Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 494237 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1890 on: December 21, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
Happy 2112 day!!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1891 on: December 21, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »
Happy 2112 day!!!

For us who do the calendar properly Jason  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1892 on: December 21, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1893 on: December 29, 2016, 06:50:09 PM »
Anyone get the 2112 reissue?

I'll get it at some point because of the alternate Massey Hall tracks and because it's the best 2112 remaster we are likely to get.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1894 on: December 29, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »
I was looking at it but will likely pass.

I just didnt see the need for all those cover songs.  I want to hear Rush play Rush, not Billy Talent play Rush.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1895 on: December 29, 2016, 07:37:10 PM »
I got it as a Christmas gift. Wasn't super keen on it when they announced it, but I'm interested in the live footage. Haven't checked it out yet.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1896 on: December 29, 2016, 07:43:50 PM »
I was looking at it but will likely pass.

I just didnt see the need for all those cover songs.  I want to hear Rush play Rush, not Billy Talent play Rush.

I agree. What a dumb concept.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1897 on: December 29, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
Yea that really turned me off. It feels like they are really scraping at the bottom of the barrel with this one. Would've preferred something for an album that hasn't had a deluxe edition yet.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1898 on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »
I'm sure there is a boat load of unreleased live material they could have released instead.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1899 on: December 30, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
Well I listened to the covers, they were pretty bad honestly. Dave Grohl and Steven Wilson were OK (although Steven Wilson didn't really do anything all that different with the song), but the other ones were really not good. Alice In Chains wins for worst cover on the disc. They completely missed the appeal of the original version of Tears by throwing in a bunch of overproduced saccharine vocal harmonies and big layered guitars.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1900 on: December 31, 2016, 04:32:44 PM »
How good does the remastered vinyl release of Signals sound?
Way better than the CD, I'm hearing sounds I've never heard before from this record.
Certainly more dynamic and mix sounds a little more fresh and trebly than the duller sounding CD.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1901 on: January 07, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
How good does the remastered vinyl release of Signals sound?
Way better than the CD, I'm hearing sounds I've never heard before from this record.
Certainly more dynamic and mix sounds a little more fresh and trebly than the duller sounding CD.

Sounds like the original vinyl.

I haven't played the 2015 vinyl Signals yet (It's one of the few of the 2015s I've gotten so far.

My favorite on CD is probably the Mobile Fidelity version. It sounds very warm and might sound better than the original vinyl.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1902 on: January 09, 2017, 08:36:32 PM »
In case anyone is still curious about 2112, I posted a brief review on another forum:
Well I got the 2112 40th. Just the standard 40th anniversary. I wasn't going to buy it, but received it as a Christmas gift. The remaster sounds fine, not sure if it's different from the last one they put out. Still doesn't beat the original regardless. But I don't think anyone is interested in yet another remaster of 2112 at this point.

The real meat is, of course, the bonus disc. I'm still disappointed at how filled with cover songs it is, but I understand they didn't have a lot of bonus material to choose from. The covers themselves vary from bad to pretty good.

Overture by the Foo Fighters is fine I guess. They play it pretty straight. Seems like more of a safe choice, would've liked to see them do a part of the suite with vocals. Is it safe to call Nick Raskulinecz a hack at this point? I don't think I've heard any production job by him that sounds good. Always way too loud and compressed to the point where the life is sucked out of the music.

Passage to Bangkok - Not sure Billy Talent is, this one just sounds like the same song with modern production and glam rock vocals. It's OK.

Twilight Zone by Steven Wilson is the best of the bunch by a long shot. The creepy psychedelic tone to this song is perfect for his style. It's close enough to the original but Stevie gives it his own stamp.

Tears by Alice in Chains: I don't like it. Too busy. There are some interesting sounds but I really like how stripped down the original is. But I also consider Tears the second best song after the title track, so I'm pretty biased there.
Something For Nothing is good. It's the same guy who did that awesome Subdivisions cover that was posted in this thread awhile back.

Hilarious that Lessons got snubbed for the covers. I always forget that song exists and apparently they did too when putting this together. Even Alex seems pretty indifferent toward it during the Q&A interview on the DVD.

Live tracks are cool. It's nice to get an almost complete rendition of 2112 from the 70s, I had never heard one before.
I didn't even know they ever performed Twilight Zone live. In the liner notes it says it was only performed twice. Anyway, this recording is really low quality. I'm glad they included it for historic significance, but it shows that once again they are digging at the bottom of the well with this release.

Then you have a radio ad and the solar federation spoken word section isolated. Meh.

The DVD is pretty neat. Almost makes the whole set worth it. The live video is awesome. You get a nearly complete version of 2112 and some other 70s tracks. I've seen clips of this on various documentaries but never the full video. I'm sure the bootleggers are already familiar with this, but it was new to me. Love vintage video. The Q&A was surprisingly really interesting. I thought I had heard everything there was to know about this album by now, but there was actually a lot of new information. I think it helped that they got Alex and Terry Brown to do it instead of the usual suspects, Geddy and Neil. Since Terry is there they spend a lot more time talking about the production side of things. how the songs were recorded and such. Less about the songwriting which has been discussed to death. So I found all that really fascinating.

Liner notes are very expansive. Those are worth a read. You get bits on every song.

Overall, I'd say give this one a pass unless you're a hardcore fan. The whole release seems pointless. I get that there's not a lot to choose from, but why not do something like this for other albums? Or a box set type thing covering the band's entire early period. Just seems like a cash grab. It is better than the last 2112 deluxe edition, but at this point falls under the category of too little too late.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1903 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
Thanks for the detailed review! :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1904 on: January 13, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
This guy performs 'Tom Sawyer' on guitar, drums, and vocals simultaneously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CML3gkL-6N8
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1905 on: January 13, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »
In case anyone is still curious about 2112, I posted a brief review on another forum:
Well I got the 2112 40th. Just the standard 40th anniversary. I wasn't going to buy it, but received it as a Christmas gift. The remaster sounds fine, not sure if it's different from the last one they put out. Still doesn't beat the original regardless. But I don't think anyone is interested in yet another remaster of 2112 at this point.

The real meat is, of course, the bonus disc. I'm still disappointed at how filled with cover songs it is, but I understand they didn't have a lot of bonus material to choose from. The covers themselves vary from bad to pretty good.

Overture by the Foo Fighters is fine I guess. They play it pretty straight. Seems like more of a safe choice, would've liked to see them do a part of the suite with vocals. Is it safe to call Nick Raskulinecz a hack at this point? I don't think I've heard any production job by him that sounds good. Always way too loud and compressed to the point where the life is sucked out of the music.

Passage to Bangkok - Not sure Billy Talent is, this one just sounds like the same song with modern production and glam rock vocals. It's OK.

Twilight Zone by Steven Wilson is the best of the bunch by a long shot. The creepy psychedelic tone to this song is perfect for his style. It's close enough to the original but Stevie gives it his own stamp.

Tears by Alice in Chains: I don't like it. Too busy. There are some interesting sounds but I really like how stripped down the original is. But I also consider Tears the second best song after the title track, so I'm pretty biased there.
Something For Nothing is good. It's the same guy who did that awesome Subdivisions cover that was posted in this thread awhile back.

Hilarious that Lessons got snubbed for the covers. I always forget that song exists and apparently they did too when putting this together. Even Alex seems pretty indifferent toward it during the Q&A interview on the DVD.

Live tracks are cool. It's nice to get an almost complete rendition of 2112 from the 70s, I had never heard one before.
I didn't even know they ever performed Twilight Zone live. In the liner notes it says it was only performed twice. Anyway, this recording is really low quality. I'm glad they included it for historic significance, but it shows that once again they are digging at the bottom of the well with this release.

Then you have a radio ad and the solar federation spoken word section isolated. Meh.

The DVD is pretty neat. Almost makes the whole set worth it. The live video is awesome. You get a nearly complete version of 2112 and some other 70s tracks. I've seen clips of this on various documentaries but never the full video. I'm sure the bootleggers are already familiar with this, but it was new to me. Love vintage video. The Q&A was surprisingly really interesting. I thought I had heard everything there was to know about this album by now, but there was actually a lot of new information. I think it helped that they got Alex and Terry Brown to do it instead of the usual suspects, Geddy and Neil. Since Terry is there they spend a lot more time talking about the production side of things. how the songs were recorded and such. Less about the songwriting which has been discussed to death. So I found all that really fascinating.

Liner notes are very expansive. Those are worth a read. You get bits on every song.

Overall, I'd say give this one a pass unless you're a hardcore fan. The whole release seems pointless. I get that there's not a lot to choose from, but why not do something like this for other albums? Or a box set type thing covering the band's entire early period. Just seems like a cash grab. It is better than the last 2112 deluxe edition, but at this point falls under the category of too little too late.

Vintage video?  You'd probably like the Don Kirshner set and the Anthem and Fly By Night videos then. If you're still looking for '70s, there's videos for A Farewell To Kings, Xanadu, Closer To The Heart, The Trees, Circumstances and La Villa Strangiato.

I'm going to get the new 2112 for the Massey Hall live tracks and I guess the interview would be fun to have too.  Supposedly the Capitol Theatre DVD was remastered so it will be nice to have that as part of this release too. More liner notes are good.

The liner notes SAY it was only performed twice. Who wrote the liners?

I don't know why they needed to re-brand the art of the second release in  a row. (Al least they got Hugh Syme back to do it.) The original art is iconic. Why change it?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1906 on: January 13, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Don't know who wrote the liners, but they mention that they got that information from "various sites". Alex Lifeson also mentions the song in the interview and doesn't seem to remember how often it was played, though he says it was dropped quickly.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1907 on: January 15, 2017, 01:37:17 AM »
Permanent Waves has just turned 37.
Amazing album, and at only 36 mins long, by todays standard it's only an EP.
I much prefer those old Rush albums that were around this length, no filler.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1908 on: January 15, 2017, 10:28:46 AM »
I like those albums too but wish they were longer. That proggy period of Rush was awesome, but there's so little material there.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1909 on: January 15, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
I like those albums too but wish they were longer. That proggy period of Rush was awesome, but there's so little material there.

But we also got an album a year.   If that stuff were released in today's climate, PeW and MP would have been a single album.    So it doesn't really make any difference.   If you want to view them that way.   They are so similar in style that you could mush them into a single album if you wanted to.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1910 on: January 15, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
Well I mean more in comparison to the rest of Rush's catalog. That pure prog rock sound only really lasted a few albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1911 on: January 15, 2017, 10:50:19 AM »
True, but Rush was never a full-fledged prog band; they were a hard rock band at heart, and dipping into prog for a bit was just one of their many phases.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1912 on: January 15, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
Right. Still I just wish that phase lasted longer.

Overall I liked their trajectory as a band. The changes in direction all seemed pretty natural and always came just at the right time.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1913 on: January 17, 2017, 12:08:22 AM »
what's the general consensus on the Vapor Trails remaster? found a good deal on the vinyl and wondered if its worth picking up

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1914 on: January 17, 2017, 12:30:31 AM »
what's the general consensus on the Vapor Trails remaster? found a good deal on the vinyl and wondered if its worth picking up

If the mastering on the original bothered you, in terms of sounding overblown and being too loud, the remaster might help you enjoy the material a bit more. Some fans, however, would agree that the album loses a bit of its punch because of it, but there's some more instrumentation and musical detail that is now apparent thanks to the remaster. It's really a YMMV, but if you really like the material, and don't mind buying the album (again), go for it.

I got into the band around the time the original VT came out, and I spun that album to death (it's got so many scratches from being played in my portable Sony walkman, the one with the blue top and green dots - you know the one). I love the songs and album as a whole, but as my ears got more attuned to what a good sounding album sounded like, I began to notice how hot the album sounded, and how poorly the mastering was. The remaster is a bit of fresh air for the songs, IMO, and don't mind the loss of the raw-punch the original had, just so I can hear the song properly now.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1915 on: January 17, 2017, 12:59:10 AM »
i don't mind the original but since I've never purchased the album Im interested in picking up the LP since i don't think LPs of the original version are as easy to find. thanks  :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1916 on: January 17, 2017, 01:29:37 AM »
I grabbed Vapor Trails as soon as it was out, because it was the first new Rush in so long, but between the direction of the music changing so much and the poor sound quality, I stopped playing it after not too long.

I love the remaster.  People say that it "breathes new life" into the album, and I agree.  Now that more albums have come out since, the change in style and direction isn't a thing, and it sounds great.  I'd rather have something that doesn't hurt my ears, even if it means losing a little bit of the punch (which I don't really miss anyway).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1917 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:04 PM »

There is an original Vapor Trails? Hard to tell, as it's unlistenable. Yeah, perhaps the remaster loses punch (not much), but frankly you can at least listen to it. I wasn't able to appreciate the album at all until I could enjoyably listen to it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1918 on: January 17, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »
Pretty much. The new Vapor Trails is listenable. I don't know if I needed the added EQ change, but I can't complain too much. It's still not one of my favorite Rush albums but the remaster does the job when I need to listen to it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1919 on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
The title track on the VT remaster sounds much worse than the original mix. To me, the bathroom reverb that was added to the vocals ruined it.  Great song though!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1920 on: January 19, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
All this talk of the VT remaster has me wondering how everyone would rank the band's last three albums - and yes, you can use the VT remaster as your VT placement. I think S&A also got a remaster in the Atlantic Years box set, but I've never heard any huge audible difference (though I could be wrong about that).

As for me:
1. Clockwork Angels
2. Vapor Trails (Remaster)
3. Snakes & Arrows

Clockwork Angels is as close to a masterpiece of an album if I've ever heard one, and I would never tire hearing the whole thing all the way through. It was also the only Rush tour I had ever gone to, so it's kind of special to me, in addition to having some great songs.

Vapor Trails is also pretty special to me, as noted before, and having the remaster is pretty great, though I find CA just a bit more to my liking over-all.

And placing S&A last, well, it had to go somewhere, right? After some time, I've grown apart from it, and find myself not listening to that album as a whole much any more. I've found "Far Cry" to be a bit overrated (the whole "Hemispheres"-chord hype kind of blew the whole song out of proportion, and then they kept playing it over and over...), and some of the songs in the back half of the album are just above average for me, nothing too great or different or daring (compared to what they did in the back half of VT, especially with tracks like "Nocturne" and "Freeze"). The instrumentals are all beautiful, but the album has grown a bit more bland to my ears over the years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1921 on: January 19, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »
CA

S&A
VT
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:32:08 PM by fadetoblackdude7 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1922 on: January 19, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »
Clockwork Angels is by far the best of the three.  In fact, I might put that as my 6th or 7th favorite Rush album now.  Stellar from start to finish.

VT and S&A are probably about even for me, with S&A being more consistent, but VT having higher highs (but lower lows).  I'll take the iTunes remaster of VT over the original or that piece of dog crap remix that David Bottrill did.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1923 on: January 24, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »

If the mastering on the original bothered you, in terms of sounding overblown and being too loud, the remaster might help you enjoy the material a bit more. Some fans, however, would agree that the album loses a bit of its punch because of it, but there's some more instrumentation and musical detail that is now apparent thanks to the remaster. It's really a YMMV, but if you really like the material, and don't mind buying the album (again), go for it.

I got into the band around the time the original VT came out, and I spun that album to death (it's got so many scratches from being played in my portable Sony walkman, the one with the blue top and green dots - you know the one). I love the songs and album as a whole, but as my ears got more attuned to what a good sounding album sounded like, I began to notice how hot the album sounded, and how poorly the mastering was. The remaster is a bit of fresh air for the songs, IMO, and don't mind the loss of the raw-punch the original had, just so I can hear the song properly now.

-Marc.

Most definitely a fan of the original (I never opened the vinyl copy o the remix after hearing the remixed CD. Gave it a big chance, but it just doesn't work for me. )

The raw passion of the original mix is what really does it for me not Bottrill's interpretation which removed most of the context of how that album was made.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1924 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
Clockwork Angels

S&A
VT

CA is top 5 Rush imo.