Poll

LEAST FAVORITE

Beyond This Life
29 (55.8%)
Finally Free
23 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2012 - SFaM, NOT Train of Thought, Round 7a TIEBREAKER  (Read 2863 times)

Offline jammindude

Beyond This Life is the single greatest song on SFAM, and could very well be the greatest DT song under 12 minutes....EVER. 

Finally Free is a decent enough song.   But it cannot touch the sheer perfection of Beyond This Life. 

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ruba

Offline Rattlehead

I guess BTL is a pretty controversial song  :lol Oh well, I'm sure FF will go next round anyway.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Beyond This Life is the single greatest song on SFAM, and could very well be the greatest DT song under 12 minutes....EVER. 

Finally Free is a decent enough song.   But it cannot touch the sheer perfection of Beyond This Life.

This.

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
I like the songs equally much so here's my reason for wanting BTL to be booted: FF is simply more essential to the album than BTL is. Think of the album without FF, now that would be horrible (I mean, imagine using TSPCO as the final act). But if you remove BTL, it wouldn't make such a big difference, at least not musically for the album as a whole.
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Hi long time no update... Busy busy busy at school.  Grades were due for progress reports on Monday, and its sprit week at school... So things are a little insane.  No breaks.  Ill howfully be able to continue the survivor tomorrow or Friday, because things are settling down.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline robwebster

I like the songs equally much so here's my reason for wanting BTL to be booted: FF is simply more essential to the album than BTL is. Think of the album without FF, now that would be horrible (I mean, imagine using TSPCO as the final act). But if you remove BTL, it wouldn't make such a big difference, at least not musically for the album as a whole.
Ooh, opposite here!

Finally Free is the epilogue, I've always thought. Nicholas has been on a journey, he's learned a lesson, he's jubilant... but then, once the credits have rolled and the lights have gone up, then comes the twist.

The Spirit Carries On is one of the band's signature closers. It's the climax, it's the end of the story. It's Frodo getting his finger bitten off. Finally Free is some hobbits fucking around on a boat. The extra bit. Nice to have, adds a lot of context and wraps up the last questions about what happens to all these characters, (in this case, that they all die horribly,) but the last narrative beat was twelve minutes ago.