Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496020 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1540 on: May 20, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
Although I bought the DVD when it came out (haven't watched it in ages!), I just ordered the Rush In Rio CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1541 on: May 20, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »
Although I bought the DVD when it came out (haven't watched it in ages!), I just ordered the Rush In Rio CD.

The CD set is nice as it has 2 bonus tracks that were A/B swaps on the tour, although, it unfortunately misses the chance to include "Ceiling Unlimited", although some good audience bootlegs have surfaced with fairly good recordings of the song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1542 on: May 20, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »

The CD set is nice as it has 2 bonus tracks that were A/B swaps on the tour, although, it unfortunately misses the chance to include "Ceiling Unlimited", although some good audience bootlegs have surfaced with fairly good recordings of the song.

-Marc.
That's fine because Ceiling Unlimited might be my least favorite song on VT. But this was a good chance to get nice live recordings of the VT material. Unfortunately it has The Pass/Bravado, but hey, that's why the skip button was created!

I've been listening to the St. Paul boot almost daily and it has put me in a Rush mood.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1543 on: May 20, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »

-Marc.
That's fine because Ceiling Unlimited might be my least favorite song on VT. But this was a good chance to get nice live recordings of the VT material. Unfortunately it has The Pass/Bravado, but hey, that's why the skip button was created!

I've been listening to the St. Paul boot almost daily and it has put me in a Rush mood.

Funny you said that because "The Pass"/"Bravado" is one of my all-time favorite 1-2 punches on any live Rush album. The two songs just flow together so well and placing them the way they did was pretty amazing to me. Different strokes, I guess...or Different Stages, to be more apt.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1544 on: May 20, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »
Although I'm generally a heavier rock fan, I really do love Presto. Love what they did there, but I've never cared for The Pass. It is OK once it gets going, that's fine. But Bravado, to me, has to be one of the worse things they've ever done.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1545 on: May 20, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Alright. I'll try this.

Track 1
1. Subdivisions
2. The Big Money                         
3. Distant Early Warning

Track 2
1. Grand Designs
2. The Analog Kid
3. Afterimage

Track 3
1. Manhattan Project
2. Chemistry
3. Red Sector 'A'

Track 4
1. Marathon
2. Digital Man
3. The Enemy Within

Track 5
1. Territories
2. The Weapon
3. The Body Electric

Track 6
1. Middletown Dreams
2. New World Man
3. Kid Gloves

Track 7
1. Losing It
2. Emotion Detector
3. Red Lenses

Track 8
1. Between the Wheels
2. Mystic Rhythms
3. Countdown

Totals:
Power Windows - 11
Signals - 15
Grace Under Pressure - 22
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1546 on: May 20, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »
Grand Designs is one song that I just don't get at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: May 20, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
I just gravitated to it as a kid.  It did sound a lot better on this past tour then in 1985.  it was out of lace as an encore song.  Glad they got that straight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1548 on: May 20, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »
Track 1
1. The Big Money
2. Subdivisions
3. Distant Early Warning

Track 2
1. Grand Designs
2. The Analog Kid
3. Afterimage

Track 3
1. Red Sector A
2. Manhattan Project
3. Chemistry

Track 4
1. Marathon
2. The Enemy Within
3. Digital Man

Track 5
1. Territories
2. The Body Electric
3. The Weapon

Track 6
1. Middletown Dreams
2. Kid Gloves
3. New World Man

Track 7
1. Losing It
2. Emotion Detector
3. Red Lenses

Track 8
1. Mystic Rhythms
2. Between The Wheels
3. Countdown

Power Windows: 10
Grace Under Pressure: 18
Signals: 20

Not surprised, since Power Windows is my favorite Rush album

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1549 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
So far, out of the 7 people who have done the SIG/GUP/POW matches, only 2 didn't have POW end up as their top album based on ranking points. Nice to see that, even in this kind of match-up, POW comes out to be a fan favorite around here. I mean, it's obviously a favorite of mine... *points to username*

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1550 on: May 20, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
Kev, thanks for posting that interview. Great read!

Yeah, great read indeed. Thanks!

No problem, fellas.  I thought it was a great read, and honestly, I was surprised they were that candid about what drugs they have done.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1551 on: May 21, 2015, 01:53:34 AM »
T4E vs CP winners = Animate, Driven, Half the World, Colour of Right, Time and Motion, Alien Shore, CP songs to end.
4 from T4E, 7 from CP.
Sig vs P/G vs POW winners = Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Red Sector A, Marathon, Weapon, Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector, Between the Wheels. 3/2/3 split.

Anyway, I'm taking what Geddy said in that CR interview with a pinch of salt. We all know he's keen to tour.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1552 on: May 21, 2015, 03:45:42 AM »
Wow, that's one long interview.  :lol

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1553 on: May 23, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Does anyone know how many copies of Permanet Waves have been sold? According to my information more than a million.Is this true? I think more :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1554 on: May 24, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »
Signals v. Grace Under Pressure v. Power Windows

TRACK ONE:
1. Subdivisions
2. The Big Money
3. Distant Early Warning

TRACK TWO:
1. Grand Designs
2. The Analog Kid
3. Afterimage

TRACK THREE:
1. Red Sector A
2. The Manhattan Project
3. Chemistry

TRACK FOUR:
1. Marathon
2. Digital Man
3. The Enemy Within

TRACK FIVE:
1. Territories
2. The Body Electric
3. The Weapon

TRACK SIX:
1. Kid Gloves
2. Middletown Dreams
3. New World Man

TRACK SEVEN
1. Emotion Detector
2. Losing It
3. Red Lenses

TRACK EIGHT
1. Between the Wheels
2. Mystic Rhythms
3. Countdown

Signals: 19
GUP: 17
Power Windows: 12
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1555 on: May 24, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »
Track 1
1. Subdivisions
2. Distant Early Warning
3. The Big Money

Track 2
1. Grand Designs
2. The Analog Kid
3. Afterimage

Track 3
1. Manhattan Project
2. Chemistry
3. Red Sector 'A'

Track 4
1. The Enemy Within
2. Marathon
3. Digital Man

Track 5
1. The Weapon
2. Territories
3. The Body Electric

Track 6
1. Middletown Dreams
2. New World Man
3. Kid Gloves

Track 7
1. Emotion Detector
2. Losing It
3. Red Lenses

Track 8
1. Mystic Rhythms
2. Between the Wheels
3. Countdown

Totals:
Power Windows - 12
Signals - 16
Grace Under Pressure - 20

While I certainly prefer Power Windows to the other two, the latter two are closer together than the result might suggest.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1556 on: May 24, 2015, 11:47:11 PM »
Nice to see some Emotion Detector love  :tup

Used to be my favorite song of all time
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1557 on: May 25, 2015, 12:17:03 AM »
Is it time for the three 6-track albums yet? I'll get us started...

Track One
1. 2112
2. The Spirit Of Radio
3. A Farewell To Kings

Track Two
1. Xanadu
2. Freewill
3. A Passage To Bangkok

Track Three
1. Jacob's Ladder
2. Closer To The Heart
3. The Twilight Zone

Track Four
1. Entre Nous
2. Cinderella Man
3. Lessons

Track Five
1. Different Strings
2. Tears
3. Madrigal

Track Six
1. Cygnus X-1, Book 1: The Voyage
2. Natural Science
3. Something For Nothing

2112 - 15
AFTK - 12
PEW - 9

As I would have expected, Permanent Waves is one of my favorite albums of all time!

-Marc.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1558 on: May 25, 2015, 05:43:33 AM »
Track One
1. 2112
2. The Spirit Of Radio
3. A Farewell To Kings

Track Two
1. Xanadu
2. Freewill
3. A Passage To Bangkok

Track Three
1. Jacob's Ladder
2. Closer To The Heart
3. The Twilight Zone

Track Four
1. Cinderella Man
2. Entre Nous
3. Lessons

Track Five
1. Different Strings
2. Tears
3. Madrigal

Track Six
1. Natural Science
2. Cygnus X-1, Book 1: The Voyage
3. Something For Nothing

2112 - 15
AFTK - 12
PEW - 9

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1560 on: May 25, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
2112 vs. PeW vs AFTK is hard for me to do because "2112" is the best and takes up half the record, but only counts as 1/6 of the score here.   My result would be nearly identical to both listed so far (by Marc and Charles), but 2112 is still my favorite Rush album by the slimmest of margins over PeW and MP.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: May 26, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
Now that I've fallen into Spotify's hands I was able to listen to the remastered version of Vapor Trails and I was very much disappointed. The sound is "better" in terms of quality but the songs are completely different to what they used to be because of that and I've learned to love them the way they sound in the original mix.
Has anyone else experienced the same?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1562 on: May 26, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
Now that I've fallen into Spotify's hands I was able to listen to the remastered version of Vapor Trails and I was very much disappointed. The sound is "better" in terms of quality but the songs are completely different to what they used to be because of that and I've learned to love them the way they sound in the original mix.

I'm sorry, but that original sound is one that not even a mother could love. Rarely does something sound so bad that years later the band comes back and says, "yeah, we were in a tough place, wanted to get it out, and mistakes were made", or things to that effect.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1563 on: May 26, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »
I think I've posted this before, but it's worth it to do again.

Here is a medley I made for my radio show a few years ago. I would wager if I asked a non-fan to point out which sample doesn't sound as if it belongs, sonically, they'd have no issue making a choice.

https://wpapu.com/sounds/Rushgasm.mp3

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: May 26, 2015, 02:11:17 PM »

I personally like the 2 remixes of OLV & Earthshine on the Retrospectime III album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1565 on: May 26, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »
I like the officially released physical Remixes, which both came in the Atlantic Years Box Set and individually later on. This is, of course, not to be confused with the HDTracks remaster, which, IIRC, was slightly different in terms of mix and master. Then of course, there were the two tracks made for Retrospective 3.

Of all of these, I really do enjoy the Remixes, they breathe new life into the tracks and while some of the OOMPH and power is lost, the clarity makes up for it. It's easier to listen to now and it makes a good album better, IMO. The sound falls in line better with S&A and CA in terms of the latter-day Rush albums, which is good because otherwise, going chronologically from TFE to VT to S&A, you get this weird sonic-hurricane in the middle with VT and it becomes a chore to listen to.

Since the Remixes came out a couple years ago, I've not listened to the original version at all, which is no big loss. I had that original for over a decade and it lasted pretty well through those 10+ years, but the new version is just better to me.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: May 26, 2015, 04:39:38 PM »
I think I've posted this before, but it's worth it to do again.

Here is a medley I made for my radio show a few years ago. I would wager if I asked a non-fan to point out which sample doesn't sound as if it belongs, sonically, they'd have no issue making a choice.

https://wpapu.com/sounds/Rushgasm.mp3

I listened to this and yes I get that the production is nowhere near their other albums but as Marc says, the new sound makes it lose it's power which is what I like the most about the album
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1567 on: May 26, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »

I'm with you.  I can't even listen to that 2013 remaster because of how defanged the songs became.  Plus, they did all kinds of weird effects with Geddy's vocals, and Neil's drums sounds like total and complete dog crap.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1568 on: May 27, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
I only have the remixed version of VT, but I dislike brickwalling so much that I seriously doubt I'd prefer the original version to the new one.

Is it time for the three 6-track albums yet? I'll get us started...

*snip*

2112 - 15
AFTK - 12
PEW - 9

As I would have expected, Permanent Waves is one of my favorite albums of all time!

-Marc.
My picks would probably be the same for the most part, except that 2112 would come in second, because I prefer Bangkok, The Twilight Zone and S4N to their counterparts (no pun intended) on AFTK.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1569 on: June 03, 2015, 12:29:23 AM »
Well, while we're waiting, I've stumbled upon this video.  This is a music video from Future User which is Rage Against the Machine bassist Tim Commerford's electro project.  What am I posting it in the Rush thread?  Well, the topic this video tackles on the issue regarding Health Care and comparing America's policy with Canada's policy on the matter.  At the beginning of the video, you will see RATM bandmate, Tom Morello playing the role of the US doctor and somewhere in the middle of the video, you will see Geddy and Alex play the roles of the Canadian Doctors.  Man, I love Geddy and Alex a lot, but I wouldn't let them cut me even if it's affordable.  Anywho, here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-iRyZyia1w

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1570 on: June 05, 2015, 03:06:33 AM »
Alex Lifeson Aims for Rush Shows After 'Final' Tour

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/alex_lifeson_aims_for_rush_shows_after_final_tour.html

"I could still see us going out and doing a special run - a couple of weeks here and there, those sort of things. We haven't discussed that, but I could see that happening. And possibly making another album or two. We love playing together and we really enjoy that aspect of our relationship."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1571 on: June 05, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
Thats always good to hear!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1572 on: June 05, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »
Does anyone know how many copies of Permanet Waves have been sold? According to my information more than a million.Is this true? I think more :)

I think the certification is 1 million, but it's obviously much more than that with the reissues of the last several years.

I have a few copies myself.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1573 on: June 05, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »

Used to listen to them back to back for about a year, but it became obvious to me that I still prefer the passion and fire of the original in spite of the sonic disaster. Although the remix "sounds better" in some cases it sounds like the balls of the album got clipped.