Author Topic: Blade Runner  (Read 1399 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Blade Runner
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:10:33 PM »
This movie has been talked about in other threads, but I think it deserves its own.  This movie still, and always will rule.  Just figured it deserved some attention as it will be released shortly in the 30th anniversary edition.  Package looks very cool, not sure if there will be much difference than the 5 disc edition released in 2007.  But just an addicting movie overall.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blade Runner
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »
This is my favorite movie of all time.
I read the book prior to watching the movie and as it always does, the book is better however in this case the changes introduced in the movie are very well thought and the plot that is created is actually good even though it's very different from the original one.
There's also the fact that Ridley Scott consulted with Phillip Dick prior to releasing the movie and that's why the tone of the movie resembles so much the one of the book.
And of course, Harrison Ford  :metal
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
One of my favorite movies as well.  I nabbed the five-BD set when it came out, just because I got a great deal on it.  I only ever watch the final cut, the one actually authorized by Ridley Scott.

I thought it was funny to learn that the deadpan narration in the theatrical release was added at the studio's insistence.  Ford and Scott didn't want to do it, and finally they decided that Ford should do it, but do it so badly, so deadpan, that the studio would realize their mistake and have no choice but to let the film go without it.  The studio loved it, because with film noir, the more deadpan, the better.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
I enjoy the final cut the best as well.  The changes they made to the movie only improve it in my opinion and just remove some of the glaring mistakes.  The dangerous days documentary was very interesting as well.  I enjoy all versions of the film, but I think removing the narration only adds to the darkness and mystique of the movie.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
I haven't seen this in a long, long time, and don't even know what version it was. It might have been the original theatrical release. I remember being disappointed, because I was a kid and wanted it to be like Star Wars. I need to revisit. Doesn't appear to be available on netflix, and I don't need to buy a set with all 26 editions. Can't they just release the final cut on its own?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
I think there's a Blu-ray version with just the original version and the final cut.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
I think there's a Blu-ray version with just the original version and the final cut.

Yeah there is a single version with the final cut.  I belive thats the only one out there now, the 5 disc one is out of print for the timebeing until it gets rereleased in October.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
Watched the theatrical cut only and didn't really like it. I've alway got the impression that Scott always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to theatrical releases because the pacing is erratic.

Offline Cable

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16:53 PM »

I thought it was funny to learn that the deadpan narration in the theatrical release was added at the studio's insistence.  Ford and Scott didn't want to do it, and finally they decided that Ford should do it, but do it so badly, so deadpan, that the studio would realize their mistake and have no choice but to let the film go without it.  The studio loved it, because with film noir, the more deadpan, the better.

I always thought this, and read this. However, *I think* Ridley said on the commentary track (I have not gotten through the whole thing) that he wanted the voice-over. It is just the circumstances surrounding it that he hated I would guess.

Even if Ford did not mail in the voice-over, I still think the film would be better without it.
---

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
Maybe it was just Ford who didn't want to do it.  But that seems kinda weird.  I mean, he's the actor, his job is to do what the script says, the way the director says to do it.  If there's a voiceover, you do it.  If Scott wanted it but Ford didn't, I don't see how there would even be an argument.  It's in.

Unless what I'm misremembering is that Scott wanted it but Ford thought it was dumb, so he did it as badly as he could, and Scott liked it anyway.  But that doesn't really make sense, either, because it's not in the final cut, which accordingly to Ridley Scott, is exactly how he wants it to be.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »
The film is back in the spotlights at the moment. This week (and next week) it's (The Final Cut, that is) playing in cinemas all over the world.

I saw it yesterday. I've seen the film many times, but it was so good I'm thinking I'll get another viewing next week.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online faizoff

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 12:00:40 PM »
I was thinking of watching it again, I have the 3 disc edition which is the compressed version of the 5 disc version I believe. The extras are fantastic on it. The work done to clean and restore the print and the lengths they went to it is extraordinary.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
I haven't seen this in a long, long time, and don't even know what version it was. It might have been the original theatrical release. I remember being disappointed, because I was a kid and wanted it to be like Star Wars. I need to revisit. Doesn't appear to be available on netflix, and I don't need to buy a set with all 26 editions. Can't they just release the final cut on its own?
Same here. Saw it in theaters and thought it was alright, but didn't really click with me. It's on the shortlist of movies to watch.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »
It's in theaters right now?  :eek

looks like I have something to do this week
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin