Author Topic: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2! AHHH IT'S OVER  (Read 23734 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2!
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »
I adore In the aeroplane over the sea.  :heart

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
9. Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire (2011)
Putting this above In a Flesh Aquarium might be seen as a little controversial, but I am confident with this.
No, great call. :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
NMH and that album is pretty good, but I don't seem to like it AS much as some other people do. I'd probably give it a 4 out of 5 (if you count 4.5 as a grade as well) but a pretty solid album.
Maybe it will climb higher with time.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »
4. Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children (1998)

This one was released only 2 months after the previous entry (Aeroplane). It's also BoC's 3rd and final entry on this list. I think I mentioned earlier that they're a group that I enjoy in a totally different way than other groups. When I like one of their tunes, I don't simply enjoy it. I feel it, as pretentious as that sounds. Whenever I'm in a BoC mood, whatever song I pick I feel could go on forever and I'd never get bored of it. And then it ends, and the next song blows me away the same way. As cliche as this may sound, their music is like a drug to me. They give a really new level of enjoyment to everything.

This album came to me in a time when I was unsure about electronic music. I heard some tunes I liked in the past, and wanted to enjoy it, but the genre as a whole just didn't speak to me. It felt so sterile, and to put bluntly, lame. Not lame as in uncool, lame in an almost literal sense. Take that as you will. Then, I heard the buzz from all the acid droppers and shroomheads that this one was the bees knees. The cats pajamas. "It's an album that totally speaks to you, maaaaan. It's like all nostalgic and stuff." Well I had my doubts, but thought if they really felt something so much on another plane, despite all of the hallucinogens they were taking, it was worth a try. I was on vacation in Calgary visiting my dad at this time. My first listen? Ambivalent. I really enjoyed a song here and a song there, but as a whole it was much too long at 70 minutes. But I definitely thought it was worth exploring more. I began to enjoy it more, but new my true appreciation likely wouldn't come until I was home, had my computer so I could put it on my iPod, and listening with some high quality headphones. That's when it came. That's when it really clicked. Every track was perfect. Has an unsettling childishness to it. And just felt... different then anything else. Tracks like Olson and Bocuma. Both very short interludes, yet containing incredibly captivating melodies that just make everything seem so bright and beautiful. Triangles and Rhombuses really accentuates that nostalgic feel people seem to get from this album. The nostalgia thing isn't just me being crazy, I've heard a very large amount of people say similar things. Any album that can make you feel like a kid, where everything is beautiful and unique, is special.

So if you have any interest in relaxing electronic music, you have to get this. You have no excuse. Do it now.
Favourite tracks: All 18 of em. But I'll put a spotlight on Olson for just using a simple melody with an increasingly staticey 3-note bassline to make the most effective musical interlude in any album ever. Just beautiful.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:00:58 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2012, 03:58:07 PM »
That writeup was only like half of what I have to say of this album. Just don't wanna bore you all. :lol

Anyways, please note all of the top 5 were potential #1s. In fact, you can think of them all being #1. This is just my mood lately.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »
Portishead  :tup Pink Floyd  :tup DJ Shadow  :tup.... some really good stuff  :hat

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2012, 04:40:09 AM »
BOARDS OF CANADA ONE OF THE BEST BANDS EVER MHTRTC IS FUCKING AMAZING
Ima fan of them :3

You heard the rumors LieLow? they are working on a new material :3
I love beautiful things.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm really excited! :D Been so long since we've heard new music from them.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
I listened to that Neutral Milk Hotel album after Xanthul sent me The King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 in my roulette, which I enjoyed. I absolutely disliked the rest of the album and was very glad when it was over. What am I doing wrong that you placed it at #5?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
Anything in particular you disliked?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
The vocals in particular and some of the production, it seemed the album was trying deliberately to sound outdated. If that makes any sense, I only listened to it once though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
I find the album to be very unique. It's one of those albums that seems to divide people the most, either you dislike it or you really love it. The only album I could think of which comes close to this would be "BE" by Pain of Salvation which also has some haters, though mainly people who love it.

I remember getting the CD from my dad who really didn't like it. He bought it and played it in the car but didn't care for it at all, so I got his copy. I didn't listen to it until like a year or two after that, but I really like it myself.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
Yeah, it's really the definition of a love or hate album. The vocals usually being the thing that turns people off. Either that or the old "Pitchfork likes it so I am obligated to dislike it as much as possible", which is pretty annoying. But yeah the vocals are definitely not the greatest out there so it's understandable to dislike it. Me, I eventually got past them with listens. Whether you can or can't I don't know though. :o

Anyways, next album coming soon.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »
3. maudlin of the Well - Bath (2001)

So last time I did this list, Bath was only my third favourite of maudlin's 4 albums. Part the Second being my favourite. My gigantic love for it isn't due to acquired taste so much, where you listen and listen until eventually it was amazing. This was a lot more sudden. As in one day I had nothing to listen to and decided to give it a spin and it blew me away. Since then, it has become my most listened to album according to iTunes.

Some don't really call motW progressive metal, and instead prefer avant-garde. Both terms work really, but I'd like to say out of all progressive bands ever, anything Toby Driver is in "out-progressives" anything else. And I'm using the most cut-and-dry, literal interpretation of the term. Music that progresses. Music that pushes the boundaries and progresses the metal genre into something totally different and new. There is nothing like this album anywhere, and I doubt there will be. It's not avant-garde metal in the Unexpect sense, the musical equivalent of a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster. No, maudlin focuses on being beautiful and majestic while also being dark, brooding, and heavy. They have this feel to them that no one else has that you'd have to hear to understand.

Either way, for an example for what this album can do. It goes from an 8 minute instrumental intro track that is incredibly soft and ends louder, into the next track which is an all out death metal assault, into the next which begins with pizzicato strings with sweet singing and eventually turns into an extremely dark, heavy, fast ending (but with mostly clean vocals). Then you also have track 8, Birth Pains of Astral Projection, which starts out as a gorgeous jazz tune, turns into heavy death metal, then eventually turns into a really nice sounding clean vocal section, and it stays moderately heavy with a great guitar solo for the remainder. I'm sure you get the point that this album does it all. It soothes you, it kicks your ass, it does everything any metal album could ever hope to do and better than any other metal album does it. Also, Interlude 2 is a funny little ditty with a happy little bassline and water splashes as percussion. Just thought it was worth mentioning because it's amazing.

Anyways, it's really an indescribable album. If you adore both heavy metal and soft stuff, you owe it to yourself to grab this.

Favourite tracks: Geography, Birth Pains of Astral Projection
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:16:25 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
Oh yes, killer album. I own it on vinyl and CD and it never ceases to amaze me. I had in at #17 on my list when I did this, but next time it will most likely end up higher. Awesome stuff.
Squ

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
The Blue Ghost is an amazingly beautiful song, I think its my fav song from that absolutely incredible album.
And, I know this album so well that I know Birth Pains of Astral Projection is track number 8, not 9 :)
I was so excited whan I bought it, really. totally worth it
I love beautiful things.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
The Blue Ghost is an amazingly beautiful song, I think its my fav song from that absolutely incredible album.
And, I know this album so well that I know Birth Pains of Astral Projection is track number 8, not 9 :)
I was so excited whan I bought it, really. totally worth it
I made that typo once and coulda sworn I fixed it. Thanks for catching it. :lol And yeah The Blue Ghost is one of the higher up songs for me. Adore it. :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
Bath is awesome, though my favourite is The Ferryman. That organ introduction (or whatever else that is) is so fucking awesome and majestic. :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
Great album!

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »
Love the motW love.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »
Bath is awesome, though my favourite is The Ferryman. That organ introduction (or whatever else that is) is so fucking awesome and majestic. :metal
I prefered the organ outro of this song :p
I love beautiful things.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2012, 02:03:50 AM »
Amazing album

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »
Never been able to hugely get into MotW. It contains so many elements I often like, but it just doesn't sit right with me for some reason!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
I tried listening to them and while some of their songs I liked, some of them I just couldn't listen to at all.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »
I've been wanting to check out Bath for a long time (as well as the other Maudlin of the Well CD's). The only Toby Driver-related album I currently have is Choirs of the Eye. How would you say that compares to Bath?

I will say that CotE is absolutely beautiful, and definitely one of my favorite albums since I discovered it about a year ago.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »
Personally I like Choirs of the Eye the most out of Toby's albums, but the maudlin albums are really awesome as well.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
Anyone wanna guess the top 2?

Bath and Choirs both combine metal and soft beauty in really effective ways. However, Bath is more easy to digest and has more direction whereas Choirs wanders more. Bath is also less bleak, dark, and frightening than Choirs. However, if you like Choirs I think it'd be a safe bet to say you'd like Bath as well. :)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
I didn't check the list, but Images and Words probably shows up somewhere.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »
I didn't check the list, but Images and Words probably shows up somewhere.
Yeah, no, probably not. I'm thinking Magma maybe?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
Magma has like 3 albums that barely missed the top 50. :lol So unfortunately no, not this time. :sadpanda:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
Can or Vandergraaff Generator?
Squ

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:14 PM »
Vandergraaff Generator

that's my guess
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »
Better have some Van der Graaf Generator in the top 2.  ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »
VdGG isn't really my all time favourite anymore, but I still adore them. Anyways, so far nobody is right. Here's #2.
2. Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye (2002)

Looky here, y'all were just talking about this one. Anyways, two Toby Driver releases on this list, both coming in at #3 and #2. Not bad at all. The man is truly a musical genius and one of my greatest inspirations as a musician. So while Bath is notable for being the most listened to album I own, this one here I rarely listen to at all anymore. It's the definition of a mood album. But when I'm in that mood I literally refuse to listen to anything else, and this can last like a week sometimes. No other album really does that for me.

Anyways, I pretty much called Bath my favourite metal album last writeup. So what gives? This is metal, right? Well some say so. However, I believe it is 100% unclassifiable in genre, but has a few metal moments here and there. Not really a full metal album. This is really the only album I have no idea what to name it in genre. Anyways, why is it so good? The amount of effort, work, and care put into each track is just phenomenal. It can create a shivery dark atmosphere, builds, lulls you into a trance, smashes you out of said trance, and transcends a huge list of genres that most bands would take a career to cover, all of which can be done in the course of a single track. However, does it sound like a musician gone mad trying to shove as many different genres as he can into one piece of music? No, each piece makes perfect sense in every way. It takes a certain gift to do that.

So far to those who haven't heard, it probably seems like it's a lot like Bath. This isn't exactly true. At the time of this album, Kayo Dot was simply a continuation of maudlin of the Well. And Bath (along with LYBM) was their last album before this. However, this is like motW split into a completely different direction. While before it combined genres, yet had an overall sense of direction and you can kinda feel where each song is going, this album is unpredictable. In Marathon, just as you feel comfortable being lulled away into the almost psychedelic atmospheres, the song will come crashing down on you with all fury. You can never feel secure really. The ending spoken word section is also incredibly well executed and effective. Then there's A Pitcher of Summer, a song almost like chamber pop gone horribly wrong (in all the right ways of course). The Manifold Curiosity wanders probably more than any other tracks, but it definitely works to the song's advantage. It takes you in, builds in a post-rock like way into a nice clarinet(?) solo. Then the last 4 minutes is probably the most insane thing ever put to music. Wayfarer is one of the most beautiful things out there, making heavy use of strings and nice acoustic guitar. The Antique has a long 6 minute intro that very slowly builds into finally you're battered relentlessly with heaviness for a while, then gently lowered back out of the album with one of the most beautiful ending sections out there.

I know track-by-track reviews are kinda lame, but I felt it was necessary here as the album has so many different sounds to take in a general description would be near useless. Along with SOABDCS by Harmonium, this is the most beautiful album of all time. But this one contains a dark, almost creepy kind of beauty whereas Harmonium's album is bright and wonderful for the most part. This one also fuses that beauty with pure aggressiveness in points. So while I'm rarely in the mood to take this beast of an album in, it is impossible not to appreciate the absolute perfection at work here. And once I reach that mood... dayum.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »
Nice writeup. Couldn't agree more about this one being a 'mood album'. It never ceases to amaze me when I am in that mood.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.