Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 494134 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1925 on: January 24, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1926 on: January 24, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
I'm in the minority in that I loved the original Vapor Trails. Even to the point where it never left my car stereo for four months. Yes, the sonic qualities are abysmal, but I was still able to look past them and enjoy the album in full.

When the first couple tracks for the remixed album came out, I was excited for the whole thing to be heard. I loved the new details in One Little Victory that could now be heard, and I was looking forward to seeing what other things would be uncovered that were previously buried under the mud. Unfortunately, the officially released remixed version underwhelmed me. I was only expecting that the sound would be cleaned up, but some slightly changed arrangements (like in Ceiling Unlimited) or changed/remixed vocal melodies (as in Peaceable Kingdom) made me feel like I was listening to a different record than the one I originally loved.

Between the two mixes, I actually prefer the original. I bought the HD tracks version of the album which retained the original album's punch and rawness while reducing the clipping a bit that it suffered from, so that's the one I like the most.

As far as their last three studio efforts go: CA>VT>>>>>>>S&A. I felt nearly zero energy from Snakes. Even fell asleep listening to it the first time. Aside from Far Cry, Main Monkey Business, and Malignant Narcissism, I felt the rest were just mid-tempo stragglers with uninteresting vocal melodies. Haven't listened to it in years.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: January 25, 2017, 12:03:28 AM »
I agree with you about Snakes & Arrows. It's near the bottom for me and I besides the songs you mentioned, I find it to be a fairly boring release. Mid tempo stragglers is a good way to put it

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1928 on: January 25, 2017, 01:12:34 AM »
Surprised to see the dislike for Snakes & Arrows!

It's not the greatest Rush album sure, but a very good listen regardless.

And lyrically speaking, S&A is Neil's finest hour along with Power Windows IMO.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1929 on: January 25, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
I think S&A is stellar, and I agree that it's one of Neil's best works.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1930 on: January 25, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »
I think S&A sounds spectacular, but it feels like the music was written as a vehicle for Neil's lyrics. I cannot get into that album.

And I still cannot believe that I am the only person that hears Black Sabbath's A National Acrobat in The Main Monkey Business.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1931 on: January 25, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
I agree with you about Snakes & Arrows. It's near the bottom for me and I besides the songs you mentioned, I find it to be a fairly boring release. Mid tempo stragglers is a good way to put it

samesies
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1932 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
I think S&A sounds spectacular, but it feels like the music was written as a vehicle for Neil's lyrics. I cannot get into that album.

And I still cannot believe that I am the only person that hears Black Sabbath's A National Acrobat in The Main Monkey Business.

<Runs downstairs to get his copy of Snakes and Arrows for a re-listen...>

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1933 on: January 25, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »

<Runs downstairs to get his copy of Snakes and Arrows for a re-listen...>

Go to the 50 second mark of TMMB...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1934 on: January 25, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »
I like S&A, but as far as lyrics go, while they are good, no way can I put that album among Neil's best, when looking at just lyrics.  If you ask me which Rush albums have the best lyrics, I'd simply say, pick any 80s Rush album and a strong argument can be made.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1935 on: January 25, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »
Never thought much about my favorite in terms of lyrics. I agree the 80s were his lyrical peak. They could be overwritten in the 70s and he started getting too literal in the 90s, but the 80s got that happy middle.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1936 on: January 30, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
I'm in the minority in that I loved the original Vapor Trails. Even to the point where it never left my car stereo for four months. Yes, the sonic qualities are abysmal, but I was still able to look past them and enjoy the album in full.

When the first couple tracks for the remixed album came out, I was excited for the whole thing to be heard. I loved the new details in One Little Victory that could now be heard, and I was looking forward to seeing what other things would be uncovered that were previously buried under the mud. Unfortunately, the officially released remixed version underwhelmed me. I was only expecting that the sound would be cleaned up, but some slightly changed arrangements (like in Ceiling Unlimited) or changed/remixed vocal melodies (as in Peaceable Kingdom) made me feel like I was listening to a different record than the one I originally loved.

Between the two mixes, I actually prefer the original. I bought the HD tracks version of the album which retained the original album's punch and rawness while reducing the clipping a bit that it suffered from, so that's the one I like the most.

The producer left his finger prints all over the remix.

The last time I couldn't pry Vapor Trails (original) out of my car for at least two weeks was probably last September. I still listened to the remix, but only once in a while for stay familiar with the differences.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1937 on: January 30, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »
Surprised to see the dislike for Snakes & Arrows!

It's not the greatest Rush album sure, but a very good listen regardless.

And lyrically speaking, S&A is Neil's finest hour along with Power Windows IMO.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get Snakes and Arrows out of my car player for a week now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1938 on: January 30, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »
What is it, stuck under the seat? ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1939 on: February 04, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »

Um. No. Ha Ha.

I had a craving for Boiled In Lead so now that's stuck there.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: February 04, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »

lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1941 on: February 04, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »

You son of a bitch. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1942 on: February 25, 2017, 01:27:28 PM »

You son of a bitch. :lol

He's here all week!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1943 on: February 27, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »
Just watched the Time Machine concert dvd/blu-ray again. I forgot how good that show is. It is actually an electrifying performance and the audience is fired up. Great setlist, light show, and sound. Alex is hilarious throughout and his part as Slobovich with the gefilter, priceless!
  Which is your guys' favorite live concert DVD from Rush?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1944 on: February 27, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »
Just watched the Time Machine concert dvd/blu-ray again. I forgot how good that show is. It is actually an electrifying performance and the audience is fired up. Great setlist, light show, and sound. Alex is hilarious throughout and his part as Slobovich with the gefilter, priceless!

Rush in Rio. I was there!!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1945 on: February 27, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »

Rush in Rio. I was there!!!!
That must have been incredible to witness!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1946 on: February 27, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »

Rio and A Show of Hands are 1a and 1b for me.

Exit...Stage Left and the P/G tour ones both could have been the best if they had been full (or close to full) shows.

As great as the set lists were in the last 10 years, Geddy's live vocals were too rough/brutal at times for any of them to be my favorite. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1947 on: February 27, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
The last one is practically unlistenable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1948 on: February 27, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Yep, and that is a shame, considering what a stellar set list that was, especially from the start of Set 2 till the end.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1949 on: February 27, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
Yeah, an amazing show. Serious question, did Geddy catch as much grief on the Rush board as JLB gets here?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: February 27, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
It blows my mind when people think aging rock starts can do what they did in their youth.   I have lowered my expectations knowing this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1951 on: February 27, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
It blows my mind when people think aging rock starts can do what they did in their youth.   I have lowered my expectations knowing this.

Well, there's low expectations, and then there's Geddy on that DVD.

I bought that DVD, and I cannot watch it. I don't know what to say.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: February 27, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
You know what a Rush nut I am.

I've watched it oce.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1953 on: February 27, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
I've watched it oce.

Gonna assume that means 1 time? :lol

So it's not just me being an ass then? ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: February 27, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
Stop pointing out the obvious and yes. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1955 on: February 27, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »
I used to get a new Rush live DVD and watch the crap out of it. The last few I've barely touched after the initial watches...because of the vocals.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: February 27, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
I've tend to watch live Blu Ray concerts less these days.  Not sure why to be honest.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1957 on: February 27, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »
Same here.  For me, I know why; I just don't have as much free time, so everything gets cut back, including time to just sit and watch concert vids.  I still have my commute, so there's always live albums in the car, so that's my fix for now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1958 on: February 27, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
Same here.  For me, I know why; I just don't have as much free time, so everything gets cut back, including time to just sit and watch concert vids.  I still have my commute, so there's always live albums in the car, so that's my fix for now.
Exactly.

I'm usually home alone on Wednesdays, so I might put a DVD or two on in the living room, but I'm usually doing stuff like laundry, cleaning, kids' lunches, etc... I may stop for a few moments to watch but that's about it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1959 on: February 27, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
To me Geddy's vocals are great on R30, and really good on Snakes and Arrows and Time Machine blu-rays. They are pretty painful to listen to on the R40 though. He must have had an off night when they recorded/filmed that show. He sounded amazing in Seattle on the R40 tour..