Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490274 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1750 on: December 21, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1751 on: December 21, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
Playing it now...

♫♫ :metal ♫♫

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: February 01, 2016, 02:00:26 AM »
Edit: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:38:55 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1753 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
The Grace Under Pressure Tour is one of my favorite tours.

Just finished listening to the 5/12/84 Reno show (before they dropped Afterimage) Not sure if I can remember listening to a bad show from that tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1754 on: February 14, 2016, 01:46:14 PM »
Strangely, Moving Pictures is 35 years old and I don't really feel inclined to listen to it.

Chose Pain Of Salvation's Road Salt I instead.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1755 on: February 27, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
Rough beginning but it gets a little better as it goes on....

https://soundopinions.org/show/535

This one is much better because Alex is having fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0alyfQl4J-E

The Mike Levine, Dee Snider and the drummer from Klaatu were also pretty cool too actually.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1757 on: March 09, 2016, 05:42:37 AM »
Confirmed by Alex.

https://forgottenguitar.com/2016/03/08/alex-lifeson-confirms-that-rushs-touring-career-has-come-to-an-end/

Not surprised about this, at all. It would have been great to see them in europe one last time, but i think everyone saw this coming.

I think they should do another studio album though!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1758 on: March 09, 2016, 05:47:55 AM »
That is just confirming as of right now.  Alex and Geddy are hoping Neil will change his mind on a small tour down the road.  I'm hoping that will be the case at some point.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1759 on: March 09, 2016, 06:23:00 AM »
Yeah, like a 6-10 city mini-tour or something.  Or a couple of nights in 3-4 cities.... Toronto of course being one of them no matter what. :biggrin: 

I think Europe is screwed.  For once, NA ends up on the winning end of concerts
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1760 on: March 09, 2016, 07:34:08 AM »
If it is just a retirement from touring, I hope they still have at least one more album in them. Studio albums are a band's real legacy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1761 on: March 09, 2016, 08:02:38 AM »
They are obligated to do one more studio album so we've got that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1762 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, here, but as a person that played sports into college (hockey) and played competitive men's softball up to about two or three years ago, if he's having physical issues NOW, and if playing to 100% is his big concern NOW, "dusting it off now and again" is not going to be any easier, in fact it is going to be harder.   As painful as it might have been for him, and certainly up to a certain point (on a 18-month tour you just get flat tired out), the regular routine of playing a couple nights a week for a couple months likely made it hurt LESS than it could have been. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1763 on: March 09, 2016, 10:25:21 AM »
It would be really awesome for them to release one more album.

But if they do, it needs to be really awesome. They had Clockwork Angels in them, so I'm optimistic.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1764 on: March 09, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »
It would be nice to have one last album, even if they didn't tour it. Something to lis ten to at least..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:27:39 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1765 on: March 09, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »
Even if they don't make another album (I live in hope), Clockwork Angels is still one hell of a way to bow out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1766 on: March 09, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
I am still on the side of the fence that hopes Clockwork Angels was their last recording.  The Garden is such a perfect finisher to their career in the studio, just like the last tour was the perfect finished to their career as a touring band. 

Like I have said before, Geddy and Alex have great reputations in the industry and can likely work with just about anybody, so I'd love to see them work with some others and see what they come up with, together or apart.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1767 on: March 09, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
I would of course love new Rush music, but if Clockwork Angels is the last, well, it would be tough for a band as tenured as they are to possibly go out on a higher note.

I do look forward to Geddy or Alex doing things in the next few years, together or separate.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1768 on: March 12, 2016, 04:56:40 AM »
:iagree: with the above two posts.  I really don't know how they could top CA as their swan song, with The Garden as the final track.  It's just so perfect for the album, and their career.  Gives me chills everytime I hear it.  And dat solo!   :hefdaddy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1769 on: March 20, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, here, but as a person that played sports into college (hockey) and played competitive men's softball up to about two or three years ago, if he's having physical issues NOW, and if playing to 100% is his big concern NOW, "dusting it off now and again" is not going to be any easier, in fact it is going to be harder.   As painful as it might have been for him, and certainly up to a certain point (on a 18-month tour you just get flat tired out), the regular routine of playing a couple nights a week for a couple months likely made it hurt LESS than it could have been.

That's why I stopped playing hockey (Well that and the arthritis)

If you play Sunday and you're still feeling it on Thursday, Friday you give what you're doing some serious thought. Mondays REALLY sucked for a while near the end too.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: April 01, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
Happy 40th anniversary to 2112 :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1771 on: April 01, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
Happy 40th anniversary to 2112 :metal

:metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1772 on: April 01, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
A video comic-book version of 2112 will premiere on Rush.com at 6:00 am pst. Until Monday at 6am pst.

Here's Overture

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-rushs-2112-overture-come-alive-in-video-comic-book-20160401#ixzz44bMJ48GG

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1773 on: April 01, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
Can't believe it's been 40 years. Still rocks as good as any modern album!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1774 on: April 14, 2016, 05:57:54 AM »

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1775 on: April 15, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »
you beat me to it.  All in all, the episode was very well done and I would recommend it even to people who don't regularly watch The Goldbergs (I don't.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1776 on: April 15, 2016, 12:35:21 PM »
That's not even a top three TV Rush sighting.

1. the "Robin Sparkles - Behind The Music" episode of "How I Met Your Mother"
2. Archer, the running joke with Kreiger (Archer: "So you can play YYZ?"  Kreiger:  "First of all, it's 'Y-Y-Zed, and second of all, no.")
3. Their appearance on the Colbert Report ("Question:  you've been touring for years now; do you ever get tired of being so awesome and kicking so much ass?")

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1777 on: April 15, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »

Ahhhh, yes. And that was the day in music history that grunge in Canada was born.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1778 on: April 16, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »
That's not even a top three TV Rush sighting.

2. Archer, the running joke with Kreiger (Archer: "So you can play YYZ?"  Kreiger:  "First of all, it's 'Y-Y-Zed, and second of all, no.")
3. Their appearance on the Colbert Report ("Question:  you've been touring for years now; do you ever get tired of being so awesome and kicking so much ass?")

I've seen all of those.  First, you can't compare to when the band themselves are there on tv.  Second, it's way better than your #1 and #2.  (Those were both very funny for sure.)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1779 on: April 16, 2016, 10:47:50 PM »
have we so quickly forgotten the majesty of Chuck vs Tom Sawyer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHST5n068bc
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1780 on: July 02, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
Fun question:

On the six tours from 2002-2015, Rush played 86 of their 165 original songs from the studio albums (a handful or so in abbreviated form), but which five songs are you most surprised didn't make the cut on any of those tours? 

Note: I don't mean what songs do you wish they would have (which should eliminate anyone saying The Necromancer or something like that :lol), but songs you think would have gotten played by them at some point, but for whatever reason they didn't.

I will go with:

Vapor Trail - seemed like one of the most natural and obvious songs to play from Vapor Trails, yet it never got played. If you had told me before the last tour that they were gonna play a song from it that they never had before, I would have bet good money on this one, not How It Is.

The Enemy Within - The short shelf life of this in the 80s doesn't surprise me, since they weren't doing "evening with..." tours yet, and you only had so much time in the set list, but this seemed like a no-brainer to come back at some point this century.

Nobody's Hero - When I first heard this song, I thought, "This will be one of those songs that they play on nearly every tour till they retire."  Boy, was I wrong. After getting played at every show on the CP and TFE tours, it never saw the light of day again post-hiatus. I wonder if that first line being so lyrically jarring for a rock band was something they looked back with regret on.

Test for Echo - While I am happy it was never brought back - solid tune, but not one I ever needed or wanted to see again - I will admit to being shocked that it was a "one tour and done" song.  Nearly every Track 1 from the studio albums got played a ton over the years (except for a couple from the 70s and Show Don't Tell), but this is the only one that got the "one tour and done" treatment.

In the Mood - Has not been played since the Presto tour, which really surprises me.  Not that it's a noteworthy or great song or anything, but it's a simple, crowd-pleasing tune, that is easy to bust out in abbreviated form in a medley.  I think once Working Man became their go-to song from the first album on the tours this century, this one never stood a chance.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #1781 on: July 02, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »
I definitely agree on In The Mood. A couple months ago I was going through some of their live performances from the 80s and that was something I noticed: no matter how 80s the setlist was (like Hold Your Fire) they always closed with In The Mood. Even if it was just a short little abbreviated version, they would still play it. I'm assuming they just got tired of playing it for 20 years, and since it's not a hit like 2112 or Tom Sawyer they knew they could get away with not playing it. I'm not particularly worked up about them never playing it post reunion, but it does seem suprising that it never made even one appearance.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1782 on: July 02, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »
Didn't know In the Mood was that much of a staple.

They eventually played it on the R40 tour, but I'm surprised it took so long for them to play Jacob's Ladder. Is there any story behind that? It seems like it'd be easier on Geddy's voice and a huge crowd pleaser. An opportunity for them to go proggier without having to do the more vocally demanding stuff. Is there a list somewhere of the songs played live since 2002?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1783 on: July 02, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »
https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/setlists.php

Regarding Jacob's Ladder, they rehearsed it for the Time Machine Tour back in 2010, but was not played because, according to reports, the band wasn't "feeling it."

I never walked away from a concert thinking, "I wish they would've played In the Mood," but after being such a staple in the 70s and 80s, it was just a little surprising that it was ditched after the Presto tour, never to be seen or heard again.  Ironically, I have seen them on every tour post-Presto.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1784 on: July 02, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »
"In the Mood" wasn't exactly a hit, but it did get a lot of airplay in the Midwest.  I know I remember hearing it.  When All the World's a Stage came out, and they made a medley of "In the Mood" and "Fly By Night" it kinda made sense, as those were their two minor hits.