Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 494953 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3220 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
I saw Crue once, in  Hartford, on the Dr. Feelgood tour.

Highlights of the show:   

- seeing Tommy walking around backstage in a pair of Doc Martens, a pair of black Speedo's, black and white "batting" gloves, and a chain from his nose ring to his earring, and owning it like he was the most normal guy there; and
- the girl walking around with her booby out - and what a booby - showing everyone where Tommy and Nikki signed it.   

You'll note there is nothing musical about those recollections.  And this from a Kiss fan.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3221 on: April 16, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »
I saw Crue once, in  Hartford, on the Dr. Feelgood tour.

Highlights of the show:   

- seeing Tommy walking around backstage in a pair of Doc Martens, a pair of black Speedo's, black and white "batting" gloves, and a chain from his nose ring to his earring, and owning it like he was the most normal guy there; and
- the girl walking around with her booby out - and what a booby - showing everyone where Tommy and Nikki signed it.   

You'll note there is nothing musical about those recollections.  And this from a Kiss fan.   

Seeing another man in a Speedo should NEVER be a highlight.   :rollin

The highlight of my one Crue concert experience was seeing Heather Locklear just offstage on the other side from where we were sitting and waving at her and getting her to wave back.

Also not a musical highlight.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3222 on: April 16, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
My highlight of seeing Crew on the TOP tour was standing up straight throughout the whole concert and not seeing double.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3223 on: April 16, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
Ha! My complaints about the Rush explosions turned into a Motley Crud discussion.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3224 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
I've been following this thread on and off for a while and I'm a fan of rush but I have question to you guys:

Why is Snakes and Arrows rated so low on some of these lists? I honestly, no joke, think it's rush's greatest album.

Only problem with Snakes and Arrows is that Clockwork Angels came after it.

I've never understood all the love that Clockwork Angels gets.  To me, it falls into Rush's "nothing special" tier (along with Snakes and Arrows, Vapor Trails, the debut, Test for Echo, and Power Windows -- with S&A being at the top of that tier and CA being toward the bottom).  Like S&A, CA has a few good songs (Headlong Flight being the standout), but lots of filler.

I'd put Vapor Trails (original) Snakes And Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three Rush albums from any era. I think they're that good.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3225 on: April 18, 2018, 04:19:41 PM »
Changing subjects a bit...

I'm sure there's stuff buried somewhere in the prior 90+ pages of this thread, but I'm wondering about the anniversary editions of 2112 and AFTK.  What am I really getting if I buy them?  And keep in mind that I'm only asking about the CD version.  I'm not buying vinyl any more than I'm buying a manual typewriter.

According to Amazon,

The 2112 40th anniversary set comes with (1) the remastered album; (2) five covers; (3) "live archive outtakes from Massey Hall 1976;" (4) a live DVD (?); and (5) "bonus videos" of some of the cover songs and some interview footage.  Is there anything noticeably different about the remastered album?  What are the "live archive outtakes"?  How extensive is the live DVD footage?

The AFTK 40th anniversary edition seems to be exclusively audio:  remastered album and two discs of live material that is the entire show from disc 3 of Different Stages (as well as the DT cover of Xanadu and a few other covers).

I could buy both for less than $40, so this isn't really an issue of whether these are worth the $$, but I'm just curious about what I'm actually getting.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: April 18, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
I have just bought both of them; they're still sealed and I haven't listened yet, so I'm curious as to what Ytserush is going to say.  :) :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3227 on: April 18, 2018, 07:19:24 PM »
As a big fan of live Rush albums/bootlegs, it was an amazing treat to FINALLY get the whole Hammersmith Odeon AFTK show, complete with a killer version of "2112", an AFTK-Tour release of "Closer To The Heart", and getting Neil's drum solo back at the end of the show. The covers are pretty nice, too, especially DT's "Xanadu", which is pretty...immaculate. Magini really rocks out on that one, in a way that he doesn't on recent DT albums. I hope doing that cover helps them with their sound on their next album.

As for the 2112 40th Anniversary edition - the covers are OK. I haven't listened to them in a long while, but I think Steven Wilson's "The Twilight Zone" was a stand-out for me. The curiosity of the bunch is the live version of "The Twilight Zone", which is an obvious C-grade bootleg, but considering the piece was only played live a handful of times (less than 5 I believe), it's a unique piece of Rush history to have on an official release.

I'm just really hoping they do a Hemispheres 40th Anniversary set this year. Can you imagine some exciting covers on that? I'd love to hear a band like Tiles or Enchant cover on of those songs, and getting a full live Hemispheres show would be nice (not that there aren't several complete soundboard boots out there already).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3228 on: April 20, 2018, 06:18:58 PM »

I'm sure there's stuff buried somewhere in the prior 90+ pages of this thread, but I'm wondering about the anniversary editions of 2112 and AFTK.  What am I really getting if I buy them?  And keep in mind that I'm only asking about the CD version.  I'm not buying vinyl any more than I'm buying a manual typewriter.

According to Amazon,

The 2112 40th anniversary set comes with (1) the remastered album; (2) five covers; (3) "live archive outtakes from Massey Hall 1976;" (4) a live DVD (?); and (5) "bonus videos" of some of the cover songs and some interview footage.  Is there anything noticeably different about the remastered album?  What are the "live archive outtakes"?  How extensive is the live DVD footage?

The AFTK 40th anniversary edition seems to be exclusively audio:  remastered album and two discs of live material that is the entire show from disc 3 of Different Stages (as well as the DT cover of Xanadu and a few other covers).

I could buy both for less than $40, so this isn't really an issue of whether these are worth the $$, but I'm just curious about what I'm actually getting.

Depends on what you're looking for.

In my case, both of them are the best sounding CD's out there. As for the extras, I don't really go back to the covers all that much. 

The bonus highlights for me on 2112 are the alternate live cuts of 2112 and Something For Nothing, the radio ad, and the conversation with Alex and Terry Brown. 

I'd still like to get a copy of the reissued 45 of The Twilight Zone/ Lessons that was available in the most expensive edition, but I wasn't going to fork over a few hundred for essentially just that (have the original anyway.)

The Capitol Theatre show which was previously available on R40 (I think) and has been professionally restored.  My only issue with that is i have to keep reminding myself what I'm watching because I get this feeling that the audio and video don't appear to come from the same source. It's been cleaned up so much that I have difficulty believing what I'm hearing and seeing is the same thing. Not quite sure how to better explain that. (Maybe I'm expecting to see a color video when I'm hearing the audio.  There is some imbalance that I'm not quite explaining correctly.)

The only bonus highlights for me on "Kings" are the complete Hammersmith show (different mix from Different Stages.) and most of the inside art work.

I actually didn't get 2112 (CD/DVD regular edition) until almost a year later when I got a good deal on it. I was really surprised how good this master of the album sounded so I got  pre-ordered "Kings" (regular CD/DVD) on the basis of how good the CD of 2112 sounded and I wasn't disappointed.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3229 on: April 20, 2018, 06:38:39 PM »
I still haven't had a chance to listen to mine (the short version...my surround sound system in integral to my DVD system.....and I can't get my seperate BluRay player to play 5.1 *thru* the DVD player, so I need a new component before I will be able to play my BluRay's in 5.1)  ....but I have heard that Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix from the deluxe set is amazing.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3230 on: April 23, 2018, 10:59:53 AM »
I ordered AFtK over the weekend.  Probably will order 2112 next time I'm ordering from Amazon (or when I get my next $25 Amazon gift card from my credit card reward program).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3231 on: April 27, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »
I still haven't had a chance to listen to mine (the short version...my surround sound system in integral to my DVD system.....and I can't get my seperate BluRay player to play 5.1 *thru* the DVD player, so I need a new component before I will be able to play my BluRay's in 5.1)  ....but I have heard that Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix from the deluxe set is amazing.

I've heard that too, but I'm not a 5.1 guy so I can't say one way or the other.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3232 on: May 07, 2018, 05:23:55 AM »
Thought this was worth a share. Billy Sheehan jamming with Alex and Neil during soundcheck one night on the Presto tour because Geddy was running late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mxZPc58hZc&feature=youtu.be
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3233 on: May 07, 2018, 06:53:58 AM »
That is AWESOME!  I was at the Seattle show on that tour. It was my first time seeing Rush and I scored a 5th row seat on Alex's side. I was a senior in high school and was completely blown away!
We missed the opening act (Mr. Big) because we caught the late ferry ride across the water. As soon as we got into the arena, the lights went out for Rush and the crowd went nuts.  After that concert, I pretty much started my Rush journey and have been a hard core fan ever since..  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3234 on: May 07, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »
That is AWESOME!  I was at the Seattle show on that tour. It was my first time seeing Rush and I scored a 5th row seat on Alex's side. I was a senior in high school and was completely blown away!
We missed the opening act (Mr. Big) because we caught the late ferry ride across the water. As soon as we got into the arena, the lights went out for Rush and the crowd went nuts.  After that concert, I pretty much started my Rush journey and have been a hard core fan ever since..  :coolio

That's awesome!  I was at that show!  It was my 2nd Rush show, and a friend of mine had bought me and my first wife tickets as a wedding present.  We were way high up in the bowl on Geddy's side....but I still had an awesome time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3235 on: May 07, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
All I could think of was Geddy walking up and going "some c*** is recording this..." and clicking off the tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90AURC1SGg

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3236 on: May 07, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »

According to Amazon,

ytserush pretty much covered it. I went on an on somewhere back in this thread that the selling point on these, for me, is that they are from the Abbey Road remasters. They were originally done for the major vinyl reissue and were only available in either vinyl or HD Audio format. After hearing these, I went back and bought all of the Abbey Road remasters from Rush through Kings. They are the definitive sounding versions of these albums for me. I plan on buying the rest but am waiting to see if there will be any more physical releases of these before I throw down more cash.

Actually the first Abbey Road remaster that I heard was the debut album on vinyl. The Rush Rediscovered release. I put on Here Again and was blown away by the sound.

Sorry, I really love those Abbey Road's.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Rush
« Reply #3237 on: May 07, 2018, 11:40:39 PM »
I've heard a lot of praise for Power Windows, but I've never cared for it that much.

You dumb shit, go listen to Power Windows more.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3238 on: May 07, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »
I've heard a lot of praise for Power Windows, but I've never cared for it that much.

Glad you've upgraded your opinion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3239 on: May 08, 2018, 01:13:46 AM »

:jamaritard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3240 on: May 08, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
 :lol

Power Windows is love. Power Windows is life.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3241 on: May 08, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »

Power Windows is...ummm....ummm....better than Hold Your Fire....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: May 08, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »

What are the five greatest Rush albums of all time?

Power Windows... Power Windows, Power Windows, Power Windows, and Power Windows.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3243 on: May 08, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »

What are the five greatest Rush albums of all time?

Power Windows... Power Windows, Power Windows, Power Windows, and Power Windows.

How could you forget Power Windows?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: May 08, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
All this talk about albums... what say you about Power Windows?  I feel that it doesn't get enough mention here. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3245 on: May 08, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »
Sending out the call to our caped pancake groupie:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3246 on: May 08, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »

Tell me friend, when did TAC the Wise exchange reason for MADNESS?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: May 08, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »

Tim, don't make me DDT you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3248 on: May 08, 2018, 11:16:20 AM »

What are the five worst Rush albums of all time?

Power Windows... Counterparts, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones.

ftfy

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3249 on: May 08, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »

What are the five worst Rush albums of all time?

Power Windows... Counterparts, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones.

ftfy

Fisticuffs at dawn for this poppycock, sir.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3250 on: May 08, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »

Tim, don't make me DDT you.
I know you can do better than 45 minutes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: May 08, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
I can name that move in one minute.. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3252 on: May 08, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »
I can name that move in one minute..

:neverusethis:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3253 on: May 10, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
Thought this was worth a share. Billy Sheehan jamming with Alex and Neil during soundcheck one night on the Presto tour because Geddy was running late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mxZPc58hZc&feature=youtu.be

An oldie, but a goody.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3254 on: May 10, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »

According to Amazon,

ytserush pretty much covered it. I went on an on somewhere back in this thread that the selling point on these, for me, is that they are from the Abbey Road remasters. They were originally done for the major vinyl reissue and were only available in either vinyl or HD Audio format. After hearing these, I went back and bought all of the Abbey Road remasters from Rush through Kings. They are the definitive sounding versions of these albums for me. I plan on buying the rest but am waiting to see if there will be any more physical releases of these before I throw down more cash.

Actually the first Abbey Road remaster that I heard was the debut album on vinyl. The Rush Rediscovered release. I put on Here Again and was blown away by the sound.

Sorry, I really love those Abbey Road's.

I have to figure at this point, It's not going to get any better than those. I really wish ll of them make it to CD eventually. While I'm pretty much locked in on getting any subsequent CD release because of how good they are mastered. It would be nice if the bonus material were icing on the cake and not the missed opportunity they have been so far.

There isn't much that's going to beat the original Mercury years on vinyl, but I can live with the Abbey Road CD's being definitive in cases where there isn't Mobile Fidelity or Audio Fidelity.