Author Topic: College  (Read 29190 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: College
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
FRE 2 - Elementary French
MUS 10 - Intro Music Lit
PHI 21 - Phil: Ancient
PHI 101 - Metaphysics
PHI 128 - Rationality

Winter quarter, I've got:

CMSC 23710 - Scientific Visualization
PHYS 12200 - Electricity and Magnetism
BIOS 15106 - Plagues (core bio class about disease)
SOSC 12200 - Self, Culture, and Society II (core reading/writing class)

Not too pumped about this quarter, since I have to chip away at the remainder of my core requirements. Spring quarter will kick ass though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Seriously...why does your school have 5 numbers for a class?  3 seems appropriate, and the 4 they used at VT I got used to...but 5?  You wouldn't need that many classes if you broke the school year into individual days and each day was its own separate class.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
Well, many classes only use the first 3 numbers of the 5 numbers allotted, and for those classes it's normal to say "I'm in PHYS 122" rather than "I'm in PHYS 12200".

But I didn't make the rules.  Write an angry letter to the university if you want.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
My grades finally posted! Straight A's! Rocking a 4.0 GPA!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
My grades finally posted! Straight A's! Rocking a 4.0 GPA!

:metal :metal

I'm looking at a 3.5 GPA for this quarter.  It's alright -- brought me down a little bit -- but considering the classes I was taking I did much better than I expected.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »
Moving back in to the dorms today. Pretty good way to end the winter break.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
That sounds like a spiffy class. I wonder if it will touch on instrumentalism vs realism. That's one of the most fantastic topics I've studied.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
I just handed in FIFTEEN THOUSAND WORDS for my first semester as a social worker in training... I'm so hyper I can't relax. I've not properly rested or relaxed for several weeks so this week of chilling out is going to be interesting. Booked to go abseiling down a mountain on Saturday, and have fuck loads planned with friends every day until then. I'm kicking this Masters' arse. Don't know how well the essays will do but... I think I'll pass!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline John94

« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
After months of being unhappy and stressed I think I am going to transfer courses. Im on a computing course, well what I thought would be a multimedia course(graphics, audio, video etc) and it's getting too technical for me, not enough to stimulate my creativity. I just sat in front of a pc screen, looking at the Java code like its a foreign language. I'm doing OK in the other stuff but if I dont like doing it, then I dont think I should carry on with it. Oh how I wish I could turn back the clock.

Trying to talk to my personal tutor tomorrow to help arrange a transfer to a Creative Literature course. I've always enjoyed writing and once wanted to be a sports journalist so. It would allow me to express myself more I guess, they have some really good sounding stuff such as screenplays and even song writing which I would love to get properly into.

At least I am only a few months in and realising this and not a few years.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
95% on my French test. Yeah, that's what's up.

Just cranked out a BEAST of a paper on the very first philosophers in history - Thales and Anaximander. I had to show that they took proto-scientific approaches to their philosophies (which is totally bogus, they didn't do that at all). Anyway, I'm quite proud of myself.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
That sounds like a spiffy class. I wonder if it will touch on instrumentalism vs realism. That's one of the most fantastic topics I've studied.

We are studying it, but from a practical rather than philosophical standpoint.  We're basically taking it as a given that our visualizations can't accurately model the continuous world.

95% on my French test. Yeah, that's what's up.

Way to go!  On a similar note, I just submitted my application to study abroad in the fall. Fingers crossed.

After months of being unhappy and stressed I think I am going to transfer courses. Im on a computing course, well what I thought would be a multimedia course(graphics, audio, video etc) and it's getting too technical for me, not enough to stimulate my creativity. I just sat in front of a pc screen, looking at the Java code like its a foreign language. I'm doing OK in the other stuff but if I dont like doing it, then I dont think I should carry on with it. Oh how I wish I could turn back the clock.

Ah, what a bummer. I know coding's not for everybody.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »
On a similar note, I just submitted my application to study abroad in the fall. Fingers crossed.

Oh cool, where at?

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »
Paris!

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
Welp, I just bombed my 1st Accounting Midterm  :tdwn
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
Paris!
Parlez-vous français?

I do. We have four tests in French this quarter and I got an A on the first two so far. Very happy with myself.

Also just took a midterm for Metaphysics (upper division philosophy class). Did awesome. Pretty sure I only missed one question out of 33.

And started work at the cafeteria. My down time which was spent on DTF will now be better spent rackin in the dough (sorry fellas).

Welp, I just bombed my 1st Accounting Midterm  :tdwn
Sorry to hear that, mate. Just pick yourself up by your britches and keep going. *hugs*

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »
Paris!

Which school are you looking into? I actually just got back to the States from studying in Paris for 1 1/2 years.  :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »
"A" on my lengthy paper on Thales and Anaximander, and "A/A-" on my metaphysics midterm. Happy. :)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
Somehow I am getting a B in my MUS 10 class, even though I thought I failed the midterm and I turned in my only assignment about 4 weeks late.

hooray for procrastination!

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2013, 12:04:24 AM »
So I got my semester one results back and didn't do anywhere near as well as I thought I was going to :( ended up with a 60, which is just scraping a 2.1... got a great result for theories, models and & methods module, a decent one for law considering I hate law, never done it before and it's at MA level, but for mental health only got a 66 when I was expecting at least 56. Really need the feedback to see what went wrong there.

Beat myself up about it all results day. Maybe I'm a perfectionist but in something I'm passionate about, I really wanted to do well and I've always (in my music undergrad) had a good idea of how I was going, I could hand something in and know whether I was gonna end up with a 2.2 or a first, but I've seriously missed the mark there and don't know how. Trying to be nice to myself cos I'm comparing myself to friends who've had a really steady and settled first semester and been able to focus on studying whereas I got my heart broken 2 days before we start, had to move house, worked two jobs and volunteered and generally underwent the biggest life transition I think I've ever had. But meh. I need to do better this semester.

Worst part is I'm going to Sweden in a few weeks to present a bloody paper on the topic I got a shit mark for at an international conference :| :| :|
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2013, 12:54:47 AM »
:/ I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have to present as is, or do you have the opportunity to refine it with the criticisms from the conference?

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2013, 12:56:15 AM »
The mark is done and dusted now but I will definitely take the feedback into account when transforming the paper into an actual presentation!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
I'm giving a presentation today on Project Management Team Roles. It consists of 11 slides... each one of which has a picture from Office Space on it. I hope the professor has a sense of humor.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »
Just saw this FB status.

"missing being at school, writing and actually using my brain but looks like I may have to settle for some bs mindless job and what's worse is people are now having to fight for these little whatever jobs because there's nothing else out there ugh...anyone want to start a new business venture with me? lol" 

I can't begin to describe how many of these I've seen and how many people I know in this dilemma. Sad thing is, this person spent well over $100k on her college career. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
^^^ This is so very true and it has been on my mind for years.

Many of my friends have bachelor degrees, but have to work menial dead-end jobs unrelated to their degree field just to make ends meet. The bachelor's degree has become more of a high school diploma these days imo.

When I entered college I foolishly assumed that I could just get a degree in anything and then there would be a job waiting for me. How wrong I was. If only I had known what I know now back when I was a freshman in college, I would have done everything differently.

Its only now, 6 years in, that I'm actually pursuing a degree which actually has the potential to get me a job upon finishing.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »
Yeah, I've been thinking about it too.  Kind of a bummer, honestly, because I'm not entirely sure I want to go to grad school.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
^^^ This is so very true and it has been on my mind for years.

Many of my friends have bachelor degrees, but have to work menial dead-end jobs unrelated to their degree field just to make ends meet. The bachelor's degree has become more of a high school diploma these days imo.

I don't think this applies to all degrees, but certainly to the majority of the ones my friend's have received. It seems like so many jobs today that require a degree, don't really need the degree. A friend of mine is a case manager at a halfway house. He was just recently promoted to that position, but what he was originally been hired for required the degree that took him 5 years to earn. He could have been trained in literally three weeks to do what he needed to do (watch people piss, fill out a form saying they didn't cheat, and drive people in a van to community service). I feel that is the case with most jobs these days.

A good buddy of mine is in a depression funk like I've never seen. He went to college for 5 years and earned a communications degree. He doesn't even know where to apply, let alone hope to get hired. Hes working the same position I am at a sister location for $4.50 an hour less than what I make. I've worked there for seven years and have gotten many raises and promotions. Also keep in mind that minimum wage was $1.50 an hour less when I've started, so he actually started much higher than I did. 

After this semester, I only have 4 classes left until I get my degree in Management Information Systems. While that is something that I think a degree is needed for, I still have no confidence. I feel like if I don't score an internship, I am going to be fucked come time to try and find a real job. I have three interviews so far, but I'm still nervous as hell.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
Yeah, I've been thinking about it too.  Kind of a bummer, honestly, because I'm not entirely sure I want to go to grad school.

Grad school is really iffy. I've heard so many horror stories about people that feel they wasted their money. They end up just getting hired at the same rate as people with bachelor degrees. Many people think they don't get hired because employers see them as over-qualified.

Stuff like this:

https://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/news/economy/1106/gallery.student_debt/index.html

I'm lucky enough to have a major that doesn't really emphasize grad school. I can go and take extra classes or get certifications on my own accord. It's a lot cheaper while at the same time showing an employer that I demonstrate legitimate interest and initiative.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »

I don't think this applies to all degrees, but certainly to the majority of the ones my friend's have received. It seems like so many jobs today that require a degree, don't really need the degree. A friend of mine is a case manager at a halfway house. He was just recently promoted to that position, but what he was originally been hired for required the degree that took him 5 years to earn. He could have been trained in literally three weeks to do what he needed to do (watch people piss, fill out a form saying they didn't cheat, and drive people in a van to community service). I feel that is the case with most jobs these days.

I think this is another huge point and I think there should be a serious re-evaluation of the educational paradigm, at least for some of the degrees offered.

Right now its

1. Go to lectures/read textbook for 2 years of your major
2. Get 2 years of gen eds(which have nothing to do with your job) but allegedly make you well rounded 
3. Get a degree, which you can't use until you intern and actually learn how to do your job while on the job. All with the potential of a lot of educational related debt.

I would argue to eliminate the first 2 steps entirely (for the jobs which don't really require a degree) and then maybe set up an apprenticeship/internship scenario immediately out of high-school, based on the student's interests. I feel like experience is the best teacher rather than listen to a professor theorize about conceptual material.

Now on the contrary, yes there are jobs which require the typical education like medical school, engineering and so forth, and I'm in no way qualified enough to even categorize or separate them, but I do feel like an honest discourse should be had on what kids are actually getting out of their college education.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »
I feel like my degree, Management Information Systems, needs a serious overhaul. While I loved Biology and Anthropology, I shouldn't have had to take them. I could have done without World Crafts, Intro to Fiction, Spanish (3 levels), and Classical Music. I feel like many technology degrees should be treated like a trade school prepares HVAC and auto-mechanics. Don't prepare us for internships. Prepare us to have a full understand and working knowledge of business and information systems, not just the general concepts.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »

Grad school is really iffy. I've heard so many horror stories about people that feel they wasted their money. They end up just getting hired at the same rate as people with bachelor degrees. Many people think they don't get hired because employers see them as over-qualified.

Stuff like this:

https://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/news/economy/1106/gallery.student_debt/index.html

I'm lucky enough to have a major that doesn't really emphasize grad school. I can go and take extra classes or get certifications on my own accord. It's a lot cheaper while at the same time showing an employer that I demonstrate legitimate interest and initiative.

As someone whose gone through the process, I would say it is worth it, so long as you are invested in the material you will be studying in researching as opposed to just the qualifications itself.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »
I feel like my degree, Management Information Systems, needs a serious overhaul. While I loved Biology and Anthropology, I shouldn't have had to take them. I could have done without World Crafts, Intro to Fiction, Spanish (3 levels), and Classical Music. I feel like many technology degrees should be treated like a trade school prepares HVAC and auto-mechanics. Don't prepare us for internships. Prepare us to have a full understand and working knowledge of business and information systems, not just the general concepts.

That's because college is not trade school.  A college degree tell employers you have a wide knowledge base and you're adaptable.  Technology changes, and you have to be able to change with it.  Computer Science people are in the same boat...adaptability is much more important than knowing what is current right now.  Trade schools are great if your job skills don't have to evolve, and are useless if you do.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
Didn't even know there was a thread dedicated to college. Wow. Anyways, this is what I'm taking this semester:

ES 4560 - Applied Geophysics
ES 4530 - Structural Geology
ES 2245 - Intro to Data Analysis
Physics 1251 - Electricity/Magnetism/Quantum Mechanics

I'm a 4th year senior (Geophysics Major) at Ohio State.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Lotion

« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
To the Americans here, I wonder if you guys could help me out by telling me about some of your cities/state. I want to take a year abroad(I'm norwegian).

My schools have some partner institutions in a numerous of cities, and I'd like some pointers of which places that could give me a good time, I don't mean I want my stay to seem like American Pie. I just want to experience stuff, if I go there. I've heard of people studying abroad in Texas(don't know which uni), and they were bored most of the time. Except for a few parties there was nothing to do for them there.

So here's a list of the possible schools: https://www.bi.no/studenter/studieopphold-i-utlandet/partner-institutions/

I'd appreciate any kind of response

By the way, I study Business and administration.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
To the Americans here, I wonder if you guys could help me out by telling me about some of your cities/state. I want to take a year abroad(I'm norwegian).

My schools have some partner institutions in a numerous of cities, and I'd like some pointers of which places that could give me a good time, I don't mean I want my stay to seem like American Pie. I just want to experience stuff, if I go there. I've heard of people studying abroad in Texas(don't know which uni), and they were bored most of the time. Except for a few parties there was nothing to do for them there.

So here's a list of the possible schools: https://www.bi.no/studenter/studieopphold-i-utlandet/partner-institutions/

I'd appreciate any kind of response

By the way, I study Business and administration.

YAY! I'm an american who spent a year abroad, great to see the reverse.

So, out of those schools, the ones that seem likely to be fun in some form:

Pace University - I know nothing about the school, but it's in NYC which would be cool.
American University - I also know nothing about the school, but you're in DC and with public transit you're easily able to see a ton of different parts of the east coast.
San Diego State University - It's not an amazing uni, but it has an insane party scene, so you'd definitely get an experience.
Texas A&M and UT Austin - I know little about these schools, but by all accounts they're quite good, and Austin is a cool city.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »
@ Lotion,

It would be easier to say that most of those are pretty good schools, but I would say the premier schools quality of education wise are Wisconcin, Texas A&M, Texas Austin, and Minnesota in no particular order.  Madison and Austin have pretty unique local atmospheres.  U Minnesota is located in a major city.

My childhood friend has a Masters in Business from McGill University in Canada and is doing quite well for himself, and I'm saying that as an American.