Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300716 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1680 on: April 14, 2017, 01:38:44 PM »
And as difficult as they are, they're sacrifices I'm happy to make.  There was a time when I never would've imagined being able to play all of Bark at the Moon correctly.  I'll happily accept some fatigue as the payment for now being able to do something, I never thought I could.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1681 on: April 14, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
That's what it's all about.  I mean, I look at guys who've been playing for years, the pros, and they're always talking about trying to improve, learning new things, trying new things.  I used to think "Are you fucking kidding me?"  These guys play 10 times better than I ever will, but they're not slowing down.  And then I realized that it's always a constant journey; you're always looking to grow.  There are songs I can play now that I never could before, either (okay, mostly because I was never in a band good enough to play them), but I'm 55 this year and still pushing.  Players gotta play.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1682 on: April 18, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
So as discussed in the GD char thread, it appears I'll have to learn 3 songs for this fill-in gig.  Lonesome Loser, Jessie's Girl, and a Volbeat song called Lola Montez.  They're all pretty straightforward, so it shouldn't be a problem.  I do need to dust off all the old stuff and make sure I remember it all.  It's a LOT of material to remember, but I played the stuff for long enough, that I should be able to remember it all with a minimum amount of effort.  *crosses fingers*

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1683 on: April 18, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »
Good luck!! :tup

I'm pretty tired these days, but there is much music to be made!

Recorder quartet was last Thursday; it went well.  Small but appreciative audience.

Friday was to be the second rehearsal for the one-off band we're putting together for the charity thing, but our singer ended up in the E.R. Thursday night, was released Friday, but was taking some time to rest.  We'd penciled in a rehearsal for Monday (last night) because the gig's this Friday, and losing last Friday's rehearsal changed last night's from "maybe" to "definitely".  So we rehearsed last night.

Oh yeah, in between, Sunday morning was Easter of course, so the church choir did three pieces from Handel's Messiah.  I swear to God, Handel must've had an ex-boyfriend who was a Tenor who pissed him off or something because Handel writes absolutely sadistic Tenor parts.  We opened with the Hallelujah Chorus, and it was the easiest of the three pieces we did.  We closed the service with the final piece from the oratorio, so there are like 10 pages of "Amens" going on and on and building and getting higher and higher and more complicated and parts are interweaving and pretty soon the Tenors need oxygen masks.  Holy Crap!  Like, literally.  But we did it.

Easter Morning, we traditionally augment the choir with "real brass", but it's getting harder and harder to find trumpets and/or trombones to play, and we don't have a huge budget.  So just like last year, Brian and I played saxophones, which are made of brass, so technically that counts.  Unlike last year, Brian played his tenor sax; I stuck with my alto.  It sounded sweet.  So singing three tunes, playing sax on two more, plus other incidental stuff (Doxology, etc.)

Back to the one-off band.  After last night's rehearsal, there were serious concerns about even doing the gig Friday.  Bill (guitar) and Ryan (drums) have been "so busy lately" that they haven't had time to practice any of the tunes.  Haven't even had time to listen to them.  And it showed.  But seriously, are you fucking kidding me??  Three weeks, you haven't found even an hour to listen to the fucking songs?  Bill is the most concerned, and I guess it's really his gig and not Mike and Karen's, but he's just been "so busy lately".  Mike asked him something, and I didn't hear the question, but Bill said "Yeah, we can listen to music at work.  I could at least listen to them."

Three weeks.  Hasn't even listened to the songs.

Two days after the song list went out, I'd downloaded the few I didn't already have, uploaded all 12 of the original songs to my Dropbox, and sent links out to everyone on the mailing list.  Everybody had mp3's of all the songs three weeks ago, downloadable or streamable.  I also loaded them onto my iPod in a new playlist, and put them all on a flashdrive for in my car.  I've been listening to them over and over for three weeks.  When we added some new songs because some of the first batch weren't looking good, I added them as well, to the Dropbox and and my flashdrive.  I showed up for the first rehearsal with charts for every song.  I'd already spent a few hours practicing them.  I showed up last night with all 27 songs ready to go.  Our guitarist and drummer have had three weeks and have not even listened to them, and the gig is this Friday.

So Bill looks concerned (and he should).  It's his gig because his wife works at the homeless shelter (the charity we're doing this for) and he jumped at the chance to please his new bride by putting a band together.  Mike had contacted me, but that's because Bill doesn't know any keyboard players.  Anyway, Bill is seriously considering dropping the whole thing, except for one problem: His wife would not be happy.  Thus, Bill (and the rest of us) decide that we will do the gig.

We add another rehearsal, tomorrow night.  It was between Tuesday (tonight) and Wednesday, and I pointed out that Tuesday doesn't make any sense because what we need is time in between to work on the songs individually.  I didn't name names, but fuck, we all knew.  So we're rehearsing again tomorrow night.  Then Thursday I have choir practice, Friday's the gig, then I get up Saturday morning for rehearsal with my regular band, FlashDrive.  I'm tired now.  I'm gonna be exhausted by Saturday.

But these are the sacrifices we make for our art.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1684 on: April 19, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
Indeed they are.  Best of luck, it sounds like you're going to need it.

And there are few things that irritate me more than people showing up to practice unprepared.  THREE WEEKS?  Complete bullshit.  He had more than enough time to listen to the songs and make them happen.  He just chose other things that he preferred to do.  If it were me, and I didn't feel good about it after tomorrow night, I'm not sure I'd agree to showing up sounding half-assed.  There's simply no excuse for it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1685 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
If we had decided not to do the gig, part of me would've been relieved.  First, I wouldn't be playing a gig the night before band practice with my real band.  Second, there is a chance that we'll suck Friday night.  Since we're not getting paid anyway, just blow off the whole thing.

But part of me would also be very pissed off.  I approached this gig like I approach any other gig, professionally.  I learn my parts, I listen to the songs over and over, "playing" along with them in my head while also listening for anything I've missed that they play that should be there.  I knew up front that this would be a relatively low-key thing, and it would be fine if we were all up there with music stands and charts, so I made charts.  I'm ready to play.  To have put in all this work, only to have it called off by the guy who put it together because he himself couldn't be assed to learn his parts, would definitely be piss-worthy.

There's also this: It's not a fund-raiser for the homeless shelter, which is what I believed at first (this was my fault, my misunderstanding).  It's actually an end-of-year party, to celebrate everything they've done this (fiscal?) year, and an excuse to have some fun.  The only attendees will be the residents of the shelter (about 20) and the staff (six or seven).  They don't even know that there will be live music, so it's not like they'll be bummed when they hear that the band pulled out.  They'll show up for the party and be happy with whatever's there.  And along those lines, even if we suck (which we really won't -- we'll have some shaky moments at worst), we'll still be better than nothing, and the best thing these people have heard in a while.

What we have going for us is that we're all pros, even if some of us haven't quite acted like it thus far.  Bill says he hadn't listened to the songs, but nearly all of them are 70's tunes that we've all heard 1000 times.  Even if you've never played them before, you already know how they go, so once you know what key they're in, you can fake your way through them.  The same phenomenon we were just talking about; you can get through a song if you've heard it enough times.  What Bill hasn't done yet is listen "critically" with an ear towards learning and reproducing them.  He'll be okay.

The drummer, Ryan, is a different case.  I'm not sure why he was chosen (possibly he was the only one willing/available), but he's maybe 20 and the reason why he's been so busy is because final exams are coming up and he also has research papers and projects due for classes.  Also, being a full generation younger than us, he did not grow up with these songs and they are not embedded in his brain.  The Beatles tunes, the Doobie Brothers tunes, obvious accents that everyone knows, they completely blew past him because he had no idea that they were there.  He just kept playing 4/4 through everything.  He's the weakest link, and as I said, I'm not even sure why he was tapped for this.

But whatever.  Rehearsal tonight.  I left my gear at Mike's house Monday night.  No sense in hauling it all home, because I wasn't going to set it up again last night and play anything, only to tear it down and pack it up again for tonight, plus I was too damned tired.  We'll see how it goes.  Good thing this isn't a regular band, because I'd be pissed already.  Instead, I'm just annoyed and concerned.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1686 on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
Dude, if I had time, I would totally come to your rescue on drums.  I wouldn't even need to practice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1687 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
If that were the case, I'd recommend you.  Seriously, I'd tell Bill that this Ryan guy obviously isn't working out, hasn't learned the songs, but I know a guy who already knows all these tunes.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1688 on: April 20, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
Feeling better about my group recently. I sent a simply alt rock type song earlier in the week, but one that incorporates some jazzier, colorful, poppier chords - something a lot different than our typical slow, minor key post-rock. Thought I'd get the typical "nah, that's not us" response, but we everyone listened to it and we spent 30 minutes or so last night working on it. Everyone's happy with where it's going, and it feels very "us" with the other guys adding their own twists.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1689 on: April 20, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
If that were the case, I'd recommend you.  Seriously, I'd tell Bill that this Ryan guy obviously isn't working out, hasn't learned the songs, but I know a guy who already knows all these tunes.
:metal

"I know a guy..."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1690 on: April 22, 2017, 06:55:44 AM »
Well, we played the thing.  Ryan the drummer never did learn his parts.  Some but not all, and his tempos sucked.  Bill never did learn his parts.  Some but very few.  And you know what?  They loved us anyway.  They yelled for more.  We gave them more.  They yelled for even more.  We played songs over again that we'd already played because it was all "we" knew.  I still had my stash of another dozen charts ready to go; hell, we could have gone at 'em with just me, Karen, Mike, and Scott.  It would've been fine.  But whatever.  Worst gig I've played in years, but the best time I've had all week.

Any musicians there would have been embarrassed for us, but regular people don't know and don't care.  We played, they liked.  I'll take it.

Tired as hell right now, but I gotta get ready for band practice.  Coffee is ready.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1691 on: April 22, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
Any musicians there would have been embarrassed for us, but regular people don't know and don't care.

Funny how that works. Being a musician has kinda ruined me for going out to see local bands. I unconsciously hear every mistake. I don't purposely look for them and I don't WANT to hear them, but I can't help it. And I've seen bad bands where the crowd couldn't get enough of them. So weird.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1692 on: April 22, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
Yep, it's strange.  I can't help but listen to what another is playing and I hear the mistakes and all that.  When they get to that one part, the tricky part, will they get it?  And if they don't, they suck!  But regular people just hear a band.  Someone's playing guitar, someone's banging on drums, someone's singing, most of it sounds reasonably in tune and in time, good enough.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1693 on: April 22, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »
The only picture from the gig where I'm visible.  This'll probably end up in the Picture Thread too because I'm an attention whore.

Orbert (keyboards, sax, vocals), Bill (guitar, vocals), Karen (vocals), Mike (bass, vocals), Scott (percussion, harmonica), Ryan (drums)

We introduced ourselves as Revelation, which was only picked about five minutes before we started, and it doesn't matter anyway because it was a one-off gig.  We're all too busy to start another band on a regular basis.  Nothing like a good one-night stand.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1694 on: May 03, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
So a quick update on the situation I posed about earlier.

Link for reference: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=33789.msg2289545#msg2289545

I completed the recording project for the band, mixed and mastered. They released it the next day and scheduled a release show at their rehearsal space, a kind of house show and started to book more shows, contact people about playing out more.

I typed up a post-production analysis (don't know what you would call it), pretty much spelling out what I had to do, what they needed to work on, and what they could really focus on to become tight as a band, both live and in the studio, and make the entire process go better for all involved the next time around. I didn't get any response, not that I expected any. From what I have heard, none of the band members made any mention of it in any of their get-togethers either. I can say I tried at least to tell them.

As you might expect though, if you've read my original post...the live shows didn't go all that well, especially the one down in the city. Musically, they were alright. Nothing spectacular, but not great either. Vocally...that was rough. It was really off, and incredibly off pitch. Couple this on top of a decent, but not particularly captivating performance by the musicians, and I wouldn't say that they came off particularly well. I wouldn't say that it was horrible by any means, but it just goes to show that the producer can fix all your mistakes and quirks in the studio, but those will be evident if you hit the stage and you haven't worked on them.

In any case, my part of this is over with and it is up to the band now to make it or break it out there live. If anyone is interested in hearing the recordings, let me know. But otherwise, thanks for listening to this saga and for your opinions.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1695 on: May 04, 2017, 02:56:48 AM »
Interesting to read, for sure. Especially since I am in a band, and I've known for some time that playing tight is something we all need to work on. It's not really a big problem for us right now since we're not doing gigs yet, but sooner or later we will want to do that and I know that we have to be ready. So I've always got that little bit of stress about that in the back of my mind.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1696 on: May 04, 2017, 03:54:10 AM »
I haven't picked up my guitar in so long. I intentionally got an acoustic/electric so I could learn some classical guitar but also have the luxury of it being an electric when I need that option. It sits there most of the time. I got as a gift a couple of classical guitar music books. I've looked through them both and they have some great selections.

Any other classical guitar players here?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1697 on: May 04, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
First of two fill-in gigs for my old band is this weekend.  Here's the set list:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1698 on: May 04, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »
So...what genre is it?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1699 on: May 04, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »
lol, it was mostly hard rock and metal before I left.  Lonesome Loser they picked up because the Motorcycle Club the singer's a part of is called the Lonesome Losers.  They picked up a few less metal songs, I assume to help out their old guitarist who was in WAY over his head with these guys.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:21:33 PM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1700 on: May 13, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »
First gig with the new band tonight. The response and comments after the fact were VERY complimentary. About 20 minutes after we finished, a buddy of mine, a guitarist in another band (he's also very well known on the circuit and very respected) who was doing the sister event to the benefit we played, maybe a half hour away, messaged me and says "I heard you guys kicked ass tonight". Which means somebody important here messaged him and told him so. Very, very cool. Got all but the first song recorded. So fecking stoked.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1701 on: May 13, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »
Nice Coz :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1702 on: May 13, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
Excellent!  :tup

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1703 on: May 15, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
Still stoked about Saturday.  I will say it was a slightly rough start.  I like to wear sunglasses on stage - it sounds dumb, but it's almost like I can hide behind them.  I like that.  However, this place was dark.  There were lights at the front of the stage, but for the first few songs they weren't on.  Then they came on later, but not very bright.  I had to take the sunglasses off and even then, I still had trouble seeing the dots on my guitar.  At times, I had to turn sideways, so that the back lights could hit the neck and I could see where I was.  That was rough.  We eventually settled into a groove and it came off really good.  I have twelve songs on video that I have to transfer and split up.  It's boomy, from all the bass, but it was a little place.  Not much I could do about that, unfortunately.

Now this Saturday, I do the other fill-in gig for my old band, with my new band opening.  Gonna be excellent.  Now we have to start building a second set.  If we can get two 15-song sets together, we can do gigs with an opener.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:12:37 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1705 on: May 18, 2017, 10:32:27 PM »
Rock and Roll!

Your bass player looks and acts so much like my buddy Chris that it's unreal.  Watching the vids, I could easily imagine it being Chris.  That's wacky.  Chris is easily the best musician I personally know, the co-star in my Styx and Foreigner concert stories, and a total character.  He plays guitar, bass, and/or keyboards, sings, and does it all very well.  Back in 80's, we were in a band together and he played bass, and looked exactly like your guy.  Unreal.  :omg:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1706 on: May 19, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »
First of two fill-in gigs for my old band is this weekend.  Here's the set list:

*Setlist*

Damn, that's a huge setlist! Good stuff in there, too :)

---

My band is doing alright at the moment. Planning to release the second video for our upcoming debut album in the first week of June. Then there's a release show coming later this year (to be announced...) and hopefully a bunch of gigs after that. It's going to be a good year still, at least that's the planning. Releasing the album is proving to be a real game changer behind the scenes. We're having to set up a business and all that behind the scenes to actually be able to distribute the CDs and make some money, without needing to hassle and share the costs and expenses after every single transaction. It's really getting somewhere, which is obviously a lot of fun, but also some work. I 'just' want to play mostly, but of course I want stuff to be arranged well enough behind the scenes. In short: album is coming, and I can't really wait :)

And beside that, I'm going to have a chat with some local guys about forming a new band. I don't really know them, yet, but one is a great drummer, the other a bassist of a recently disbanded local band. They want to set up something new and asked me, as well as another guitarist. I don't have good experiences playing in a band with two guitarists, but I'll see how this plays out.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1707 on: May 22, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Sounds great!  Best of luck!

Around here, most places have a band from like 9-1, or somewhere thereabouts.  So it's very normal to see a 40-45 song night like I posted.  Two set breaks and a lot of music.

A couple from this weekend's gig:

Raise Your Hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMoa9WJq-Mk

Gypsy Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVNcYO8wOg8

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1708 on: May 22, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »
Rock and Roll!

Your bass player looks and acts so much like my buddy Chris that it's unreal.  Watching the vids, I could easily imagine it being Chris.  That's wacky.  Chris is easily the best musician I personally know, the co-star in my Styx and Foreigner concert stories, and a total character.  He plays guitar, bass, and/or keyboards, sings, and does it all very well.  Back in 80's, we were in a band together and he played bass, and looked exactly like your guy.  Unreal.  :omg:

Too funny.  Our bassist, Ray, is pretty laid back.  He's also a pretty good keyboard player.  He and my other bassist are damn near impossible to talk to on the phone.  You almost have to drag conversation out of them.  Phone calls to those guys are over in no time.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1709 on: May 22, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
But that's a good thing, right?  Short phone calls.

Our band does a lot, probably most, of the communicating electronically.  Since half of us are IT nerds, we have a shared online calendar for rehearsals and gigs, a private Google Group for discussion regarding logistics, set lists, etc., and some of the guys (and girls) shoot texts around to the whole group about various things.  The only time I ever talk to anyone on the phone is when John calls me and we need to talk in-depth about something big, like whether a certain member is causing issues or isn't working out.  It's my understanding, however, that the two guitarists talk a lot to work out who's playing what, and the girls communicate a lot about the vocal parts, because when we get together for rehearsals, pretty much everything's worked out and we're ready to go.  Most of our first run-throughs are shockingly good because of all the communication and work put in ahead of time (as it should be, IMO).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1710 on: May 22, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
They're probably fine, but not so much when you feel like you are the only one trying to take the conversation anywhere.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1711 on: May 26, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »
We hired a singer after months of research, keyboardist was filling in as well as he could be, now he is b*tthurt as hell because he think he is going to be bored playing now, thought he has never been hired for singing in the first place.

Drama, I hate drama

We always said that we were still searching for a singer and even him said his voice wasn't that good on recordings ^^
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1712 on: May 26, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
Sounds like an ego issue.  He needs to be reminded that the good of the band -- what sounds best, what works best -- overrides what one person wants.  He likes singing.  Boo-hoo!  He's not the singer.  You now have a singer, and the band is better, sounds better with him.  End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned.  The only possible mitigating circumstance is if he's so bored or otherwise dissatisfied that he's thinking of leaving the band.  Then you might have to consider whether it's worth having him sing a few leads on songs to appease him.  Or maybe singing background vocals will be enough.

I'm in a similar situation (which I just wrote about, I thought it was in this thread but must've been another) where I like singing, but I wasn't originally hired for vocals and the bass player sings.  I'm better (IMO) but in this case it's kinda the opposite because the others are now looking to him for backgrounds.  I want to remind them that I too am capable of providing background vocals, but I don't want it to be a whiny thing ("Hey, me too!"), and it's possible that I'm not as good as I think I am and there's a reason they're going to him for vocals now instead of me.  Also, it's less for me to have to learn, so it's not exactly unwelcome.  I rarely if ever get bored playing in my band.  So I just roll with it.  Hurts the ego a bit, but that's how it goes.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1713 on: July 10, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »
Hey guys, my band released our first full length album - it would mean a lot if you guys checked it out.
https://bloodhoundbandcamp.bandcamp.com/album/caution-k9

We're a concept band, so all of our songs revolve around this particular storyline, and although THIS particular album is connected to the story a little differently than the way you would normally expect a concept album to be connected to a story, it's still very much part of the whole thing. So give it a listen, and let me know what you guys think. Once again, it would mean a lot to me and the other band member.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:08:09 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1714 on: July 31, 2017, 01:29:51 AM »
^ Huge fan of the new album, I've just bought it & I'm downloading it now.  :tup

The only criticism I have it that it seems to drag on a lot in the 2nd half. I'd suggest maybe taking the best ideas from each song from the final quarter (apart from CK9) & putting it into one song so it flows better for the whole album.

Favourite tracks: That's A Nice Bike, Strange Things, Do You Remember, CK9
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。