Author Topic: JLB: "We Will Never let Portnoy come back in our band" (Brazil Interview)  (Read 69962 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Surprised that nobody seems to be talking about this interview made by Brazilian website terra to JLB before their visit to Brazil. I don't have much time to translate the full interview, but I'm gonna translate the Portnoy-regarding questions.

Terra: Dream Theater has experimented an important formation change in 2010, when drummer Mike Portnoy, one of its founders, decided to left the band. How do you face that notice?
JLB: When Mike Said he was going to leave the band, we turned on him and said "Don't do it, it's a big mistake, you're gonna regret it" and, just like that, after six or eight months this happened: He regretted the decision and  wanted to come back. However, for that time we had already made trials with seven drummers from all the world and had already chosen Mike Mangini in his place. For me, Mike made a big mistake, but in the other side I think everything has a reason in life. I think he did it because he wanted to go on with his side projects, see another possibilities inside music, something he still does. I think he's regretting his decision, but at the same time, DT as a band sounds better, and we're feeling good in a way we haven't felt very long ago. Mike Mangini is a phenomenal drummer that brought a completely new spirit to the band. We felt a lot better, playing and doing what we love to do. It's a shame for Mike Portnoy, but, ironically, all of this made us realize we're a better band without him.

Have you noticed that Portnoy wasn't satisfied with DT anymore before announcing his departure? Is there any possibility that he could come back to the band someday?
Definitely there will not be any Mike Portnoy return. In this moment we think we're gonna be what we are now, with Mike Mangini, until the day we decide to stop. Portnoy will never come back. This is permanent, it's what we have decided in the band and we feel very good about the idea. We're very proud of A Dramatic Turn of events, it's an incredible album, and Mike Mangini is a phenomenal Drummer that has done things very good. He got in a band with more than 20 years of history and he continued our vision. This is admirable and deserves all the respect of the world for being capable of doing it, now that, after all, it was a tough situation and I can imagine all the pressure and stress that was over him, but he could admirably manage everything. Because of this, we feel even better as a band, with the feeling that we're going to stay with this lineup until the band's final.

How did you feel when Portnoy announced his departure?
Well, it surprised me. I really didn't expect to hear that. On the other side we have to remember that on that day we were originally reunited to discuss when we were going to come back to the studio to record a new album. And MP got closer to us and said he felt we should take a rest of the band, for undefined time, and we weren't ready to hear that. We said "No, this is what we do, this is what we like to do and we want to keep doing it". None of us was thinking about stopping and he wanted to stay out of activity from a year an a half to five years. In my opinion, in this world of the music industry, a period of hiatus of those lengths just marks the death of a band. We weren't expecting Mike's departure, but, you know, there's a reason for everything, and I think we're are a better band after all that happened. In the end, it ended up being a blessing.

The Disc title (A Dramatic Turn of Events), does it refer to Portnoy's post-departure?
No. When we put that title in the album, we knew that most of our fans would think that it would be a reference to MP and his departure of the band. But it has nothing to do with that. It's a Dramatic turn of Events regarding all that we have experimented in the last years as human beings. In all the world a series of dramatic, spiritual, and religious changes are being experimented. Societies are changing, revolutions and wars are happening all around the world, like in Egypt and Syria, the people are fighting for a fair treatment and that's exactly what the album refers to.

He also addressed some questions such as the new tour, their return to Brazil, their position in the modern music industry, and Broadway.

James briefly talked about the subject on another interview that appears in Page 6 of this thread.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:45:55 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Mladen

Damn, I hope we'll get an interview in English, sounds like James spoke very openly about it. He's being more and more open towards these questions as time goes by.

EDIT: Google translate appeared to be pretty useful for once.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:38:17 AM by Mladen »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure why this news is still so shocking. DT have already turned Mike P's request to come back down once, and they've never been anything but steadfast in their assertion that Mike M is the permanent full-time drummer of the band.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
I don't know if this is the exact translation. While this is very honest of JLB it can be read by many out of context.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline The Letter M

Besides, Portnoy seems pretty busy with Neal Morse/Flying Colors and Adrenaline Mob, as well as his two other projects.

Still hoping MP puts together another tribute band, or reunites with one of his old ones (like Cygnus And The Sea Monsters! I'd kill for them to play "By-Tor & The Snow Dog"/"The Necromancer", as well as"Xanadu" and "La Villa Strangiato").

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:45:11 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
What really surprises me is that I was supposed to say the full inteview iin the OP but I hit the post button by mistake :D It's on its way!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
It isn't that MP is busy doing other things, or that James is being misinterpreted.

It's that MP isn't coming back, and no-one actually in the band has ever mentioned an MP return as a possibility.  Likewise, MM has never been presented to fans as anything less than the full time drummer of the band.

The only person that's ever even suggested that MP could rejoin one day is MP.

None of this is breaking news.

Offline Nest777

The first question Portnoy-related:

Dream Theater has experimented an important formation change in 2010, when drummer Mike Portnoy, one of its founders, decided to left the band. How do you face that?
When Mike said he wanted to leave the band, we told him: “don’t do it, it’s a big mistake, you’ll regret it”. And of course, after 6-8 weeks, it happened: he had regretted his decision and asked to come back. However, by that time we had already done the auditions with seven world-class drummers and we had chosen Mike Mangini as our new drummer. In my opinion, Mike (Portnoy) made a huge mistake, but on the other hand, I think there’s a reason for everything in this life. I guess he did it because he wanted to carry on with his projects, he wanted to discover other possibilities in the music industry, and that’s something he’s doing right now. I think he regrets his decision, but at the same time, Dream Theater, as a band, sounds better, and we all are feeling good in a way we’ve not experienced in many years. Mike Mangini is a phenomenal drummer; he brought a completely new spirit to the band. We feel much better, playing and doing what we love to do. Too bad for Mike Portnoy, but, ironically, all of this made us realize that we are a much better band without him.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Not sure why this news is still so shocking. DT have already turned Mike P's request to come back down once, and they've never been anything but steadfast in their assertion that Mike M is the permanent full-time drummer of the band.

This. As I didn't see the thread title quote in the translation in the OP, I'd like to see the whole thing to get context before trying to make any judgement of a translation, but I'm guessing JLB's comment was more a statement about MM's permanent position in the band, rather than a statement about MP himself. As long as they have MM, it is clear they're not going to let MP back in, or anyone else for that matter. MM is as much a member now as JLB/JP/JM/JR.

edit: after seeing the full translation for that MP question, it actually comes across as pretty bitchy imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nest777

Next question Portnoy-related:

Did you feel Portnoy wasn’t satisfied with Dream Theater after he parted ways? Is there any chance of him coming back?

Definitely, Mike Portnoy won’t come back. In this moment, we want to be what we are now, with Mike Mangini, until the day we decide to stop. This is permanent, it’s what the band has decided and we are comfortable with the idea. We are very proud of A Dramatic Turn of Events, it’s an incredible album, y Mike Mangini is an awesome drummer who has made his work very well. He joined a band with 20+ years of history, and he carried on with our vision. That’s very admirable, and he deserves all the respect for being able to do it, because, after all, it was a very tough situation for him. He had to struggle with a  lot of pressure and stress, but he handled it just fine. Because of this, we feel even better as a band; we have the feeling that this is going to be the ultimate line-up of the band.

I see LCArenas has already translated it :D
Gracias compañero!

Offline robwebster

The first question Portnoy-related:

Dream Theater has experimented an important formation change in 2010, when drummer Mike Portnoy, one of its founders, decided to left the band. How do you face that?
When Mike said he wanted to leave the band, we told him: “don’t do it, it’s a big mistake, you’ll regret it”. And of course, after 6-8 weeks, it happened: he had regretted his decision and asked to come back. However, by that time we had already done the auditions with seven world-class drummers and we had chosen Mike Mangini as our new drummer. In my opinion, Mike (Portnoy) made a huge mistake, but on the other hand, I think there’s a reason for everything in this life. I guess he did it because he wanted to carry on with his projects, he wanted to discover other possibilities in the music industry, and that’s something he’s doing right now. I think he regrets his decision, but at the same time, Dream Theater, as a band, sounds better, and we all are feeling good in a way we’ve not experienced in many years. Mike Mangini is a phenomenal drummer; he brought a completely new spirit to the band. We feel much better, playing and doing what we love to do. Too bad for Mike Portnoy, but, ironically, all of this made us realize that we are a much better band without him.
Keeping in mind that this has been translated into Brazilian and back, so it's fair to say that crucial nuances might've been lost between what we're reading and what James actually said. Not that I'm commenting on the accuracy of Nest's or LCArenas' translations - judging by their written English it's probably impeccable - but they can only ever be as accurate as the magazine's own translation.

That said, even as blunt as the transcription is, I find it hard to disagree with him. Mike wasn't finding happiness with Dream Theater, but as soon as he's found his new thing, it'll be full steam ahead. I don't think it will be Flying Colors - I have a feeling Mike's next big thing hasn't been started yet - but I wouldn't be disappointed if it were.

And from the band's perspective... they're selling well! They're grammy-nominated. And crucially, they're more of an artistic democracy. Not to accuse Mike Portnoy of being an autocrat or a dictator or anything like that, that'd be a huge exaggeration, but he definitely captained each decision. I get the impression that each member has a lot more creative freedom than they used to. Jordan Rudess was a "hired gun," in Paul Northfield's words, and John Myung was more of a bass-droid than an active partner, but now they're both right at the core of the songwriting team. James LaBrie's been allowed to record his own vocals. Producing them with Rich Chycki - that's a lot of trust! Only took twenty years.

It'll work out best for both of them. Already has worked out best for Dream Theater. Not the most tactful way of phrasing it, but reading it, I could only think, "Well, yes!"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
I see LCArenas has already translated it :D
Gracias compañero!
De nada! Personalmente encuentro que es durísimo traducir del español al inglés (Más que viceversa) Pero espero haya quedado bien. Saludos! :tup

Not that I'm commenting on the accuracy of Nest's or LCArenas' translations - judging by their written English it's probably impeccable
Did robwebster just complimented our written English skills? Now that's totally awesome! :metal
But yes, I actually tried to search an original English version of the interview (To no avail) because it's a translation of another translation and I normally don't feel comfortable doing that. I hope the original Brazilian translation is accurate though.
Jordan Rudess was a "hired gun," in Paul Northfield's words,
Did he say that? When?

Offline robwebster

Jordan Rudess was a "hired gun," in Paul Northfield's words,
Did he say that? When?
Lifting Shadows! Although the last time I remembered anything from Lifting Shadows someone with a copy of the book to hand told me explicitly that it was utter nonsense, so you might want to wait for a verification on that one. q: I lent my copy to a friend ages ago... haven't seen it since! It'll turn up again. One day.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
It'll turn up again. One day.

You mean...

SOMEDAY SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Madman Shepherd

Before anybody freaks out, please know (as some people have already mentioned) that there is always a lot lost in translation.  While JLB seems pretty straight forward and almost "bitchy", I bet its not nearly as bad if you were to hear the audio or see the video of his exact words.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
It isn't that MP is busy doing other things, or that James is being misinterpreted.

It's that MP isn't coming back, and no-one actually in the band has ever mentioned an MP return as a possibility.  Likewise, MM has never been presented to fans as anything less than the full time drummer of the band.

This. There is no need to go ape shit over this. Everyone has known/suspected this for a while and JLB essentially confirmed it. Portnoy is not coming back and the band has an extremely bright future with MM.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:03:22 PM by ResultsMayVary »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
The only word from that interview I read in James' voice was "phenomenal".

Offline Madman Shepherd

Compare this to a band like Kiss that has even said that they may one day continue without any original members.  There is all sorts of talk and speculation about whether Gene or Paul will actually drop out and find a replacement.  I don't really think for a second that they would actually do that.  If one or the other quits then the band is probably done (which is why they are milking it for all its worth right now). 

I for one am glad Dream Theater doesn't talk about the future with such uncertainty.  When Jordan joined, it was for good.  When James joined, it was for good.  Now that Mangini is in, he ain't leaving unless something tragic happens (severe injury or death which to be honest is just tactless to talk about). 

I do not fault James at all for saying it like he did. 
This. There is no need to go ape shit over this. Everyone has known/suspected this, for a while and JLB essentially confirmed it. Portnoy is not coming back and the band has an extremely bright future with MM.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Think about it rationally.  It's utterly against DT's interests for there to be any ambiguity about whether or not MM is the permanent drummer in the band.  The color/texture/flavor of JLB's words was lost in the translation, but the message is what it's supposed to be.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Think about it rationally.  It's utterly against DT's interests for there to be any ambiguity about whether or not MM is the permanent drummer in the band.  The color/texture/flavor of JLB's words was lost in the translation, but the message is what it's supposed to be.
Precisely.

The only word from that interview I read in James' voice was "phenomenal".
PHNOMENAL.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Amen to that.

But honestly, JLB was pretty blunt with what he said, and I can't say I blame him.  While I know that Portnoy said plenty of good things about JLB over the years, he took many shots at him as well.  JLB was in essence Mike Portnoy's personal punching bag, so you really can't blame LaBrie for firing back with a few body blows now here and there. :tup :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

But honestly, JLB was pretty blunt with what he said, and I can't say I blame him.  While I know that Portnoy said plenty of good things about JLB over the years, he took many shots at him as well.  JLB was in essence Mike Portnoy's personal punching bag, so you really can't blame LaBrie for firing back with a few body blows now here and there. :tup :tup

:tup :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Well, to be honest, you can. He never went over that line for me, but if he did, I would blame him. Because, you know, if someone punches you, it's sure as hell satisfying to punch back, but in verbal fights silence is often the most powerful response.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've often thought that the best revenge is to do nothing. It not only makes you seem like the bigger man - but the other person is always expecting revenge that never comes.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Well, to be honest, you can. He never went over that line for me, but if he did, I would blame him. Because, you know, if someone punches you, it's sure as hell satisfying to punch back, but in verbal fights silence is often the most powerful response.

It is, and JLB has been mostly silent for the past two years, outside of this and a couple other comments, so it is not like he rips Portnoy left and right.  He was asked a direct question, and while he didn't have to elaborate and be as blunt as he was, I understand why.  Like I said, you can only take so much, and again, JLB has kept mostly quiet about it since September 2010.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

It is, and JLB has been mostly silent for the past two years, outside of this and a couple other comments, so it is not like he rips Portnoy left and right.  He was asked a direct question, and while he didn't have to elaborate and be as blunt as he was, I understand why.  Like I said, you can only take so much, and again, JLB has kept mostly quiet about it since September 2010.

I'm lost. What happened September 2010?

Offline The Letter M

I'm lost. What happened September 2010?

Uhm....

"On September 8, 2010, Mike Portnoy announced that he would be leaving Dream Theater, citing better relationships in other projects, burnout, and his desire for a break as reasons."

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Clairvoyant

Mangini said more or less the same thing when he said that he's the drummer and that mike portnoy is not coming back. Anyway we shall see what the future holds, I hope this band will carry on with or without portnoy even if mike mangini will remain the drummer, after all he's a phenomenal drummer, but we shall see what will happen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

"On September 8, 2010, Mike Portnoy announced that he would be leaving Dream Theater, citing better relationships in other projects, burnout, and his desire for a break as reasons."

-Marc.

Well that will tend to happen when you insult your own band......

Offline johncal

Mangini said more or less the same thing when he said that he's the drummer and that mike portnoy is not coming back. Anyway we shall see what the future holds, I hope this band will carry on with or without portnoy even if mike mangini will remain the drummer, after all he's a phenomenal drummer, but we shall see what will happen.

So how exactly does that happen/ The band could carry on with or without Portny even if Mangini remained the drummer? That would be like building bond fires in a gasoline refinery. Yeah, it'll be ok. Exactly what would Portnoy do, set up Mangini's drums? Maybe play Congas. forget it. Mangini is technically and groove wise on a different planet. Go back and listen to the older DT stuff now and try to tell me there's anything there Mangini hasn't already proven he can't do.... and usually with 1 hand. AND, he's a great guy THAT GETS ALONG as a TEAM player.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

But it wasn't even like he said anything bad or derogatory. It's not like he said, "MP is too much of a dick to be in DT now" or something of the sort. He just said the band is where it needs to be right now, and Mike Mangini is an integral part of that.

I mean, on the other hand, interviewers tend to get very redundant. I think it would get pretty tiresome and annoying if people constantly kept asking, "Do you think MP will be back in DT someday?" Especially when you think the answer is no. It really seems like JLB is trying to bring that statement home, and just clarify definitively that no, MP will not be coming back.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I am eagerly awaiting MP's response, which I am sure we will get.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
I am reluctantly awaiting MP's response, which I am sure we will get.

Fixed that for me. I don't want to MP talk about it anymore. I want to see him doing other things.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
...I'm more interested in the mention of Broadway that's apparently in the interview- Translation please!
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.