Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495464 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2870 on: December 08, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »
I would just like to say that the live version of "Xanadu" from Exit Stage Left is fucking mind-blowing.  The ending is pure bliss.  Most times you can get away with just one guitar even if the studio version has both lead and rhythm guitars, if you're good; it also helps if the music was basically written that way.  But there's some times when you just have to have the lead guitar wailing with power chords behind it.  The ending of Xanadu, with both of them on the double-necks, both playing pedals, and Neil sounding like at least two or three guys anyway, it's like there's six or seven of them up there, but no, it's just Rush.  Still my favorite power trio, probably always will be.

:metal :metal :metal

That's for sure!  It's even better watching on the ESL DVD (even though they never show Geddy playing the guitar).  Incredible stuff.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2871 on: December 08, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »
I was sure I heard a second guitar in there on ESL, and there are lots of pictures from that era with both of them on doublenecks, so I always assumed that that was the spot.  But you're right; Google can't find me any pictures with both of them on six-strings at the same time.  Geddy's doubleneck is a bass on top and a guitar below, right?  I always figured that that's where he went to it.

So I listened to the end of Xanadu again, and it does sound more like Geddy is playing bass but some serious keyboards at the same time.  Very big, very full sound behind Alex's wailing guitar, so I guess in my head there had to be a rhythm guitar in there.  Geddy had a set of Taurus pedals but I thought this was before he had "real" keyboards on stage.  To play chords like that, he'd have to have the pedals triggering something modular or programmable.  The Oberheim would do the trick, but I didn't think he had that until later.

I haven't seen ESL the video in a while.  I don't currently have a copy.  :(

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2872 on: December 09, 2017, 05:40:02 AM »
I would just like to say that the live version of "Xanadu" from Exit Stage Left is fucking mind-blowing.  The ending is pure bliss.  Most times you can get away with just one guitar even if the studio version has both lead and rhythm guitars, if you're good; it also helps if the music was basically written that way.  But there's some times when you just have to have the lead guitar wailing with power chords behind it.  The ending of Xanadu, with both of them on the double-necks, both playing pedals, and Neil sounding like at least two or three guys anyway, it's like there's six or seven of them up there, but no, it's just Rush.  Still my favorite power trio, probably always will be.

:metal :metal :metal
"Best post of the year, in this thread"!!!  :metal
I'm in full agreement. Also, ESL has the best version of "Passage to Bangkok".  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2873 on: December 11, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
I was sure I heard a second guitar in there on ESL, and there are lots of pictures from that era with both of them on doublenecks, so I always assumed that that was the spot.  But you're right; Google can't find me any pictures with both of them on six-strings at the same time.  Geddy's doubleneck is a bass on top and a guitar below, right?  I always figured that that's where he went to it.

So I listened to the end of Xanadu again, and it does sound more like Geddy is playing bass but some serious keyboards at the same time.  Very big, very full sound behind Alex's wailing guitar, so I guess in my head there had to be a rhythm guitar in there.  Geddy had a set of Taurus pedals but I thought this was before he had "real" keyboards on stage.  To play chords like that, he'd have to have the pedals triggering something modular or programmable.  The Oberheim would do the trick, but I didn't think he had that until later.

I haven't seen ESL the video in a while.  I don't currently have a copy.  :(

If I'm not mistaken (and without doing any research), I believe Geddy had two doublenecks:  one with a 4-string bass on top and a six-string guitar on the bottom (Rickenbacker 4080/6), which was primarily used for A Passage to Bangkok, and the other with a 4-string bass on top and a 12-string guitar on the bottom (Rickenbacker 4080/12), which was primarily used for Xanadu.  The 4080/12 is black or dark blue and is the one he's most often pictured with.  The 4080/6 is cream colored and is shown in this image (among a small handful of others):  https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rDMsBKWTsy4/UietVssXtSI/AAAAAAAHfAU/IF8qza0HgJ4/s640/1170684_10151630216218479_654119533_n.jpg  He used a sunburst model on the R40 tour, but I never saw that one in any earlier photos, so I assume it's a relatively recent addition to his collection.  I believe he may also have used one of the 4080's for parts of Hemispheres, but that was before my time.

Here's the ESL version of Xanadu:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9cpIlSdqo  My statement that the ESL video never shows Geddy playing the guitar isn't completely accurate.  Geddy plays the guitar (which I believe in this case is the 4080/12) during Alex's guitar solo (starting around the 10:48 mark on the video) and through the end of the song.  The camera mostly stays on Alex during the solo.  There is a cut to Geddy around 11:10, but it only shows him from above the top neck on up.  However, it's pretty obvious from the position and motion of his arms that he is playing the bottom neck (he is also standing behind the keyboards, and his body motion indicates to me that he's playing the Taurus pedals (basically going back and forth from E to F#)).  There's also a quick shot of Geddy strumming a chord at 11:41, but it's the same "above the necks" angle, so you don't actually see his hands.  At 11:48, you can see him holding the bottom neck in his left hand while turning some knobs the keyboard with his right hand.  At 11:50 he backs out of the frame to strum the guitar and them moves back into frame to hit a note on the keyboard.  Geddy's guitar is most notable starting at 12:01 when he plays a descending single-note line while Alex is playing arpeggiated chords high on the neck of his 12-string.  Finally, you can see Geddy strumming the song's final chord starting at around 12:03 (first in a close up shot from the side and then in a wide shot from the back of the arena).  That's the only place where you actually get a front shot of Geddy's hands while he's playing the guitar.

The coolest part of the ESL video is at 7:55 where Alex seemlessly switches from his 12-string to his 6-string.

This cover video shows a guy playing the 4080/12, keyboards and Taurus pedals the same way Geddy plays them, and you can clearly see where he plays the guitar neck:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwmKfhxVNOk

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:13:14 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2874 on: December 11, 2017, 03:30:06 PM »
So...  Geddy really is playing guitar behind the solo, and I'm not imagining?  I guess that's what I'm concerned about.  I hate being wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2875 on: December 11, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »
So...  Geddy really is playing guitar behind the solo, and I'm not imagining?  I guess that's what I'm concerned about.  I hate being wrong.

You are correct, sir.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2876 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »
Cool, thanks for confirming. :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2877 on: December 12, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
Nerds.   I say with deep admiration.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2878 on: December 12, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
Nerds.

Hey!  I resemble that remark!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2879 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:40 AM »
Rush was the original Prog Nerd band.  Bands like Yes and Genesis were doing full-on prog in the 70's, but Rush was always closer to straight-up rock and roll, but with strong elements of Prog Nerd throughout.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2880 on: December 13, 2017, 07:25:54 PM »
ytserush, what do you know about the specs on the Sector box sets, specifically the 5.1 mixes on DVD?    I bought Sector 2 and Sector 3 boxes, and while the "AFTK" and "Signals" 5.1 mixes are amazing, I don't know what I'm really dealing with, and don't know that I am getting the most out of them.

My setup is such that my DVD/CD player will decode the disks, but so will my receiver.   So technically, I can listen to any of the Rush disks (any disk, really) in "5.1", as the receiver will "explode" the 2-channel signal into 3/2.1.    With most of my other 5.1 disks (Genesis, Crimson) I can select on the disk what I want the output to be and it will send the signal already in 5.1.   This is important since that means I am getting the mix/5.1 signal that the band wanted me to, not an approximation from the receiver's codec. 

LOng story short, I can't seem to figure out what the Rush signal is supposed to be.  In the DVD menu it says "Surround Sound" and "Stereo" selections, but it doesn't seem to make a difference which one I pick (unless the sonic differences are just not that big, which is a possibility).

First off, I'm not a 5.1 guy, but there is a difference when I play them on my old TV. The mix is definitely different between the two settings.

That said. Geddy and Alex have said they didn't want too many bells and whistles on any 5.1 mixes. They didn't want anything too adventurous.  Haven't heard any recent comments about their thoughts about it in the last 10 years or so. Perhaps their opinion changed?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2881 on: December 13, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »

It's the best sounding A Farewell To Kings CD I own, beating the original atomic, the '97 remaster and the Sector remaster.

These Abbey Road remasters are the essential ones for me. I owned the original discs and the '97 remasters. Ever since I got the Rush Rediscovered 40th release of the first album on vinyl, I have been on a mission with these Abbey Road masters. I could not believe how good that album sounded. 2112 was the first CD release of an Abbey Road master as they were all originally done for just vinyl and the HD Audio releases.

Since then I have bought the HD Audio releases of Rush, Fly By Night, and Caress. I now have 2112 and Farewell on CD. I'm waiting to see what happens next before buying the other albums in HD. Assuming a Hemispheres 40th next.

In my opinion, these Abbey Road masters will be it. I see no way they can improve them or a reason to buy a 4th time (famous last words).

I kind of agree with this. I don't have all of the 2015 vinyl yet and I'm hoping these mixes get released on CD like 2112 and A Farewell Kings.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2882 on: December 13, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
Nerds.   I say with deep admiration.  :)

I'm guilty as charged (again.)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2883 on: December 20, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
Watched the Time Stand Still documentary over the weekend.  I was struck by the dedication, hard work and horrible travel conditions they endured early on, even after they were producing some great music.  All that talent and they were still travelling in a station wagon and taking turns sleeping on the equipment.

And that ovation at the RnR Hall of fame dinner.  Simply beautiful!!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2884 on: December 20, 2017, 08:32:24 AM »
Watched the Time Stand Still documentary over the weekend.  I was struck by the dedication, hard work and horrible travel conditions they endured early on, even after they were producing some great music.  All that talent and they were still travelling in a station wagon and taking turns sleeping on the equipment.

I got it last month and I've watched it three times. That ovation at the RnR dinner is something else. Incredible documentary! Love this band. I hope I got the 3 early concert DVDs for Christmas... :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2885 on: December 20, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »
So my brother sent me a surprise today. We weren't going to exchange gifts this year but I open the box and find a vinyl of Snakes & Arrows which is one my favorite Rush records

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2886 on: December 21, 2017, 03:47:35 PM »
That's way cool!  I found a vinyl of Presto at our local record store not too long ago..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2887 on: December 22, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »

I don't rewatch the whole thing all that much (Beyond The Lighted Stage was way better although it's kind of apples and oranges) because I don't think it was well thought out but I do keep watching three or four scenes.

That induction ceremony was one of them.

Spectacularly Majestic!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2888 on: December 22, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »

I don't rewatch the whole thing all that much (Beyond The Lighted Stage was way better although it's kind of apples and oranges) because I don't think it was well thought out but I do keep watching three or four scenes.

Spectacularly Majestic!

Absolutely. It was emotional the first time I saw the ceremony, and it still is. That reaction was so amazing. I never really cared whether they were inducted or not, but seeing and hearing that reaction from both fans and fellow musicians was just incredible.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2889 on: December 24, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
So I got all three of those Rush concerts tonight. Good parents are good.  :biggrin:

Also got an authentic German stein (wanted one forever) so I know how I'll be enjoying the rest of my night. Cheers folks!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2890 on: December 25, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
It's funny the final score of the Seahawks/Cowboys game was 21-12..  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2891 on: January 05, 2018, 07:02:23 PM »

Spectacularly Majestic!

Absolutely. It was emotional the first time I saw the ceremony, and it still is. That reaction was so amazing. I never really cared whether they were inducted or not, but seeing and hearing that reaction from both fans and fellow musicians was just incredible.

The tears well up every time I watch that scene. 

I was kind of annoyed they were elected too (as I've never had any interest in that Hall Of Fame), but it was totally worth it for those 15 minutes alone.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2892 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:03 AM »

RUSH Guitarist ALEX LIFESON: 'We Have No Plans To Tour Or Record Any More. We're Basically Done'

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rush-guitarist-alex-lifeson-we-have-no-plans-to-tour-or-record-any-more-were-basically-done/

I'm not too upset. Saw them twice and they had an excellent run.

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: January 19, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »

RUSH Guitarist ALEX LIFESON: 'We Have No Plans To Tour Or Record Any More. We're Basically Done'

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rush-guitarist-alex-lifeson-we-have-no-plans-to-tour-or-record-any-more-were-basically-done/

I'm not too upset. Saw them twice and they had an excellent run.

Not a surprise but I'm sure we will hear more from Ged and Alex in some form.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2894 on: January 19, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »
:(

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2895 on: January 19, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »

Nothing new here.  We've known for nearly three years that Neil is basically done as a professional musician.  Both Geddy and Alex have been and will be continuing their careers as musicians.  Geddy and Alex may or may not work together.  If they do so without Neil, it won't be under the "Rush" name.  The theoretical possibility exists that Rush might do something in the studio or a "one off" performance at some point, but anyone who is counting on that happening is just deluding him/herself.

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2896 on: January 19, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »

Nothing new here.  We've known for nearly three years that Neil is basically done as a professional musician.  Both Geddy and Alex have been and will be continuing their careers as musicians.  Geddy and Alex may or may not work together.  If they do so without Neil, it won't be under the "Rush" name.  The theoretical possibility exists that Rush might do something in the studio or a "one off" performance at some point, but anyone who is counting on that happening is just deluding him/herself.

Agreed, I totally believe that when Neil decides it's over for him, it's over.  I don't see that the lure of "one more" or any financial incentive would have any appeal to him.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2897 on: January 19, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
It's about time Ged tours on My Favorite Headache. Maybe even put out a follow-up. I'd be into that.

I made peace that my final show was the Clockwork show in Milwaukee. $$ issues cost me a chance to see the final tour.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2898 on: January 19, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
It's about time Ged tours on My Favorite Headache. Maybe even put out a follow-up. I'd be into that.

I made peace that my final show was the Clockwork show in Milwaukee. $$ issues cost me a chance to see the final tour.

I still listen to My Favourite Headache from time to time. It got even better over time!!! I wouldn´t mind if Geddy toured it and released part II.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2899 on: January 19, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »

I still listen to My Favourite Headache from time to time. It got even better over time!!! I wouldn´t mind if Geddy toured it and released part II.

I haven't listened to this album in a LONG time and honestly can't remember a single song off it.  Guess it's time to break it out.

I could see Neil maybe writing some lyrics for someone and maybe another book or two, but that's about it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2900 on: January 19, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
I'd love to see Alex jump on a G3 tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2901 on: January 19, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
I'd love to see Alex jump on a G3 tour.

I would go see that in a heartbeat

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2902 on: January 19, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »

Yeah. That about sums it up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2903 on: January 19, 2018, 07:58:26 PM »
Yep, this is one of those "nothing to see here" stories. Alex is pretty much reiterating what most of us know already.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2904 on: January 19, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »

I love My Favorite Headache and Victor.

Clockwork was supposed to be the final run. (I'd figured that was the end too.)
There wasn't supposed to be an R40 tour as Neil explained in the last doc.

I hope the music Geddy and/or Alex are doing gets released eventually.