A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29118 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #455 on: September 12, 2023, 08:39:50 AM »
New shows start tonight. Who's going to watch? Or will you not watch to stand with the writers?
Why would I not watch to stand with the writers?  AFAIK, they are using old clues for this, or clues that were previously written but never used, or something.  They aren't producing new questions using non-union writers.  If they did that, I might consider not watching.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #457 on: December 01, 2023, 12:24:39 PM »
For shame...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jeopardy-fans-dumbfounded-contestants-fail-recognize-legendary-rockers
That they didn't know Houses of the Holy was a problem. Only Pagey is even remotely recognizable, and I didn't notice at first. I'm more surprised about Garth Brooks, honestly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #458 on: December 01, 2023, 01:41:28 PM »
I just watched the clip.

Here's the thing.  Other than a couple one-off appearances, Led Zeppelin hasn't existed in 43 years.  The guy on the far right looked like he's in his 40s, but the other two appeared much younger.  If you're a classic rock fan, then it's a big duh, but if you were born in the late '80s and raised in the '90s and '00s on, e.g., hip-hop or country music, why would you have any familiarity with LZ album names or know what they looked like nearly half a century earlier?  There are an awful lot of artists who existed only before I was born that I wouldn't have recognized when I was 40.  Hell...you could probably come up with a Garth Brooks album and show me a picture and I'd just sit there blinking my eyes, and he was HUGE during my lifetime.

The social media comments about "societal failure" and what-not are predictably stupid.

Also, I'd say Plant is the most recognizable of the four in the picture they showed, but he obviously looks nothing like that now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #459 on: December 01, 2023, 02:49:12 PM »
For any given topic, for any semi-random group of three nerds on a TV game show, there will be gaps.  This one kinda hits hard for people who know, but those who don't, don't care.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #460 on: December 15, 2023, 09:17:51 PM »
Mayim's out as host.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #461 on: December 16, 2023, 03:51:25 AM »
Mayim's out as host.
Well, she's out as a co-host of the main Jeopardy show.

They still hope to work with her for prime time or other versions.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2024, 04:46:10 PM »
Anyone been watching the Celebrity Jeopardy tournament that wrapped up yesterday?

I think was an absolute blast.  The first couple opening round games were a little awkward since they were played while the writers and actors strikes were still going on, but I love the three round format, and some of the celebs were crazy good.  The final 3, in particular, could have held their own in a regular episode.  Ken Jennings even made a comment about how impressive they were playing (although that may have been self-serving hyperbole).  It was a very back-and-forth contest, with all three contestants being in the running until the end, and the winner's reaction was really awesome.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #463 on: January 25, 2024, 08:08:54 AM »
Anyone been watching the Celebrity Jeopardy tournament that wrapped up yesterday?

I think was an absolute blast.  The first couple opening round games were a little awkward since they were played while the writers and actors strikes were still going on, but I love the three round format, and some of the celebs were crazy good.  The final 3, in particular, could have held their own in a regular episode.  Ken Jennings even made a comment about how impressive they were playing (although that may have been self-serving hyperbole).  It was a very back-and-forth contest, with all three contestants being in the running until the end, and the winner's reaction was really awesome.
Yep.  Felt the same way as you.  Thoroughly enjoyed the season and the finale.  Although I didn't think that any of this year's contestants were in the class of last year's winner, Ike Barinholtz.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #464 on: January 25, 2024, 09:47:11 AM »

Yep.  Felt the same way as you.  Thoroughly enjoyed the season and the finale.  Although I didn't think that any of this year's contestants were in the class of last year's winner, Ike Barinholtz.

By the way, I found out after I posted about this yesterday that the Celebrity Jeopardy winner appeared on The Weakest Link back in 2001.  It was a fairly entertaining watch (although some of the other celeb contestants were more than a little annoying).  A couple of questions about things that were very well-known at the time (e.g., the George Clooney/Nicole Kidman move The Peacemaker) seemed incredibly obscure now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #465 on: February 22, 2024, 04:55:25 PM »
This is a couple weeks ago at this point, but this was absolutely hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jeopardyhot/comments/1ajz3ba/double_jeopardy/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2024, 07:55:58 AM »
This is a couple weeks ago at this point, but this was absolutely hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jeopardyhot/comments/1ajz3ba/double_jeopardy/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
lol

I remember making an off-color comment when we watched it.

BTW, Tournament of Champions starts tonight!