Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490304 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2730 on: November 21, 2017, 07:14:22 AM »
One of the very best music documentaries.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2731 on: November 21, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
I was just thinking about that this morning, how there’s the studio albums and the live shows, but I didn’t remember if the documentaries had been mentioned. Beyond the Lighted Stage is indeed excellent. Their other one, Time Stand Still, is also good, detailing their last tour. It’s not quite up to Stage’s level, I think, plus there’s a bit of a foreboding tone of sadness to it, but still worth a watch.

It’s funny. I was listening to Clockwork Angels this morning since this whole discussion has prompted me to revisit the band. Wish Them Well had just finished, and the opening bass line and strings from The Garden started up, and then I suddenly had to stop what I was doing. Like this wave of emotion came over me and I gradually started crying. It was as if the realization hit me that this was it for Rush. The last song I’d hear of their career. Great music always leaves you wanting more. Rush certainly is no exception.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2732 on: November 21, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
I was just thinking about that this morning, how there’s the studio albums and the live shows, but I didn’t remember if the documentaries had been mentioned. Beyond the Lighted Stage is indeed excellent. Their other one, Time Stand Still, is also good, detailing their last tour. It’s not quite up to Stage’s level, I think, plus there’s a bit of a foreboding tone of sadness to it, but still worth a watch.

It’s funny. I was listening to Clockwork Angels this morning since this whole discussion has prompted me to revisit the band. Wish Them Well had just finished, and the opening bass line and strings from The Garden started up, and then I suddenly had to stop what I was doing. Like this wave of emotion came over me and I gradually started crying. It was as if the realization hit me that this was it for Rush. The last song I’d hear of their career. Great music always leaves you wanting more. Rush certainly is no exception.

Same.  On my first listen to The Garden I was thinking the same thing.  After the fist few notes of Alex's guitar solo I was a mess.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2733 on: November 21, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
And I don't know how ANYONE can say that "The Garden" isn't the song that Rush fans over-rate the most.  For me, I don't even like it the most on the ALBUM.

This x1000

Starting with Roll the Bones, each of Rush's albums had 2-4 songs that probably didn't deserve to make the cut, and The Garden shows up at the end of an album that had me asking "are we there yet?" several minutes earlier.  I barely paid any attention to it at first but then saw folks at the Portnoy forum gooing about it, with some folks saying it was the best Rush song ever.  So I went back and listened to it again and thought "what's the big deal?"  It's fine but does nothing for me.  If the comments I've read are indicative of Rush fans as a whole, it's definitely the most overrated song.  By far.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2734 on: November 21, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »
I think it just comes to the fact that this was it.  This may very well be the final original Rush song that we are ever going to hear and that it's lyrics fit the tone of where they are going to go and, naturally, where are they now.  It's also a darn good song without the context and Alex did a great guitar solo (and surprisingly it was him that did the piano part before going to the solo).

Best Rush song ever?  I wouldn't go that far, but the best song for Rush to call it a career on?  Absolutely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2735 on: November 21, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
I think it just comes to the fact that this was it.  This may very well be the final original Rush song that we are ever going to hear and that it's lyrics fit the tone of where they are going to go and, naturally, where are they now.  It's also a darn good song without the context and Alex did a great guitar solo (and surprisingly it was him that did the piano part before going to the solo).

Best Rush song ever?  I wouldn't go that far, but the best song for Rush to call it a career on?  Absolutely.

This.

I love the song (yet it didn't even make my top 50, although it was close) and think it was a perfect ending to their studio career.  It just has that feeling of finality to it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2736 on: November 21, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
someone is already trying to sell the "Closer to the Heart" 7-inch (for sale on Black Friday Record Store Day) for $58, LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162759056971?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2737 on: November 21, 2017, 11:22:29 PM »
They are done as a live band.   I'm convinced of that.   But hey, there are 19 studio albums.   And Neil himself said that he wasn't closing the door on future studio projects.   I believe it's very possible that we may get one last Rush studio album.   Let's hope for an even 20. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2738 on: November 22, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »
Two things.

1. Why does Freeze have (Part IV of Fear) as its subtitle? What does that mean? Where are the other 3 parts?
2. "Seven Cities of Gold - 1" - what does the "1" indicate?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2739 on: November 22, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
"Fear" is a set of four songs by the band Rush. The composition consists of Part I: "The Enemy Within" (from 1984's Grace Under Pressure), Part II: "The Weapon" (from 1982's Signals), Part III: "Witch Hunt" (from 1981's Moving Pictures) and Part IV: "Freeze" (from 2002's Vapor Trails). Parts I, II, and III were released in reverse order, while Part IV was released a little more than 18 years after Part I. The songs do not follow a set storyline. Instead, they deal with topics relating to the emotion of fear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_(song_series)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: November 22, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
"released in reverse order"

And I thought Rush stopped being prog after Hemispheres  :lol Thanks! What about Seven Cities? I can't find an explanation for that and that's how it appears on Spotify.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2741 on: November 22, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
Seven Cities of Gold is just part of the Clockwork Angels concept story. Unrelated to the other.. Btw, SCOG is a great song with awesome riffs
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2742 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:16 AM »
Seven Cities of Gold is just part of the Clockwork Angels concept story. Unrelated to the other.. Btw, SCOG is a great song with awesome riffs

Right. But what is the point of the 1? What does it mean? (and yes, it is an awesome song  :) )

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2743 on: November 22, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »

Where are you getting the "1" from?  It's not listed that way on the back of the CD or in the CD booklet.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/clockwork-angels-back.jpg

https://www.rush.com/albums/clockwork-angels/
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2744 on: November 22, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »
SCOG kind of stands alone on the record, but in a good way. It has it's own vibe to it and Alex's guitar work is really trippy and creative a little reminiscent of By-Tor, in a way.. The opening bass lines are way sick!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: November 22, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »

Where are you getting the "1" from?  It's not listed that way on the back of the CD or in the CD booklet.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/clockwork-angels-back.jpg

https://www.rush.com/albums/clockwork-angels/

Ahh. I've been listening to it on Spotify while the CD is on its way, and for some reason it has "- 1" at the end of SCOG. I figured it was some weird prog thing where it's there but doesn't mean anything. :lol Their problem then. That explains it!

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2746 on: November 22, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
If there’s this much confusion with labeling and questions about the “Fear” series, just wait until he owns the CDs and starts asking about the “Gangster of Boats” trilogy. ;)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2747 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
If there’s this much confusion with labeling and questions about the “Fear” series, just wait until he owns the CDs and starts asking about the “Gangster of Boats” trilogy. ;)

Hah, the same thought crossed my mind. Just wondering when the Boat question would come.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: November 22, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »
I'm one step ahead of you on that, I caught wind of that while reading up on the Fear songs  :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2749 on: November 22, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
Nevermind the "-1", how about the Spotify titling of "Snakes And Arrows (135484)"
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: November 22, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Nevermind the "-1", how about the Spotify titling of "Snakes And Arrows (135484)"

Thank you!! I was also puzzled by that. WTF??

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2751 on: November 22, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »
Blasphemy alert: I'd listen to either Snakes and Arrows OR Vapor Trails just as easily as Clockwork Angels.  I don't think it's THAT much better than that which came before, until you get to Test For Echo. 

And I don't know how ANYONE can say that "The Garden" isn't the song that Rush fans over-rate the most.  For me, I don't even like it the most on the ALBUM.

You want blasphemy? I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three albums in the catalog. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2752 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »
I watched Beyond The Lighted Stage on Netflix last night. What a great doc. Bunch of nerds. :)

I loved all the stories from back in the day and especially the one about Rush touring with KISS. I actually understand Neil Peart now (at least I think I do) and why he is how he is when it comes to interacting with fans. Really cool to see them having fun before shows all the way to the end, and how each album seemed to get at least a little mention. The information around Hemispheres and why they changed course was really fascinating to me. Hemi is my second favorite album of theirs but I can totally see why they'd want to have avoided going further down that road and took a hard left at Permanent Waves. And Geddy makes me want to play bass.

Sam Dunn did a great job on that doc.

Geddy's made a lot of people want to play bass. His bass book is due out sometime in 2018.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2753 on: November 22, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »

That was the first clue (Neil's) that it was over.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2754 on: November 22, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »

This x1000

Starting with Roll the Bones, each of Rush's albums had 2-4 songs that probably didn't deserve to make the cut, and The Garden shows up at the end of an album that had me asking "are we there yet?" several minutes earlier.  I barely paid any attention to it at first but then saw folks at the Portnoy forum gooing about it, with some folks saying it was the best Rush song ever.  So I went back and listened to it again and thought "what's the big deal?"  It's fine but does nothing for me.  If the comments I've read are indicative of Rush fans as a whole, it's definitely the most overrated song.  By far.

Always interesting to read different opinions.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2755 on: November 22, 2017, 09:04:37 PM »
someone is already trying to sell the "Closer to the Heart" 7-inch (for sale on Black Friday Record Store Day) for $58, LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162759056971?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Good luck with that.

I'm waking up around 7 (yeah!) getting to the store around 8 where the line will be around the building, but will be moving by the time I get there. In two hours I'll have my copy for $10. (Ten bucks is ten bucks.)

I was hoping to sleep in, but that obviously isn't going to happen.

I wish they'd have released The Twilight Zone  45 on Record Store Day last year instead of only making it available exclusively with the first 1000 2112 the super-duper deluxe editions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2756 on: November 23, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »

You want blasphemy? I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three albums in the catalog.

Thanks for the blasphemy. :P :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2757 on: November 23, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
Yeah. I actually don't remember wanting any blasphemy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2758 on: November 23, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
Blasphemy can appear when we least expect it.  We must always be on guard against it, yet ready to respond when it does arise.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2759 on: November 23, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
There is no blasphemy for liking any Rush album!  :angel:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2760 on: November 24, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »

True.

Now, someone liking songs like Time and Motion and Rivendell is another story...:P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2761 on: November 24, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »

True.

Now, someone liking songs like Time and Motion and Rivendell is another story...:P

Better start throwing stones.    I really like Rivendell, and I think Time and Motion is in my top 10 songs from the 90's. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2762 on: November 24, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
Agreed, Rivendell is a relaxing melodic song. Alex's acoustic guitar work is sweet!
Time and Motion is very underrated, It's like the Seven Cities of Gold of Test For Echo..😎

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2763 on: November 24, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
Agreed, Rivendell is a relaxing melodic song. Alex's acoustic guitar work is sweet!
Time and Motion is very underrated, It's like the Seven Cities of Gold of Test For Echo..😎

That's a great comparison.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2764 on: November 24, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
You fellas are cute.  :biggrin: