Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 73065 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2012, 08:30:41 AM »
The latest run really started with Lionheart. Since then, they've released The Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth, and their most recent, Call To Arms. They are all excellent. Jorge Michael plays drums on Lionheart, but after that Nigel Glockner returns and sounds great.

Also, this past year, they released Heavy Metal Thunder: Eagles Over Wacken. It's a live multi CD/DVD package that kicks absolute ass!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
Really?  Now you tell me  :lol   Alright, any particular stand outs?
I don't have any of the newer albums, but if you check out the Wacken concert (which is awesome, BTW), you'll hear a good sampling. 

I was somewhat disappointed with Denim and Leather after Strong Arm, which was one of those defining albums for me.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as SAotL, and neither came close to P&G.

And I agree with Herr Nekov.

edit:
Also, this past year, they released Heavy Metal Thunder: Eagles Over Wacken. It's a live multi CD/DVD package that kicks absolute ass!
Is that something different than the Wacken dvd they released about 5 years ago?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »

edit:
Is that something different than the Wacken dvd they released about 5 years ago?
TBH I am not sure what was released 5 years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:49 AM »
Saxon is one of the most consistent metal bands ever. Always releasing quality material; if you haven't heard their recent, Call to Arms, do it. Like TAC, I was very happy with DTOE. I would rank it top three DT. Hemispheres is top three Rush for me as well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:02 AM »

edit:
TBH I am not sure what was released 5 years ago.
What I was referring to was a 03 release of their 01 Wacken show.  The new one appears to be a best of 3 latter WOA shows, and a live CD from Glasgow.  I had no idea they played Wacken so often.  Considering they either headline or play late on the main stage every year, I'd say that they're thankfully doing pretty well in places that aren't the USofA. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »
TAC as you might imagine, I don't relate to a lot of stuff on your list... some of it is downright alien to me  ;D.   

Definitely some albums that're off the beaten track, especially the Blackfoot, Heavy Pettin, Armored Saint and Lucifers Friend.   I'm gonna have to check into the Blackfoot, Saxon (not to be confused with Samson  :facepalm:), Gary Moore, F&J and maybe even the Hammerfail!   :eek               
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »
P&G is the best Saxon album for me. Love it. The decline started after that with Crusader etc. Recent albums have been pretty good.

ADTOE is great. Good to see it in a top 50.

Hemispheres is not a great Rush album for me. Side 2 is great but the title track is poor after the awesome AFTK. Shit cliched story too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
TAC as you might imagine, I don't relate to a lot of stuff on your list... some of it is downright alien to me  ;D.   

Definitely some albums that're off the beaten track, especially the Blackfoot, Heavy Pettin, Armored Saint and Lucifers Friend.   I'm gonna have to check into the Blackfoot, Saxon (not to be confused with Samson  :facepalm:), Gary Moore, F&J and maybe even the Hammerfail!   :eek               
Hey LV, nice to see you round these parts! I would tell you to just follow my fave tracks, but knowing you, you'll like every song BUT those! ;D

Heavy Pettin' is NOT for you. Hammerfall is just a celebration of the 80's glory days of metal. I don't know why people don't like them. If anything, I credit them for other 80's bands upping their game, similar to WASP motivating Alice Cooper to come back better than ever in 1986.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
The latest run really started with Lionheart. Since then, they've released The Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth, and their most recent, Call To Arms. They are all excellent. Jorge Michael plays drums on Lionheart, but after that Nigel Glockner returns and sounds great.
The run from Metalhead up to including The Inner Sanctum is pretty great. I wasn't that excited about the last two albums, Call to arms was especially average.

As for the latest update, two excellent albums indeed.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »
I mention Lionheart as the starting point because it is what got me back into Saxon. It was the first Saxon album that I had bought in over 15 years.
I have since filled in my collection and their 90's albums really are terrific.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2012, 06:11:04 AM »
OK, update today. I have the day off so I should be able to pump out a couple.

28. Metallica- And Justice For All (1988)

Funny thing with me and Metallica. When Kill ' Em All came out, I loved it and was a huge fan. Kind of lost track of them for a few years as I didn't think that Ride The Lightning was that great and I couldn't get into Master Of Puppets. In the summer of 88, they released Garage Days Rerevisited with new bassist Jason Newsted. I loved the fun album cover so I took a chance. It had the raw energy of Kill Em All so it really primed me for their upcoming release (Justice) and ultimately got me back into Metallica. I love this album. This came out the week I returned for my junior year of college, and let's just say that my roomate and I partied to this album more than any other that year. Love the long songs and killer riffs. My favorite Hetfield album vocally. I would see this tour 5 times and loved everything about it. Blackened is probably my favorite Metallica song.

Fave tracks: Blackened, Frayed Ends Of Sanity, Dyer's Eve

27. Def Leppard- High n Dry (1981)

Really one of the most influential albums of my musical life. This album still rocks today. It is much heavier than their debut, On With The Night. The predecessor to pyromania, High n Dry has Def Leppard ripping it up. I still listen to this regularly today.  This album took me from my original Big 3 (Van Halen, Rush, AC/DC) and added a new favorite band. Hey, we're talking 7th/8th grade here!     I played this cassette so much, I had to buy a second one! Driving crunching riffs, a great performanc by Joe Elliot, screaming and wailing all over this. This is young, raw, energetic and to me, epitomozes the NWOBHM to me.

Fave tracks:
Let It Go, Mirror Mirror, On Through The Night, Another Hit And Run

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »
So wait, you don't like Master of Puppets?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2012, 06:52:56 AM »
And justice for all is a great album

So wait, you don't like Master of Puppets?

Yeah, what the hell?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2012, 06:57:13 AM »
re: Hemispheres:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »
OK..let me explain. I LOVE Master Of Puppets. After Ride The Lightning came out, I kind of lost touch with thrash and went in a more Maiden/Dio direction. I remember when MOP came out, I had tix to see them open for Ozzy. So I borrowed the album from a friend, and I just couldn't get converted. It was cool and all, but I just didn't connect.
Ozzy cancelled the show I was supposed to go to. So the following summer, I hear that they are releaseing an EP with their new bass player. When I saw the cover, I just thought they looked cleaner, more fun. The photo has this great vibe to it. I was kind of turned off to thrash because, I don't know..Anyway, I bought the EP and loved it.
I would get Justice when it came out, and fell back in love with Metallica from that point on. I then went back and got MOP and RTL (I traded my copy away years earlier).
So to clarify, I was NOT into Metallica when MOP came out. But obviously, MOP is frreaking incredible, and my CD collection would be incomplete without it!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2012, 07:09:01 AM »
 :rollin @Mora

@TAC:  :tup I was starting to think you were crazy
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2012, 07:11:22 AM »
I remember buying AJFA on vinyl. At the time I owned a shitty plastic turntable with really small crappy speakers. When I played it, it almost blew the speakers out, specially the bass/low end. For an album that is famous for it's 'not having any bass on it', I remember it mostly for the bassnotes almost ruining the listening experience for me.

Not long after that I went out and bought me some big ass KEF speakers and a brand new Pioneer turntable...  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2012, 07:13:21 AM »
AJFA is an awesome album.   I still have my vinyl copy from the 80s.

Kinda bittersweet for me, as AJFA marked the turning point from which they went full out with the longer 'proggy' expositions, back to the shorter bluesier songs on TBA and Load (which are excellent albums in their own right, just not at the same level as AJFA).   And I loved those acoustic/classical guitar-inspired preludes leading right into the heavy riffs, but they didn't quite fit into the "Alternica" sound they were going for on Load.   
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »
I was i on the ground floor with thrash when I was a freshman in high school. I had Kill "em All, Anthrax's Fisful, the first Merciful Fate, Tank, etc...But I just fell out of favor with it for the next 3 to 4 years because I really didn't care for the image, content, etc... I liked the music, but...
But the Garage Days EP and Justice, along with a certain Helloween album (more on that later!) would get me back into thrash, and opened the floodgates for bands like Megadeth, Slayer, etc. which I really got into while I was at college.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »
Great choice on Def Leppard. High and Dry is a great rock album.

I'm not a big Metallica fan. Some good tracks on AJFA but the biscuit tin drums killed it a bit.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »
More great picks!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »
I was i on the ground floor with thrash when I was a freshman in high school. I had Kill "em All, Anthrax's Fisful, the first Merciful Fate, Tank, etc...But I just fell out of favor with it for the next 3 to 4 years because I really didn't care for the image, content, etc... I liked the music, but...
But the Garage Days EP and Justice, along with a certain Helloween album (more on that later!) would get me back into thrash, and opened the floodgates for bands like Megadeth, Slayer, etc. which I really got into while I was at college.

You had the first Mercyful Fate??!!    :o
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
@TAC:  :tup I was starting to think you were crazy irretrievably broken as a human being

^This.  Thank goodness.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2012, 08:26:49 AM »

You had the first Mercyful Fate??!!    :o

Yes, I borrowed the album from a kid and made a copy. Probably listened to it a couple times. Lost interest with the image.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
And justice for all is pure awesomeness, I'm always happy to see it in someone's top 50.

I remember trying to get into Def Leppard with High n dry and thinking it was pretty cheesy, and I disliked their next album even more, so I kinda gave up on ever liking them.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
Sadly, Def Leppard would never release anything that was even remotely close to the quality of High -n- Dry, such wasted potential.  Oh, sure, they went on to become mega stars with their bubble-gum pop metal stuff and I'm happy they were successful, but I don't like anything they released after Pyromania, and even THAT one was only about 50% quality.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
Sadly, Def Leppard would never release anything that was even remotely close to the quality of High -n- Dry, such wasted potential.  Oh, sure, they went on to become mega stars with their bubble-gum pop metal stuff and I'm happy they were successful, but I don't like anything they released after Pyromania, and even THAT one was only about 50% quality.
I completely agree!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
26. Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind (1983)

Ok, Iron Maiden finally makes an appearance on my list. This was the first album from them that I was
"waiting" on. How would they follow up The Number Of The Beast was on everyone's mind. The band
definitely delivered. This might be my favorite performance by Bruce Dickinson. He just sounds so young
and powerful here. I love the tone of his voice. New drummer Nicko McBrain kicks off the album in grand
style. I use the beginning of Where Eagles Dare as my ringtone! Dave Murray and Adrian Smith continue to
craft their unique sound. Such classics as Die With Your Boots On, The Trooper, and Revelations. This
album has a ton of character and an endearing sound quality to it, one that I don't think has been matched
in their catalog.

Fave tracks: Where Eagles Dare, Die With Your Boots On, Still Life, Revelations

25. Ozzy Osbourne- Blizzard Of Ozz (1980) and Diary Of A Madman (1981)

Here's a spot where I really couldn't pick one or the other. These two albums are so great.
A little story..I first became aware of Ozzy when I was in the 7th grade. My father taught high school and one
of his students brought in a cassette of Blizzard Of Ozz. Did my father like heavy metal? Hell no. But being
that my last name is Crowley, one of his students thought he might get a kick out of the song. Well, he
didn't...but I DID! This tape was incredible. And for years I thought Diary was even better. Seems as
though Blizzard has caught up with it over time.
Needless to say, I have been serenaded with Mr. Crowley my entire life. It used to be a lot worse when I was
younger, but I get at least one reference a month even today.

Blizzard fave tracks: Mr. Crowley, I Don't Know, Revelation (Mother Earth)
Diary fave tracks: Diary Of A Madman, Over The Mountain, SATO

24. Waysted- The Good The Bad The Waysted (1985) AND Waysted EP (1984)

I am not sure how many people will actually recognize these. Basically Waysted was formed when Pete Way
left UFO to form a band with "Fast" Eddie Clark, who had left Motorhead. Hence the band, Fastway!
Because Chrysalis would not let Pete Way out of his contract (they held the UFO rights), he was unable to
perform with Fastway, although he wrote all of the songs with Clark.
So he would form Waysted. Joining him was UFO alum Paul Raymond on keys and the unknown Fin Moore
on vocals. They realeased Vices in 1983, and even toured with a coveted spot 3rd on the bill on Ozzy's Bark
At The Moon tour along with Motley Crue.
Then in 1984, they landed a spot on Maiden's Enlgish tour. To get some new material out, they released
Waysted, an EP containing 5 tracks. Joining the band for this would be UFO drummer Andy Parker, and
another change in guitarists. This is a great EP and some awesome songs.
In 1985 they would release The Good The Bad The Waysted. The lineup was Way, Moore (vocals) Jerry
Shirley on drums and Paul Chapman from UFO on guitars. An awesome lineup. This would go on to be one
of the most listened to albums of the mid 80's. It's is just good solid hard rock with a little bit of a sleaze
factor courtesy of Fin Moore's vocals, who the best way to describe him would be a Brian Johnson type
that you can actually understand.

Anyway, check ' em out:
Waysted Fave tracks: Won't Get Out Alive, The Price You Pay, Cinderella Boys
TGTBTW fave tracks: Land That's Lost The Love, Manuel, Heaven Tonight, Crazy 'Bout The Stuff
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:52:14 PM by TAC »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
Both Ozzy albums are awesome- I lean more towards Diary personally, except for the abysmal Believer. In fact I prefer Ultimate Sin to Blizzard but all three are great albums. Bark never did it for me though.

Piece Of Mind is great too.

Was never a fan of Waysted but I did like No Sleep 'til Hammersmith era Motorhead briefly back in the day.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
That EP may be one of the greatest album covers ever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
Sorry but I couldn't find a larger print. I actually have it on vinyl!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
Ozzy - like Dio and Priest - was an act that slipped by me.  I never got deep into his stuff.

Maiden - for some unknown reason - I did.  Pound-for-pound, PoM is their strongest and most consistent album.  Not a bad track from start to finish.  Probably the only album of theirs that I can say that for.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »
Sorry but I couldn't find a larger print. I actually have it on vinyl!!!

Probably for the best given the mood bosk is in.   :D ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
^This

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
This list is starting to heat up now!   Not familiar with Waysted, but my ranking of the others are:

Piece of Mind
Diary of a Madman
Blizzard of Ozz

Even though Randy Rhoads gets a lot of attention for the Ozzy albums (and rightfully so), that rhythm section of Kerslake on drums and Daisley on bass were an integral part of that band's sound. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa