Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 494230 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2030 on: June 27, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
Just listened to "My Fave Headache" again for the first time in a while.  I love this album.  You cant help but hear Rush but in a relaxed presentation.  This album gave me some insight as to who in Rush was writing the emotional yet uplifting chord progressions.  Runaway Train is outstanding.

Anyone else love this album?  Admittedly my opinion is peppered with a healthy dose of Rush fanboyism.

I love My Favorite Headache.

Slipping, Still, and Grace to Grace all lined-up was a tremendous way to end the album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2031 on: June 27, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
Still and Slipping are my favorites.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2033 on: June 27, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »
Still and Slipping are my favorites.
Working at Perfekt and and Slipping for me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2034 on: June 27, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
Just listened to "My Fave Headache" again for the first time in a while.  I love this album.  You cant help but hear Rush but in a relaxed presentation.  This album gave me some insight as to who in Rush was writing the emotional yet uplifting chord progressions.  Runaway Train is outstanding.

Anyone else love this album?  Admittedly my opinion is peppered with a healthy dose of Rush fanboyism.

It's a good record.  It's like another Presto, in the sense that it is one of the more easy listening albums by (a member of) Rush.  It's a nice, easy listen.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2035 on: June 28, 2017, 01:30:02 AM »
"Working at perfect, certainly not me,  success to failure, is a matter of degrees". 😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2036 on: July 02, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »

I easily listen to this album more than just about any Rush album from the '70s. It's just so damned accessible. I don't really hear much Rush at all in this though save for maybe the title track. But I totally agree about it being uplifting.

I love Victor too, but don't listen to it as much. Have to be in that space, but that's a killer album as well.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2037 on: July 02, 2017, 08:16:39 PM »

It's a good record.  It's like another Presto, in the sense that it is one of the more easy listening albums by (a member of) Rush.  It's a nice, easy listen.

I sort of get what you're saying

I think it's much heavier and deeper than Presto. (It's also a lot better produced and a lot more polished than Presto also.)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2038 on: July 03, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »
Not better than Presto, but a good album. Geddy wanted to get a solo album out of his system while Neil was on a five year hiatus due to the tragedies he was enduring.
 At first I was thrown off by the lack of guitar solos, probably because I was used to Rush songs. I just had to remember it was a Geddy Lee solo album and not a Geddy and Alex album. lol!  Plus the lack of guitar solos was a bit of a 90's trend.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2039 on: July 03, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »
I think it's probably more accurate to say that Geddy had reached the point where he figured Rush was done and he needed to write and be creative.  That said, I mostly agree with your post.  :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: July 03, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »
Well, they said they had no idea if Rush would go on.  They were all for one and one for all.  So while they were worrying and waiting on Neil both had an outlet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2041 on: July 05, 2017, 06:51:46 AM »
Well hopefully we will see more solo work from Ged and Alex as I guess Neil is done.  But I expect additional literary work from Neil which has always been pretty good.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2042 on: July 05, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
I think Rush will record one more album, perhaps followed by a smaller tour with an opening act..

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2043 on: July 05, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »
I think Rush will record one more album, perhaps followed by a smaller tour with an opening act..

Hope you are right.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2044 on: July 05, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
I'm hoping like The Who and do a small 10 to 12 city tour in the big market cities

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2045 on: July 05, 2017, 01:06:32 PM »
I'm hoping like The Who and do a small 10 to 12 city tour in the big market cities
That would make the perfect co-headlining tour!!!   :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2046 on: July 05, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
Fellas, it is time to let go. Geddy can't sing worth a damn live anymore, and Neil is done.  It's over.  I have accepted it; it's time for you to as well. :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: July 05, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
Fellas, it is time to let go. Geddy can't sing worth a damn live anymore, and Neil is done.  It's over.  I have accepted it; it's time for you to as well. :coolio

They still owe us one album contractually so that still makes me smile.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2048 on: July 05, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
Which tour was it where Geddy's voice last sounded rock solid. Early 90's? or earlier? Later?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2049 on: July 05, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »

They still owe us one album contractually so that still makes me smile.

"Contractually"?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: July 05, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »
Yes. They owe the record company one more.  Us fans should rejoice!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2051 on: July 05, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Which tour was it where Geddy's voice last sounded rock solid. Early 90's? or earlier? Later?
He sounded better than ever on the R30 tour imho. He sounded just fine on the R40 tour in Seattle. The R40 dvd doesn't do it justice,he must have had an off night or was sick or something like that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2052 on: July 05, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »

It'll be all studio left overs, rareties, and covers.

Suckah!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2053 on: July 06, 2017, 05:09:23 AM »
Rush is done.. :-[

Even if Geddy and Alex wanted to do another album, Neil sure as hell doesn't.

They had a fantastic run. They also left us one of the greatest album discographies of all time to enjoy!

I would be very surprised if Rush did something together again..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: July 06, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »

It'll be all studio left overs, rareties, and covers.

Suckah!

Better not be.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2055 on: July 06, 2017, 07:05:02 AM »
Unfortunatly I think that too. In their last documentary,  It really seemed that he was enjoying much more his motocycles rides than the shows (I know he was never really a fan of touring, but still...). He even said that he regretted to accept do the tour. Even after the final show, he runned from the stage to do whatever he always did, while Ged and Alex stood together, kinda conforting each other, in a such delicate moment. Sorry, but I've got the enormous impression that Neil was reaaally disconnected from the band on R40 tour.
About recording again, I also believe that will not happen. Neil always sets a very high bar to his performance and given that nowadays he is basically a retired drummer, I think he believes that he will not deliver a studio performance at an aceeptable level for his standarts. Neil is a complex guy and a bit strange IMO (I'm a big fan, but, despite all the things he went through in life, I already thought this before it all happened).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:11:21 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2056 on: July 06, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Yeah, Neil is definitely a candidate for "Rock God Who Most Wishes He Was Not A Rock God".

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2057 on: July 06, 2017, 07:36:22 AM »
Yeah, Neil is definitely a candidate for "Rock God Who Most Wishes He Was Not A Rock God".
  ;D ;D ;D Very true!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2058 on: July 06, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
It's my understanding that Neil lost interest in the TOURING, not the band or the music.   I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more Rush at some point.  Perhaps the lack of touring would open vistas and we would see something different.  Maybe - akin to the difference between "Neal Morse" and "The Neal Morse Band", we would see an album by this little outfit called "Lee Lifeson and Peart" that is wholly unlike Rush as we know it.

As for the "contractual album", I have mixed emotions; I would love a Rush rarities disk, with live songs, unreleased songs, and b-sides, but I fear it would be comprised of:

1. Vital Signs (Live b-side)
2. Not Fade Away
3. You Can't Fight It
4. Fancy Dancer (Live, 1974)
6. Bad Boy (Live, 1974)
7. Garden Road (Live, 1974)
8. <Blank>
9. <Blank>
10.  <Blank>

...because there isn't anything else.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2059 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
I remember reading a recent article with Alex and he said Rush isn't done yet. That could at least mean that there might be another studio album. Things are pretty hush hush right now on their website. It has been over five year's since their last studio album, hopefully there is one more in them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2060 on: July 06, 2017, 05:36:34 PM »

It was a slow decline, but it seems like the big decline happened in the late 00s.  He was still good on the two legs of the S&A tour (although not nearly what he had been), but then they did the Time Machine tour and the different was noticeable.

He sounded better than ever on the R30 tour imho. He sounded just fine on the R40 tour in Seattle. The R40 dvd doesn't do it justice,he must have had an off night or was sick or something like that.

Better than ever?  Well, to each his own. :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2061 on: July 06, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »
It's my understanding that Neil lost interest in the TOURING, not the band or the music. 

<snip>

I never really had an "interest"....he's made vocal his distaste of touring for a long time.  But the *big* change was his physical ability.   He personally feels he has gotten to a point so as to be incapable of being 100% any more.   He promised himself that when it hit that particular point, it was over.   He honored that promise to himself.     

In fact, he almost made it sound like he hit that point after the CA tour, and got strong armed into the R40 tour.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:50:32 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2062 on: July 06, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
I think he only agreed to it because it was such a short tour.  That is why I am 100% confident that it's done.  I don't see him ever changing his mind.  He is only going to get older, his body is already kicking his ass, and coming to the front of the stage at the end of their last show was symbolic for him; he did that because he knew it was their final show. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2063 on: July 06, 2017, 11:44:18 PM »
I never really had an "interest"....he's made vocal his distaste of touring for a long time.  But the *big* change was his physical ability.   He personally feels he has gotten to a point so as to be incapable of being 100% any more.   He promised himself that when it hit that particular point, it was over.   He honored that promise to himself.     

In fact, he almost made it sound like he hit that point after the CA tour, and got strong armed into the R40 tour.
I think you're correct in that he probably felt he hit that point after the CA tour, but he did not get "strong armed" into doing the R40 tour. I recall reading an article or interview with him, where he promised himself he wouldn't do any more touring *unless* someone else in the band said that they thought one more tour would be it for them (since they were worried they wouldn't be able to do it after said tour). Alex pretty much said exactly that, and Neil, being the principled man that he is (even if just living up to an agreement he made to himself) willingly agreed to do the tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2064 on: July 07, 2017, 03:24:48 AM »
I think he only agreed to it because it was such a short tour.  That is why I am 100% confident that it's done.  I don't see him ever changing his mind.  He is only going to get older, his body is already kicking his ass, and coming to the front of the stage at the end of their last show was symbolic for him; he did that because he knew it was their final show.
And at that moment, I think, Geddy and Alex knew it as well.

It's over.

But they couldn't have gotten out in a better way and with more style. It was a PERFECT ending.