Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495786 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1680 on: November 27, 2015, 10:35:58 AM »
I did dribble a little. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1681 on: November 30, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »
I did dribble a little. :lol
A little? I might need to replace all of my pants.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1682 on: December 06, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »
I got to see Marillion play Misplaced Childhood live opening up for Rush on the Power Windows tour.  Hard to beat that.

You don't say....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1683 on: December 06, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
Tim I would say you also didn't connect to the newer music which affected how you enjoyed the show.

I don't know. I think Hold Your Fire blows, but that might've been the best Rush show I ever saw.

T4E tour was killer every show I saw.

That's been the case on every tour since Test For Echo except this one.
Things really didn't start to hum this time until late June and it really picked up near the end.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: December 06, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »
I got to see Marillion play Misplaced Childhood live opening up for Rush on the Power Windows tour.  Hard to beat that.

You don't say....

I do.

Every time I can. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1685 on: December 06, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »

You don't say....

I do.

Every time I can. :lol

I'll never forget March 31 and April 1, 1986 myself.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1686 on: December 06, 2015, 03:14:56 PM »
You can both go suck my starman. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »
I think you gave it backwards Nick. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1688 on: December 06, 2015, 09:05:34 PM »
Starman my suck?  ???
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: December 07, 2015, 05:48:22 AM »
Starman my suck?  ???

No, he can suck...........

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: December 07, 2015, 06:21:46 AM »
Neil talks retirement in a new Drumhead Magazine interview.

https://news.cygnus-x1.net/2015/12/neil-peart-talks-retirement-in-new.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1691 on: December 07, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
Ultimate guitar are reporting that NP has retired. They aren't exactly a great reliable source but it seems to be coming.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rush_drummer_neil_peart_i_am_retiring_from_music.html

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1692 on: December 07, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
Yeah, I sent a text to Get about this on Saturday. His response was, "That's what he's telling everyone now apparently, so I guess we won't be writing new after the first of the year. I haven't spoken to him in a couple of weeks, so who knows? As you know, he's been saying he's retiring from touring, so that's not new."
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1693 on: December 07, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
If this is the end, then Clockwork Angels is one hell of a way to bow out. They have a firm place in the pantheon of rock music.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: December 07, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
He's earned it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1695 on: December 07, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
If Neil wants to retire, let the man retire. He's definitely earned it after 40+ years with one of the hardest working rocks bands in the business. His history, skill, discography and body of work all speak for itself, and if Rush's career ends with Clockwork Angels, then it's definitely an amazing way to end the band's career.

Neil deserves a nice quiet retirement from here on out, so if there's no more new Rush, then I'm okay with it. I'd rather them go out on top as they have done with CA, the CA Tour, and the R40 Tour, rather than release mediocre mid-tempo "prog-lite" soft rock and play live shows with incredibly lowered tempos.

Good for Neil and I wish him all the best in his retirement!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1696 on: December 07, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »
...Can we get a second Geddy Lee solo album then? I saw in a recent AV Club interview that he was open to doing another one sometime.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1697 on: December 07, 2015, 02:39:19 PM »
, rather than release mediocre mid-tempo "prog-lite" soft rock

Haven't they been doing that since 1988? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1698 on: December 07, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »

Comparatively, not really. :p Songs like Animate, Driven, One Little Victory, and Headlong Flight are definitely not slow and lite.

Go spin Yes' last album and then listen to Clockwork Angels and tell me which one you'd rather have to end a band's career. :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1699 on: December 07, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
The Garden would be an amazing swan song to their career as a band. I have no qualms about them calling it quits at this point.

Someone didn't listen to the last Yes album. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1700 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
Clockwork Angels is outstanding no doubt. Why the hell did it take so long? It's like they already knew it was coming to an end. The band just feels focused on this effort as opposed to throwing shit together as they had been doing since Roll The Bones. (I do like Counterparts!). But to me, everything they had done since is just below their writing and playing skills. Until CA that is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1701 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »

Comparatively, not really. :p Songs like Animate, Driven, One Little Victory, and Headlong Flight are definitely not slow and lite.

Go spin Yes' last album and then listen to Clockwork Angels and tell me which one you'd rather have to end a band's career. :tup

-Marc.

I couldn't agree more.  CA, while not the best Rush album, is a great end to their studio career, should this be it.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1702 on: December 07, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
The Garden would be an amazing swan song to their career as a band. I have no qualms about them calling it quits at this point.

Oh wow...yeah that makes the song chilling

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1703 on: December 07, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »
Well.. the plan was to start on new material after the first of the year. He and Alex are anxious to start writing new stuff then. They are not averse to recording without touring if that lets them stay creating.  If NP decides no way, then my guess is they don't move ahead without him, but Ged is ready to create after the holidays, whatever that looks like. But they want to make music together. 
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1704 on: December 07, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
Clockwork Angels is outstanding no doubt. Why the hell did it take so long? It's like they already knew it was coming to an end. The band just feels focused on this effort as opposed to throwing shit together as they had been doing since Roll The Bones. (I do like Counterparts!). But to me, everything they had done since is just below their writing and playing skills. Until CA that is.

Granted, I'll be the first to say that HYF, RTB, and TFE were all "par for the course" when it came to Rush, with a few gems here and there on those three albums, but Presto, CP, and the last three are all pretty good to great albums for me (less so for Presto). I thoroughly enjoy S&A, and I have a soft spot for VT, while CA is amazing in its own right. So for me, the band has done fairly well in the latter half of its career.

Were they pumping out music as good as 2112-POW? No, but you can't expect them all to be winners. Every rock band from the 70's that continued to produce material through the 80's and 90's could never match that youthfulness that their older music was birthed from. Their writing and playing from back then was certainly different, and I will say that Rush definitely matured in many ways when it came to thsoe aspects of their music. Was it all good? No. Was it all likable? Possibly, depending on who you are. But given what they DID release, they're no slouches when it came to writing really good music, because when it was good, it tended to be great, especially for a band that was together for so long! I am especially thankful they even continued for as long as they did because the band could have ended over fifteen years ago, but they didn't and with VT, they came back and added a lot to their already great career.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: December 07, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »

You sound like the 2112 fans who hated PW & MP.   :biggrin:

Any band that last 4 decades will have this issue by fans. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1706 on: December 07, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Rush AND Neil, it's my second favourite band, but at this point, I wish that Ged and Alex to carry on, forming a new band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1707 on: December 07, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
Sad day.  We all knew it was coming, and it was definitely time, but still a sad day.  It is officially over.

:tup :tup to rock's greatest drummer, one of rock's best lyricists, and to the best band ever. :coolio :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: December 07, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
Well.. the plan was to start on new material after the first of the year. He and Alex are anxious to start writing new stuff then. They are not averse to recording without touring if that lets them stay creating.  If NP decides no way, then my guess is they don't move ahead without him, but Ged is ready to create after the holidays, whatever that looks like. But they want to make music together.

Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee. Mike Portnoy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1709 on: December 07, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »
Sad day.  We all knew it was coming, and it was definitely time, but still a sad day.  It is officially over.

:tup :tup to rock's greatest drummer, one of rock's best lyricists, and to the best band ever. :coolio :hat

Definitely!

Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee. Mike Portnoy.

Was the first thing I thought of.

Offline TL

« Reply #1710 on: December 07, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »
It's definitely sad if we're really at the end, but at least Clockwork Angels is a heck of a finale.

I'd love for them to keep going into the studio every now and then, but I certainly respect Neil's decision if he really is calling it quits entirely. The man has more than earned it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: December 07, 2015, 06:00:55 PM »
I Don't See Alex and Geddy playing together without Neil.  They may guest on each other's music but not form a band.  Imo.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1712 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
I Don't See Alex and Geddy playing together without Neil.  They may guest on each other's music but not form a band.  Imo.
Maybe this is true, because they intend to preserve Rush 's legacy,  but it's also a shame,  because they have still much to offer together (and it seems that they have this desire too).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1713 on: December 07, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
I still say he enters the studio for one last album.     Possibly followed by a one week residency at MSG.   No tour obviously, and probably not a show either, but I'm certain there will be one last album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1714 on: December 07, 2015, 07:22:47 PM »
If this is indeed 100% true, part of me just died.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?