Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 72786 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2012, 05:22:51 AM »
Grim Reaper was the headliner. We actually stayed for the first song of their set, but ended up leaving. Honestly, we hadn't planned on staying after Helloween, and certainly not for Armored Saint's full set!
September 24th, 1987.

Interesting.  I would have figured that Helloween would have been the headliner and Grim Reaper would have opened. 

What do you think of the disc, "March of the Saint".  That just might be my favorite from Armored Saint.  I originally bought it because I thought the album cover was cool.

Well, this was Helloween's first time in the states.

I do like March Of The Saint. I remember buying that and the first WASP album on the same ay.
Great tunes like Madhouse, MOTS, and I love Take A Turn. I just think that after MOTS and Delerious Nomad, Raising Fear is significantly better playing wise and writing wise. And it took another step up on SOS.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2012, 05:29:30 AM »
OK, here is today's update. Next one will be Tuesday morning.

37-Dream Theater- When Day And Dream REunite (2004)

I love Dream Theater's first album, except I cannot listen to it. So I was so glad they basically rerecorded it live with James' vocals. I've heard his vocals weren't that strong that night, but they do not take away anything for me. The Killing Hand is a Top 5 (#4) DT song for me. I find the music on this first album more interesting than a lot of their latter day catalog. And the companion DVD is outstanding, especially the encores.

Fave tracks- The Killing Hand, Ytse Jam, Only A Matter Of Time

36.  Kiss- Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Easily my favorite studio Kiss album. Their second album has a raw feel, yet seems a little tighter than their debut. Not much to say really. I love Peter Criss singing Ace Frehley's Strange Ways, which is possibly one of my favorite Kiss songs of all time. But having classics like the title track, Let Me Go Rock n Roll, along side some deep tracks like Coming Home and All The Way, just make this a real endrearing listen from start to finish.

Fave tracks- I just named them!

35. Megadeth- So Far So Good So What (1988)

Ok Ok, with apologies to Rust In Peace, which I may admit is the better all around album, my all time favorite, and that's what we're discussing here, is still SFSGSW. It contains easily my two favorite Megadeth songs, In My Darkest Hour and Mary Jane.
I saw Megadeth open for Dio on 12-28-87, about two weeks before this album came out. Their live set was blistering. They were so much tighter and exciting than when I had seen them open for Alice Cooper 10 months earler with Poland and Samuelson in the band. So I ought SFSGSW upon return from my winter break during my sophomore year at college, and we played the shit out of this thing. I can live without Anarchy In The UK, but I absolutely love every other track on this.

Fave tracks- In My Darkest Hour, Mary Jane, Set The World On Fire
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:28 AM »
Hotter Than Hell! :metal

It was the first Kiss album I ever bought. Many great tracks on it, although the production is a little too raw and muddy for my taste.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:11 AM »
Interesting DT choice.

I always liked that Megadeth album, filled with great songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »
Whoa. That is a very unexpected DT choice, though I agree that WDADRU is far superior to the original album, both in terms of vocals and production.

SFSGSW is pretty awesome as well, with Into the Lungs of Hell/Set the World Afire probably being one of Megadeth's best openers ever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »

SFSGSW is pretty awesome as well, with Into the Lungs of Hell/Set the World Afire probably being one of Megadeth's best openers ever.
They seemed to use the same formula to open Endgame. I love that album as well.

Hotter Than Hell! :metal

It was the first Kiss album I ever bought. Many great tracks on it, although the production is a little too raw and muddy for my taste.

Yeah the production is pretty rough but song wise it kicks ass!

Interesting DT choice.

Strangely, I don't even consider the original when I think of their discography. Like Zy's description of Hotter Than Hell, the songs still kick ass though. Lots of innocence and classic DT, but simply much better presented on the YJR release.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
In ode to your list I am playing  Hotter Than Hell in my office while doing paperwork.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »
In ode to your list I am playing  Hotter Than Hell in my office while doing paperwork.
:metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »
Watchin' You!! :metal :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
 :gene:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
Good Kiss and Megadeth albums, although far from being my favorites.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »
I think Strange Ways is one of the coolest songs in their catalog. Peter Criss did a great job with it, but I am glad Ace started to perform it back in the 90's.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
It's been a while since I've seen Ace live.  His new album was awesome.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
"My Darkest Hour " is definitely one of Megadeth's best songs ever. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »
"My Darkest Hour " is definitely one of Megadeth's best songs ever.
It might be a TAC Top 20 song of all time!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
first mention of Kiss on any list so far
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
HTH is still my favorite Kiss studio album.  Excellent all the way around, but I've always said this as well:

a little too raw and muddy for my taste.

Having just caught up on this today, I'll mention that they were discussing Night in the Ruts on "That Metal Show" a few weeks ago, when they had Brad and Joey from Aerosmith on.  The concensus seemed to be that Night in the Ruts was an extremely underrated album that they really liked.  Then Don called it "Right in the Nuts" and I thought "How did I never notice that before??"  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
Very cool DT and Kiss picks!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
Thanks JJ.
And Coz, about damn time you showed up!

Night In The Ruts is very underrated. It flat out ROCKS!
The play on words is pretty old and I believe intentional. You never noticed it before???

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
Going to assume your fave Megadeth album is RiP, but what are your favorite Kiss albums?

My Top 5 studio Kiss albums;
Hotter Than Hell
Dynasty (yeah I went there too)
Revenge
Kiss
Asylum

My Top 5 Megadeth;
So Far So Good So What
Rust In Peace
Endgame
United Abominations
Peace Sells

Anyone else?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
Hotter than Hell
Revenge
Creatures of the Night
Rock and Roll Over
Animalize or Asylum

Also, we used to do Strange Ways, back in the Cold Gin days.  Fun song.  We also did War Machine.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »
Creatures is great. I forgot about that one. That could bounce the s/t from my list! And Animalize is all kinds of heavy greatness!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »
I think Strange Ways is one of the coolest songs in their catalog. Peter Criss did a great job with it, but I am glad Ace started to perform it back in the 90's.

Great song, great album. Prefer side 2 to side 1 but a great album.

I don't have a big problem with WDADU though even at the time the production faults grated- it's still a great debut album and I listen to it regularly. WDADRU is good too- I'll watch the dvd but wouldn't put the cd on in place of the debut.

Never really listened to Armored Saint. A quick youtube browse and I'm not getting it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »
Going to assume your fave Megadeth album is RiP, but what are your favorite Kiss albums?

My Top 5 studio Kiss albums;
Hotter Than Hell
Dynasty (yeah I went there too)
Revenge
Kiss
Asylum

My Top 5 Megadeth;
So Far So Good So What
Rust In Peace
Endgame
United Abominations
Peace Sells

Anyone else?

Love Dynasty- except for 2000 Man, that was awful. Asylum was a big disappointment after Creatures, LIU, Animalize. There's still some good songs but alot of crap.

My top 5

Paul Stanley
Unmasked
Dynasty
Love Gun
Creatures

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »
I've got a couple of nearly identical Armored Saint pictures somewhere.  Same outfits and all.  They opened for Saxon during their March of the Saint tour.  Saxon was promoting Innocence, I believe. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2012, 03:13:49 PM »
I've got a couple of nearly identical Armored Saint pictures somewhere.  Same outfits and all.  They opened for Saxon during their March of the Saint tour.  Saxon was promoting Innocence, I believe.
Saxon and Saint!

I wouldn't see Armored Saint until 1987, but would see them another half dozen times through 1991.

Lowdz, I can see why they may not appeal to you. I guarantee that if you had seen them in some small club in the late 80's, you would surely be converted. They were a live band through and through. For you, I would recommend Another Day or Tainted Past or Last Train Home from Symbol Of Salvation.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Saxon and Saint!

I wouldn't see Armored Saint until 1987, but would see them another half dozen times through 1991.

Lowdz, I can see why they may not appeal to you. I guarantee that if you had seen them in some small club in the late 80's, you would surely be converted. They were a live band through and through. For you, I would recommend Another Day or Tainted Past or Last Train Home from Symbol Of Salvation.

I'll give them a try.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »
Lowdz, if I may, two others I think you might try;
Take A Turn ( from March Of The Saint)
Crisis Of Life (from Raising Fear)
Aftermath (from Delerious Nomad)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »
Listened to quite a bit of March of the Saint today.  Great album.

One of many Kiss covers that Anthrax did was Watching You.  Good stuff.  Anthrax is really a great cover band.

Saw Raven open for Slayer (Regin) and WASP (Electric Circus).  They were a hoot. 

SFSGSW beats the hell out of RIP, regardless of what Mustaine thinks.  HW/TPD and the title track are great.  Can't stand the rest of it.  SFSGSW should be the next album I listen to, in fact.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
One of many Kiss covers that Anthrax did was Watching You.  Good stuff.  Anthrax is really a great cover band.

Their cover of the fairly obscure Kiss tune "Love Her All I Can" was excellent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
    SFSGSW should be the next album I listen to, in fact.
Yes, yes it should!

Their cover of the fairly obscure Kiss tune "Love Her All I Can" was excellent.
Didn't Gene sing on that as well?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2012, 05:50:24 PM »
    SFSGSW should be the next album I listen to, in fact.
Yes, yes it should!
Already did, and it's better than I recall.  It's aged very well, in fact.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »
The album spews some serious attitude. And yes it has aged very well. I have no idea why it's not more highly regarded, other than the fact that it clocks in around 35 minutes...worked for Van Halen! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
.  Anthrax is really a great cover band.

Thought about this and you are right. Similar to Mike Portnoy and Dream Theater, you can really feel the band's apprciation of their musical influences. Very sincere.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2012, 06:38:26 AM »
I'M NOT A FISH
I'M A MAN

HOOK

IN

MOUTH!

:metal :metal :metal.