Author Topic: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2! AHHH IT'S OVER  (Read 23783 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2!
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
40. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

This album has always been special to me. It seems to feel just different from any other album. Only 5 tracks, but they're all amazing in their own way. The first Shine On You Crazy Diamond track being my second favourite of the band, and the title track possibly being my all time favourite song that appears frequently on the radio, and also one of my favourites of the band. I don't really know how to describe this one, and I'm sure most of you have heard this one already anyway. If you haven't, listen to it now. It's fantastic.
Favourite tracks: Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-VII or whatever the hell it is), Wish You Were Here, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (the other one)
39. Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium (2006)

This is another one that could easily have gone much higher, but I don't listen to it quite as religiously as before. Anyways, this is one of the most insane albums that will ever be made. Incredibly heavy metal, mixed with many other genres such as circus music  and jazz, and it's constantly all over the place going in a different direction when you least expect it. The vocals are handled by three wonderful people, two male vocalists, and one female with some of the most beautiful vocals I've ever heard. Not for the faint of heart at all, and it's the very definition of avant-garde. Be warned.
Favourite tracks: Desert Urbania, Psychic Jugglers, Megalomaniac Trees, Summoning Scenes

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
WYWH is now tied with Operation: Mindcrime as the 5th most mentioned album
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »
Two good albums again. I'm not a huge PF-fan, but I am starting to get into the band, and that through WYWH, so nice choice!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 12:51:32 AM »
WYWH is fantastic. I'll have to give that Unexpect album a spin, I've only heard good stuff about it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
WYWH is a masterpiece. I placed it much higher in my top 50. Good to see it here
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
38. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (1985)

Dat voice. There's no one out there who sounds like Waits, and boy is he satisfying to listen to. The music is very eclectic, going through jazz numbers, honky-tonk bar songs, blues, and even country. It's really not something I expected to enjoy, but it's quite nice and fun. His voice sounds like it's been weathered by centuries of drinking, but that's really the attraction of him. That dry, raspy voice gives every song the feel that only Waits can give.
Favourite tracks: Clap Hands, Jockey Full of Bourbon, Singapore
37. Thrice - The Alchemy Index (all) (2007 and 2008)

All four of the discs are really something special, and I consider them one album. Anyways, I bought it all at once, enjoyed it an insane amount, stopped listening for a while, then recently picked it back up and I'm addicted again. Every disc has it's own element, and in turn, it's own theme and sound. The heavy, blazing Fire, the electronic-tinged, relaxing, ambient Water, the soft, airy rock of Air, and the organic, folky Earth. My personal favourite is probably Water. I haven't gotten much Thrice besides this (only Major/Minor), but I'm thinking I really should soon.
Favourite tracks: Daedalus, Digital Sea, Night Diving, Burn the Fleet, The Arsonist, Come All You Weary

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
Your sentiments on The Alchemy Index are almost spot on to what I think. I enjoyed them greatly in the first 6-8 months of having heard them, but after that my interest in them has waned a bit unfortunately. The musicianship is great though and the albums/disc are great seperately, but as a whole as well. I should listen to them sometime soon again.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
Two amazing picks! When it comes to Thrice, Vheissu is their best IMO, but TAI is not far behind.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »
 :tup for Alchemy Index, and yes you should get some more Thrice!  May I recommend.....all of their albums?  ;)

Nice to see Deja Entendu get some love around here too. 

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »
Tom Waits is the man. 

I dunno if you've heard it but his newest one, Bad As Me, is the cat's meow. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »
Tom Waits is the man. 

Cup, you're back! Where were you, man?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »
Tom Waits is the man. 

Cup, you're back! Where were you, man?

Busy with boring stuff.  Lots of paperwork.  But that's over and I'm glad to be back. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »
Haven't heard it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things. I'll get around to it soon.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
36. Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison (1975)

This is definitely one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard. Definitely one of the pinnacles of 70s prog. It's very different from other prog though for multiple reasons. One of the most notable things is there is no drumming whatsoever. It's just pure relaxing, beautiful prog folk. Each track represents a season (the title of the album translating to If We Needed a Fifth Season). Vert representing spring, Dixie representing summer, Depuis L'Automne representing fall, and En Pleine Face representing winter. The final track, the epic 17 minute Histoires Sans Paroles, represents the "fifth season" and sounds a lot like soundtrack music, but it is indescribably beautiful. If you like calm, relaxing, folky music, get this now.
Favourite tracks: Depuis L'Automne, Histoires Sans Paroles
35. Agalloch - The Mantle (2002)

This album is pretty popular here, and for good reason. It evokes a chilling, wintery atmosphere unlike any other album. It's also good at being simultaneously heavy and soft, with snarling harsh vocals and a metal sound blended with 12 string acoustic guitars and a nice folky atmosphere. It's really the perfect winter album. I don't really know what else to say other than it's awesome.
Favourite tracks: In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion, I Am the Wooden Doors, The Lodge, Odal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
That Agalloch album is all kinds of awesome, musically, but the vocals are something that I just can't stomach - which is strange, 'cause I enjoy harsh vocals quite a lot, but they never seem to work for me in context with Agalloch.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
The Mantle! :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »
I've always enjoyed Ashes more than Mantle, but it's a fantastic album still. The other album sounds really cool from your description.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
The Mantle is one of my favorite albums ever. It does indeed remind you of bleak woods in the deep winter, when the dark trunks of leafless trees stand out against the white snow. Beautiful.  :heart
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
The Mantle is awesome.  Great album.

As for Tom Waits, I've never been able to get past his voice and just enjoy the music though.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Because of this list, I listened to Digital Sea off of the Thrice album. That night I had weird dreams involving this song. Now I have to buy that album! It's a sign!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:07:36 PM by Cedar redaC »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
Because of this list, I listened to Digital Sea off of the Thrice album. That night I had weird dreams involving this song. Now I have to buy that album! It's a sign!
:D!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »
:D!

You have no idea.   :biggrin:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »
34. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (2005)

This is just a wonderful album. It has it's depressing moments, it has it's happy moments (which are a decent bit fewer, but they're there), and Conor Oberst delivers all the emotions with some of the best lyricism out there. Hell, I'd go as far as to call him my favourite lyricist (although he is mighty close with Peter Hammill of Van der Graaf Generator). Anyways, this is some of the highest quality indie folk you'll find, and a nice, easy listen.
Favourite tracks: Lua, Poison Oak, Old Soul Song (For the New World Order), First Day of My Life
33. Burial - Kindred (EP) (2012)

So this probably isn't the one people were expecting. Oh well. Call it 2-step garage, call it dubstep, all I know is I love this album. This isn't the WUB WUB noisy dubstep most are familiar with, (hell, if you showed this to a run-of-the-mill mainstream dubstep fan the last word ever they'd likely use to call it is dubstep) but it's subtle and atmospheric in it's own way, utilizing edited and distorted vocal sample and a crumbly static sound, he crafts a dark, "city at night" feeling with the music. Most people know Burial for his highly acclaimed Untrue album. Well the shortest track of this EP is longer than the longest track on that album. We have 3 tracks, two coming in at 11+ minutes, and one at 7+ minutes. And I actually prefer this EP to Untrue. Untrue is still an amazing album, but I feel this EP is his strongest effort yet, and hopefully a wonderful sign of things to come.
Favourite tracks: All of them.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
This being a Dream Theater Forum, I can imagine what the third EP might be... ;)
This being LieLow, I doubt that it is what you imagine... :biggrin:

Case proven.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »
 :tup for I'm Wide Awake!  Nice to see Bright Eyes mentioned on the forum again, I thought that everyone who liked them that posted here had either been banned or stopped posting.  Conor is one of my all-time fave singer/songwriters.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
The Mantle is incredible!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »
Since I'm in a supercool totally awesome mood I'll give you guys a six album update to make up for the fact I didn't update the past few days. Enjoy.
32. Can - Future Days (1973)

So despite this being over 70 million spots lower than it was my last top 50, this album still does it for me. This is a beach album right here. Even the opening track opens with the sounds of a nice summer beach. These krautrockers go full on ambient in spots here and it's majestic. This album is nothing like any of their others. I mean, you still can't understand a damned word Damo Suzuki says if he's even saying anything at all, and Jaki Liebezeit is still providing some super groovy drums.  Every track is awesome in it's own way though. The 9 and a half minute title track, just being relaxing as hell with soothing guitar solos and is the beachiest song here. Spray opening with a 6 minute improv section with some of the coolest percussion you will ever hear in any song ever before letting Damo provide some lazy sounding vocals for a couple minutes. Moonshake looks back to previous albums, is very accessible, only 3 minutes long, and is just groovy and catchy as all hell. Then there's the 20 minute epic, probably the most misguided use of the word epic ever. It's the length of one, but it's not epic one bit. It's just 20 minutes of pure krautrock bliss, with lots of improv, soothing sections, and some of Damo's best vocal work ever. That song just makes me feel insanely good. So yeah, this was a long writeup but for some reason this is an album I feel the need to blabber about. Probably should've placed this higher.
Favourite tracks: All of them
31. The Cure - Disintegration (1989)

This is the only album by The Cure I have and every time I listen to it I feel like a complete jackass that this is the case. It's another watery album, but not beachy. This is more "staring off a cliff into the horizon where the sun sets and touches the water and everything is beautiful"-y. Right from the moment the synth in Plainsong comes in the feeling just washes over you and it is wonderful. You have a fusion of gothic elements and pop elements throughout this album and it melds together beautifully. It's just a wonderful album.
Favourite tracks: Plainsong, Lullaby, Pictures of You, Fascination Street
30. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (1986)

It's funny because I don't listen to this album much, but I felt the need to put it here. Probably because whenever I do listen to it it kicks my ass and makes me like it. Okay so it's not heavy or anything as you'd think from that sentence, it's just so... good. It's hard to explain. Anyway it has it all. It's catchy, the lyrics are just plain brilliant, and hilarious at that. Morrissey's voice was something I had to get used to as I found it had a weird nasally quality despite being generally low-pitched, but I love it tons now as well. It's one of the ultimate pop albums and right when the drums in the title track come in, you know you're in for something sweet.
Favourite tracks: There is a Light That Never Goes Out, Bigmouth Strikes Again, The Queen is Dead, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
29. Sigur Ros - ( ) (2002)

This album is breathtaking. Plain and simple. Once you're in the mood for it, nothing else will do. You need to hear the beauty of this album. The lyrics...well...there really are no actually lyrics as it is all in a language called Hopelandic that means nothing. It may seem a little demanding for some at 72 minutes too. And as an addition to their being no actual lyrics and no actual title, the songs have no names either. Oh, and the album booklet? Blank. All blank. Nothing about this album is anything. But does it matter? Hell no! It's one of the most relaxing and beautiful albums out there and that's that.
Favourite tracks: Untitled 3, Untitled 6, Untitled 7, Untitled 8
28. The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (2011)

Now here's an album that grabs you by the balls and swings you around like a medieval flail. This one is heavy as all hell, and is Devy's best with no contest in my opinion. The first track is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard, with lyrics of sobriety in the style of the music he made when he was sober, but suddenly comes "AHHHH GIMME THAT WIIIIIINE GIMME THAT ACIIIIIIIID" and the song gets gradually heavier and until suddenly, it climaxes into one of, if not THE most epic introduction to any album ever. That first song leaves such an impression it's insane. And the rest of the album backs up that impression to. It's silly, yes. It may seem overwhelming, yes. But I enjoy every second of it thoroughly. The title track might have sounds of a man taking a diarrhea shit that's kind of stupid, but the song itself is just pure chaos and I love it all. Listen to this.
Favourite tracks: Deconstruction, The Mighty Masturbator, Stand, Praise the Lowered
27. Comus - First Utterance (1971)

"Comus glare, Comus glare, Comus bare,
Comus rape, Comus break sweet young virgin's virtue take
Naked flesh flowing hair her terror screams they cut the air

Comes the sunlight summer day Comus wakes he starts to play
He starts to play he starts to play he starts to play
Aah
Chastity chaser virile for the virgin's virtue
Excite her exciter you better go before you bleed and he hurts you
He chased the chaste you better leave if you value your virtue"

"Hey, hey
Drip drip from your sagging lip
Liquid red down your body spread
Your soft breast glistens your deep navel fountains"

Some of you people may have heard of Comus through Mikael Akerfeldt referencing them in Opeth titles (My Arms, Your Hearse is a lyric from the track Drip Drip, The Baying of the Hounds is a lyric from the track Diana). Well this album kicks ass in my opinion, but I gotta warn you, this is not music for normal people. You have to have some degree of fucked-upness to enjoy this. It is the weirdest folk music you will ever hear I can guarantee you this. Sounds like it was made by gremlins in a forest, and even the vocals sound this way. The lyrics were very :metal for their time, although the music isn't heavy or metal in the slightest. It contains lyrics about raping, murdering, hanging a Christian, all that wonderful, cheerful stuff. And it's mostly sang with this odd kind of joy and sadisticness which makes it even weirder. But as weird as this is, it is wonderful. Sadly, their album after this in 1974 is quite average. They did make a comeback album this year though (almost 40 years later ffs) and I have yet to hear it, but I hear talk that it's a goodie.
Favourite tracks: Diana, Drip Drip, Song to Comus, The Herald

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
() :heart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
Brilliant update right there. And nice writeups. I know it's pain in the ass that it takes so much time to write it down, only to be read in seconds, but good work. :)
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
Thank you. :) Yeah, I like the writeups this update more than my others. For some reason I just felt more motivated to write this time. :lol

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
Listening to Comus now and loving it. Always been a huge folk person.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
Good to hear. I recommend Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison for a listen to if you don't mind music in other languages since you're a folk person. It's not pure folk, but any folk fan should love it IMO.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
Sweet, I'll check it out.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »
26. Dir en Grey - UROBOROS (2008)

This was an album I didn't expect to like near as much as I did. I'd heard Vinushka and loved it to death, but thought it'd be the highlight and the rest might be meh, so I was reluctant to buy. Luckily, my hunch was wrong and this album was insanely good. The lyrics are a mix of Japanese and English that is so heavily accented that it might as well be Japanese. Despite this fact, Kyo is possibly my favourite metal vocalist. His clean vocals are nothing special, but beyond that he has so much versatility and can provide harsh vocals with so much ferocity it's just mind-boggling. He screams, growls, hisses, and does some weird shrieky scream that I've never heard anyone else do anything like, and it's all done exceptionally. The riffs are also intense, and the melodies are awesome, but his harsh vocals are certainly the highlight.
Favourite tracks: Vinushka, Reiketsu Nariseba, Gaika Chinmoku Ga Nemurukoro, Stuck Man
25. Don Caballero - Don Caballero 2 (1995)

This is almost certainly my favourite drumming album of all time. Don Caballero is one of the pioneers of the math rock genre, and my almost certainly my favourite. This album here is a blend of math rock and some heavier elements. It's raw, in your face, powerful, and crushing most of the way through, but knows when to calm itself down and relax you a little. As I said, the drumming is just phenomenal. Don Cab is one of the few bands where the drumming seems to take the lead while the guitars make for some extra intensity, and Damon Che uses this lead to it's full potential. He goes through wacky time signatures accompanied by even wackier drum lines, crazy fills, awesome cymbal work, the whole package. He just never gets boring.
Favourite tracks: please tokio please THIS IS TOKIO, P, P, P, Antless, Stupid Puma, Repeat Defender, Cold Knees (In April)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
Didn't expect much attention for this update. :lol