Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496241 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1260 on: March 21, 2014, 03:32:20 AM »
Jacob's ladder would be amazing. Especially because it's one of those rare ''early'' songs that Geddy can pull off vocally without a hitch.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1261 on: March 21, 2014, 07:55:01 AM »
I guess we have a year of speculation to look forward to, of fans saying, "Maybe they will play this song," about a song Geddy Lee has no chance of singing well live anymore, only for the set list to surface and not see any of those songs anywhere near it. :lol :lol

Yup. Though I can certainly see, and we will hopefully see them continue to dig deep on the 80's and 90's records.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1262 on: March 21, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »
Well I'll through flames on the fire.  What I'd like to see.

Vapor Trail
Totem
The Big Wheel
Kid Gloves
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1263 on: March 21, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »

I seem to remember some website that actually keeps track of how long it's been since they've played every song in their catalog?  Where's that when you need it?

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/setlists.php

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1264 on: March 21, 2014, 09:01:34 AM »
Well I'll through flames on the fire.  What I'd like to see.

Vapor Trail
Totem
The Big Wheel
Kid Gloves

Iīd love to hear all of these! And Iīll also add:
Nocturne
Freeze
We Hold On
Jacobīs Ladder
Cut to the Chase
Double Agent

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1265 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:12 AM »

I seem to remember some website that actually keeps track of how long it's been since they've played every song in their catalog?  Where's that when you need it?

Well yes, but just before...I think it was the Time Machine Tour?....someone had a list of every single song *with exactly the last time it was played* right next to it.   

While everyone is suggesting Freeze, I would go ahead and just say outright that I would like to hear the whole "Fear Suite" done in its entirety...which hasn't been done in 30 years...and never with Freeze. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1266 on: March 21, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »

Agreed! And it will be the first time in the history of rock and roll that a "trilogy of four songs" is played. How Canadian of thm to pull that off, eh?

Well yes, but just before...I think it was the Time Machine Tour?....someone had a list of every single song *with exactly the last time it was played* right next to it.   

While everyone is suggesting Freeze, I would go ahead and just say outright that I would like to hear the whole "Fear Suite" done in its entirety...which hasn't been done in 30 years...and never with Freeze.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1267 on: March 21, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »

Well now with the suggestion of hearing the whole "Fear Suite" makes me want to go back and listen to all the songs from there.  I'm only really familiar with Witch Hunt and Freeze.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1268 on: March 21, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »

Well now with the suggestion of hearing the whole "Fear Suite" makes me want to go back and listen to all the songs from there.  I'm only really familiar with Witch Hunt and Freeze.

Truth be told...I'm not that big on The Enemy Within.   But The Weapon is absolutely my favorite of the entire suite and it's not even close.    And I think it's been awhile since they played that one as well.   (can't remember if I've ever seen that played or not...sometimes the old shows get blurry in your memory)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1269 on: March 21, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
GUP and PW's tour they played "THe Weapon"  OOOOOHHHH  SCAAAARY!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1270 on: March 21, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
Pretty much as expected. Possible tour in 2015 and album in 2016.

I was hoping for R42 myself. Would have made so much more sense for an R42 tour. My wallet would have liked that a lot better too.

I just hope they're not selling tickets a year or more out. I don't want them holding my money for that long.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: March 21, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »
I'm cool with them doing anything they want at this point.  They can take as long of a break as they want.  Any new material at this point is just a cherry on top.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1272 on: March 23, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
absolutely agree.  who else is making great new albums (that truly rock) at 60?  not anyone I'm aware of.  they're going to be legends if they can pull of another one like Clockwork Angels.  I mean, they're already legends, but they'll be legen--wait for it--dary for putting out great albums at the stage when every other band is just on the greatest hits milking machine, putting out mellow tunes that are a shadow of their glory, or has hung it up for good already.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1273 on: March 24, 2014, 06:36:24 AM »
The Weapon and The Enemy Within are two of my favorite songs from that era, and so I'd really love them to play Fear. If they include Freeze that would be cool, but there are several other lesser played tracks from that album I'd love a lot more, especially Nocturne and Vapor Trails.

IF they tour in 2014 my primary goal is to make it to opening night again, wherever that may be. Being there on the last tour was a mind-blowing experience. I can't imagine I'll see such a mind-numbing unlikely setlist again, but I can hope.

Finally, I hope for a particular show... last tour they played the Allentown Fair, which holds 10k people max. September 12th will see the Eagles as the first concert playing the PP&L center here in Allentown. Max capacity for a concert for that is also 10k. Be amazing if I could walk to see Rush for a second time.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1274 on: March 24, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
I have long suspected that Freeze is one of those songs that Alex referred to in Contents Under Pressure when he said that quite a few of the VT songs are not playable live, likely cause they were so recorded with so many layers and overdubs, that playing them live would strip them down too much, and the songs would suffer if that happen. 

In the case of Freeze, some of that guitar-playing in the verses (like that comes in around 5 seconds into the song), which almost sounds like quirky little guitar scrapings (for lack of a better term), probably wouldn't translate well live, and the song would sound messy and noisy as a result.  The power chords would obviously be no problem, but I just fear that other guitar stuff wouldn't translate well live.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1275 on: March 24, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
I have long suspected that Freeze is one of those songs that Alex referred to in Contents Under Pressure when he said that quite a few of the VT songs are not playable live, likely cause they were so recorded with so many layers and overdubs, that playing them live would strip them down too much, and the songs would suffer if that happen. 

In the case of Freeze, some of that guitar-playing in the verses (like that comes in around 5 seconds into the song), which almost sounds like quirky little guitar scrapings (for lack of a better term), probably wouldn't translate well live, and the song would sound messy and noisy as a result.  The power chords would obviously be no problem, but I just fear that other guitar stuff wouldn't translate well live.

That would be a shame.   Easily my favorite VT song....with Ghost Rider a close second.    (which is another track I wouldn't mind seeing come back...)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1276 on: March 24, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
Ghost Rider is probably next on my list, behind the two I already mentioned.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1277 on: March 24, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
I like Ghost Rider quite a bit, but I definitely like Freeze, Nocturne, Vapor Trail and Earthshine way more.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1278 on: March 24, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »
I'll be pretty happy as long as Secret Touch doesn't come back before any of those other mentioned. What a stinker live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1279 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »
I mostly agree.  Talk about a noisy song that becomes even noisier live.  Plus, hearing, "The way out is the way in," 174 times in the song doesn't help. :lol :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1280 on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
I agree on all counts about Secret Touch - I was never a fan of this song. Itīs such a long way from the early 80īs where Rush songs had a lot of breathing space. Think about most songs on Moving Pictures where they seemed to go on a "less is more" approach, much like their much admired The Police did back then. 

Also about Secret Touch, it doesnīt help that the main riff of the song is a ripoff from Zeppelinīs The Song Remains the Same.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1281 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
I don't care what you say, Secret Touch is still my favorite on VT.  Some of the songs don't translate as well to the live setting, but it kicks ass on the album (so does The Song Remains The Same, for that matter.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1282 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »
I'll be pretty happy as long as Secret Touch doesn't come back before any of those other mentioned. What a stinker live.

Wrong answer!
Listen to Geddy's bass playing and the jam at the end of the song. The R30 version may even be better than the Vapor Trails one.

But to the larger point. I don't think we hear much of anything from Vapor Trails (as much as I'd love to) because it understandably has too many bad memories for Neil.

I'm sure most of you have seen this already, but here's a preview of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw-kOUazxUw

What's funny is that either they couldn't get a decent copy of the Moon pressing to reproduce (or they've pre-scratched the record for the sake of authenticity!)

Okay...well I think it's funny.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1283 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
So, uh, remember the people who thought Rush took themselves too seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfFz3ov7Kn0

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1284 on: April 06, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
This prize is up for auction to the highest bidder....all proceeds go to charity. 

Obviously, there is *no way* that I could afford even half the amount that I'm sure this will end up going for....but it makes me cry just thinking about it.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2014/04/06/3987/Grapes-Under-Pressure-Wine-Event-with-Geddy-Lee-and-Alex-Lifeson-charity-auction

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1285 on: April 06, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
This prize is up for auction to the highest bidder....all proceeds go to charity. 

Obviously, there is *no way* that I could afford even half the amount that I'm sure this will end up going for....but it makes me cry just thinking about it.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2014/04/06/3987/Grapes-Under-Pressure-Wine-Event-with-Geddy-Lee-and-Alex-Lifeson-charity-auction

Damn dudes at that current bid.   Do I really believe that it is the actual value that people are willingly going to give?  It's insanely way more than that estimated value.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1286 on: April 07, 2014, 04:58:57 AM »

Damn dudes at that current bid.   Do I really believe that it is the actual value that people are willingly going to give?  It's insanely way more than that estimated value.

If I had $20,000 to give to charity to travel with Geddy and Alex on a private plane and get to hang out with them for two days just geeking out on wine?  I would consider it a bargin. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: April 07, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »
If I win the lottery in the next two weeks I am totally winning this

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1288 on: April 16, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »

If I had $20,000 to give to charity to travel with Geddy and Alex on a private plane and get to hang out with them for two days just geeking out on wine?  I would consider it a bargin.

That would be cool and all, but I think I'd rather take that money and save it for the shows.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1289 on: April 17, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »
The songs I'd most like to hear make a comeback (or debut) in the setlist are:

Chain Lightning
Prime Mover
The Big Wheel
Cold Fire
Peaceable Kingdom
We Hold On
Xanadu

Plus Bravado again, which I love. Also love Secret Touch. btw.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1290 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »
Here's a question I've probably heard the answer to before and just forgot....

Somewhere out there, there is a complete pro-shot Moving Pictures show on video. (ie...lost footage from the ESL home video) Does anyone have any idea what ever became of it? Who was the company that produced it?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1291 on: April 23, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
Here's a question I've probably heard the answer to before and just forgot....

Somewhere out there, there is a complete pro-shot Moving Pictures show on video. (ie...lost footage from the ESL home video) Does anyone have any idea what ever became of it? Who was the company that produced it?

First time I've ever heard this.  Back then the format could only hold about an hour.  What didn't make it ended up on the cutting room floor where it was left to deteriorate. No thought was given to bonus footage or anything like that.  I'd like to believe that as much as anyone, but those considerations weren't given any thought back then.

What's interesting is that there is a clip of pro-shot footage from the All The World's A Stage/a Farewell To Kings era that shows up briefly in Beyond The Lighted Stage that nobody seems to have identified yet.

There is some 8 mm audience footage out there. About 15 mintues or so from California I think.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1292 on: April 30, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
Anyone else get the Rush reissue?

Haven't listened to it yet, but I looked at all the goodies. My favorites are the reproduction of the master tape cover that shows catalog numbers and dates and the family tree.  I knew most of it, but there were some gaps that it filled in for me.

Still can't escape the feeling that this could have been so much more though. But I also get the band not really wanting to get too involved with it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1293 on: April 30, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »
Family Tree is indeed cool, probably my favorite odd and end bit of the set.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1294 on: May 06, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »
It's a little strange that I have to store this and the the Clockwork Angels Tour Live box (which are essentially bookends) away from the rest of the CDs  as they won't fit.

Although I suppose that this box should be filed with the vinyl since there aren't any CDs in it unless I use the download code.