Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300700 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #945 on: August 18, 2015, 07:08:11 AM »
King's X?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #946 on: August 19, 2015, 08:31:55 AM »
Um, no.

The theme this week is "Songs of Captivity."

The non-religious song we will be playing is "Stuck In The Middle With You."  Which is a problem, because every time I hear that song, I think of the torture scene in Reservoir Dogs, which is set to that song.

Should be an interesting worship service lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: August 19, 2015, 08:35:38 AM »
A good pastor would make it work :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #948 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »
Oh, HE will. 

I'm worried about ME.  I'm singing the song, and I'm just going to try not to laugh throughout.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #949 on: August 19, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
Oh, HE will. 

I'm worried about ME.  I'm singing the song, and I'm just going to try not to laugh throughout.
:lol that would be my worst nightmare...

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #950 on: August 19, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
Um, no.

The theme this week is "Songs of Captivity."

The non-religious song we will be playing is "Stuck In The Middle With You."  Which is a problem, because every time I hear that song, I think of the torture scene in Reservoir Dogs, which is set to that song.

Should be an interesting worship service lol

Haha.  Sunday just gone it was just me and a couple singers.  Towards the end we - well, I was just vamping around G Major while the pastor was talking at the end of the worship set and I slipped in Blackbird by the Beatles and that Bach Bouree in G Minor (the one Page used to do in the middle of his Heartbreaker wank live).  Quite a few funny looks from the congregation lol. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #951 on: August 20, 2015, 07:53:47 AM »
Nice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #952 on: August 23, 2015, 04:30:34 AM »
So, at rehearsal Thursday night, our drummer was out sick with a high fever.  So if he doesn't show this morning, I get to play drums.

We'll see what happens.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #953 on: August 23, 2015, 07:51:24 AM »
There's a family at our church which is basically wall-to-wall musicians.  Dad plays guitar, mom plays flute, oldest son plays piano, daughter plays viola and sings, younger son plays violin.  They are going to play "Imagine" by John Lennon today during the service.  Last week, Steve (dad) called me and asked me if I could help them out.  They were looking all over for sheet music, and couldn't find any which transcribed "Imagine" for violin.  What?

I asked what Amy (mom) would be playing.  "Flute" he said.  I know that, but what, is she just gonna play the melody, while Lauren (daughter) sings the song?  And they were thinking the violin would also just play along?  I always think that that's really lame when people do that.  It sounds horrible.  I didn't say that.  Instead I talked about how this is an opportunity to do something more creative, more interesting.  There's a string section on the original song; I could transcribe that for flute and violin.  It would be cool.  The piano of course drives the song, but a guitar strumming along would be nice.  It would be a unique arrangement.  (Also, this told me that while they all play instruments, the actual musical talent may be minimal, since they didn't realize that a violin and flute are both C instruments, therefore if the flute was just going to play the melody, the violin could play the same part, but it would still sound really lame.)

So I wrote up charts for the piano (because he was just gonna play the lame sheet-music arrangement which attempts to cover the piano part and also play the melody, as most lame sheet-music arrangements do), flute, violin, and guitar.  Sounds pretty sweet on the computer anyway.  The violin and flute, in harmony, cover the nice string parts on the record.  Then last Sunday, Steve told me that Ryan (son) might not be able to be there today, and he asked if I thought it would work without the piano, or if I'd be willing to play.

Without piano, it completely changes to a voice and guitar arrangement, augmented by flute and violin.  That would be reallly sweet, I thought.  But if they're not comfortable with that, I could play the piano part.  I never heard from them this week, so I guess they're good.  Or maybe he was just gonna tell me five minutes before the service that I'd be playing the piano.  I'd still do it, and I'd actually like to because I think it would be sweet, but I'm also really curious to hear how it sounds without the piano driving it.

We'll see what happens.  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: August 23, 2015, 04:47:18 PM »
My dad plays the guitar at church. i started out on drums playing to songs in church and now my 11 yr old brother is playing violin in church.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #955 on: August 23, 2015, 06:08:27 PM »
That's cool.  I wish I got to play more with my kids, or my wife.  My daughter has a violin that she doesn't play much anymore, but I got to accompany her a few times when she did solos, so that was cool.

"Imagine" went really well.  There are six kids altogether in this family, and with Ryan out, they augmented the sound with the two younger sons playing bongos and some kind of shaker thing.  The only one present who wasn't playing was the baby.  She gets a pass, being only like a month old.

Anyway, as a voice and guitar piece, it worked well because it's so simple and melody-driven.  The flute and violin sounded great, and the added percussion took it in slightly different direction.  A nice, unique rendition of the song.  Like an idiot, I wondered later if anyone recorded it, and realized that it should have been me.  I would have loved to have a copy.  Oh well.  You had to be there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #956 on: August 24, 2015, 06:34:32 AM »
Here is us doing "Stuck in the Middle With You" at yesterday's service, with me on acoustic guitar and lead vocal.  That was fun.

And here is a legitimate worship song from yesterday's service, "Break Every Chain", with my wife on lead vocal.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #957 on: August 24, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
Eyyyy, nice.  Sounds tight! Great vocal Hef.  Lead guitarist has some nice chops.

Break Every Chain is nice too, I quite dig that one, although we don't do it at church.  Your wife does a great job of it.

The dreaded electric drums... *shudder* lol, they don't actually sound too bad here, I've just never had a good experience with them.  There's a church around here that uses them and they sound so poos - plus you can hear the stick hitting the pads louder than the actual drum sounds.  It sounds like your soundguy has a pretty good handle on things.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #958 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:04 AM »
He does a pretty good job.  Thanks for the kind words.

I don't mind the drums.  I get to play them sometimes.  Real drums wouldn't work in our space without major shielding, and they already have a couple thousand invested in the Roland set, so yeah.

We played a gig at a retirement home last night.  We are our own roadies, so I am aching all over today.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #959 on: August 26, 2015, 08:51:01 AM »
[CSB]I remember not long after graduating high school, I was involved in playing some music with a guy at church, the guy was a big Steven Curtis Chapman fan and was a good singer and guitar player.  We re-did a hymn for a band-setting.  I Know Who Holds Tomorrow, I believe it was.  Pretty laid back, t'was kinda cool.  I was considerably inexperienced at the guitar, having only played for 5-ish years at that point, but somehow managed to put together a chord-based solo that another guitar buddy of mine said was Chet Atkins-ish.[/CSB]

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #960 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:48 AM »
Cool.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #961 on: August 26, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
So... the long-awaited first gig is scheduled for this Saturday.  This is the band that played two gratis gigs last summer, did pretty well and got reasonably good comments, then we took a short break while people went on vacations and stuff, and two days before we were to reconvene and start working up our third set, our singer quit.  She was followed out the door by the bassist, because he's her husband and it was pretty much understood that she was the reason why he was in the band.

Over the winter, we auditioned singers and bass players, found a great bass player, then it turned out that he can't practice on Saturdays, which is when we practice and he knew that.  By spring, we had a singer and bass player and started building a set list.  We're up to 26 songs, two or three sets (kinda), and this Saturday would be my first actual paid gig since the 80's.

It's an outdoor gig, a block party, and it's supposed to rain all day.  Rain date is Sunday.  It's supposed to rain all day.  Shit.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #962 on: August 26, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
Did you get Separate Ways worked out?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #963 on: August 26, 2015, 01:16:29 PM »
Yes!  We're doing the song, with the correct harmonies and everything.  If we play, that is.

We have another gig scheduled for two weeks later, another gratis gig.  It's another charity fundraiser thing, so I shouldn't really complain, but damn, it would be nice to actually get paid some time.  I love to play, and I do consider myself fortunate to be able to rock out with some good musicians and make people happy, but it is a lot of work, too, so even the $50 apiece we're supposed to get for this block party is nice, and makes it all worth it.  Not sure how many more freebies I have left in me.  Good practice blah blah blah good exposure blah blah blah charity fundraiser blah blah blah give me some fucking money, okay?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #964 on: August 27, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Good practice blah blah blah good exposure blah blah blah charity fundraiser blah blah blah give me some fucking money, okay?
:lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #965 on: August 28, 2015, 02:04:06 PM »
Our song of the week this Sunday is Show Me The Way by Styx.  That should be fun.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #966 on: August 31, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
The long-awaited debut of Orbert's Almost-Band (now an actual Band) got rained out.  Shit.

It rained on and off all day Thursday and Friday, and Saturday was looking better, but not guaranteed.  We were to start at 8PM, but had to make a call by Noon whether or not we would risk it.  Easily $10K worth of gear set up in the middle of the street with no protection from the elements, it would all be at risk if a sudden storm came through.  As of Noon, it was still raining, and the best-case scenario had things clearing up by late afternoon and staying dry throughout the evening, but that didn't look likely at all.  Worst-case and everything in between included rain.

As it turned out, things did clear up by about 5:00.  If we could've set up in three hours, in dwindling light and on wet pavement, we could've played after all.  But we called it off, and it was the right decision at the time, based on the information available.

The world will have to wait just a little longer to experience our awesomeness.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #967 on: August 31, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »
What is "Orbert's Almost Band"? It sounds cool.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #968 on: August 31, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
We will be wrapping our "Jesus Rocks" sermon series this Sunday.  Early indications are that the rock song this will be the All You Need Is Love.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #969 on: August 31, 2015, 10:47:07 AM »
What is "Orbert's Almost Band"? It sounds cool.

Just a silly nickname I came up with a while back.  This band has gone through many, many personnel changes, and it's still less than two years old.  We're a band, I mean we have singers, all instruments covered, all that, but we have yet to play a paying gig.  We did a few gratis gigs last summer, just prior to our latest implosion and subsequent restructuring.  I haven't done the math, but it's entirely possible that we've spent more total time missing at least one position than we have at full strength.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #970 on: August 31, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
We will be wrapping our "Jesus Rocks" sermon series this Sunday.  Early indications are that the rock song this will be the All You Need Is Love.

I love playing that one.  The time changes keep people on their toes, and the message of course is terrific.  We do it up with the horns and everything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #971 on: August 31, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »

I love playing that one.  The time changes keep people on their toes, and the message of course is terrific.  We do it up with the horns and everything.
We don't have actual horns, so I suspect that will be a keyboard thing, unless we just completely change the arrangement.

I'm curious to see how the time changes work.  With the band, I mean.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #972 on: August 31, 2015, 07:52:51 PM »

We don't have actual horns, so I suspect that will be a keyboard thing, unless we just completely change the arrangement.

I'm curious to see how the time changes work.  With the band, I mean.

Yeah, that one is deceptively tricky with its bar lengths!  Best of luck, would love to see another vid of that one!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #973 on: September 01, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
I've been told that I will be playing drums and singing lead on that one.

Glad it's Ringo.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #974 on: September 01, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
That's a good move - I feel like that would make it easier, seeing as the bar lengths are made to follow the vocal.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #975 on: September 11, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Well damn, it looks like we're actually gonna play this Sunday.

For those not following along (which is pretty much everybody, since this has gone on for so fucking long), the core of the band, the two guitarists and myself, have been together since last year.  We've gone through singers, drummers, and bassists, and all the personnel changes kept setting us back as far as getting songs put together, but we have 25 songs, and we're gonna see how many we get through.  No, it's not yet enough to play the bars, but it is enough for a two-hour thing.  A Sunday afternoon charity motorcycle ride to benefit the local animal shelter ("Hogs for Dogs"), a 90 minute ride out to a bar in the far northern suburbs, where we'll be set up.  The riders will get free food and reduced prices on drinks, and we'll be providing the music.

Stupid things that could not be helped:
  • This is the Chicago suburbs, it is the Bears' opening day, and it's versus the Packers.  As it happens, this bar is basically right between Chicago and Green Bay.  As you might guess, it is a huge rivalry.
  • They want us to start at 2:30.  This is idiotic because the game starts at Noon and won't be over yet.  The riders will start showing up between 1:30 and 2:30, and the whole timetable was set up before anyone realized that it's the day of the home opener.  But they didn't want to change anything because all the posters were printed and timetables were sent out.  I can't even imagine someone telling us to start playing if the game is still going, but they said they'll have it on the TVs and just turn the sound down so we can play.  Um, okay.
  • As with our previous "debut gig", which got rained out, scattered showers are in the forecast for Sunday, and this is an outdoor gig.  Unlike the last gig, they have some kind of contingency plan; we set up inside if it looks like it'll rain.  The exciting thing of course is that this is Chicago.  Everything could look fine, we set up, then rain moves in before we start playing, or perhaps after we start.  Yeah, that could be fun.
  • But it won't matter because from what we've heard, the riders will eat some burgers or sandwiches, drink some beer, then leave.  Our challenge therefore is to actually be good enough to get them to stay and listen.
Our third gig if you count the two from last summer and still no payday, but this is a pretty nice place and apparently it's a huge deal to play there.  Just to be able to say you've played there gives you some cred, so what the fuck, let's rock and roll.  I'm looking forward to just playing somewhere other than the basement.

Pictures to follow, if we actually pull this off.  I'm still not quite believing it's happening.

Calvin6s

« Reply #976 on: September 11, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »
Good luck.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #977 on: September 11, 2015, 10:16:40 PM »
For those not following along (which is pretty much everybody, since this has gone on for so fucking long)

Hey now, this real life Spinal Tap saga is the very backbone of this thread! :tup

Good luck for the gig, Orb! I hope it all goes as well as can be expected under the circumstances.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #978 on: September 12, 2015, 08:39:01 AM »
Thanks for the well-wishes, guys.  I guess it wasn't the best choice of phrase; I know some people have been following along, but this really has been a ridiculous journey, and I recently referred to this band as an "almost-band" due to us spending nearly as much time without a full lineup (including several months without a lead singer) as we have with one, and someone asked for clarification.  So I was trying to jokingly refer to the fact that I felt the need to recap.

Finally getting to play that first gig is a great thing, and with all the lineup changes, this is a new band with a new name, so we're calling it our first gig.

We practiced Tuesday night because we couldn't get together over Labor Day weekend, and by time we were done (pushing 10:00 PM after working all day on a Tuesday that felt like a Monday) I was pretty wiped.  John asked if I wanted to just leave my piano there at his house, and he'll load it up with all the P.A. gear and his own stuff and bring it tomorrow.  At the time, it sounded like a good idea.  After running through all the songs again, I had them down.  I still do, but it's gonna kill me all day today to not run through them all one more time for tomorrow.  I'll practice my saxophone solos.  That'll be a real treat for my wife and daughter, who will be home today.  I'll have the tunes on my headphones, so all they'll hear will be saxophone solos, over and over.  If they're smart, they'll go shopping or something.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #979 on: September 12, 2015, 10:48:13 PM »
  • They want us to start at 2:30.  This is idiotic because the game starts at Noon and won't be over yet.  The riders will start showing up between 1:30 and 2:30, and the whole timetable was set up before anyone realized that it's the day of the home opener.  But they didn't want to change anything because all the posters were printed and timetables were sent out.  I can't even imagine someone telling us to start playing if the game is still going, but they said they'll have it on the TVs and just turn the sound down so we can play.  Um, okay.

Oh god i hope it works out, especially this part.  We have done a couple of gigs where we've had to play through a big game, and its never fun, especially if there's a bar full of people wanting to watch.  If the bar has any common sense they'll let the game run first.