Author Topic: The GIF Thread, v. Do Over  (Read 314299 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The GIF Thread, v. Do Over
« Reply #3150 on: March 29, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
Why does he need two pens for this? To emulate the broad tip of a proper fountain pen?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3151 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »
Why does he need two pens for this? To emulate the broad tip of a proper fountain pen?

It looks like one pen does the letter and the other pen provides the shadowing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3152 on: March 29, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »
Exactly.  It's a cool technique for getting a shadow effect.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3153 on: April 04, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3154 on: April 04, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
Husband of the year material right there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3155 on: April 04, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
You payed a lot of money for those tickets, you should be watching the game, not your phone. Well deserved
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3156 on: April 04, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
Husband of the year material right there.

He made an effort, it's not his fault he's incompetent.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3157 on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »
Do y'all actually see the gif he posted here? Giphy links stopped working for me a month or so ago. I have to get the URL and go there to see them.

And I was hoping she'd see his hand pulling away and think that he had smacked her.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3158 on: April 04, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
Do y'all actually see the gif he posted here? Giphy links stopped working for me a month or so ago. I have to get the URL and go there to see them.

And I was hoping she'd see his hand pulling away and think that he had smacked her.

I dont have an issue seeing the gifs

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3159 on: April 04, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »
You payed a lot of money for those tickets, you should be watching the game, not your phone. Well deserved

Agreed

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: April 04, 2018, 03:19:58 PM »

Agreed

To be fair, the girl next to her is showing her something on her phone (so she is not looking at her own phone, in fact doesn't even have anything in her hands).  If any of you were in that situation, would you say "no I'm not looking because I bought these expensive tickets?" 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3161 on: April 04, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
It'd be funny if she was showing her a stream of the game... "look Carla, we're on TV...."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3162 on: April 04, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »
It'd be funny if she was showing her a stream of the game... "look Carla, we're on TV...."

:lol :lol

"look Carla, we're on TV... SHIT!!!"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3163 on: April 04, 2018, 06:04:49 PM »
I like the player at the bottom just noping right on  out of there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3164 on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »
I had floor seats to a couple Sonics games, second row back under the hoop. Fun stuff. We could hear Gary Payton talking trash. My friend caught the ball once when it went out of bounds. The rest of us wanted him to pass it down so we could all touch it. The ref hollered at him to pass it back in.

Carry on with the gifs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3165 on: April 04, 2018, 06:30:41 PM »
I can tell you that on the rare occasion I take in a baseball game I know to pay very close attention when a ball is hit. At the same time I know it's impossible to do that for the entire game. A couple of beers. A girl in tight shorts. A guy hawking ice cream. Interaction between fielders. A girl in tight shorts. Mindless stats on the jumbotron. Clouds in the sky. A ballgame is full of distractions.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3166 on: April 05, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3167 on: April 05, 2018, 07:32:31 AM »
That's pretty cool.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3168 on: April 05, 2018, 06:56:12 PM »
That is mesmerizing

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: April 06, 2018, 08:30:10 AM »

Power line fell on a metal swingset and shorted out a nearby fence, causing the entire thing to become charged enough to burn the grass around the entire yard.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3170 on: April 06, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »
Damn!!  :omg:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3171 on: April 06, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
I suspect this is actually moisture evaporating. I think what's happening there is that the ground is wet, and so the current goes mostly through the part of the fence that is close to the power line. However, it boils the water, leaving that section dry and non-conductive, so the current now goes through a section further away. That section evaporates etc etc
So, you get this moving effect.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3172 on: April 06, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »
And (a bit more additional science from your resident electrician).

Electricity is NOT ....NOT....trying to get to "ground".    Electricity will take all the paths it can....to get back to the source.   So once this power line hit the chain link fence, the electricity travels through the fence to get back to the source.  (in this instance, the fence created a pathway to get to the grounded conductors coming from the city....probably through a ground rod buried near the house, which is then bonded to the electrical panel which ultimately is connected to utility conductors. 

And it won't just take one single path of least resistance.  The path with the least resistance just carries the bulk of the potential.  It will take all the paths it can. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3173 on: April 08, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
I always thought it's really sad that essentially everybody who hasn't later try to look it up, is stuck with the phrase "electricity takes the shortest path". It's entirely and patently wrong. As you say, current goes through all paths, but to varying degrees, depending how easy it is to get through. Many times the long path is also the more difficult path and thus the majority of the current goes through the shortest path, but for example the lightning rod is decidedly not the shortest path. It simply is, by a wide margin, the easiest, so almost all current goes through it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3174 on: April 08, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »
I always loved the Good Doctor's explanation.
Electricity is neutral. It doesn't want to kill you, but it will if you give it a chance. Electricity wants to go home, and to find a quick way to get there — and it will.

Electricity is always homesick. It is lonely. But it is also lazy. It is like a hillbilly with a shotgun and a jug of whiskey gone mad for revenge on some enemy — a fatal attraction, for sure - but he won't go much out of his way to chase the bugger down if ambush looks a lot easier.

Why prowl around and make a spectacle of yourself when you can lay in wait under some darkened bridge and swill whiskey like a troll full of hate until your victim appears — drunk and careless and right on schedule — so close that you almost feel embarrassed about pulling the trigger.

That is how electricity likes to work. It has no feelings except loneliness, laziness, and a hatred of anything that acts like resistance...like a wharf rat with its back to the wall — it won't fight unless it has to, but then it will fight to the death.

Electricity is the same way: it will kill anything that gets in its way once it thinks it sees a way to get home quick....

Zaaappp!

Right straight up your finger and through your heart and your chest cavity and down the other side.

Anything that gives it an escape route. Anything — iron, wire, water, flesh, ganglia — that will take it where it must go, with the efficiency of gravity or the imperative of salmon swimming upriver.... And it wants the shortest route — which is not around a corner and through a muscle mass in the middle of your back, but it will go that way if it has to.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3175 on: April 08, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: April 09, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »
 :lol I'm glad that one had an ending because I was getting annoyed by the fact that that should be closing cause the box isn't blocking it then was like "damnit, I got caught in one of those never ending gifs"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »

Intersection in Ethiopia with no traffic lights (Meskel Square, Addis Abeba).

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3178 on: April 10, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »
And I bet you they drive much better than anyone in Europe or in the West.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3179 on: April 10, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
Not to say ^^ is a reliable "system"  :lol but if everyone paid the same amount of attention in traffic like probably most of those drivers (because my butt would surely be clenched) instead of assuming every other driver follows the rules and traffic signs I think less accidents would happen.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »
It's almost like the idea that football players would be safer without Helmets.  It seems to make no sense, but then when you think about how everyone would be play much different to protect their heads, you can kind of see how it might make sense.

That does look pretty crazy though, I wonder if there's a comparison to how often/bad the accidents are.  I certainly wouldn't trust driving the roads I do without rules though. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3181 on: April 10, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
There needs to be a live stream of that intersection. I could watch that for hours. It'd be less thrilling at normal speed, though.

And there's some very good driving going on there. I was watching the pedestrians, and some of those drivers do a fine job of planning their intersection between groups of them while moving at a pretty good clip.
E.F. Benson

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3182 on: April 10, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
I would like to see it in normal speed but it will probably still look chaotic.

And re: better driving. Ethiopia has five times as much fatal accidents than most european countries. There has to be a reason why this is so.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3183 on: April 10, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »
I would like to see it in normal speed but it will probably still look chaotic.

And re: better driving. Ethiopia has five times as much fatal accidents than most european countries. There has to be a reason why this is so.
Situations like that. Doesn't matter how skilled you are if you're driving through that sort of clusterfuck. I'm just saying they seem to have developed some pretty good skills as a result. It'd be fascinating to see how those drivers would do in other, western countries. I suspect they'd do quite well in Italy. Germany not so much. Here they'd be highly aggressive, but that's not necessarily a problem. I'm highly aggressive and do alright. I'm not sure they'd adapt to situations that had to be highly controlled, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: April 11, 2018, 02:42:25 AM »
Here's a longer video clip of it, instead of a choppy gif.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIn8GJIg0E