Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490128 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #3745 on: October 22, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »
Rolling Stone interview with Geddy (primarily concerning Hemispheres):  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rush-geddy-lee-interview-prog-rock-hemispheres-738828/
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3746 on: October 22, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »
Rolling Stone interview with Geddy (primarily concerning Hemispheres):  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rush-geddy-lee-interview-prog-rock-hemispheres-738828/

I saw this earlier.  Good read!

I'd love to hear the story on Alex's finger injury due to a "bedroom accident." :lol :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3747 on: October 23, 2018, 10:14:56 AM »

I'd love to hear the story on Alex's finger injury due to a "bedroom accident." :lol :lol

Any other band, it would be "Alex and some girl he met backstage," but with Rush, it's "Alex and his wife."  LOL!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3748 on: October 23, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »
Exactly. :lol :lol

It doesn't get much chatter, but My Favorite Headache is a really nice listen. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3749 on: October 23, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »
Slipping & Still are amazing songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3750 on: October 23, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
I like those a lot.  I am always partial to The Present Tense, largely because that bridge in the middle is money and features some of Geddy's best singing ever, but the whole album is pretty darn good.  I really like it for what it is, but it is hard to not imagine what it would have sounded had Geddy brought those songs in and it became a Rush album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3751 on: October 23, 2018, 08:32:29 PM »
I would love to hear what they would have brought to those songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3752 on: November 04, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »
In 10 days, My Favorite Headache will have been release 18 years ago exactly.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3753 on: November 04, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »

Here's how it was jokingly explained away at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFVGLQ9r7E

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3754 on: November 04, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
In 10 days, My Favorite Headache will have been release 18 years ago exactly.

Such a great album. Here's to hoping Ged finally gives us a follow-up now that Rush is done and he still seems to have the itch to make music.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3755 on: November 04, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
I was a little late in doing it, but I did finally pre-order my Hemispheres boxed set.   

Like others, I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't get a full show from the Hemispheres tour, but the 5.1 BluRay and all the added goodies will hopefully make up for it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3756 on: November 10, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
I was a little late in doing it, but I did finally pre-order my Hemispheres boxed set.   

Like others, I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't get a full show from the Hemispheres tour, but the 5.1 BluRay and all the added goodies will hopefully make up for it.

I'm hoping they at least remixed the Pink Pop Festival set instead of just cloning any of the bootlegs that are already out there.

Offline outoftune

« Reply #3757 on: November 10, 2018, 03:26:36 PM »
I was at the Pink Pop festival in 1979. My first Rush concert, didn't miss a Rush concert after that one in Holland. :metal
(btw: I have a DVD with footage from that concert, have to look it up, forgot the title)

MH

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3758 on: November 10, 2018, 05:05:30 PM »
I was at the Pink Pop festival in 1979. My first Rush concert, didn't miss a Rush concert after that one in Holland. :metal
(btw: I have a DVD with footage from that concert, have to look it up, forgot the title)

MH

Wow! Welcome to DTF, man!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline outoftune

« Reply #3759 on: November 11, 2018, 03:44:20 AM »
That was a loooong time ago. Shows my age I guess......

MH

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3760 on: November 11, 2018, 06:03:50 AM »
By your post rate, you're going to be close to 70 by the time you reach your 23rd post.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline outoftune

« Reply #3761 on: November 11, 2018, 06:09:26 AM »
 :rollin

MH

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3762 on: November 11, 2018, 06:20:49 AM »
Speaking of PinkPop '79, that's really my favorite era of Rush. One of my all time favorite Rush boots is the Boston 1-11-79 one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3763 on: November 11, 2018, 07:38:13 AM »
Hot damn man! That's awesome!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3764 on: November 16, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
Getting ready to leave to go into the office and at 8am this morning the mail truck pulls up and delivers my super mega deluxe Hemispheres box. So glad it doesn't have to sit out in the cold all day. Box is huge and in perfect condition. Can't dig into it until I get home.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3765 on: November 16, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
Late last night, sometime around 1am EST I think, the Rush YouTube channel uploaded 4 videos of the songs from Hemispheres. Warning- there are a LOT of brains...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3766 on: November 16, 2018, 11:12:26 PM »
Ah, Abbey Road remasters for the win! The album sounds so good.

Listened to Xanadu from the Pinkpop show through headphones and it's a little disconcerting. The mix is strange. Geddy's bass is pretty much solely right channel. Makes me feel like something's wrong with my left ear. Alex is balanced pretty well. Neil's snare sounds terrible. Ged's vocals are pretty darn good.

All in all, pretty uneven mix but still pretty decent sound considering the time and the source. I think it might sound better without headphones.

Haven't really dug into the box yet. The book looks really nice with some great photos. I will probably spend some time giving it a good look on Saturday.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3767 on: November 17, 2018, 09:25:59 AM »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3768 on: November 19, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
 For those of you wondering what/how was the event where I me Geddy and Alex (see the pics a few pages back in this thread), my article about the experience was published today. Check it out: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/grapes-under-pressure-iv/?fbclid=IwAR134mt0rQykyX59XSfqV0Dz4I2EtN1wX4CK-9SNWBG5y2DytlhxB0FUrLE

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3769 on: November 21, 2018, 08:37:47 AM »
What’s everyone’s take on 80’s Rush? I’ve been listening through the whole discography and everything past moving pictures is really forgettable. There are a few gems here and there but it’s largely bad imo.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3770 on: November 21, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »
Really? I get the last 2 80's albums being meh. But Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Power Windows are all solid releases. Not every song is top notch, but over all, I feel they're more hit than miss.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3771 on: November 21, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »
Really? I get the last 2 80's albums being meh. But Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Power Windows are all solid releases. Not every song is top notch, but over all, I feel they're more hit than miss.

HAHAHA, that's so cute  how you included Grace Under Pressure in that.  I  suppose since Signals is so awesome, that's the "hit" and p/g is the "miss"?   

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #3772 on: November 21, 2018, 09:17:42 AM »
What’s everyone’s take on 80’s Rush? I’ve been listening through the whole discography and everything past moving pictures is really forgettable. There are a few gems here and there but it’s largely bad imo.

I think it's great. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are my favorites of the bunch. As a fan of 80's music and prog music, it serves as a nice bridge between the two.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3773 on: November 21, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »

HAHAHA, that's so cute  how you included Grace Under Pressure in that.  I  suppose since Signals is so awesome, that's the "hit" and p/g is the "miss"?

I like em man, what can I say?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3774 on: November 21, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
The 80's era is my favorite era of the band.  Presto was the first Rush album I ever purchased, and the A Show of Hands concert video was my first real exposure to the band back when I was a kid.  For the whole decade, I rank them currently as follows:

Moving Pictures
Power Windows
Permanent Waves
Presto
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire

I love all of these albums though.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3775 on: November 21, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
I grew up on the 70's stuff, so it will always be my favorite, and for a long time I had didn't like the synth-heavy 80's stuff.  It wasn't until Presto when they stripped all that away again and got back to basics that I started following Rush again.

Eventually I came to terms with the 80's synthy stuff.  It's still not my favorite era by any means, but it's Rush.  There's very little that these three guys do that's bad, and most of it's pretty good if not great.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3776 on: November 21, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
I think my issue with is I’ve been listening to the albums back to back to back which has given me a bit synth overload.

I also think it’s because of when I got into Rush which was around 10 years ago. My favorite album is snakes and arrows.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3777 on: November 21, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
I think my issue with is I’ve been listening to the albums back to back to back which has given me a bit synth overload.

I also think it’s because of when I got into Rush which was around 10 years ago. My favorite album is snakes and arrows.

Snakes and Arrows holds a place for me. As that album was the tour I first saw Rush.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3778 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:35 PM »
The 80's era is my favorite era of the band.  Presto was the first Rush album I ever purchased, and the A Show of Hands concert video was my first real exposure to the band back when I was a kid.  For the whole decade, I rank them currently as follows:

Moving Pictures
Power Windows
Permanent Waves
Presto
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire

I love all of these albums though.

Moving Pictures
Signals
Presto
Power Windows
Permanent Waves
Hold Your Fire
Grace Under Pressure

Moving Pictures is the clear winner, but Signals and Presto are very close seconds, and Power Windows/Permanent Waves/Hold Your Fire are all pretty close.  The only outlier is Grace.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3779 on: November 22, 2018, 01:33:00 AM »
Grace Under Pressure
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Power Windows
Presto
Hold Your Fire
Signals (as much as I love it, I love the others a little more)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。