Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495722 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2940 on: February 10, 2018, 07:53:02 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2941 on: February 10, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »

He barely looks like he needs to strain during the "Cell of awareness" part of Freewill.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2942 on: February 10, 2018, 01:29:52 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I found a video on youtube of a dude, flawlessly, covering the entire Permanent Waves album.

BY HIMSELF.

It's really insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD5Xo1Tkh4U

Was wondering if that would make it here. Doesn't get much better than that. Sometimes musicians get it and sometimes they don't.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2943 on: February 10, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »
I finally picked up a copy of Vapor Trails at the record store today - the original version. I thought people were exaggerating how bad this album sounds, but no. I haven't heard an album that sounds this awful since St. Anger. This is astonishingly bad. I can't make it through the first song. I'm keeping it for the collection, obviously, but I'll never listen to this version. It's painful. I'm grateful now that my first experience was with the remixed version on Spotify because it is actually a very good album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2944 on: February 10, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »
I only listened through TSOR and Freewill, but that Permanent Waves cover so far is fucking incredible. I would imagine the rest is just as mind blowing. It would be impressive enough for that to come from 3-4 people, but a one man show? Even through just the first two songs, I uttered more than once, “That just isn’t right...” out of awe and, frankly, jealousy. Supremely talented individual mimicking to perfection three masters of their respective instruments. Simply amazing.

And I think I’ve mentioned this before, but since we are on the topic again...

It really is too bad that the original Vapor Trails mix/master was butchered beyond sounding like dogshit. There really is some great material on that record. In spite of its sonic issues, I still loved VT for what it is. And while the releases of the remixed One Little Victory and Earthshine had me excited for the eventual VT remix release, I was pretty disappointed in the final product. All the edge was gone. The overall raw vibe of the original was neutered and it sounded *too* pristine. And the different arrangements of certain songs also bugged me. I think I listened to the remix 2-3 times and haven’t touched it since. The HD tracks version is where it’s at for me. Cleaned up the sound a bit, but kept the balls the original record had.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2945 on: February 11, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
I've just been in awe of that video. The talent on display throughout is insane. Add to that he not only nails the parts, but records and engineered it in such a way that it really sounds a lot like the original recording. Just a phenomenal understanding on display of all things involving music. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2946 on: February 11, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
Also he was playing guitar and bass left handed but drums full on right handed. Very interesting and cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2947 on: February 11, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
Also he was playing guitar and bass left handed but drums full on right handed. Very interesting and cool.

Partially because of how it was how early kits where setup, and because my "teacher" was right handed, but even though I pretty much do everything left-handed it feels much more natural for me to play drums right handed.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2948 on: February 11, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »
I've seen a lot of drummers who were left handed play right handed kits, but they generally do like Mangini and play open hand.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2949 on: February 13, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »
I only listened through TSOR and Freewill, but that Permanent Waves cover so far is fucking incredible. I would imagine the rest is just as mind blowing. It would be impressive enough for that to come from 3-4 people, but a one man show? Even through just the first two songs, I uttered more than once, “That just isn’t right...” out of awe and, frankly, jealousy. Supremely talented individual mimicking to perfection three masters of their respective instruments. Simply amazing.

And I think I’ve mentioned this before, but since we are on the topic again...

It really is too bad that the original Vapor Trails mix/master was butchered beyond sounding like dogshit. There really is some great material on that record. In spite of its sonic issues, I still loved VT for what it is. And while the releases of the remixed One Little Victory and Earthshine had me excited for the eventual VT remix release, I was pretty disappointed in the final product. All the edge was gone. The overall raw vibe of the original was neutered and it sounded *too* pristine. And the different arrangements of certain songs also bugged me. I think I listened to the remix 2-3 times and haven’t touched it since. The HD tracks version is where it’s at for me. Cleaned up the sound a bit, but kept the balls the original record had.

The material is so great on Vapor Trails (original) that it soars over the sonic disaster it ended up being. I think the tracks they played live support that. It's a shame they never played more, but understand why they didn't.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2950 on: February 13, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
I've seen a lot of drummers who were left handed play right handed kits, but they generally do like Mangini and play open hand.

As a left-handed person who learned drums the typical way (cross-handed and right-handed configuration, i.e. riding with my right hand with hi-hat over to my left), I can confirm that it is possible. I can also play open-handed but not as well (I tried learning when I was going through a Carter Beauford phase).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2951 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
This is me as well, except for the HD tracks part. I was also excited for the re-release but have the same issues that you do.  It didn't have the energy of the original, and I wish he hadn't altered the arrangements at all.  I've simply gotten used to the original bad sounding Vapor Trails.  It always sounded worse when I played the cd, but play cds so rarely these days anyway.  When I listen to it on my ipod and ear buds, it works for me.  I imagine the HD tracks is probably the better way for me to go, but if the original doesn't bother me anymore, but I don't really need them.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2952 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
The HD tracks version is where it’s at for me. Cleaned up the sound a bit, but kept the balls the original record had.

Yep. I believe that I was trying to push the HD tracks version on Firewings (Kattlebox) during his odyssey several pages ago. I can't stand the remix. The HD tracks version, while not perfect, is far superior to the original and keeps that oomph.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2953 on: February 14, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »
The HD tracks version is where it’s at for me. Cleaned up the sound a bit, but kept the balls the original record had.

Yep. I believe that I was trying to push the HD tracks version on Firewings (Kattlebox) during his odyssey several pages ago. I can't stand the remix. The HD tracks version, while not perfect, is far superior to the original and keeps that oomph.

For what it's worth, I haven't forgotten about that - although dropping $20 on it is something I'm not really keen on. The remix doesn't bother me at all, I thought it sounded as good as any other album - but hot damn does the original CD sound like ass. I'll never take that CD out of the case again unless I need to rip it again for some reason. It's an unlistenable disaster.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2954 on: February 14, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »

At one point there was an HD of the original mix, but as I understand it it's not available anymore. Supposedly that was the best version available, but I never heard it myself.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2955 on: February 14, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »
I think I may have just found my new favorite Rush cover band. Although they do have some original songs as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laiHVeVPUWc
The vocalist is this band was born to sing Rush songs. Check out some of their live stuff as well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2956 on: February 14, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
At one point there was an HD of the original mix, but as I understand it it's not available anymore. Supposedly that was the best version available, but I never heard it myself.
I believe it's still available here:
https://www.hdtracks.com/vapor-trails

Note that there's a separate entry for the remixed version here:
https://www.hdtracks.com/vapor-trails-remixed
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: February 14, 2018, 06:09:25 PM »
^^ I've never heard of the file formats ALAC before, and I've seen (but don't know anything about) AIFF before. Do you (or anyone really) have any info on those?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2958 on: February 14, 2018, 06:13:23 PM »
I think I may have just found my new favorite Rush cover band. Although they do have some original songs as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laiHVeVPUWc
The vocalist is this band was born to sing Rush songs. Check out some of their live stuff as well.

I LOVE YYNOT!  Rocky's voice is perfect for Rush, and the bass player has Geddy's tone and phrasing down pat.  Check out their covers of Cygnus X-1 (both Books).

The two originals I've heard so far are not particularly Rush-like or proggy, but they're very good.  I believe they have a couple shows coming up in Florida and have done some shows in Southern California.  I missed a show last November but won't miss the next one.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2959 on: February 14, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »
^^ I've never heard of the file formats ALAC before, and I've seen (but don't know anything about) AIFF before. Do you (or anyone really) have any info on those?
ALAC is the Apple equivalent to FLAC (Apple lossless) and AIFF is the Apple equivalent to WAV (uncompressed). Since you don't know what formats they are, I doubt you have a Mac, so I wouldn't worry about either of them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2960 on: February 14, 2018, 06:20:02 PM »
ALAC is the Apple equivalent to FLAC (Apple lossless) and AIFF is the Apple equivalent to WAV (uncompressed). Since you don't know what formats they are, I doubt you have a Mac, so I wouldn't worry about either of them.

Yup, I'm not an Apple guy (not anti-Apple though) so that makes sense. Thanks Scotty!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2961 on: February 14, 2018, 08:14:50 PM »

Scotty posted the right one. It has the release date of 2013 and when you check the 'About this album' tab you'll see it was remastered by Andy Van Dette. That's the good version of the original mix.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2962 on: February 17, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »

Scotty posted the right one. It has the release date of 2013 and when you check the 'About this album' tab you'll see it was remastered by Andy Van Dette. That's the good version of the original mix.

But wasn't there a 128 khz original at one time that was up there and got pulled for some reason? Can't really say because I just have CD only on both of these.  Thought I read that on Hoffman but I could be wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2963 on: February 17, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »

But wasn't there a 128 khz original at one time that was up there and got pulled for some reason? Can't really say because I just have CD only on both of these.  Thought I read that on Hoffman but I could be wrong.

I know the remaster did get pulled for awhile. I bought the HD remaster before the remix was released and before the HD remaster was first pulled. Then at some point it was put back up. My version is 96 kHz/24 which is what is up there now. I can't say if there was a higher resolution.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2964 on: March 07, 2018, 03:24:30 PM »
This may be difficult, but if you had to pick one single favorite Rush song, what would it be?

For me its Anthem (particularly the live version from Different stages. Hot damn  :metal)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2965 on: March 07, 2018, 04:48:46 PM »
Cygnus X-1: Books 1&2....and it’s not even close.

I said it in another thread, but before I discovered Supper’s Ready, I felt Cygnus was the greatest rock song ever written.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2966 on: March 07, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
Oh, if we are allowed to pick two songs as our single favorite Rush song, I will go with 2112 and La Villa Strangiato as my favorite. :hat

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2967 on: March 07, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
This may be difficult, but if you had to pick one single favorite Rush song, what would it be?

Cygnus X-1, Book 2 - Hemispheres.

I stand with those who regard Books 1 and 2 as separate songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2968 on: March 07, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »
Hemispheres. The Garden for non-epics.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2969 on: March 07, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
Available Light

yes, really
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online DTA

« Reply #2970 on: March 07, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
Available Light

yes, really

Thyat's a great song and a worthy favorite. I'd pick Grand Designs.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2971 on: March 07, 2018, 06:52:37 PM »

"La Villa Strangiato" or "Subdivisions". The former is just the pinnacle of their instrumental virtuosity, and is HELLA fun to play on drums. The latter is just one of my favorite songs by them, with great lyrics by Neil, a nice balance of keys and guitar, some good vocals and and tasty bass lines - over-all, just an amazing song from an album that gets overshadowed by those around it.

Runner-ups? "Limelight", "YYZ", "Jacob's Ladder", and "Xanadu". But then again, if I kept going, I'd be here all day and night...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2972 on: March 07, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
If I had to choose only one it would be Hemispheres. Balancing heart and mind is a struggle for every human being, and once you´re aware that there´s a fight going on between the two inside you, this stays in your mind forever!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2973 on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »
But does in stay in your heart as well?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2974 on: March 07, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
Available Light

yes, really

Thyat's a great song and a worthy favorite. I'd pick Grand Designs.

I as lucky to see them play that on the Power Windows tour as an encore. 3 times that tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC