Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490181 times)

Online SoundscapeMN

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2240 on: September 05, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
10 most underrated Rush Songs:
https://thezreview.com/2017/09/04/the-10-most-underrated-rush-songs/

I'm putting together my own list after reading that. Good list, but it seems largely focused on the most popular era.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2241 on: September 05, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
10 most underrated Rush Songs:
https://thezreview.com/2017/09/04/the-10-most-underrated-rush-songs/

I'm putting together my own list after reading that. Good list, but it seems largely focused on the most popular era.

Underrated? By who? Considering the band themselves have played over half of these tunes in the last 20 years, I don't think they're underrated at all, especially songs like "Xanadu" and "Something For Nothing", both of which I always saw as fan favorites.

I'll give them credit for "Circumstances", "Jacob's Ladder" and "Witch Hunt" as they're more hidden among their more popular and even radio-friendly album-mates, but even by fan-standards, they seem to get as much as attention as anything else from the 2nd Phase of Rush albums.

Of those 10, I'd say "Chemistry" and "The Body Electric" are pretty underrated, but then again, I'd say most of Signals and GUP are underrated and over-shadowed by the albums before them, and even by Power Windows after them, which got a lot of love in recent tours.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2242 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
To me, an underrated song is something like Prime Mover. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2243 on: September 05, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »

Great song, by far the best on HYF imo.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2244 on: September 06, 2017, 12:09:34 AM »
That one is great, the driving verses get me going every time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2245 on: September 06, 2017, 07:10:58 AM »
That bassline!!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2246 on: September 06, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »

Not sure if there is an algorithm for the typical Rush fan. Probably more than a half-step or three  away myself.

Here it is chronologically...

You Can't Fight It

Working Man

In The Mood
Well, to be fair, these are early Rush, sans Neil, but you don't like "Working Man"?! I thought most Rush fans loved it! :justjen

It's still Rush and Neil played those songs from the time he joined. (except for You Can't Fight It of course.)

Closer To The Heart (studio version only...live versions are so much better)

Limelight
Only two songs from Phase 2 - again, two songs I thought most fans loved, especially being such great radio hits as well. I did notice you didn't include ANY songs from Phase 3, which I often see as being albums with songs that fans don't all love or enjoy (especially the likes of "Tai Shan"). You mean to say you enjoy "Tai Shan" more than "Limelight" and "Working Man"? :lol

Yes. You just did the math.

And I love Closer To The Heart but it's gotta be live and more often than not it's gotta have the jam at the end. The studio version is like a stale slice of bread. Limelight just bores me including the solo. The only interesting part of the song for me is the end (and I don't mean after it plays I mean the controlled fury of all three at the end of the song.) Part of the boredom could be because it's been overexposed. There are one or two live versions I don't mind as much but I can't remember what tour they are from. The one from the Snakes And Arrows tour isn't so bad I guess.

Haven't studied this scientifically or anything. Just thought about it now. Limelight might be the least played song live from Side 1 of Moving Pictures which if true would kind of torpedo my argument about it being over exposed (at least live anyway.)

Superconductor (Like the Lyrics understand what they were after with the music. It works, but still rubs me the wrong way)

Face Up (fits with the album theme but it's the picture of cringe in the dictionary

Neurotica

The Speed Of Love (like the instrumental break though)

Carve Away The Stone
These I can understand - if Phase 3 albums had some divisive songs, Phase 4 had them in spades, especially between TFE and RTB, so I'm not surprised to see "Face Up" and "Neurotica" here (I don't care much for them myself), though I do enjoy "The Speed Of Love" and "Carve Away The Stone" is a suitable closer for TFE - not my favorite from that album, but there are far worse. And "Superconductor" is...well..."Superconductor".

Thanks for sharing that interesting list of yours, it got me thinking about everyone listing their least favorite song from each album here, but I think we may have done that in this thread before.

-Marc.

Much easier to list what I'm not into rather than what I am into....pretty much everything.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2247 on: September 08, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »
I guess "underrated" is mostly subjective.  To me, if I love a song more than the average Rush fan I would think it underrated, even if it is widely liked.

The Analog Kid
Time Stand Still
Everyday Glory

Are all top 10 Rush songs for me but I dont think most Rush fans would rank them that high.

And I LOVE Anagram but rarely see much praise for it.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2248 on: September 18, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »
I guess "underrated" is mostly subjective.  To me, if I love a song more than the average Rush fan I would think it underrated, even if it is widely liked.

The Analog Kid
Time Stand Still
Everyday Glory

Are all top 10 Rush songs for me but I dont think most Rush fans would rank them that high.

And I LOVE Anagram but rarely see much praise for it.

I love Everyday Glory.  I can make a greatest hits album from the the group of closers on every album.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2249 on: September 19, 2017, 03:57:31 AM »
I would also throw Scars into the hat of the most underrated songs.

The groove and the atmosphere in the song is just addictive!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2250 on: September 19, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »

I hear the lions hunting in the Serengeti night,
 I get this feeling..   Chills!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2251 on: September 20, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »

I hear the lions hunting in the Serengeti night,
 I get this feeling..   Chills!

I  always think about what Rush would have done with this if they ever brought it back for a subsequent tour.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2252 on: September 20, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
Alex's guitar work is amazing in this song! The minitur solos in the background with lots of delay make it sound more haunting and atmospheric.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2253 on: September 20, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »
I love Scars.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2254 on: September 20, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »
I remember an old Modern Drummer magazine I had that had Neil speak about Scars, I have misplaced it but thank goodness the internet has it.

There's another song on the album, called "Scars." On this song I was playing eight different pads with my hands in a pattern, while I played snare and bass drum parts with my feet. I was using paradiddles with my hands to get the accents in the right place and on the right pads. Then I had to organize the different sounds on the pads correctly so they would fall in the order I wanted them to. Then I had to arrange all of that into a series of rhythmic patterns, not just one. It was more than a day's work before I even played a note.

That was a challenge of a different sort, but it came about in an interesting way. When Geddy and Alex did the demo for the song, they put all kinds of percussion on the track, including congas, timbales, and bongos. We talked about bringing in a percussionist to play in addition to the drum pattern I might play. I wanted to bring in Alex Acuna, someone who is tremendously facile in that area, who could make the track exciting as well as interesting. I figured he could assign me the simple parts and we could do it together. But then they thought, "What if Neil did it all himself using pads?" So it happened as I described, with me playing the percussion parts with my hands and holding down the snare and bass parts with my feet. It was very satisfying to me to come up with a part that worked by myself.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/modern-drummer-12.1989.php

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2255 on: September 20, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
Very cool!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2256 on: September 20, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
That's why he's The Professor.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2257 on: September 20, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
I remember an old Modern Drummer magazine I had that had Neil speak about Scars, I have misplaced it but thank goodness the internet has it.

There's another song on the album, called "Scars." On this song I was playing eight different pads with my hands in a pattern, while I played snare and bass drum parts with my feet. I was using paradiddles with my hands to get the accents in the right place and on the right pads. Then I had to organize the different sounds on the pads correctly so they would fall in the order I wanted them to. Then I had to arrange all of that into a series of rhythmic patterns, not just one. It was more than a day's work before I even played a note.

That was a challenge of a different sort, but it came about in an interesting way. When Geddy and Alex did the demo for the song, they put all kinds of percussion on the track, including congas, timbales, and bongos. We talked about bringing in a percussionist to play in addition to the drum pattern I might play. I wanted to bring in Alex Acuna, someone who is tremendously facile in that area, who could make the track exciting as well as interesting. I figured he could assign me the simple parts and we could do it together. But then they thought, "What if Neil did it all himself using pads?" So it happened as I described, with me playing the percussion parts with my hands and holding down the snare and bass parts with my feet. It was very satisfying to me to come up with a part that worked by myself.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/modern-drummer-12.1989.php

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2258 on: September 20, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »
Oh man, I love that song! The drumming is spectacular on it and it's one of their more obscure but special songs. There are some very original songs on Presto that make it one of my favorite albums.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2259 on: September 21, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »
All the songs they played from Presto after Alex's guitar started to be more prominent again benefitted from the heavier arrangement: Presto, Show Don't Tell, The Pass...and I think that Scars would have sounded amazing on their last tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2260 on: September 23, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »
All the songs they played from Presto after Alex's guitar started to be more prominent again benefitted from the heavier arrangement: Presto, Show Don't Tell, The Pass...and I think that Scars would have sounded amazing on their last tour.

Alex preferred the heavier arrangement on a lot of the older material. I think it seemed to work most of the time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2261 on: September 23, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
Also from what I remember they always said the songs sounded heavy live for Presto and  Roll The Bones and why couldn't they reproduce that in the studio. That was where Counterparts was born.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2262 on: September 30, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
Was listening to Rush In Rio (The CD) for the first time in a while today and it doesn't sound as bad (sonically) as I remember it.  It's still kind of bad, but the crowd isn't a loud as I remember it.

Need to watch the DVD at some point soon.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2263 on: September 30, 2017, 04:56:04 PM »
I remember the cd version sounding really bad.  Listened to it once.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2264 on: September 30, 2017, 05:00:29 PM »
I have the bluray of it and from what I remember it sounded marginally better than the DVD. haven't heard the CD in a while.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online pg1067

« Reply #2265 on: October 02, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »
What's everyone's non-opener/non-closer song from each album? It always seems that the opener is a catchy, very memorable "single" tune, and the closer is often a bombastic, or very epic piece, and because of these things, they're often some fan-favorites! So excluding those two pieces, which song in the middle of an album is your favorite?

Well...

Beneath, Between & Behind
By-Tor
The Necromancer
Xanadu
Cinderella Man
Circumstances
The Threes
Jacob's Ladder
Entre Nous
YYZ
Limelight
Analog Kid
Digital Man
Losing It
Manhattan Project
Marathon
Mission
The Pass
Red Tide
Earthshine
Armor & Sword
Headlong Flight
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online pg1067

« Reply #2266 on: October 02, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »

Interesting...this always seemed to be a song the band really liked but I couldn't stand (still can't).  Fortunately, it fell out of favor pretty quickly (as did most of HYF, save for the only still-listenable song on the album:  Mission).

I also think Scars is one of the worst thing the band ever recorded (although it's probably topped -- or bottomed? -- by another song on the same album:  Hand Over Fist).

As far as underrated songs, here's my list:

Beneath, Between & Behind
Lakeside Park
Tears
A Farewell to Kings
Cinderella Man
Jacob's Ladder (probably only underrated in that the band quickly stopped playing it after the Moving Pictures tour)
Digital Man
Countdown (aside from the entirety of side 1 of Hemispheres, this might be the song I most regret never having seen live)
Between the Wheels
Available Light
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: October 02, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
Middletown Dreams for me folks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2268 on: October 02, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »
I also think Scars is one of the worst thing the band ever recorded (although it's probably topped -- or bottomed? -- by another song on the same album:  Hand Over Fist).

Did you version of Presto come without The Pass? Or War paint?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: October 02, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
Turn around and turn around Tim.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2270 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
Great pick!

And yeah, Rush in Rio doesn't sound too good. Neither on the CD nor DVD.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2271 on: October 02, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »
I think Territories should be high on the underrated list.   I was really happy they resurrected it for the CA tour.   My favorite PoW song, probably my favorite song from the entire post-82 period, and certainly in my top 5 all time Rush songs.   And #1 all time on the "Neil's greatest lyrics" list. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2272 on: October 03, 2017, 01:12:40 AM »

My favorite from Power Windows!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2273 on: October 03, 2017, 03:27:01 AM »
Great pick!

And yeah, Rush in Rio doesn't sound too good. Neither on the CD nor DVD.

It was never going to sound good, when you think of the stadium where it was held. I went to many shows there (Rush in Rio included, but also Pearl Jam, Judas Priest, Megadeth, The Police, Guns n Roses...), and while there's an incredible atmosphere, the sound is never 100%.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2274 on: October 03, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »

Did you version of Presto come without The Pass? Or War paint?

Sure did.  I love The Pass, and while War Paint isn't a favorite, it's light years better than Scars and Hand Over Fist.