Author Topic: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2! AHHH IT'S OVER  (Read 23513 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2!
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
16. Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)

An album I actually recognize! ;D
Great album!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
F# A# Infinity is a great album. I'm listening to it at the moment.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
Awwwh yeahhhhhh takin it slow now.
10. Pixies - Doolittle (1989)

So this and their previous album, Surfer Rosa, are probably the two most influential albums in alt rock, or at least are up there. Hell, just ask Nirvana, who thought Smells Like Teen Spirit was basically a Pixies ripoff. These guys are incredibly important to the genre, and this is easily their best album IMO. Every song is awesome, Black Francis just enhances everything with his awesome, and at times maniacal vocals. He sings like a madman and it gives every song their character. The basslines on this album by Kim Deal are also very well done and drive the bands sound nicely. Any alt rock fan absolutely needs to hear this.
Favourite tracks: Hey, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Mr. Grieves, Debaser, I Bleed
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:42:50 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
F#A#infinity is superb.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
The only Pixies song that I know is Where Is My Mind?.

I quite like it, but it never compelled me to check them out further. Is it characteristic for the bands sound?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »
Ehh maybe in a couple songs, but they have a pretty varying sound. I'll admit Where Is My Mind? never impressed me as much as lots of their other work and most of the songs on this album.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
Big Hath could verify, but I swear Animals has to be the most mentioned album.  It's pretty cool how it shows up on the lists of prog, metal, indie, post-(fill-in-the-blank) fans alike.

lets see . . .

Animals is tied with several other albums for 14th overall in number of mentions.  It is tied with DSOTM as the 2nd most mentioned Pink Floyd album behind Wish You Were Here.

Other albums tied with Animals and DSOTM at 14th are: Rust In Peace, Somewhere In Time, Still Life (Opeth), Fear of a Blank Planet, ( ), and Lateralus.  Pretty good group there!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
Nice list so far, I'm enjoying this. I have about 10 of these, with a bunch more in my "why don't I own this yet?" pile (Foxtrot, F#A#, Agaetis Byrjun...) I will have to check out some of the unfamiliar ones for sure. Looking forward to the top 10.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »
Thanks. Here's 9. :D
9. Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire (2011)

Putting this above In a Flesh Aquarium might be seen as a little controversial, but I am confident with this. :) In a Flesh Aquarium is better in the way of all out insanity, but this is more controlled. This could be seen as a disappointment to those who loved them for the fact their quirkiness was unmatched, but some will appreciate it even more. The insanity is definitely there, but the songs feel a lot more focused and well put together. There are more memorable sections overall, and there is a clear sense of direction in some songs. The last three tracks are actually all one song, which is probably my favourite song to come out of 2011, and definitely the bands best. It's epic, the lyrics are humourous (actually, the album as a whole is full of pretty funny lyrics), and it is one of the best closings to an album I have ever heard. It's also notable Leilindels angelic vocals take more of a forefront, while she also has more harsh vocal spots, and ChaotH's basslines are more awesome than ever. That 9-string bass may seem show-offey, but he uses it to it's full potential. This may be less insane than IaFA, but here you get Unexpect at their full creative and epic power. It's definitely a masterpiece.
Favourite tracks: Until Yet a Few More Deaths Do Us Part (all three songs, not the identically named final section), Unfed Pendulum, Unsolved Ideas of a Distorted Guest, Orange Vigilantes, The Quantum Symphony, Mechanical Phoenix

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
:tup

I like Fables A LOT more than IaFA, though I haven't come to fully appreciate it yet.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
8. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..... (1996)

So this album has the honour of being the first album ever to be made entirely of samples. I'm sure some may be thinking about how little talent that must take. Couldn't be more wrong. The skill in this album is just plain awe-inspiring. I'm gonna borrow something a reviewer said once. You listen to Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen (I don't like him, but he's an example) or hell, even John Petrucci, play guitar and you think "Damn, this is pretty amazing." But you know in the back of your mind that with practice, you could play that song by them you're listening to, or even make a solo similar to it yourself. The same cannot be said with DJ Shadow's sampling. The perfection of every sample blending together to make something beautiful, entrancing, yet totally new is really an unthinkable accomplishment to me. You couldn't even picture the samples being used being anywhere other then in the song they're placed in. Shadow has an astonishing collection of over 60 000 records to choose from, and he seems to be able to pick the perfect songs to sample in every track. He's classified as instrumental hip-hop (and allegedly gets annoyed being called electronic and moves any of his albums he sees in an electronic section in a store to the rap/hip-hop section), but he's really on a whole other level. Some call him trip-hop, but to me he doesn't seem to fit in with that crowd in my eyes. I don't know what I'd call him, but I don't feel either of these genres from him. Kind of ambient, yet with very prevalent beats. He's his own genre, and only he can do it.
Favourite tracks: Midnight in a Perfect World, Changeling, Building Steam With a Grain of Salt, Stem/Long Stem, What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
And don't believe it's amazement? Check out these review scores:

Marvelous. :D

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2012, 02:07:35 AM »
Great picks!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2012, 02:56:38 AM »
Listening to DJ Shadow right now, all I can say is fuck.  Wonderful choice man  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »
Listening to DJ Shadow right now, all I can say is fuck.  Wonderful choice man  :tup
Thanks. :) I'm wasn't sure how he would fly over here, but I'm glad you like. :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »

Yeah, this. Midnight in a Perfect World is amazing.
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
7. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me (2006)

So I'm sure a few people knew this one was coming eventually. This is one of my most frequently spun albums without a doubt. Hell, I'm playing it over my surround sound right now. It's really tough to explain why it's so awesome. I here Brand New usually referred to as a band in the emo genre, but they're an entirely different beast. They're definitely depressive, but I find bands in the emo genre often come off as fake and desperate to be sad. That's where Brand New is set apart from the rest. Their music has a very genuine and down-to-earth feel to it. This album is a brilliant example of that. This is where I find all their elements come together just right and create the perfect album. They also deviate quite a lot from their normal structuring and style in Limousine, and it is in my opinion their best song (well that and Play Crack the Sky off of Deja Entendu, but Play Crack the Sky is special to me in a very personal way). It doesn't have a chorus really, just a series of verses/bridges, and the building "love you so much" section is one of the greatest moments in their entire discography. So yeah, if you're ever sad or whatever, give this thing a shot. It's a perfect album. Oh and seeing You Won't Know live was one of the best experiences of my life. They extended it and put a cool Phantom of the Opera section. It's about my 3rd favourite song by them and they really improved on it.
Favourite tracks: Limousine, You Won't Know, Millstone, Degausser

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
I prefer Deja myself, mainly because it contains my favourite Brand New song (Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis), but this album is pretty awesome as well, probably my second favourite by them. :tup

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »
I keep seeing this band popping up all over the forums. I should really get around to checking them out.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
I do think its a good album, but I don't like it as much as a lot of you guys I think :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
I keep seeing this band popping up all over the forums. I should really get around to checking them out.
Do so. :) I recommend them to anyone who likes alt rock or sad lyric. :)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2012, 03:34:24 AM »
Another awesome album. Luca and Handcuffs would be my favorites from it.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
Millstone and Jesus are my faves

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
Just checked out that album. It's incredibly excellent. All the songs are great, but Millstone, You Won't Know, Jesus Christ, and Sowing Season are my favorites probably.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »
Yeah, Luca and Jesus are amongst my favourites too. :metal Although I almost shit myself the first time I heard Luca. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
6. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009)

I don't really see this getting much attention over here. Either way, AC is an incredibly inventive band. I own three albums, and each one is absolutely nothing like the others, aside from the fact they all have the childish happiness of AC. From the ones I own, Feels is a calm and sort of folkey album. Strawberry Jam is sort of abrasive pop that has harsh screams every now and then which don't fit the music at all yet make it all great. Then there's this one. This is a whole different beast and you can tell right from the moment the acoustic guitar starts fading in on In the Flowers. The production alone sets it apart from anything else. It's psychedelic and intensely trippy to the very max. Without all the psychedelic noises, this could almost be dismissed as a radio pop album in a sense, but all of it together creates a totally different album from what it could have been, and it's both of these things coming together that makes it great. It's got their childish happiness. It is intensely catchy in spots. And it can brighten just about any mood and is almost the happiest album I have. But with all of these points it's counteracted by an extreme psychedelia element that gives the album a whole new personality, pretty much ensuring you'd never hear it on the radio. It's both accessible and inaccessible. Quite awesome. Some may find AC's style incredibly annoying, but I love them and they became one of my favourite bands not long after discovering.
Favourite tracks: Brother Sport, In the Flowers, Bluish, My Girls, Lion in a Coma

P.S. Have fun staring at that cover. It's a very accurate depiction of the albums sound. Probably the most fitting cover ever.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »
P.S. Have fun staring at that cover.

AAAHHH!!!!  It's moving, but it's a JPG?!  I'd love to show that to someone tripping on LSD.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Yeah, that is strange!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
Yeah, the illusion works a lot better when big on a computer screen then with the physical copy. :lol But you can still get a physical one to move and it's still cool. :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
Alright guys, we're in the top 5. Prepare for incredibly long writeups.

5. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)

If I wasn't branded a hipster with the Animal Collective addition, perhaps this will do it. This is largely looked at (and sadly, often dismissed) as a "hipster" album, whatever that is supposed to mean. Anyway, this was a tough addition to the list. Sometimes this album is #1 without a doubt in my mind. But I put it here just because it felt right for now. Anyway, this is THE indie album. Kind of in the same way some may look at Images and Words as THE prog metal album. It definitely isn't the first of the genre by a LONG shot, but it was very groundbreaking and important in establishing the sound many indie bands have today. This one is much better than any other indie album though, for several reasons. First, I'll get it out of the way that I don't even like the vocals. So I probably look like some kind of madman for having the album this high. But trust me, the music is that good to me that the vocals go from being grating to a non-factor.

Anyways, now on to the good. First, the lyrics. Oh my god is Mangum a good songwriter. I'll start off by saying the lyrics are weird as all hell, often sexual in the weirdest possible ways, and very hard to make sense of at times, so I need a little assistance from the internet often to get what he's going for. But even when I don't know I appreciate it greatly. It's not only in what the words say though, he uses alliteration like a master (especially in Oh Comely) and it's very effective in making it stick with you. He writes songs like a surreal author. It's pretty cool. Of course you have those moments that are notorious ("I LOOOOOVE YOU JESUUUUUS CHRIIIIIIIST") but I don't mind them. There's also moments that are just plain delightful and fun. The King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 2 and 3, the Untitled instrumental, and Holland, 1945 are songs that just make me wanna go outside and run for no reason. There's amazing melodies everywhere, lots of emotion, moments that make you feel like you're in some kind of deranged circus, and one of the best endings to an album ever (which is only really effective if you listen to the whole thing prior, but whatever). So this writeup probably kinda sucked because I feel I wrote a lot while saying very little, but properly explaining why this album is how it is is an impossible task. Something you just gotta hear. Most people would love it if Jeff Mangum could sing, like at all. :lol But if you look at reviews and opinions of it, you can see how well-respected it is anyway.
Favourite tracks: All (but mostly Ghost)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:25:39 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
I love that album. It's just perfect. If you haven't listened to it, you're missing out big-time.  :heart :heart

Semen stains the mountaintops. :eyebrows:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2012, 03:11:32 PM »
Semen stains the mountaintops. :eyebrows:
Proves that she must still exist, she moves herself about her fist :eyebrows:

Also, if you guys could help, speaking of the Untitled instrumental I have no idea what instrument is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnVESaiRqw

Comes in at like 0:14ish.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »
Sounds like bagpipes to me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
Sort of, yet it sounds different. And I don't really hear the signature drone notes of bagpipes either. Hmm.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »
Well, it might have some kind of effect on it. It sounds so similar to bagpipes. Really weird.