guy wins the lottery and decides to retire and spend the rest of his life releasing terrible albums, more power to him.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: February 17, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
I know I do - I just haven't won the lottery :neverusethis:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »
Four? Why do I need to take four of them?!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #747 on: February 18, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
I'm sorry Ma'am but you not able to get your landlord to fix your lights is NOT a security issue.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #748 on: February 18, 2014, 11:52:26 PM »
Sure, you didn't like your steak.

THAT'S WHAT YOU ATE OVER HALF OF IT YOU SLOPPY CUM FILLED TWAT.

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: February 19, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »
It's funny how people will watch a sequel without prejudice but a brand new version gets a no-no immediately.

I wonder how people would feel about the new Robocop movie if it was Robocop 4.

People automatically assume that a completely new movie will be worse than a direct sequel to the original.

However - imo the new movie is great and Robocop 3 was awful. Yet people would rather there was a sequel to 3 than a whole new movie which

is largely totally brand new.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #750 on: February 19, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »
Fuck anxiety.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
Fuck anxiety.

Yep. I have it really bad.  :D

Can't do group interviews with more than 4 other people or I forget how to speak.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #752 on: February 19, 2014, 05:36:16 PM »
That sucks dude.

Mine seems purely physical. Shortness of breath, numbness all over, a sort of dizziness. Not sure what triggers it, if anything at all.

I've been combating it by asserting confidence that anxiety ain't shit. Holy hell it helps a lot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: February 19, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
I can put on a facade up to a point - usually when it involves doing something which I think is remedial " for fun " or speaking in front of a crowd etc etc..

Wait that's not the word I was thinking of... Dang it. It's gone now. :s

Oh - what's the word when you do group activities that they say " are fun " - but they're ridiculously simple and make you feel stupid and awkward...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: February 19, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
It's funny how people will watch a sequel without prejudice but a brand new version gets a no-no immediately.

I wonder how people would feel about the new Robocop movie if it was Robocop 4.

People automatically assume that a completely new movie will be worse than a direct sequel to the original.

However - imo the new movie is great and Robocop 3 was awful. Yet people would rather there was a sequel to 3 than a whole new movie which

is largely totally brand new.

Most people don't want sequels in that situation either though. People would just rather that good old movies were left alone, because they don't need remaking at all, and would rather Hollywood come up with something original for a change, instead of watering down something good for a new generation of ADD kidlets.

Sequels (especially after long absences) really don't have great reputations either, so I don't believe that there's much more prejudice there. Great movies hit on a magical combination of actors/dynamic/costumes/props/writing/production that isn't going to be recaptured just by recycling the basic idea and adding a new coat of paint to it. It's rarely even recaptured by sequels, and they usually have most of the same elements. The difference is that you know a sequel has most of that potential as a starting point.

I haven't seen the new Robocop yet, so I'm only talking in general here. :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: February 19, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
Would you call Star Trek a reboot or a prequel ?

It's set in the same universe as classic Trek and Nimoy plays Spock Prime - so it's literally in the same universe. He's not doing the reboot thing of popping up as Sarek with

a wink and a nod to the camera - which is a huge mistake that reboots do IMO - it's basically saying " look - here's the original actors to remind you of how good this

was - and how bad this movie is ".

But also at the same time - it's not the same universe as it's quite deliberately an alternate timeline [ primarily to free them up from messing with canon ].

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: February 19, 2014, 08:02:50 PM »
I'd say it's about 95% reboot, 5% sequel (since the parts in the real timeline are later events, and none of the earlier events are prequels to events we've actually seen in previous Trek).
While Spock was tied in pretty well as a pivotal part of the plot, he was still there for the usual reasons. Every reboot does it for the same reason, some just do it better than others.

But that's a discussion for the Trek thread!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #757 on: February 20, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »
So. Flippin. Furious

Dude can say that he can't perform his job because I personally didn't hand him the information that he can find himself - gets pissed that I call him out and say I'm sick of babying him. Emails his boss and my boss about my lack of respect for him because he was a marine?!?!?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #758 on: February 20, 2014, 08:08:56 PM »
Lack of respect because he doesn't deserve it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #759 on: February 20, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »
Fuck the marines. Fuck the army. Fuck the troops.

Save the geeks. Save the nerds. Fuck the jocks. Fuck the prom queens.

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

RIP DTP.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #760 on: February 21, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
Dried cranberries!!!  :o   Holy shit!!!!!!!!  :eek   :eek   :eek   How can this be????????? 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #761 on: March 02, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
Life is strange and complex isn't it? Sometimes we get disappointed or angry because we expect more from a relationship than we have put into it on our end. Not even recognizing we are only getting an equal return on our investment.
On the other hand sometimes we get hurt because we put forth a genuine effort and its not reciprocated back to us on the level we feel we have earned.
Either way, its best not to let stuff like this get the best of you. As hard as anyone tries to be the best they can, at our core we are all flawed.
Accepting that is the best way to have peace.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: March 02, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
I've never seen this episode of Ren & Stimpy before...

... :rollin :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: March 16, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »
Here is one...

Magic is essentially illusion, technique, misdirection and props. It's not real at all. It's fake. We all know this.

I was thinking the other day - what makes a trick a trick ?

If a "magician" on TV uses camera foolery and stooges or even CGI on a tv show - is it any less of a trick ?

Where do you draw the line between a trick using props and stooges and smoke/mirrors or using camera tricks / CGI etc ?

There is no such thing as actual magic so what's to stop anyone having a TV show where they basically just cheat everything in

the edit ?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #764 on: March 16, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »
I was wrong.  You don't actually have tiny dick syndrome... you're actually a massive dick.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: March 16, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
???

Was that in response to my post ? :o

Offline adastra

« Reply #766 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:30 AM »
It always makes you feel kinda uncomfortable when you take a cute girl to your home after a night at the bar.... Aaaaaaand, afterwards you get to know that she is in a relationship..  :facepalm:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: March 19, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »
Why is it that 90% of plotholes I find in TV shows and movies involve the question of "where did they piss and poop?"
Perhaps I'm giving a lot more thought to poop than scriptwriters do.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
That reminds me of that episode of TNG where Picard is kept hostage with three other aliens for x amount of time - probably days - in that one cell.

There's never any mention of anyone needing to relieve themselves.

Same as in Innerspace - Tuck is in that submersible pod for a couple of days and there's no toilet in there.

Movie & TV characters always go extended amounts of time in a situation where they wouldn't be able to relieve themselves.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: March 19, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
That reminds me of that episode of TNG where Picard is kept hostage with three other aliens for x amount of time - probably days - in that one cell.

There's never any mention of anyone needing to relieve themselves.

Same as in Innerspace - Tuck is in that submersible pod for a couple of days and there's no toilet in there.

Movie & TV characters always go extended amounts of time in a situation where they wouldn't be able to relieve themselves.

A lot of the shuttlepods in Trek don't have any toilets, just the front seats and the rear compartment. Likewise with the puddle jumpers in Stargate. Do they just beam the poop directly from their bowels to space?
And I'm just watching a show now where people have been kept hostage in these small clear boxes for days. Where are they pooping?! Do they have to call out to the guards for a potty break?
A lot of hostage situations in general have the same problem.