Author Topic: Sacrificed Sons Appreciation Thread  (Read 9520 times)

Offline IdoSC

Sacrificed Sons Appreciation Thread
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »
It's been 9/11 in my homeland for 30 minutes now. While I completely forgot about it as it usually hits me when I wake up in the morning rather than midnight, I've just seen a post in Facebook referencing this song (and that was by some girl who doesn't even listen to DT that much either). So, of course, I started to listen to the song immediately because I'm such a DT fanboy.

So, in short, despite the extremely delicate subject, or maybe thanks to it - there is so much to appreciate about this song. Not only does it prove that the band's lyrics tend to be both intellectual and personal/emotional, sometimes at the same time; I personally find it quite unique, since there are so many ballads and slow-paced songs dealing with 9/11 - this song, however, is so progressive and well constructed, giving it a different approach than the one you tend to see.

So, opinions?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Sacrificed Sons Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
You pretty much nailed how I feel about it.  Probably my third favorite on that album behind Octavarium and Panic Attack.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Sacrificed Sons is literally the only DT song I cannot listen to because of the subject matter.  You'd think that after 11 years it would've gotten easier, but it hasn't. :'(

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
Minus the instrumental section and the whole god I'm high I'm a steak part, I like it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
Epic song.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
Appreciated. The delivery of the lyrics slays big time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »
Minus the instrumental section and the whole god I'm high I'm a steak part, I like it.
While I personally don't mind the instrumental section but I don't think it's one of their best ones either, I love how it builds up right into that section of "Teach them what to think and feel" so perfectly, especially with that incredible vocal delivery of the segment. Gives me the chills every time, it emulates the sense of anger and confusion the lyrics try to deliver so brilliantly.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »
Not one of my favorite DT songs but the instrumental section is really good.  I guess I like the music better than the lyrics.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »
While I personally don't mind the instrumental section but I don't think it's one of their best ones either, I love how it builds up right into that section of "Teach them what to think and feel" so perfectly, especially with that incredible vocal delivery of the segment. Gives me the chills every time, it emulates the sense of anger and confusion the lyrics try to deliver so brilliantly.

I can agree with that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
I think it is a well done song minus the instrumental section. It's a cool part, but it seems inappropriate in that context. Everything else is great though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
I love any song that James writes, mainly because he gets such few chances to shine. 

I don't listen to this one much though.  Not necessarily because of the subject, but just because it is a slower song and you need to be in the right mood.

When you are, it is very moving.  I also love the "response" on the followup album. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »
I love any song that James writes, mainly because he gets such few chances to shine. 

I don't listen to this one much though.  Not necessarily because of the subject, but just because it is a slower song and you need to be in the right mood.

When you are, it is very moving.  I also love the "response" on the followup album.

You mean Prophets of War?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Great song. The instrumental section doesn't bothet me, it fits the subject well. It's the part where the Towers fall and the panic that ensued. I can see people running frantically in the streets.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »
A great song that really grew on me when I saw it live.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
One of James' best work lyrically. Plus, it rocks live.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
This song is very similar to Endless Sacrifice and The Ministry Of Lost Souls for me because all of them have slow first half, then long instrumental and solo sections and then some ending and I absolutely loved all of them and they were my favorite songs when the albums came out but they didn't age well. However I still enjoy Sacrificed Sons, when I listen to whole Octavarium it's always awesome, I just don't have any urge to listen to it individually.

Offline Western Ninja

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
One of JLB's best performances IMO.
Every line he delivers fits amazingly well.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »

Yup, thats the one

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
One of my least favorites on Octavarium. The whole thing is just sort of pedestrian for me...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

Yup, thats the one

That's the first time I've heard it being a 'response' to Sacrificed Sons. Was this confirmed anywhere, or did you just make it up because the songs share a similar theme or you think they belong together?

Also, with regards to the song; Octavarium is pretty much my least favourite Dream Theater album. I only ever listen to The Root of All Evil and the title-track and never do I have the interest to listen to any of the other songs on the album. I did however listen to it today, with it being 9/11 and stuff. It's actually pretty good, I must say.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 06:09:07 PM »
That's the first time I've heard it being a 'response' to Sacrificed Sons.

It's not.  He's making it up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. :tup
Squ

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »

Um,  I'm not "making it up".  Sacrificed Sons is about the 9/11 attacks and Prophets of War is about the Iraq War which was claimed by the politicians to be a response to the 9/11 attacks. 

I look at the two as intertwined.  Some terrorists thought they were justified in killing a bunch of people for a stupid reason and Prophets of War is about the United States invading a country that inevitably killed a bunch of people in response to the 9/11 attacks. 

James wrote the lyrics about two things he was disgusted by.  Seems related to me. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
One thing that I always appreciated was that DT wrote and released this song when it was right for them. They didn't rush right after 9/11 like others did, cashgrab or otherwise.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
Great point.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »
Awesome song.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 01:55:31 AM »
One of my favorites on Octavarium, James handled the lyrics well and while the instrumental section is pretty different from the rest of the song, it doesn't feel out of place like the one in TMOLS. I also love the way it leads into the heavy 3rd verse! :metal

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 05:04:38 AM »

Um,  I'm not "making it up".  Sacrificed Sons is about the 9/11 attacks and Prophets of War is about the Iraq War which was claimed by the politicians to be a response to the 9/11 attacks. 

I look at the two as intertwined.  Some terrorists thought they were justified in killing a bunch of people for a stupid reason and Prophets of War is about the United States invading a country that inevitably killed a bunch of people in response to the 9/11 attacks. 

James wrote the lyrics about two things he was disgusted by.  Seems related to me.
Well, James tends to write politically relevant lyrics about subjects he has a strong opinion over. The two songs are absolutely related in that manner, but then they're also related to Elements of Persuasion's "Smashed".

My point is, I don't think JLB consciously wrote PoW as a response based on the political claim that the Iraq War is apparently a response to 9/11. It's very unique and thoughtful to interpret it that way as a fan, and it's quite intriguing to be honest - but I can't say it's factual and intended, especially when we're talking about this specific band member, as he's known for writing lyrics about observations of the life surrounding him, and politics in particular, more than the other ones - he even named an album based on this quality of his.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:38 AM »
Its all getting a bit too political....but just to add something,
Mp wrote the following on his faq of his website,

What is Mike's opinion on going to war with iraq?
MP: I don't know if there's such a thing as pro-war? But, if there is that's me. I mean, nobody wants to go to war, nobody wants to see innocent people killed, but it seems to me that a lot of Americans are quickly forgetting the impact and the outcome of what happened on 9-11. We still have yet to really finish the job. I'm all for doing whatever ...

I think - and I could be wrong here - that this statement was made prior to Octavarium, so Sacraficed Sons could be that reminder to everyone. I know James wrote it but you could see it being MP's initial idea.

Sorry if I open up a can of worms here !!!!

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:04 AM »
Its all getting a bit too political....but just to add something,
Mp wrote the following on his faq of his website,

What is Mike's opinion on going to war with iraq?
MP: I don't know if there's such a thing as pro-war? But, if there is that's me. I mean, nobody wants to go to war, nobody wants to see innocent people killed, but it seems to me that a lot of Americans are quickly forgetting the impact and the outcome of what happened on 9-11. We still have yet to really finish the job. I'm all for doing whatever ...

I think - and I could be wrong here - that this statement was made prior to Octavarium, so Sacraficed Sons could be that reminder to everyone. I know James wrote it but you could see it being MP's initial idea.

Sorry if I open up a can of worms here !!!!
I don't see how it's getting political. We only discussed whether or not Sacrificed Sons and PoW are consciously related to each other lyrically or if it's just two matters James happens to care about enough to write songs regarding them. No obvious opinion was brought up in this thread, IIRC, other than the ones James showcased in these two songs.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »

Well, James tends to write politically relevant lyrics about subjects he has a strong opinion over. The two songs are absolutely related in that manner, but then they're also related to Elements of Persuasion's "Smashed".

My point is, I don't think JLB consciously wrote PoW as a response based on the political claim that the Iraq War is apparently a response to 9/11. It's very unique and thoughtful to interpret it that way as a fan, and it's quite intriguing to be honest - but I can't say it's factual and intended, especially when we're talking about this specific band member, as he's known for writing lyrics about observations of the life surrounding him, and politics in particular, more than the other ones - he even named an album based on this quality of his.

Good point.  I just think it is too much of a coincidence that the two were the only two lyrics he wrote on the two albums (minus Medicate, which is a part of a different concept).  The only way we will truly know is if someone were to ask him. 

I also think its interesting that James wrote an anti-war song when Mike was clearly in support of the Iraq War. 

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:25 AM »

Good point.  I just think it is too much of a coincidence that the two were the only two lyrics he wrote on the two albums (minus Medicate, which is a part of a different concept).  The only way we will truly know is if someone were to ask him. 

I also think its interesting that James wrote an anti-war song when Mike was clearly in support of the Iraq War. 

Don't forget that a lot may of changed from when Mike said what he did. as the lyrics of POW seems to suggest being taken in and lied to i.e the connection between 9/11 and Iraq, weapons of mass destruction.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:16:03 AM by Bill Carson »

Offline mocool13

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
My second favorite track on Octavarium. Awesome instrumental section and the song ends amazingly

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »
it took me a while to warm up to octavarium but this is the song that got me into it and i love it alot!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.