Author Topic: lonestar's Top 50 Albums v. The Soundtrack of My Life-Honorable Mentions....  (Read 48716 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: lonestar's Top 50 Albums v. The Soundtrack of My Life...
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
Another good update, Loney - not sure if I'd have ADToE in my as yet nonexistent Top 50, but that's not because I don't think it's a good album.

And what can I say about Exit Stage Left.  I also owned the VHS of the show and played it as much as Marilyn Chambers's Behind The Green Door.

We owned ESL on videodisc (not to be confused with laser disc, mind) and my brother and I about wore the thing out playing it to death. :metal

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
I think it's safe to say that ADTOE is the first of many DT albums on the list.

And my vhs of ESL was as fuzzy as a vhs of the pool scene from Fast Times.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »
Glad there's love for ADTOE, as I do love that album a lot.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
And my vhs of ESL was as fuzzy as a vhs of the pool scene from Fast Times.

Nice. :lol :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
I'm happy to see ADTOE love.  :hefdaddy

That lyric resonates with me too, 'cos I've done that.

Can't go wrong with Rush.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »
make the pictures bigger :3
I love beautiful things.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
make the pictures bigger :3

I'd love to, what's the easiest way?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
Lonestar, just got back from vacation. It's good to see you start your list. I'm sure it'll bring back memories for me as well.

The Lovely Mrs TAC and I were just listening to Crimes Of Passion the other day. I definitely prefer In The Heat Of The Night, though.

I have Montrose on vinyl. Never did listen to Demon. I will definitely check it out. Great picks on ADTOE (will be on my list too!) and Exit Stage Left, the first Rush album I bought in real time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
3 for 3 there buddy. Good picks.  I always was a big fan of all Rush's live albums, although the lack of ESL being a complete concert always put it behind A Show of Hands for me.

Oh, and I too had that VHS - now the DVD from the Replay compilation.

I think there haven't been too many Live albums on top 50s, as that (and "Best Of") was supposed to be a no-no. Things have evolved to a 'to-each-their-own' thing now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2012, 09:21:05 PM »
3 for 3 there buddy. Good picks.  I always was a big fan of all Rush's live albums, although the lack of ESL being a complete concert always put it behind A Show of Hands for me.

I think there haven't been too many Live albums on top 50s, as that (and "Best Of") was supposed to be a no-no. Things have evolved to a 'to-each-their-own' thing now.

Yeah, I figured you would hit all of those. In fact, nost of the rest of the list with the exception of a few bands should be very familiar to you.

As to the live albums, there were two that I just couldn't leave off in good concience, once I had made that decision, I let some more slip in.  It's somewhere between 6 and 9 or something, I love live albums.

Keep in mind, one of my biggest criteria in making this list was how much time did I spend listening to an album, those with the most time are on the list, for the most part. I did make a few exceptions, but that was the no. 1 criteria.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
THat Rush album is amazing. Like The Who but never really got around to checking their albums. I seriously wouldn't put ADTOE in my top 500, that's opinions for you though.  I must say, it is growing on me more than what it did last year.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »

Yeah, I figured you would hit all of those. In fact, nost of the rest of the list with the exception of a few bands should be very familiar to you.

As to the live albums, there were two that I just couldn't leave off in good concience, once I had made that decision, I let some more slip in.  It's somewhere between 6 and 9 or something, I love live albums.

Keep in mind, one of my biggest criteria in making this list was how much time did I spend listening to an album, those with the most time are on the list, for the most part. I did make a few exceptions, but that was the no. 1 criteria.

Phew!  I was gettin worried you were going to go with an eclectic approach.  And I hear ya on live albums.  I've got a bunch, but have really strayed to concert DVDs (to watch while I'm on bike or treadmill).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2012, 10:08:12 PM »
IMO, concert DVDs >>>>> concert CDs.  Your mileage may vary, however.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
Excellent Rush choice.. I love live albums too.... and Rush gigs are always goosebumps all the way!!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »
Gracias, much more Rush to come, trust me. They are killer live, seen them many, many times.

And just to confuse the shit out of myself, I just rearranged the whole remaining list, cause I remembered an album that just couldn't be left off. Had to drop one.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2012, 02:21:46 AM »
just give us two 15 or sth mang....

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2012, 02:49:55 AM »
Or do the 51st as an honorable mention.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2012, 04:30:11 AM »
There are live albums in my list too. I used to be a big fan but now I'm more likely to watch the dvd than listen to the album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2012, 04:38:54 AM »

Yeah, no kidding.  You could probably double up a couple of rankings.  I know I don't pay enough attention to notice.  :lolpalm:

*awaits today's entry*

:corn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2012, 06:08:01 AM »
I don't eveny any of you trying to figure out your top 50 and then writing them all out.  I'd have to quit my job to assemble that list. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2012, 07:25:26 AM »

I'm not even telling you guys what I dropped, I'd probably get lynched or something. :lol

OK, update time.....

41-Blind Melon-Blind Melon(1992)
I had heard the hit No Rain when it came out, and liked it, but pursued the album no further until much later, and am sad for having missed out on all that time with such a soulful album. I had come home about six years ago to my roommate playing it, and was loving every bit of it, then heard No Rain, and was shocked that it was Blind Melon. From a bluesy ground, they built a standout album full of life and soul, carried by the insane vocals of the late Shannon Hoon. Eventually a lot of this one has turned into a go to album in my harder emotional times, when I need a song's shoulder to cry on, it just seems so fit right into that mood for me these days.

“And when your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming boy, cause when you stop dreaming it’s time to die.”

Suggested Songs:No Rain, Change, Tones of Home

40-Styx-Pieces of Eight(1978)
In the late seventies and early eighties,Styx had one of the best four album runs of any band. This one was one of my favorites from a lot of their music that I truly loved. Staples like Blue Collar Man and Renegade have been spinning my whole life, and I’m OK was one song I turned to in my youth when I was feeling down and picked on by the world. Just so much great music from this band at this time, I loved listening to them. Next to The Who and Yes, I spun them as a kid more than any other band,  and still listen to this album and the others(except Kilroy) a lot.

“But real life isn’t like school, there are lessons that just can’t be taught”

Suggested Songs:Blue Collar Man, Renegade, Great White Hope

39-Tesla-Five Man Acoustical Jam(1990)
Now, first off, I consider Tesla the most underrated band in American music. Classic rock that emerged from the hairspray and makeup of the glam metal era, they were about the most refreshing thing that could have come out in the eighties for me. No jokes, no gimmiks, just fucking rock and roll. All of my love for Tesla was spurned by this release. Though they had a number of great studio albums, I picked this one for a few reasons. First, it is a great live album, five guys just jamming and screwing around and having fun, it shows so well in the final product. Second, the covers, they do outstanding covers of Signs, Trucking, and We Can Work it Out. Third, and most important to me, it introduced me to the acoustic show, something that I love now. There was a wave of acoustic albums coming out at the time due to MTVs unplugged series, most notably to me was Clapton’s, but I feel Tesla’s effort topped them all.

Suggested Songs:Signs, The Way it Is, Modern Day Cowboy

Next one coming up tomorrow. Looking ahead, I think from a historical perspective, it might be one of the strongest three album updates in Top 50 history.....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:11:41 PM by lonestar »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »
Styx  :tup. Finally an album I have heard  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »
Never had the Blind Melon album, but remember No Rain quite distinctly.  First year Uni... that song comes on at the dance club on campus, and the girl (Carmella ... true story, that's her name) in our Business class with the hottest body, and the biggest rack gets super excited, runs right be me and a couple of buddies to get to the dance floor, ends up doubling back and bouncing around for 4 minutes right in front of us.  For 20 years, I can't hear that song and not think of Carm.  That image is burned into my mind.

Good times.

Pieces of Eight... beauty album.

Tesla... you're bang on.  So many bands tagged as 'glam' never shook that stigma when the grunge genre took hold.  Never did like the Clapton unplugged, but this (and Rod Stewart) got a lot of spins on my CD player.  "We're from Fill A Dell FI EH!

Have you checked out the new Tesla?  It's pretty good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2012, 07:49:15 AM »
Pieces of Eight is one of 3 Styx Cds I own (Paradise Theater & The Grand Illusion). Nice album. And I LOVE Tesla. Great underappreciated band.

I actually bought the Blind Melon in a used CD shop many years ago. I thought it was dreadful.. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »
New Tesla? Goddammit, the last fucking thing I need right now is more new music!!! :rollin

Your right about the Rod Stewart one though, Handbags and Gladrags is one of my favorite songs.

Pieces of Eight is one of 3 Styx Cds I own (Paradise Theater & The Grand Illusion). Nice album. And I LOVE Tesla. Great underappreciated band.

I actually bought the Blind Melon in a used CD shop many years ago. I thought it was dreadful.. :D

ouch!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2012, 08:00:02 AM »
Styx  :tup. Finally an album I have heard  :lol

Trust me dude, you're gonna have a ton more by list's end.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »
New Tesla? Goddammit, the last fucking thing I need right now is more new music!!! :rollin

Tell me about it.  I went and started re-discovering the late 90s and 00s music from some of my favorite hair metal bands - Firehouse, Slaughter, Crue, Tesla, Mr. Big, Whitesnake, Europe, Cinderella (Edit ... Tom Keifer has a new release coming in 2013).  A lot of it is really good.  Check your Spotify inbox.

Your right about the Rod Stewart one though, Handbags and Gladrags is one of my favorite songs.

That was one of my fave's from that album too.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:06:36 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Loved Tesla and 5 Man... was really cool at the time, then everyone had to go Unplugged. Not many succeeded as well as Tesla did.

I like some Styx but I'm more of a best of fan really.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »
I saw Tesla touring for their second album with Great White and Badlands, and man, did Tesla rip shit up live. If I were to break concerts down into individual sets rather than the overall concert experience, Tesla's set would be top five in my list of concerts I've gone to. They were a 70s hard rock band that somehow managed to get signed in the 80s, one of my favorite bands of all time.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
Blind Melon album is great although I can see it not getting a lot of appreciation around here. Very cool to see you list it and it was under consideration for mine too.

I really enjoy Tesla and agree they've been somewhat underrated but I prefer them plugged in. Having said that, that's a cool album as well.  :yarr

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
Shannon Hoon and Kurt Cobain
Make yourself a household name

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Just let this thread breathe, Mason.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
 :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
That post was meant light-heartedly too as I wasn't trying to draw a line in the sand.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
It's looking good so far :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey