Author Topic: Avatar: The Last Airbender & The Legend of Korra  (Read 10425 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & The Legend of Korra
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
I realize it's not totally fair, considering most of Team Avatar's character development took place in the second season, but still.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 03:51:40 PM »
Some are a stretch, and some are just wrong, like Korra.  But that just highlights the issue of resolving too quickly in the last two minutes.

I never really hated Mako at the end, as it made a lot of sense.  I actually liked him more at the end than the beginning.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
I think we're all forgetting the best Korra character, General Iroh.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 11:13:31 PM »

My friend would agree. He wants to cosplay as him next year.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »

My friend would agree. He wants to cosplay as him next year.

heck yeah. I hope Iroh gets used a lot more in season 2.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2012, 12:40:34 AM »

He helped wreck the finale by having waaay too much screen time. Guy is an interesting one, and I'd definitely love to see more of him in the future, but I still think the way they used him as basically a stand in Zuko was annoying. I mean, we had so much to cover in that finale, and we spent a lot of time just watching a new character in action sequences. Granted, those scenes were cool, but it still irked me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2012, 02:00:19 AM »
heck yeah. I hope Iroh gets used a lot more in season 2.

And Bumi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
So apparently the second season is called Spirits and it's going to have 14 episodes.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to it! Now they have the opportunity to take things more slowly.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »
I thought it was originally approved for 20 episodes?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
I'm just going off of what it says on Wikipedia.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
From my understanding, season 2 is 14 episodes, and seasons 3 and 4 are 13 episodes each.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2012, 09:51:37 AM »
Please, I need the source. That's genius.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
The last air bender is fantastic from start to finish. Korra less so, but I think the problem with Korra is it tried to be both a self contained series while open enough to continue on for multiple series, and ended up being a bit unfocused and rushed in the end. The characters all have great potential though so I'm looking forward to where they go with the next series. The animation was gorgeous too.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »
I'm surprised that people are as down on the ending for Korra was they are.  Is it perfect?  No.  But the point is pretty clear.  The first season of the show is about Korra struggling with her sense of identity.  And the ending resolves that nicely.

I also believe this theory to be 100% true:

Korra vs. her spiritual block / Korra vs. lack of identity outside of Avatar
Resolution: Highly satisfying, if you read it this one particular way

At first, I had “not so much” written down for resolution on both of these, as there isn’t a ton of obvious cause-and-effect in why Aang showed up like a god from the machine to restore Korra’s bending—other than the lame excuse of “You looked sad.”

But watching the end again, this way of reading the last five minutes popped into my head, and it makes more and more sense the more I think about it. Korra’s lack of identity and her block were actually the same thing, and they’re both resolved in a kind of great under-the-censor’s-radar way.
Korra’s just found out the best healer in the world can’t do anything for her. Her last hope to hang onto the identity she’s had since childhood is gone. Mako tells her he loves her; she tells him to go away, that she’s “not the Avatar anymore.” Her misery calls back to the dream she had in “The Voice In The Night,” where her own subconscious—dressed as scary Amon—tells her “Once I take your bending away, you will be nothing.” Korra goes out to a cliff, and walks up to the very, very edge—she’s close enough that from her looking-down POV we see a tear actually falling all the way down the side of the cliff, which means her head is leaning out over the drop.

I can’t think of a reason to use that specific shot unless it’s to imply that she went up there to throw herself off the cliff.
Supporting this theory: When she pulls back, sits down, decides to keep living as a person who isn’t inherently special, and starts thinking for real about what that means—that’s the instant Aang finally shows up to declare “You have finally connected with your spiritual self!” This all feels like fan-wanking, but the alternate explanation seems to be “He showed up then because she was… continuing to be sad? And that continuing sadness somehow resolved her spiritual block?” That’s unsatisfying, unearned, and also doesn’t really make a lot of sense. The more I think about the oddness of that POV shot, Aang’s timing, and, most importantly, how not okay Nickelodeon would be with showing a hero contemplating suicide, the more sense it makes to consider the final-final battle of the season as completely internal—and pretty damn dark.

Since Avatar: The Last Airbender ended its second season with its heroes getting schooled and running away, it didn’t seem obvious that the writers would end Korra’s first season on an up or down note. It’s almost greedy to go for an ending with both the “Whoa!” of The Empire Strikes Back and the “Yay!” of Star Wars. It’s also risky, as that sort of “J/K, they’re fine,” can feel unearned and detract from the weight of what came before; further, people try it often enough that it’s usually pretty easy to see right through the Empire Strikes Back ending. The Legend Of Korra handled the switcheroo ending about as well as you can: I found it plausible that the writers would leave her de-powered going into the second season; and, if you read that scene on the cliff as a big deal, Korra and Lin getting their powers back feels earned.

This might seem ridiculous, until you remember that this happens only a few minutes after the boat scene, which is one of the darkest scenes I've seen in anything period.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
I like that theory, the one I always had was this:

When she surrendered all hope, and stooped to the deepest and darkest pits of despair she let go of the world. As in, contemplating suicide. (I had the same thought as the guy in the theory). When she did that, by abandoning the world, she unlocked her chakra of mind and entered the spiritual realm of the Avatar state.

Also, I'm curious to why Katara didn't try bloodbending Korra to see if she could reverse Amon's technique.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
Very interesting, the suicide thing somehow never occurred to me. Maybe 'cause it's a kid's show, but we've obviously been surprised before, even in that episode.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »
That makes perfect sense, and it didn't occur to me either for that very specific reason; and a good one at that, as Nick would never allow even a hint at such a topic-point. However, artwork does tell a story unto it's own and that does make absolute perfect sense (it helps I literally just finished re-watching the series before reading this) that she contemplated not living a life of normalcy, being the blood of the Avatar. It was beautiful and I'm really glad I read that, it packs a punch, emotionally. I really loved the style and story of the series, but like many others, had a problem with the development of the characters and the neck-break pace of the show towards the middle-end of the season. However, given that they've greenlit another 'book', I'm very excited to see where this goes. Hopefully it won't feel as rushed or sprint towards the end because this first season definitely felt like it was meant to be it, albeit unfinished and kind of a 'well, we'll see where this goes', but it pretty much wrapped everything up. 'Spirits', the second book, should be exciting, as she's clearly got issues there.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »

Win.

Very interesting, the suicide thing somehow never occurred to me. Maybe 'cause it's a kid's show, but we've obviously been surprised before, even in that episode.

I think Nickelodeon is aware of the show's adult fanbase, so they can throw in some adult themes without making them overt.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
I'm sure they are; I meant I simply had never thought about it because of its predominantly being marketed toward children.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
Yeah there's definitely adult overtones in both series.

Watched the last few episodes where Aang battles the Fire Lord today. Such fantastic TV and as an artist, I look at the art and animation in those episodes and it just blows me away.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »
Whoa necrobump!

Anyway I recently watched both shows, and really enjoyed them both, although A:TLA is the superior show. Toph is my favorite character.

Appreciate!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2015, 05:29:08 PM »
Didn't even know there was a thread for this. :lol

I really enjoyed the hell out of both series, more so out of TLA. The animation only got better as the series progressed, and in Korra, its absolutely fantastic.

Favorite character? Zuko. Not the most original choice but he's, IMO, the most well-written character in the series.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2015, 05:43:30 PM »
I just watched this.

I LOVED IT. Such a refreshing series.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
Didn't even know there was a thread for this. :lol

This, haha.

I love The Last Airbender show, it's absolutely wonderful. I've seen it 3 times I think, and some of the moments still hits me just as hard as they did the first time. Zuko confronting his father during the eclipse, Zuko and Azula's final agni kai, Sokka and Toph's "I think this is the end" moment on the airship, the final scene of the show. And that's just season 3!

Korra was good, but it just doesn't get as good as TLA. I think Amon was the coolest shit ever, until they sort of ruined him in the season 1 finale. Season 2 was the worst season for me, and had the worst animation since another studio stepped in to help. But both season 3 and 4 were great, especially Kuvira and her story. And I thought the final moment of the show was great, though I wished Nickelodeon would have had the balls to do the whole scene that the writers had intended.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
Netflix is bringing Avatar back as a live action series. It will be helmed by the actual creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. That makes all the difference here and ignites my excitement. Only those 2 should be handling this.

Speaking about the new series, Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino had this to say.

"We're thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can't wait to realize Aang's world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast. It's a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone's great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we're incredibly grateful to be partnering with them."

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/avatar-the-last-airbender/276369/avatar-live-action-tv-series-coming-from-netflix
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »
Yay...it being a series makes all the difference as well. I wouldn't mind an hour episode ssries, if they go deep into the characters stories more.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2018, 03:31:27 AM »
I guess it's just us who is excited...

I hope this will live up to the hype they brought on.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline max_security

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2018, 06:07:59 AM »
Long time Avatar TLA fan here as well. I wish the follow up ( Korra ) would have went the other way in time like back to Roku or further. But I would be happy with anything from that animation team , the original show was brilliant.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2024, 06:47:44 PM »
I lost a lot of hope and interest when Konietzko and DiMartino quit. Was not intending on watching this after that, but I admit, the trailer looks good.

https://youtu.be/ByAn8DF8Ykk?si=vcX1MvDbMJ663Ox8
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
yes, i realize that 'money' is the answer to all those questions
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2024, 05:55:23 PM »
I'll probably watch this at some point, but at the same time I just have to wonder... why? The original show is basically perfect, and it's built perfectly around its medium. No matter how good the bending special effects are, they're never going to surpass the animated version. Why bother making a TV show of something that was already a TV show? Why is live action the ultimate endstate for any piece of media? Is this just to cater to the morons who don't watch anything animated because it's 'for kids'? Because they're, you know, morons.

I just don't understand it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2024, 09:52:32 AM »
Finding myself really looking forward to this one. Don't know if it'll be good or not, but I'm really interested to see what they do with it.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: yes, i realize that 'money' is the answer to all those questions
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2024, 12:47:47 PM »
I'll probably watch this at some point, but at the same time I just have to wonder... why? The original show is basically perfect, and it's built perfectly around its medium. No matter how good the bending special effects are, they're never going to surpass the animated version. Why bother making a TV show of something that was already a TV show? Why is live action the ultimate endstate for any piece of media? Is this just to cater to the morons who don't watch anything animated because it's 'for kids'? Because they're, you know, morons.

I just don't understand it.

As a rule, there's a bigger (potential) audience for live-action than animated stuff. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2024, 08:57:29 PM »
Yeah, but I called those people morons. I don't want shows made for them. :lol